HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Edmonton-Columbus

Old
08-14-2012, 12:48 AM
Greasy Sliders

vCash: 500
What would you CBJ fans give up for Jenner then ? I think he'd be a good fit here in Edmonton.

Greasy Sliders is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2012, 01:01 AM
SDig14

Both Jenner and Pitlick are early 2nd rounders, can play physical, and can bring some offense. Both teams are likely pretty high on them, doubt they would deal them. The Oilers passed on Jenner and had Pitlick ranked much higher than the 31st pick they used to take him.

Even if they're a wash, a 1st + Harti for Wiz could be brutal for us if that ends up being Jones, Monahan, Shinkaruk, Barkov, mackinnon, etc....if that pick is in the 20s and we are a playoff team, then it's probably a bad deal for the jackets.

SDig14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2012, 01:03 AM
Viqsi
carrying the flag

Send a message via AIM to Viqsi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilers10 View Post
What would you CBJ fans give up for Jenner then ? I think he'd be a good fit here in Edmonton.
We kind of like him and don't want to trade him. The prospect pool is pretty well set as is with the exception of "no top-end forwards", but he won't get those sorts of assets back, so there's really no reason to move him.

Thanks, Howson, for cleaning up MacLean's toxic waste. Welcome, Kekalainen; let's get good things built!
Viqsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2012, 01:51 AM
Bryanbryoil
I Know A Thing Or 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by sully61 View Post
Edmonton is going to suck one more year so they can get Jones with the #2 pick then they'll make a couple nice off season signings and they'll be real set for two years until they need to pay everyone haha. Who's first to go, Yak, RNH, Hall, Eberle?
http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh....php?t=1246091

http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh...&postcount=115

Ie. good luck with that.

Not to mention you'd think that someone whose team had Datsyuk, Zetterberg, and Lidstrom eating as much of a lower cap as they did that you'd know better than to post nonsense like that.

08-14-2012, 03:05 AM
jumptheshark
Give the dog a bone

Quote:
To EDM:
Boone Jenner
James Wisniewski

To CBJ:
Teemu Hartikainan
Tyler Pitlick
1st Round pick

Edmonton doesn't need anymore 1st rounders , there gonna run out space to sign them all. All there young forwards are flashy offensive players , without many power forwards. Boone Jenner would fit this role. They also need at least 1 more OFD , and wisniewski might need a change of scenery.
Columbus is obviously in a rebuild , and first round picks and prospects is what they'd need. Thoughts ?
you can not be an oiler fan

Last edited by spiny norman: 08-14-2012 at 09:22 AM. Reason: not needed
jumptheshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2012, 03:10 AM
Eskimo44

If Edmonton needs a power forward, why are they trading two more ready ones for one? Wisnewski wouldn't be bad, but he's overpaid. If we hold onto our pick we'll have the 5-15 pick most likely. At the draft we saw Carolina use a pick in that range to land a star player. Edmonton would be better off holding onto the pick unless they are getting a star player in return. Wisnewski does not qualify as that IMO.

Eskimo44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2012, 04:21 AM
thadd
Oil4Life

Send a message via MSN to thadd
Quote:
To EDM:
Boone Jenner
James Wisniewski

To CBJ:
Teemu Hartikainan
Tyler Pitlick
1st Round pick

Edmonton doesn't need anymore 1st rounders , there gonna run out space to sign them all. All there young forwards are flashy offensive players , without many power forwards. Boone Jenner would fit this role. They also need at least 1 more OFD , and wisniewski might need a change of scenery.
Columbus is obviously in a rebuild , and first round picks and prospects is what they'd need. Thoughts ?
I wouldn't even want to make this deal if you took the first rounder out.

Wiz is an overplayed 1-way d-man IMO and Edmonton doesn't need to take on all of this salary, because really, who's job is he going to take? I'd much rather have Petry playing PMD on the first pairing. He's grown a lot over the past few seasons and his chemistry with Smid was amazing last year. Pretty sure Justin Schultz has been promised second pairing minutes and that'll have him paired with either Sutton or Scultz, who'll be playing the stay at home roll. I can't see Wiz flourishing under that roll. He could probably outplay Whitney, but why on earth would we cough up so much and absorb so much cap space for a guy we peg to play on our third line?

