HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

CBA Negotiations

Closed Thread

Old
07-15-2012, 01:02 PM
FLYERSFAN18

vCash: 500
I don't know if anyone has posted this but:

There are a few article saying that the owners have a proposal on the table and the cap would $52.5 million.

That would be terrible if it happened, but I am pretty sure it won't

http://prohockeytalk.nbcsports.com/2...-52-5-million/

http://www.csnphilly.com/hockey-phil...638&feedID=704

Old
07-15-2012, 01:08 PM
Krishna

vCash: 50
I wonder if a lockout would end up being a bit good for our D prospects?

Timonen could possibly retire.
Bourdon, Gustafsson, Schenn all spend a year in the AHL or an overseas league

Old
07-15-2012, 01:29 PM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

vCash: 155
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krishna View Post

Ha, all the negativity around here and someone is able to find a plus for a lockout. Lol.

Old
07-17-2012, 08:57 AM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

Lockout Looming?

This is a scathing commentary by Haggerty....not my favorite writer especially when he rips the Flyers but this one is pretty appropriate considering the NHL's initial proposal which is just brutal...

If they go into lockout until Dec or Jan I think I will go batty.....need my Flyers fix pronto.

Quote:
Well, so much for a summer of cordial labor negotiations between NHL Commissioner Gary Bettman and NHLPA Executive Director Donald Fehr.

Sources within the NHLPA confirmed to CSNNE.com over the weekend that the laughable first offer submitted by the NHL last week was indeed not a rumor.

Here is the Greatest Hits package from the offer that left players scratching their heads:

• The players would take an 11 percent cut from 57 percent of the revenue share to 46 percent. And they could take a cut of well over 20 percent as both sides haggle over what actually constitutes Hockey Related Revenue (HRR) in the next collective bargaining agreement.

• The Salary Cap next season would be $52.516 million under the NHL's proposal – or more than $10 million less than it was during the 2011-12 NHL season. The cap ceiling would be just $4 million over the midpoint for each team. (According to capgeek.com 19 NHL teams are already over the proposed cap ceiling and the league is already $130 million in guaranteed money over the allowable salary for next season. The salary cap floor would remain $8 million under the midpoint total for each team.)

Continue

Old
07-17-2012, 11:54 PM
StandingCow

I am not worried about the NHL proposal. It is just an initial everything they want type proposal... as baseline to start negotiations.

It also gives you an idea of what they are shooting for.

Old
07-18-2012, 12:06 AM
BernieParent

Quote:
Originally Posted by StandingCow View Post
I am not worried about the NHL proposal. It is just an initial everything they want type proposal... as baseline to start negotiations.

It also gives you an idea of what they are shooting for.
While I'm not going to Chicken Little the situation, I disagree. There's a way of establishing a position of strength without setting fire to the negotiating table. That is calculated to scare Fehr, and I really don't see this as being an easy negotiation.

Old
07-18-2012, 07:34 PM
The Flin Flon Bomber

Quote:
Originally Posted by BernieParent View Post
While I'm not going to Chicken Little the situation, I disagree. There's a way of establishing a position of strength without setting fire to the negotiating table. That is calculated to scare Fehr, and I really don't see this as being an easy negotiation.
There were three rules my old grandpappy, God rest his old timey racist soul, used to live by.

1. Never play poker against a guy named after a city.
2. Never get less than 12 hours of sleep.
3. Never try to scare Donald Fehr as a negotiating tactic cuz that SOB don't scare.

This is a really brain dead move if they think they can scare Fehr into a compromise. If he could, Fehr would take the whole damn league down just to make his point. He's certainly taken down bigger sacred cows than anything the NHL could muster. Whether the players will go along for the ride is another story, but they didn't elect him as their union chief just for the hell of it. I have to imagine they'll go to the mattresses to protect what they have now.

Old
07-18-2012, 08:00 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beefitor

vCash: 156
Quote:

I'd rather have Timonen around to mentor or D prospects

07-18-2012, 09:39 PM
BernieParent

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Flin Flon Bomber View Post
There were three rules my old grandpappy, God rest his old timey racist soul, used to live by.

