HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Mancrush proposal: NYI and PHX

Old
08-13-2012, 11:49 PM
The Nuge
Farewell Smytty

vCash: 1026
Quote:
Originally Posted by glasses91 View Post
doesn NYI want anyone from the leafs for that package?
Macarthur and Grabovski sounds pretty close to me...

Kessel probably won't even fetch that package

The Nuge is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2012, 01:08 AM
LotteryForLife

vCash: 500
Please will everyone just stop with the brutal Islander proposals. Enough! The proposals on this site literally make my stomach turn

LotteryForLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2012, 04:21 AM
Fist of Fury
Wang Chung

Quote:
Originally Posted by blinkman360 View Post
to PHX: Ryan Strome, Griffin Reinhart, Michael Grabner

to NYI: Oliver Ekman-Larsson

I'm sure both sides won't like it. But I get half-mast when I think about OEL in an Isles sweater so I figured I'd give it a shot.
Why not just add in Tavares while you're at it.

Fist of Fury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2012, 07:46 AM
SSoH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grabs40 View Post
Why not just add in Tavares while you're at it.
God for bid you have to give two players with 0 NHL games and a 3rd liner with one good year for # 1 dman, oh the horror!

SSoH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2012, 07:51 AM
Kaner Coffee
Anna for Hart Trophy

Coyotes get railed in the OP's proposal. Sure they get some nice players back, but OEL is not the kind of player that teams should flippantly trade.

Kaner Coffee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2012, 07:55 AM
kasper11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Streit Power View Post
why in the hell would the Isles give up SO MUCH for him??

I mean, Reinhart could potentially become just as good as OEL in a few years, and then you add two other really good young forwards with great potential...

no thanks
He could. Or he could be a complete bust and never make the NHL. If you want a player who has proven he can play at a high level in the NHL and is still just 21 years old and on his entry level deal you have to give up more than just a prospect. The only reason for Phoenix to give up a player like OEL would be for the potential to end up with a much better deal. Otherwise, they would just keep the sure thing.

kasper11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2012, 08:05 AM
roboninja
EYG

The value is close OP. Maybe PHX just hangs up on calls about OEL, but I have a feeling any GM with OEL would at least consider this trade. They might not make it but it would have to be considered. The Isles are sending great pieces back.

EDIT: OEL is not a sure thing either. That's ridiculous to say after one great year.

roboninja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2012, 08:15 AM
blinkman360
Joffrey Lives

Quote:
Originally Posted by LotteryForLife View Post
Please will everyone just stop with the brutal Islander proposals. Enough! The proposals on this site literally make my stomach turn
Don't you make brutal proposals here every day?

blinkman360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2012, 08:17 AM
CREW99AW

Quote:

I'm sure both sides won't like it. But I get half-mast when I think about OEL in an Isles sweater so I figured I'd give it a shot.
Love OEL's potential, but not enough to give up that package.

CREW99AW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2012, 08:27 AM
blinkman360
Joffrey Lives

Quote:
Originally Posted by CREW99AW View Post
Love OEL's potential, but not enough to give up that package.
IMO he is already a top-10 NHL defenseman. Top-15 at worst. At the age of 21 I'd say that's pretty impressive. Considering he still hasn't reached his full potential really makes this trade a no-brainer for me considering the Isles really only lose Grabner from their current roster(who is slated for the 3rd line anyway at this point and can be replaced by someone like Ullstrom).

Strome is obviously a great prospect, but with Nelson stepping up his game last year I think he could be groomed for the 2nd line center role in Strome's place. Reinhart has huge upside as well, and could be our Pronger/Weber if all goes well, but he could also be our Ty Wishart if it doesn't. Either way, if you add OEL to the Isles blue-line you end up with something like this:

OEL - Hamonic
Streit - MacDonald
Donovan/deHaan - Visnovsky/Carkner

As the years go on we'll have one of deHaan or Donovan ready to make the team, as well as Mayfield, who I think is one of our more underrated prospects. Add in other solid prospects who could surprise people like Pedan, Kichton, Ness, Pelech, Pokka... and I can live with including Reinhart if it meant getting back a legit franchise defenseman.

Either way, IMO this is all moot since I couldn't see PHX trading OEL for any package short of Tavares. I guess the point of this thread was to see if I could at least get Coyotes fans to consider it.

Old
08-14-2012, 08:39 AM
Andre Benoit Bawls
Classless Chaps

vCash: 50
Not enough for OEL. I think OEL ends up better than Karlsson, at least for a decent stretch. OEL is only traded in a package for a top 5-10 player.