I'm huge fans of Pitlick and Hartikainen. They're our only punishing/gritty forwards who're expect to fit nicely into a top 9 roll on our team. Hartikainen plays both wings and Pitlick plays wing and center. Keeping them gives us way too many options down the road to consider making this move.

thadd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2012, 07:59 AM
roboninja
EYG

Yeah, I would not do the trade even if the 1st was removed either. The main reason being we do not want or need James Wisniewski.

roboninja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2012, 08:51 AM
Xoggz22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryanbryoil View Post
That trade could come back to bite us in the ass HARD. We just added J. Schultz and then we acquire someone to bump him off the 1PP before he even gets a chance there?
I'm not advocating the deal but wouldn't you want a guy like Schultz to learn more about the PP before throwing him on the 1st unit. Expectations for Schultz as a rookie seem to be astronomically high. He's likely to be up and down his first year and Wiz - with his faults - is a very good guy to learn from and would be a great PP1 guy in Edmonton with that young talent.

Nothing says Schultz wouldn't ultimately man the top unit even with Wiz there. They could both be used on the top unit eventually.

As for the suggestion, Columbus is looking for skill up front at this point. While I'd love another 2013 1st, we need an influx of offensive skill to go with the grit and two way play already on the roster. I could see something around MPS to Columbus but don't dare offer a trade for fear of ridicule.

Xoggz22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2012, 09:29 AM
roboninja
EYG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xoggz22 View Post
I'm not advocating the deal but wouldn't you want a guy like Schultz to learn more about the PP before throwing him on the 1st unit. Expectations for Schultz as a rookie seem to be astronomically high. He's likely to be up and down his first year and Wiz - with his faults - is a very good guy to learn from and would be a great PP1 guy in Edmonton with that young talent.
You are correct on J. Schultz. But our PP was 3rd in the league last year; 1st before RNH went down. What makes you think Wiz would make it better?

roboninja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2012, 12:36 PM
candyman82

Quote:
Originally Posted by roboninja View Post
You are correct on J. Schultz. But our PP was 3rd in the league last year; 1st before RNH went down. What makes you think Wiz would make it better?
He has a booming shot and has great PP instincts. Just because your PP was really good doesn't mean that it can't get better.

candyman82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2012, 01:16 PM
Bryanbryoil
I Know A Thing Or 6

Quote:

Nothing says Schultz wouldn't ultimately man the top unit even with Wiz there. They could both be used on the top unit eventually.

As for the suggestion, Columbus is looking for skill up front at this point. While I'd love another 2013 1st, we need an influx of offensive skill to go with the grit and two way play already on the roster. I could see something around MPS to Columbus but don't dare offer a trade for fear of ridicule.
He will be up and down like all rookies, however let's say that he replaces Wiz there after 1/2 a season. That means that we are on the hook for Wiz for 4 1/2 seasons at $5.5 million to be our 2 PP guy. We have to make wise financial decisions going forward to retain our high end guys and to fill enough holes with quality players so that we can compete for a cup in the somewhat near future. Trust me it's not that I don't like Wiz, just that I really like Schultz and our club needs to be fiscally responsible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by candyman82 View Post
He has a booming shot and has great PP instincts. Just because your PP was really good doesn't mean that it can't get better.
Agreed, and Wiz would be a LOT better than anything that we had resembling a point presence last year. However I'd like to see what Schultz can do in that role, we won't be competing for the cup next year so we may as well see what we have before taking on a lengthy contract for a guy that we might be able to replace cheaper with someone in house.

Bryanbryoil is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2012, 01:26 PM
Spitsfan67*

Nah who knows where Edmonton will end up not gunna just Throw away a FIRST round pick just because the OIL have had first overall pick three staight years....and James and Boone are definetly NOT Worth it ....Edmonton can offer there first in a better deal for a better player or goalie.

Spitsfan67* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2012, 02:25 PM
rockinghockey

EDM does not need another puck moving dman, they need a dman that has size that is hard to play against. EDM needs another Smid.

rockinghockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2012, 03:58 PM
Xoggz22

Quote:
He will be up and down like all rookies, however let's say that he replaces Wiz there after 1/2 a season. That means that we are on the hook for Wiz for 4 1/2 seasons at $5.5 million to be our 2 PP guy. We have to make wise financial decisions going forward to retain our high end guys and to fill enough holes with quality players so that we can compete for a cup in the somewhat near future. Trust me it's not that I don't like Wiz, just that I really like Schultz and our club needs to be fiscally responsible.
My thinking was more Wiz and someone else first and then Wiz and Schultz on the 1st PP. I would think that would be a solid point set on the PP. I don't want to get rid of Wiz for the record I think Schultz has potential but I see a lot of pressure on this kid already and he hasn't even made the Oilers yet.

I agree with the fiscal responsibility. I don't think Wiz would hurt you if he went to the Oil. His contract is certainly big and with 5 years remaining I understand the potential for concern but also see you have several contracts that come off the books before big contracts for the young guns. Just conjecture I guess. Like I said, I like Wiz on the CBJ but think he would be a good fit in Edmonton too.

