HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Canada Russia challenge who will be watching (Hudon representing Canada)

Old
08-13-2012, 08:05 PM
overlords
Global Moderator
Canada's Mod

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phion Keneuf View Post
Hudon has been looking great! Good late pick by you guys.
Rielly looking pretty damn good, too!

"overlords is one of my favorite people on this entire site." - Hfboards
overlords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2012, 08:06 PM
le_sean

Quote:
Originally Posted by poetryinmotion View Post
Rielly did everything on that goal. I have to say I am pretty impressed with TO's pick.
Great play by him, but I felt that entire shift was controlled by Huberdeau. Sometimes he just turns it on and can do anything he wants.

Is it just me, or does Strome disappoint anyone else everytime they watch him? Seems like a waste of a 5th overall pick, he does nothing spectacular.

le_sean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2012, 08:08 PM
poetryinmotion

Quote:
Originally Posted by le_sean View Post
Great play by him, but I felt that entire shift was controlled by Huberdeau. Sometimes he just turns it on and can do anything he wants.
I know what u mean, he had a flash of offense and almost caused a goal, definitely put some needed pressure on net.

poetryinmotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2012, 08:26 PM
Mrb1p

I can't see why Slepyshev was not drafted.

And, we missed something big in Zlobin.. BIG.

Mrb1p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2012, 08:35 PM
DekeLikeYouMeanIt
Ohhhh you mad

Great now I've got 2 scouts bickering on my Twitter timeline.

DekeLikeYouMeanIt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2012, 09:01 PM
JohnnyB11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrb1p View Post

I respectfully disagree. I didn't get to see the game but one game doesn't make a player. Unless of course, you're Paul Henderson lol.

JohnnyB11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2012, 09:18 PM
Mrb1p

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyB11 View Post
I respectfully disagree. I didn't get to see the game but one game doesn't make a player. Unless of course, you're Paul Henderson lol.
Slepyshev has been part of the one of the best line of Russia so far. That's three game.

And Zlobin has been good since... I first saw him in January.

Old
08-13-2012, 09:28 PM
JohnnyB11

Quote:
Slepyshev has been part of the one of the best line of Russia so far. That's three game.

And Zlobin has been good since... I first saw him in January.
LOL

My comment wasn't directed at Slepyshev, I think the general consensus is that he's made it clear he has no intention of coming to North America which would explain his not being drafted.

I'm just saying, that to suggest the Habs missed BIG on Zlobin is way, way exagerated. Glad he's impressed you over the last six months, but I'm not disappointed he was passed over by the Habs. If he gets more than a cup of coffee in the NHL I'll be surprised. Time will tell.

JohnnyB11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2012, 09:28 PM
Ohashi_Jouzu

Quote:
Originally Posted by le_sean View Post

Is it just me, or does Strome disappoint anyone else everytime they watch him? Seems like a waste of a 5th overall pick, he does nothing spectacular.
I think he was the guy who was weak on the puck, leading to the first goal against this game. I haven't been impressed with him at all this series.

Actually, a LOT of the Canadian team fails to impress me with their strength on the puck/"puck poise". I always feel like they are able to be forced into mistakes with little body contact. And for all the skill they have on the back end, there's a noticeable lack of vision that leads to a lot of interceptions/lost pucks in the neutral zone.

Ohashi_Jouzu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2012, 09:43 PM
Ohashi_Jouzu

Quote:
LOL

My comment wasn't directed at Slepyshev, I think the general consensus is that he's made it clear he has no intention of coming to North America which would explain his not being drafted.
This is true. It would take a lot of money to get the 2011 1st overall KHL pick out of Russia; more than a lot of teams are willing to pony up until he's much, much more of a known/developed commodity. Was good enough to be a 1st rounder (maybe early 2nd), imo.

Quote:
I'm just saying, that to suggest the Habs missed BIG on Zlobin is way, way exagerated. Glad he's impressed you over the last six months, but I'm not disappointed he was passed over by the Habs. If he gets more than a cup of coffee in the NHL I'll be surprised. Time will tell.
I'd prepared to be surprised (many NHL teams will be). The guy quietly led the Mem. Cup champs in +/-, and was tied for 5th in the league (with Grigorenko) in goal scoring. He's turning into the complete package, and would be surprised if Pittsburgh didn't find a place in the lineup for him before long. He'd look great on Malkin's wing. Val D'or gave up quite a bit to get him out of Shawinigan, too, so it looks like his value continues to go up. He really isn't a surprise, though. Like the other guy said, he has been good for a while now, and on a couple of different stages.

Old
08-13-2012, 09:47 PM
Protest the Hero

Reilly hasn't really surprised me, I expected this from him. Knew he was going to be a good pick, too bad the Leafs drafted him.

Hudon however has exceeded my expectations, absolutely killing it on the power play. Give him time and space and he looks really good.

Is Dumba injured or something? He hasn't shown any physicality, barely any offensive instinct.

Protest the Hero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2012, 09:59 PM
Ohashi_Jouzu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Protest the Hero View Post
Reilly hasn't really surprised me, I expected this from him. Knew he was going to be a good pick, too bad the Leafs drafted him.

Hudon however has exceeded my expectations, absolutely killing it on the power play. Give him time and space and he looks really good.

Is Dumba injured or something? He hasn't shown any physicality, barely any offensive instinct.
You know what, though? I found he was one of the stronger defensemen on the puck when the pressure/forecheck was on, and made fewer mistakes moving the puck than other highly touted guys like Ceci, Murray, Murphy, etc.

As for Hudon, I really haven't been impressed except for the times you highlighted: when he has time/space and isn't pressured or faced with physicality. Obvious skills are obvious (I find he has trouble receiving/dealing with passes, though - especially in congested ice), but wimpy boy is still wimpy. That makes a huge difference, obviously, at the next level.