Andre Benoit Bawls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2012, 08:42 AM
CREW99AW

Quote:
IMO he is already a top-10 NHL defenseman. Top-15 at worst. At the age of 21 I'd say that's pretty impressive. Considering he still hasn't reached his full potential really makes this trade a no-brainer for me considering the Isles really only lose Grabner from their current roster(who is slated for the 3rd line anyway at this point and can be replaced by someone like Ullstrom).

Strome is obviously a great prospect, but with Nelson stepping up his game last year I think he could be groomed for the 2nd line center role in Strome's place. Reinhart has huge upside as well, and could be our Pronger/Weber if all goes well, but he could also be our Ty Wishart if it doesn't. Either way, if you add OEL to the Isles blue-line you end up with something like this:

OEL - Hamonic
Streit - MacDonald
Donovan/deHaan - Visnovsky/Carkner

As the years go on we'll have one of deHaan or Donovan ready to make the team, as well as Mayfield, who I think is one of our more underrated prospects. Add in other solid prospects who could surprise people like Pedan, Kichton, Ness, Pelech, Pokka... and I can live with including Reinhart if it meant getting back a legit franchise defenseman.

Either way, IMO this is all moot since I couldn't see PHX trading OEL for any package short of Tavares. I guess the point of this thread was to see if I could at least get Coyotes fans to consider it.
I think you badly overpay in your proposal. You basically rob Peter to pay Paul.

Old
08-14-2012, 08:43 AM
startainfection

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSoH View Post
God for bid you have to give two players with 0 NHL games and a 3rd liner with one good year for # 1 dman, oh the horror!
grabner is not just a 3rd liner

startainfection is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2012, 08:48 AM
WJF

vCash: 50
As a Yotes fan, I think the offer is fair value and nothing to scoff at.

However, OEL's potential is too tantalizing at this point for Maloney to risk trading him.

Imagine if he wins 2-3 Norris' in his career and plays 27-28 min a game - lets say he turns into a Scott Niedermeyer like player - would you trade that for the OPs package?

Now I know that's a pipe dream, but at this early point in his career, OEL does have the potential, given his mobility, smoothness, and vision, to become a Scott Niedermeyer like player.

WJF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2012, 08:50 AM
rt
Usually Incorrect

Quote:
I think you badly overpay in your proposal. You basically rob Peter to pay Paul.
And yet it is so easy to turn down as a Coyotes fan. This is exactly why OEL proposals are a waste of time. No real discussion is going to take place. No team would give up what it would take to get him.

08-14-2012, 09:07 AM
blinkman360
Joffrey Lives

Quote:
Overpayment is the only way you could get a player like OEL. They have no reason to trade him for fair value. As far as robbing Peter, I just don't see it unless you think Strome is going to be our 2nd line center this year.

The only player it removes from the current lineup is Grabner, who as I said before is relatively easily replaced considering he is most likely destined for the 3rd line this year. Nelson and possibly even Cizikas could replace Strome as our 2nd line center of the future, which IMO isn't too unreasonable considering how highly regarded Nelson is and how hard working of a player Cizikas is.

OEL vs Reinhart is no contest, even if GR hits his potential. Tell me how we are sacrificing anything if we end up with a lineup like this in a year or two:

Moulson - Tavares - Okposo
Bailey - Nelson - Niederreiter
Martin - Nielsen - Ullstrom
Lee - Cizikas - UFA

OEL - Hamonic
Donovan - MacDonald
deHaan - Mayfield

Poulin
Nilsson

This is assuming we don't re-sign Streit, and assuming Boyes doesn't bounce back while playing with Tavares. IMO both of those things can happen. Either way, mix and match wherever you want, the point is we are still set for the future. Not to mention immediately better in the present. Don't see how the Isles do not make this trade if it were actually a possibility.

Old
08-14-2012, 09:16 AM
startainfection

Quote:
Overpayment is the only way you could get a player like OEL. They have no reason to trade him for fair value. As far as robbing Peter, I just don't see it unless you think Strome is going to be our 2nd line center this year.

The only player it removes from the current lineup is Grabner, who as I said before is relatively easily replaced considering he is most likely destined for the 3rd line this year. Nelson and possibly even Cizikas could replace Strome as our 2nd line center of the future, which IMO isn't too unreasonable considering how highly regarded Nelson is and how hard working of a player Cizikas is.

