HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Three trades that turn Toronto into a legit eastern threat

Old
08-13-2012, 09:28 PM
Skobel24
#Ignited

vCash: 50
Flames say no.

Skobel24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2012, 09:36 PM
PasDaSquini

vCash: 500
Deal1- The Beaumeester-Phaneuf experiment failed once no point in trying it again.

Deal 2- Why would the Leafs trade Gardnier back to the ducks? Deal makes no sense.

Deal 3- Only deal I would consider.

PasDaSquini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2012, 09:55 PM
Pyrophorus

Send a message via MSN to Pyrophorus Send a message via Yahoo to Pyrophorus Send a message via Skype™ to Pyrophorus
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeridAl View Post
1. Boumeester is worth more then a 1st and Calgary has a good prospect goalie in Laurent Brossoit. Reimer right now has little value if any.

If I didn't know better, looking at these proposals, I would think the OP is pulling a April Fools joke.
That was a late one tonight.

Pyrophorus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2012, 09:57 PM
superrich

None of these trades would ever happen. But it would be really funny if trade 2 happened.

superrich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2012, 10:11 PM
Garfinkel1

Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway View Post
I'm not going to address the value of these deals, but assuming they were made, I'm not sure they make the Leafs a legit Eastern threat.
My thoughts exactly... I can name 5 teams that are EASILY better than that line up. Easily.

Garfinkel1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2012, 10:25 PM
kmad
Riot Survivor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crymson View Post
Vancouver would likely take this trade; it gives them a return for Luongo, whom they openly wish to move. However, I question the wisdom of the Leafs giving up Lupul in the deal.

Vancouver doesn't need Lupul or Biggs. They aren't just going to accept any offer.

kmad is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2012, 10:35 PM
DJOpus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jagorim Jarg View Post
Vancouver doesn't need Lupul or Biggs. They aren't just going to accept any offer.
As a Canucks fan, I'd probably accept Lupul and Biggs...Lupul would actually help address an issue and I think Biggs is a good prospect...unless he's not any more, then I'd want a better prospect (Colborne).

DJOpus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2012, 11:07 PM
neutral zone trap13

I seriously doubt Toronto can win anything big with a LW as their #1 centre.

neutral zone trap13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2012, 11:19 PM
TOGuy14

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJOpus View Post
As a Canucks fan, I'd probably accept Lupul and Biggs...Lupul would actually help address an issue and I think Biggs is a good prospect...unless he's not any more, then I'd want a better prospect (Colborne).
You're going to have to keep that probably stored in your dreams because Lupul wouldn't even be on the table for Luongo unless you were including other valuable pieces.

TOGuy14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2012, 12:19 AM
Crymson
Fire Holland

Quote:
There are very few teams that will take on Luongo's horrible contract. Vancouver hasn't any space to be picky if they want to move him; and they won't be so picky as to turn down Lupul. Toronto would be stupid to make that deal.

Crymson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2012, 12:53 AM
The Nuge
Farewell Smytty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skobel24 View Post
Flames say no.
Really? I don't even think Feaster is dumb enough to turn down a lottery pick for J-Bo

The Nuge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2012, 12:56 AM
ESH

Why on earth would we want James Reimer?

ESH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2012, 01:03 AM
Leafs24Seven*

Just plain NO to all three. Kessel took off from very good player to a top offensive player in the entire nhl playing with Lupul last year and we want to trade that asset? No way, as good as Bobby Ryan is, Lupul/Kessel have a chemistry not ofton found and need to build around that/them.

Leafs24Seven* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2012, 01:05 AM
Leafs24Seven*

Gillis would take that deal in a heartbeat, but fortunately Burke is much smarter than to offer Lupul/Biggs for Luongo.

Quote:
There are very few teams that will take on Luongo's horrible contract. Vancouver hasn't any space to be picky if they want to move him; and they won't be so picky as to turn down Lupul. Toronto would be stupid to make that deal.

Leafs24Seven* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2012, 01:09 AM
Whydidijoin*

Quote:
Um.. even ignoring the extreme overpayment that would be, last I checked, they do. In fact, they traded their top prospect for a player like Biggs.

Whydidijoin* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2012, 01:12 AM
FlyingKostitsyn

Quote:
Originally Posted by NathanHortonFan View Post
You might make the playoffs.
With JVR ( ) as a first line center I'm not even sure.

FlyingKostitsyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2012, 01:18 AM
unifiedtheory
Twitter: @ut_pez

If you do those deals I think it's a step sideways at best. Yes, you get the goaltender you sorely lack but you trade move sideways on defense and downgrade the forwards without adding a center.

Legit threat in the East?

The Rangers, Penguins and Bruins still run you out of the rink after these deals. You might make the playoffs making these deals.

unifiedtheory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2012, 01:19 AM
JuniorNelson

If I am B.Burke I'd try to pry Bryzgalov from Philadelphia, based on former association and Philidelphia might be in on the Luongo trade talk.

I'd trade for Getzlaf from Anahiem, paying whatever is needed. I'd then try for Murray from SJ or Fistric from Dallas for my defense corps.

JuniorNelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2012, 01:27 AM
kmad
Riot Survivor

Quote:
Luongo is a piece that turns Toronto into a playoff team. Do you think the Leafs organization would balk at $5.3 mil a year (actual cost being way less, since the contract was heavily front loaded) to make the playoffs?

kmad is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2012, 01:28 AM
Imlach a cup

Good read A++. Thread title should be "three trades that make Jay Feaster look better by comparison." the east as whole is not very impressive. Boston, NYR, Pitt, and Philly hold 4 spots then everything else is pretty much up for grabs. As is between Buffalo, Toronto, Montreal, and Ottawa there isn't a team that stands out. It wouldn't suprise me to see any of those teams in playoffs and it wouldn't suprise me to see none of them. Very weak division with a bunch of top talent prospects atm. In 3 years could be a powerhouse division but right now it's anyone's game.

Imlach a cup is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2012, 01:29 AM
Sojourn
Global Moderator
Where's the kaboom?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whydidijoin View Post
And Ryan would still get 2nd-line ice time in Toronto, because he wouldn't take the #1 RW spot from Kessel. It doesn't matter what Lupul was in Anaheim. They have already admitted they misused him.

On Toronto, Lupul is a PPG player, and a perfect compliment for Kessel. We gain no benefit by trading Lupul for Ryan. It actually makes us worse off because we trade a top LW for a top RW spot that is already filled. Not to mention that Lupul accomplished more last year than Ryan did in any year.

I don't care if Ryan is worth more than Lupul. It makes no sense to make that trade.
Ryan can play either wing. In other words, he'd have no problem stepping into Lupul's spot, and since he's the better player, Toronto would definitely benefit from that deal. I have all the respect in the world for Lupul, but he's got a couple of years on Ryan, has never hit 30 goals, or broken the 70-point mark, and this is with the opportunity to play on the 1st PP unit.

However, it makes no sense from Anaheim's perspective. Gardiner is the biggest piece in that deal for them, and Anaheim has Sbisa, Fowler, and Lindholm. There is simply no motivation for Anaheim to move Ryan, a consistent 30-goal player(without 1st unit PP time) for Gardiner + scraps. That doesn't even begin to tempt them into trading Ryan. That deal makes a hell of a lot more sense for Toronto than it does for Anaheim, and it starts with it being highway robbery.

Sojourn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2012, 02:18 AM
FakeKidPoker*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duck Sauce View Post
FakeKidPoker takes a jab at Calgary without reading the first three pages of a thread?

LOL
I read the first page all i Needed.

FakeKidPoker* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2012, 02:30 AM
Imlach a cup

Quote:
Originally Posted by FakeKidPoker View Post
I read the first page all i Needed.
Then you missed out on a rollicking good time.

Imlach a cup is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2012, 09:17 AM
wubwubwubwub
What, Me Worry?

Can't see Anaheim accepting less for Ryan than they gave for Beauchemin. Sure, Gardiner has progressed but still. That's a huge difference in value.

wubwubwubwub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2012, 09:42 AM
Xoggz22

Regardless of value in the OP, are we talking a threat to make the playoffs? Ryan is a great addition for any team but the leafs would remain weak at center. Put Ryan and JVR on the wings and get him a center. Any thought of putting Kadri in the top 6 seems like a stretch to expect production next year. And the swap on D from Gardner to JayBo seems like a mistake for Toronto. I like JayBo but for the leafs it adds another big contract and damages the future on the back end.

I just don't think these moves are enough to put TML in the playoffs and the long term ramifications seem like a bigger negative. And I didn't even mention the values of the deals likely don't match the reality of each player/situation.

Xoggz22 is online now   Reply With Quote