Old
08-13-2012, 10:23 PM
WeThreeKings

Send a message via MSN to WeThreeKings
Since I'm a negative nancy and just got back from the game..

Grigorenko, Rattie and Ceci were absolutely awful.

Murray proving me right about his lack of offensive upside, really poor decisions by him with the puck on the point, shot isn't threatening either.

A lot of people impressed with Murphy tonight, I wasn't, especially in the last minutes. Really selfish, really weak on the puck, bad decisions.

WeThreeKings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2012, 10:34 PM
Atas2000

Quote:

Slepyshev is a showcase of the 'russian factor'. KHL 2011 draft 1st overall pick, so he ended up with Novokuznetsk. One of the worst teams in the KHL but with great hockey school(Bobrovsky, Orlov, Kitsyn, Arzamastsev), great attitude towards young players where they actually get to play on the big team like Slepyshev at age 17. So the NHL GMs just fear he will stay like Kuznetsov.

Atas2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2012, 10:48 PM
DekeLikeYouMeanIt
Ohhhh you mad

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeThreeKings View Post
Since I'm a negative nancy and just got back from the game..

Grigorenko, Rattie and Ceci were absolutely awful.

Murray proving me right about his lack of offensive upside, really poor decisions by him with the puck on the point, shot isn't threatening either.

A lot of people impressed with Murphy tonight, I wasn't, especially in the last minutes. Really selfish, really weak on the puck, bad decisions.
Seriously? Rattie is a lot of fun to watch and he's solid. Murphy got his team going when they needed it the most. He was also proving to the staff that he'll do anything to play for the team. His D is almost non-existent but that's what happens with the type of player he is.

I'd say Dumba is the one that really had an off game.

DekeLikeYouMeanIt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2012, 10:52 PM
QuebecPride
@Etienne_Pouliot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohashi_Jouzu View Post
You know what, though? I found he was one of the stronger defensemen on the puck when the pressure/forecheck was on, and made fewer mistakes moving the puck than other highly touted guys like Ceci, Murray, Murphy, etc.
He also is playing with Rielly, so he has to baby sit. He did good defensively.

Also, I love the drive of Lessio, but this guy doesn't have the skill to play with Huberdeau and Scheifele. Wasted a lot of chances.

QuebecPride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2012, 11:42 PM
Mrb1p

Oh, and Scheifele is good.. I made so much fun of Winnipeg for drafting him instead of Cout's .. Now I might see why..

Amazing young kid's we have!

Old
08-13-2012, 11:44 PM
Mrb1p

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atas2000 View Post
Slepyshev is a showcase of the 'russian factor'. KHL 2011 draft 1st overall pick, so he ended up with Novokuznetsk. One of the worst teams in the KHL but with great hockey school(Bobrovsky, Orlov, Kitsyn, Arzamastsev), great attitude towards young players where they actually get to play on the big team like Slepyshev at age 17. So the NHL GMs just fear he will stay like Kuznetsov.
Still worth taking a late round chance to me.

Late round are for high-reward project type players. There's no ''safe'' pick.

Old
08-13-2012, 11:47 PM
WeThreeKings

Send a message via MSN to WeThreeKings
Quote:
Originally Posted by DekeLikeYouMeanIt View Post
Seriously? Rattie is a lot of fun to watch and he's solid. Murphy got his team going when they needed it the most. He was also proving to the staff that he'll do anything to play for the team. His D is almost non-existent but that's what happens with the type of player he is.

I'd say Dumba is the one that really had an off game.
All Rattie did all game long was skate down the wing and try to take the goalies head off with a wrist shot.

WeThreeKings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2012, 11:48 PM
Protest the Hero

Sean Monahan was all over the ice tonight, damn 2013 is going to be an amazing draft.

Protest the Hero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2012, 12:30 AM
Ohashi_Jouzu

Quote:
All Rattie did all game long was skate down the wing and try to take the goalies head off with a wrist shot.
So true.

Old
08-14-2012, 10:11 AM
windycity

Quote:
Originally Posted by habakkuk View Post
Don't you think that with only 7 draft rounds each year that each and every one is important? What determines sucess is getting the most from every pick.
I agree but you're reading way too much into one sentence in an article that was not about how the Habs develop players. And you misread it to boot since it clearly said that he has spoken with Habs management including (but not just) Timmins. And in any case, wouldn't you expect them to first get to the top picks first?

windycity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2012, 12:59 PM
Et le But

Quote:
Oh, and Scheifele is good.. I made so much fun of Winnipeg for drafting him instead of Cout's .. Now I might see why..

Amazing young kid's we have!
Although I was baffled at the time since paying more attention to him I've completely understood the Scheifele pick. As good as Cout has looked I think the Jets made a good gamble there.

Now Strome is another story.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohashi_Jouzu View Post
As for Hudon, I really haven't been impressed except for the times you highlighted: when he has time/space and isn't pressured or faced with physicality. Obvious skills are obvious (I find he has trouble receiving/dealing with passes, though - especially in congested ice), but wimpy boy is still wimpy. That makes a huge difference, obviously, at the next level.
I like the Hudon pick for what it was and the more I see of the kid I like him, but it's a little concerning how overrated he's starting to get on this board. He has nice strengths but his weaknesses right now are still the type that overwhelm at the next level.

Et le But is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2012, 01:01 PM
overlords
Global Moderator
Canada's Mod

Quote:
Yep, missed the net quite a bit too, iirc.

overlords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2012, 06:09 PM
Frozenice
the random dude

The anthems' are over, time to rock'n'roll.

Frozenice is offline   Reply With Quote