3. Never try to scare Donald Fehr as a negotiating tactic cuz that SOB don't scare.

This is a really brain dead move if they think they can scare Fehr into a compromise. If he could, Fehr would take the whole damn league down just to make his point. He's certainly taken down bigger sacred cows than anything the NHL could muster. Whether the players will go along for the ride is another story, but they didn't elect him as their union chief just for the hell of it. I have to imagine they'll go to the mattresses to protect what they have now.
I agree completely about Fehr. The NHLPA got ragdolled by the owners last time around, and having someone of Fehr's stature on their side is a clear indication that they are willing to take a scorched-earth approach. I believe that Bettman and the owners tossed out this "offer" as bravado that "you don't scare us". How much it comes to bite them -- and we the fans -- on the soft side will soon become apparent.

Old
08-13-2012, 06:17 PM
Krishna

NHLPA makes a counter offer tomorrow..

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/2012/..._negotiations/

Quote:
According to sources with the PA, instead of trying get the league's proposed wage rollback of 24 per cent down to 12 per cent or get free agency from 10 years to seven, where it stands currently -- instead of negotiating against themselves, in other words -- the PA has a grander vision in mind.
Quote:
The NHL's hard salary cap, a concession earned by locking out the players for a season in 2004-05?

Gone.

Instead how about an NHL featuring a marketplace that allows rich teams to spend what they want and the best players to earn what they're worth?

Rather than an artificial drag on salaries by way of a hard cap, how about a voluntary tax -- a luxury tax -- on teams that see fit to invest in talent?

Old
08-13-2012, 06:22 PM
Krishna

Also, a lot of players on twitter have been acting pretty childish..

@BRichards_1991

Interesting article today...... http://t.co/BzerMMYf

Henrik Lundqvist ‏@HLundqvist30
“@BRichards_1991: Interesting article today...... http://m.sportsbusinessdaily.com/Jou...ay.aspx” We can't be doing that bad then..

BrandonPrust8:
I wonder how many blocked shots, hits, fights, stitches, broken bones, concussions, and surgerys gary has had? http://t.co/xuDXtUUe

It's just childish. They aren't spending their time getting companies to sign to multi million dollar contracts for endorsements or tv deals..

Old
08-13-2012, 07:06 PM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

vCash: 155
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
Quote:
NHLPA makes a counter offer tomorrow..

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/2012/..._negotiations/
That would be cool. I don't understand why they don't do that. MLB has no cap and small market teams still compete. If rich teams want to spend, let them. If poor teams don't, ok.

Old
08-13-2012, 08:18 PM
BleedOrange
BuildThroughTheDraft

This all comes down to the big market clubs need to share more with the smaller market clubs.

Old
08-13-2012, 09:38 PM
FlyersCup08

Wow if they switch to like what the MLB does with a luxury tax, that would screw the smaller market teams and everything the NHL has worked towards since introducing the cap.

Fehr's proposal is gonna be outrageous, and looks like we'll have to endure another lockout.

Old
08-13-2012, 09:49 PM
nuclear reactor

Quote:
Also, a lot of players on twitter have been acting pretty childish..

@BRichards_1991

Interesting article today...... http://t.co/BzerMMYf

Henrik Lundqvist ‏@HLundqvist30
@BRichards_1991: Interesting article today...... http://m.sportsbusinessdaily.com/Jou...ay.aspx We can't be doing that bad then..

BrandonPrust8:
I wonder how many blocked shots, hits, fights, stitches, broken bones, concussions, and surgerys gary has had? http://t.co/xuDXtUUe

It's just childish. They aren't spending their time getting companies to sign to multi million dollar contracts for endorsements or tv deals..
Ha that's great. More players need to call out the clowns that run the NHL.

Old
08-13-2012, 10:54 PM
BrindamoursNose

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Flin Flon Bomber View Post

Is this from Maverick?

I'm sure your post has a lot of great thought, but I honestly just stopped dead in my tracks when I read this part.

