HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Armchair GM Thread - Part XXIX

Closed Thread

Old
08-13-2012, 07:10 PM
BerSTUzzi

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by y2kcanucks View Post
Difference between Kassian and Getzlaf. One is an NHL star, the other hasn't shown he's anything more than a fringe 4th liner.
I really hope you are talking about Kassian's current potential line he could be playing on this year and not his overall potential. I am also not saying he is Getzlaf at all, but his potential is easily of a 2nd line winger.

Old
08-13-2012, 07:38 PM
John Swartzwelder
MOAR TUFFNESS!!!1

Getzlaf is nowhere near as good as Mason Raymond

Old
08-13-2012, 07:38 PM
ddawg1950

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Swartzwelder View Post
We should retire his jersey.

Old
08-13-2012, 09:42 PM
Wilch
Unregistered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Swartzwelder View Post
We talking about looks here? Because nobody in the NHL is prettier than pretty boy Macy

Old
08-14-2012, 01:16 AM
Kmode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiranis View Post
Every single scouting report out of juniors highlights his playmaking ability. I don't think the comparison with Getzlaf is there because Getzlaf is on another level in that regard. Still, Kassian does have good vision.
Have you seen it? I don't care what any scouting reports say about a guy 3 years ago. Bottomline is that he hasn't shown me any playmaking abilities in his short NHL career thus far and seems to me like more of a crash and bang power forward who will probably get most of his goals off of rebounds and tips.

Old
08-14-2012, 01:30 AM
Luck 6
\\_______

Quote:
Originally Posted by VinnyC View Post
Kassian isn't a playmaker or even a pass first player at all; doesn't have the same hockey IQ either. Hopefully won't have the same attitude problems. Not even remotely close to being comparable to Getzlaf.
What? This is exactly what Kassian is. He's a playmaking winger, go check his stats throughout his hockey career. He's a smart, pass first player with a mean streak. I actually think Getz is an alright comparison.

Old
08-14-2012, 01:34 AM
VinnyC
vancity, c-bus, 'peg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luck 6 View Post
What? This is exactly what Kassian is. He's a playmaking winger, go check his stats throughout his hockey career. He's a smart, pass first player with a mean streak. I actually think Getz is an alright comparison.
I admit I never watched him in juniors/minors but from what I've seen so far of him in the NHL he seems more of a cycling virtuoso. Though he hasn't been placed in ideal scoring situations.

Old
08-14-2012, 01:48 AM
Wilch
Unregistered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kmode View Post
Have you seen it? I don't care what any scouting reports say about a guy 3 years ago. Bottomline is that he hasn't shown me any playmaking abilities in his short NHL career thus far and seems to me like more of a crash and bang power forward who will probably get most of his goals off of rebounds and tips.
So you haven't been watching?

He's made some pretty good passes out there.

Old
08-14-2012, 01:52 AM
Reverend Mayhem

Send a message via Skype™ to Reverend Mayhem
Quote:
Originally Posted by VinnyC View Post
I admit I never watched him in juniors/minors but from what I've seen so far of him in the NHL he seems more of a cycling virtuoso. Though he hasn't been placed in ideal scoring situations.
Joe Thornton in his rookie season is a far cry from the player he is today. Moral of the story is we haven't seen enough of Kassian in the right situation in the big league to make snap judgments yet.

Old
08-14-2012, 01:58 AM
Al Swearengen
Smug Nation National

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reverend Mayhem View Post
Joe Thornton in his rookie season is a far cry from the player he is today. Moral of the story is we haven't seen enough of Kassian in the right situation in the big league to make snap judgments yet.
If Kassian turns out to be anything like Jumbo in the Boston days, I will literally weep tears of joy.

Old
08-14-2012, 02:17 AM
Reverend Mayhem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Swearengen View Post
If Kassian turns out to be anything like Jumbo in the Boston days, I will literally weep tears of joy.
Whoa now. I'm certainly NOT comparing the two players at all. Although if does turn out like Thornton I would be immensely happy.

Old
08-14-2012, 02:56 AM
Hodgy

I am not willing to write off Kassian's playmaking ability at this point. But what I will say, is that he hasn't shown much, if any, at the NHL level. As bad as Hodgson was at times in his rookie season, you could always see that he had great vision on the ice and made smart plays with the puck. Problem was he was/is super slow and weak on his skates.

Old
08-14-2012, 03:07 AM
Wilch
Unregistered User

Quote:
It's funny, Kassian has 3 points in 17 games in his first season. Thornton has 7 in 55 games in his first season with the B's.

If Kassian is to become a special player for us down the road, I expect him to produce within the next 2 seasons. Pot 30-40 points for us this coming season and I'll be ecstatic. Anything more will be bonus, anything less... Oh well.

Old
08-14-2012, 03:30 AM
Verviticus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilch View Post
It's funny, Kassian has 3 points in 17 games in his first season. Thornton has 7 in 55 games in his first season with the B's.

If Kassian is to become a special player for us down the road, I expect him to produce within the next 2 seasons. Pot 30-40 points for us this coming season and I'll be ecstatic. Anything more will be bonus, anything less... Oh well.
thornton was 18

Old
08-14-2012, 03:35 AM
Al Swearengen
Smug Nation National

Quote:
Whoa now. I'm certainly NOT comparing the two players at all. Although if does turn out like Thornton I would be immensely happy.
I was just trying to convey that it would be a bit of a surprise. I'm not a big crier.