Old
08-14-2012, 04:24 PM
Perro

Teemu is amazing. Edmonton should not only keep him but try and find a place for him on the third line.
With all of their wingers, once they actually see how Nail does in the NHL they should trade Hemsky.
Always thought Hemsky to Pittsburgh for Martin and a 2nd would make sense.

Perro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2012, 04:32 PM
Soundwave

Quote:
Edmonton is going to suck one more year so they can get Jones with the #2 pick then they'll make a couple nice off season signings and they'll be real set for two years until they need to pay everyone haha. Who's first to go, Yak, RNH, Hall, Eberle?
Hate to burst your little fantasy, but none of them are going anywhere if the Oilers want to keep them.

Even at $6 mill per/average for all four of them that's not even close to half of a $65-$70 million dollar cap.

After Horcoff is done in three years (right when Yak's deal will be up), the Oilers don't even have any other long term contracts to worry about, it's basically all clear cap space.

If this is the group of four (heck, five even, through Schultz in there at $5-$6 mill per too) want to use as their franchise anchors, it's not a problem.

As for this trade, no way does CLB put their 1st on the table, and no way does Edmonton take on Wisniewski's contract, especially now that they basically got Justin Schultz on a dirt cheap ELC deal.

Soundwave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2012, 05:27 PM
jukon
#Nailedit

I like Jenner, but I also like Pitlick and Harski. I'd rather keep the kids we drafted.

jukon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2012, 06:24 PM
Roof Daddy

I'd prefer to hold onto Pitlick rather than obtain Jenner. Pitlick is a better skater with a better shot. Physicality is a wash, defensive side of the puck goes to Jenner. Pitlick is a year further in his development, why make an acquisition that sets you back a year. And don't get me started on dealing our 1st. Horrible proposal.

Roof Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2012, 08:14 PM
Homesick
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by candyman82 View Post
Out: Tom Renney, Linus Omark and Cam Barker
In: Ralph Krueger, Nail Yakupov and Justin Schultz

I think its fair to say that it will be better

Homesick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2012, 11:04 PM
Bryanbryoil
I Know A Thing Or 6

Quote:
My thinking was more Wiz and someone else first and then Wiz and Schultz on the 1st PP. I would think that would be a solid point set on the PP. I don't want to get rid of Wiz for the record I think Schultz has potential but I see a lot of pressure on this kid already and he hasn't even made the Oilers yet.

I agree with the fiscal responsibility. I don't think Wiz would hurt you if he went to the Oil. His contract is certainly big and with 5 years remaining I understand the potential for concern but also see you have several contracts that come off the books before big contracts for the young guns. Just conjecture I guess. Like I said, I like Wiz on the CBJ but think he would be a good fit in Edmonton too.
Wiz and Schultz are RH shots, we run the top PP with 1 point man. I just don't see the reason to take on his contract at this point TBH. He fits in well there and if we didn't have Schultz then I could see us targeting him, however this IMO is a case of both teams being happy with what they've got.

Bryanbryoil is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2012, 10:45 AM
Xoggz22

Quote:
Wiz and Schultz are RH shots, we run the top PP with 1 point man. I just don't see the reason to take on his contract at this point TBH. He fits in well there and if we didn't have Schultz then I could see us targeting him, however this IMO is a case of both teams being happy with what they've got.
Understood. I was thinking Schultz was a LH shot for some reason. I agree it may have made sense at one point and there would be potential value but not as things shake out currently. Good luck. Here's hoping you don't get #1 for 4 years in a row.

Old
08-15-2012, 01:59 PM
5RingsAndABeer
John MacKinnon Fan

vCash: 1220
Quote:
Your sour grapes coping mechanism is showing.

The Oilers won't have any issues making cap room for those 4.

5RingsAndABeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2012, 02:00 PM
Homesick
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5RingsAndABeer View Post
Your sour grapes coping mechanism is showing.

The Oilers won't have any issues making cap room for those 4.
Exactly. 3/4 of those guys will only be looking at a 2 million dollar cap hit raise from their ELC

Homesick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2012, 02:14 PM
Pekka Rinne

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viqsi View Post

...annnnd that's where I stopped reading.

"Generous".
Haha ya that is generous, lets see:

Tyler Pitlick:
Weight: 198 lbs
Height: 6'2
HF rating: 7.0C
Drafted 31st overall 2010
Advantages: Skating, Shot

Boone Jenner:
Weight: 205 lbs
Height: 6'1
HF Rating: 7.0C
Drafted 37th overall 2011
Advantages: Defensively (by a hair)

Physicality is a wash, but Pitlick is a year ahead.

There are close but Pitlick is definitely better.

Pekka Rinne is offline   Reply With Quote