Old
08-13-2012, 11:06 PM
Krishna

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuclear reactor View Post
Ha that's great. More players need to call out the clowns that run the NHL.
Bettman makes about 0.22% of the league's revenue.. That's not much.. Of the 4 major sports, he makes he least. The other 3 are making at least double him

Old
08-13-2012, 11:52 PM
nuclear reactor

Quote:
Bettman makes about 0.22% of the league's revenue.. That's not much.. Of the 4 major sports, he makes he least. The other 3 are making at least double him
Don't care about his salary. I'm not going to Obama his earnings; if a commissioner of a major sports league shouldn't make the kind of money I don't know who should. But incompetent hackery needs to be called out, and Bettman is an incompetent hack. I just wish the players would call him out more often on matters of substance.

Old
08-13-2012, 11:57 PM
hockeyfreak7

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuclear reactor View Post
Don't care about his salary. I'm not going to Obama his earnings; if a commissioner of a major sports league shouldn't make the kind of money I don't know who should. But incompetent hackery needs to be called out, and Bettman is an incompetent hack. I just wish the players would call him out more often on matters of substance.
What exactly has he been incompetent about?

It's fine to disagree with him on things, but if there's one thing he hasnt been, it's incompetent. The man has done exactly what he has wanted and been told to do.

As far as the comments of the NYR players, those are petty insults. Bettman is a businessman. A commissioner is supposed to be a businessman. Prust's comment especially are childish and expose a general lack of knowledge regarding the business side of the game.

Old
08-13-2012, 11:59 PM
Krishna

Incompetent hack that has us at record highs in revenue

Old
08-14-2012, 12:06 AM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

Quote:
My biggest concern with that kind of statement is that I kind of suspect that the NHL might be one of those "flavor-of-the-week underdogs" that the hipster community latches onto.

Notice how more and more idiots like hockey as if it was a trend against ESPN, against the NFL, against the NBA.

We're the "cool" indie band right now.

What happens to our record revenue when half these kids jump ship for something stupid?

Well, maybe I'm just overthinking things, but I do live in DC after all. What's in DC if not the epitome of "bandwagon"?

Old
08-14-2012, 12:21 AM
nuclear reactor

Quote:
Compared to... 1993, the last time someone else was in charge besides this buffoon? Although for a guy working on his third lockout after all the dead weight he's added to the league, any revenue is quite impressive.

Old
08-14-2012, 12:26 AM
Invictus146

Here's hoping both the owners/players have the sense to realize the damage/devastation a lockout could cause the game just things are starting to really run smoothly again and pick up.

Regarding the cap speculation: As has been noted a sudden, drastic lowering of the cap would definitely hit many, many teams hard. Has there been any word of potential rollback (% of player's salary) as there was in the last lockout? I can't imagine the players agreeing to such a thing right now or things working out otherwise. I also do believe that the cap has been ballooning way too fast to the point it's almost ruined the original concept

Old
08-14-2012, 12:49 AM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beefitor

vCash: 156
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Shafer View Post
My biggest concern with that kind of statement is that I kind of suspect that the NHL might be one of those "flavor-of-the-week underdogs" that the hipster community latches onto.

Notice how more and more idiots like hockey as if it was a trend against ESPN, against the NFL, against the NBA.

We're the "cool" indie band right now.

What happens to our record revenue when half these kids jump ship for something stupid?

Well, maybe I'm just overthinking things, but I do live in DC after all. What's in DC if not the epitome of "bandwagon"?
DC/Northern VA/Richmond is just a huge nest of hipsters. You might be influenced by that

Old
08-14-2012, 12:55 AM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish Invictus View Post
DC/Northern VA/Richmond is just a huge nest of hipsters. You might be influenced by that
I'm so sick of them; their stupid music taste preventing good bands from coming to DC; their stupid love of pathetic craft brewery perpetuating some godless charge that beer should be more expensive than some, hoppier than the rest, unpronounceable by most, and unavailable to everyone who doesn't line up to bumble**** bar in Columbia Heights; and their fake love of hockey when they couldn't even tell Carlson apart from Alzner. The skinny jeans, ugly glasses, annoying bikes, and apathetic personalities I can deal with. The rest? Not so much.

EDIT: Sorry for the rant.

Closed Thread