Old
08-14-2012, 03:52 AM
Reverend Mayhem

Quote:

What's your definition of special though? If he can produce at a 25-30-55 level while throwing the body and being a playoff performer, I'd consider him every bit special and well worth Cody Hodgson.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Swearengen View Post
I was just trying to convey that it would be a bit of a surprise. I'm not a big crier.
I only had to said that because I knew if I didn't some guy trying to oppose everything and be altruistic would be like: "That's so stupid you can't compare those two." and he'd be right.

Old
08-14-2012, 04:02 AM
Al Swearengen
Smug Nation National

Quote:

I only had to said that because I knew if I didn't some guy trying to oppose everything and be altruistic would be like: "That's so stupid you can't compare those two." and he'd be right.
Hey, you don't have to explain yourself to me. You're the Reverend.

Old
08-14-2012, 04:22 AM
RobertKron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verviticus View Post
thornton was 18
Thornton also went first overall and has gone roughly PPG in 1000+ games.

Old
08-14-2012, 05:08 AM
Verviticus

Quote:
Originally Posted by MW View Post
Thornton also went first overall and has gone roughly PPG in 1000+ games.
neat fact. why did you tell me this?

Old
08-14-2012, 06:07 AM
Reverend Mayhem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verviticus View Post
neat fact. why did you tell me this?
I feel the need to tell you whenever I see your name, I imagine a velociraptor typing away at a keyboard in the remote jungles of Africa.

Old
08-14-2012, 06:30 AM
Wisp

If Kassian gets offensive opportunities this season, I don't think its an unfair expectation that he put up decent points. If he's grinding or checking, then downgrade your expectations.

He's on year 2 of ELC next year, basically where Hodgson was last year. Strong summer of conditioning and training, too. And unlike Hodgson, he doesn't have to shift from his natural position to play with Kesler.

Last edited by Wisp: 08-14-2012 at 06:43 AM.
Old
08-14-2012, 10:59 AM
ddawg1950

Quote:
I feel the need to tell you whenever I see your name, I imagine a velociraptor typing away at a keyboard in the remote jungles of Africa.
^

Thanks.

Old
08-14-2012, 11:16 AM
Treefingers
\_(ツ)_/

Quote:
So you haven't been watching?

He's made some pretty good passes out there.
Pretty much this.

Old
08-14-2012, 12:54 PM
NYVanfan

Rented a car this past weekend, it had Sat radio ... Jim Boomer Gordon and Scott Laughlin are doing their annual GM Report Cards on NHL Home Ice on Sirius XM..

Pretty interesting stuff ...when it came to the Canucks, they both pretty much trashed Gillis; C and C- grades, respectively. Chief complaints:

1. Goaltending carousel not handled well (ie the trade shoulde been made sooner)
2. Hodgson not handled well (blasted MG for trashing Coho publicly after the deal.)
3. Where are the kids? No Gillis drafted players in the lineup. Pretty much reiterated this: http://sports.nationalpost.com/2012/...m-mike-gillis/
4. Following #3, overall most of the lineup he inherited. What significant moves has he made on the lineup? Hamhuis and Garrison wanted to come here, and the Booth trade is looking iffy early on.

I know there's Gillis transaction thread, but thought this was interesting enough to post here. Also, I am a Gillis defender, I like everything he's done for the mostpart, but they did raise some good points.

Old
08-14-2012, 01:14 PM
vanwest

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYVanfan View Post
Rented a car this past weekend, it had Sat radio ... Jim Boomer Gordon and Scott Laughlin are doing their annual GM Report Cards on NHL Home Ice on Sirius XM..

Pretty interesting stuff ...when it came to the Canucks, they both pretty much trashed Gillis; C and C- grades, respectively. Chief complaints:

1. Goaltending carousel not handled well (ie the trade shoulde been made sooner)
2. Hodgson not handled well (blasted MG for trashing Coho publicly after the deal.)
3. Where are the kids? No Gillis drafted players in the lineup. Pretty much reiterated this: http://sports.nationalpost.com/2012/...m-mike-gillis/
4. Following #3, overall most of the lineup he inherited. What significant moves has he made on the lineup? Hamhuis and Garrison wanted to come here, and the Booth trade is looking iffy early on.

I know there's Gillis transaction thread, but thought this was interesting enough to post here. Also, I am a Gillis defender, I like everything he's done for the mostpart, but they did raise some good points.
I guess winning back to back President's trophies doesn't get you much these days.
I think that some of the comments were unfair. Hamhuis and Garrison were two of the most sought after free agents. A level below Suter etc. but significant nonetheless. Why did they want to come here? Probably because Gillis has created a winning environment that attracts free agents even though Canadian cities and especially western Canadian cities have had trouble attracting free agents. I bet you that they gave Minnesota high marks for attracting Parise and Suter, despite the fact that obviously both guys wanted to play there for various reasons. A double standard if you ask me.
On the handling of the goalie situation, if the offers are low, I think Gillis has been smart to not trade Luongo for table scraps. We'll see how this plays out but so far holding onto him for the summer has had zero impact on the team.
On the criticism of no Gillis drafted players in the lineup, Hodgson was a Gillis drafted player who brought us Kassian. As for the other Gillis drafted players when you've only been here three years and have one of the top teams you shouldn't expect a lot of rookies to make the team.
Having said all of that I don't have a lot of problem with the grade as I think most GM's should get a C. I'd probably say that Gillis is in his tenure in Vancouver has been well above average but over the last 12 months (assuming that is what the grade is based on) I'd probably give him a C+ which could obviously improve depending on the Luongo trade.

Closed Thread