OEL vs Reinhart is no contest, even if GR hits his potential. Tell me how we are sacrificing anything if we end up with a lineup like this in a year or two:

Moulson - Tavares - Okposo
Bailey - Nelson - Niederreiter
Martin - Nielsen - Ullstrom
Lee - Cizikas - UFA

OEL - Hamonic
Donovan - MacDonald
deHaan - Mayfield

Poulin
Nilsson

This is assuming we don't re-sign Streit, and assuming Boyes doesn't bounce back while playing with Tavares. IMO both of those things can happen. Either way, mix and match wherever you want, the point is we are still set for the future. Not to mention immediately better in the present. Don't see how the Isles do not make this trade if it were actually a possibility.
over payment is the only way a team could get 2 players drafted in the top 5 along with a calder nominee

startainfection is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2012, 09:34 AM
Dan-o16

This stuff where Isles fans propose trading for other team's young stars (Subban, OEL) has got to stop. It's ridiculous. The teams that control these players have absolutely no desire to trade them, obviously.

We've got plenty of shiny young players. We need complimentary vets. Being frustrated that our organization refuses to act on this obvious need is no excuse for stupidity.

Cheers,

Dan-o

Dan-o16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2012, 09:45 AM
blinkman360
Joffrey Lives

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan-o16 View Post
This stuff where Isles fans propose trading for other team's young stars (Subban, OEL) has got to stop. It's ridiculous. The teams that control these players have absolutely no desire to trade them, obviously.

We've got plenty of shiny young players. We need complimentary vets. Being frustrated that our organization refuses to act on this obvious need is no excuse for stupidity.

Cheers,

Dan-o
What a buzzkill you are.

Old
08-14-2012, 09:48 AM
rt
Usually Incorrect

Quote:
Originally Posted by WJF View Post
As a Yotes fan, I think the offer is fair value and nothing to scoff at.

However, OEL's potential is too tantalizing at this point for Maloney to risk trading him.

Imagine if he wins 2-3 Norris' in his career and plays 27-28 min a game - lets say he turns into a Scott Niedermeyer like player - would you trade that for the OPs package?

Now I know that's a pipe dream, but at this early point in his career, OEL does have the potential, given his mobility, smoothness, and vision, to become a Scott Niedermeyer like player.
I can actually see it. Maybe a little Teppo Numminen mixed in there, as well. Another smooth, heady player, but a bit more of a defensive focus. Something of a hybrid between the two might resemble OEL's absolute upside. Which, again, as you stated, you just don't trade.

rt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2012, 11:16 AM
karsonjustin2

Quote:

Too many people overrate OEL. He has not proven himself to be an amazing #1 defenseman. Plus Ryan Strome and griffin reinhart are two good prospects.
Michael Grabner is NYIs only decent winger plus he is young.
NYI gets ripped off big time.

karsonjustin2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2012, 11:31 AM
PWJunior
Beware the POOP!

While I absolutely love OEL, I don't think the Isles have any intention of trading away their last 2 top-5 picks and Grabner who brings an element of speed to a relatively slow team. Overpayment for sure and I just don't see it.

PWJunior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2012, 11:32 AM
CREW99AW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan-o16 View Post

Cheers,

Dan-o
Good point. I think it's pretty clear by now, that Snow's budget won't allow him to trade for players making $4m+ at this point. That takes the isles out of the running for players like Ryan, Yandle and Doan.

It leaves the isles demanding more consistency from guys like Grabner+ Okposo, while waiting for prospects like Strome/De Haan/ Reinhart.

Old
08-14-2012, 11:37 AM
CREW99AW

Quote:
Originally Posted by karsonjustin2 View Post
Too many people overrate OEL. He has not proven himself to be an amazing #1 defenseman. Plus Ryan Strome and griffin reinhart are two good prospects.
Michael Grabner is NYIs only decent winger plus he is young.
NYI gets ripped off big time.
Moulson, coming off his 3rd straight season of scoring at least 30 goals, says hello.

24 yr old Okposo, coming off a career high 24 goals, also says hi

Old
08-14-2012, 11:49 AM
PWJunior
Beware the POOP!

Quote:
Moulson, coming off his 3rd straight season of scoring at least 30 goals, says hello.

24 yr old Okposo, coming off a career high 24 goals, also says hi
I was going to post the same thing, thanks for beating me to the punch Crew.

The Isles are not devoid of talent. We do have quite a nice little cupboard of young players throughout the lineup and in the system. As mentioned earlier by others, this team needs some veteran support. At the cost of our elite prospects though... I don't think so.

PWJunior is offline   Reply With Quote