HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Notices

Opinion of Shea Weber

View Poll Results: How was your opinion changed
Gotten Better 3 4.92%
No Change 32 52.46%
Gotten Worse 26 42.62%
Voters: 61. You may not vote on this poll

Old
08-13-2012, 10:35 PM
Top 6 Spaling

vCash: 500
Opinion of Shea Weber

Just curious as to how, if at all, this summer with the OS and all has affected your opinion of Weber as a player, leader in the locker room, and person. I know the options are broad, but as far as your confidence in him as a Predator, how has your opinion changed?

Top 6 Spaling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2012, 10:50 PM
worstfaceoffmanever
What's the Pred say?

I have no problem with him signing the offer sheet. I think people will forget about the whole thing once the season starts.

worstfaceoffmanever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2012, 12:21 AM
luckofirish8

he would have been crazy not to sign that offer sheet. the preds are paying him (very well) I have no doubt he'll show up and play like we know he can.

luckofirish8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2012, 06:55 AM
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor

I think sometimes we forget that this is business. Shea's bosses played by the rules last year and saved a little money, Shea got payback this offseason and cost them a ton. How many of us would love to be able to do that to our bosses or the owners of our company? I know I would.

As far as him signing a contract that put the Predators in a bind, he didn't even know the details of the contract and only heard the dollar amount from the news stations in Toronto. He did what blaine Bishop said he would do, let his agents handle it and get completely out of the way. Blaine said he didn't know any details of any of his deals until his actually had to sign the contract, Shea sounded like he was the same way.

Shea did what he had to do and got a little payback doing it. Good for him.

triggrman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2012, 07:55 AM
Cashville
RIP Lindback

vCash: 1225
No change. It's not personal, it's business. Godfather is never wrong. Think about how you approach your career path; loyalty plays a factor, but money and general trajectory are the key determinants, and are only more important when you factor a family in. I don't see how anyone could hold it against him.

Cashville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2012, 08:50 AM
PredsV82
Puckaroni and cheese

vCash: 50
Worse.

not because he signed the offer sheet, but because he didnt have the balls to tell his agents to s t f u about him preferring philly, and because he didnt renounce those things they said more vociferously once the preds did match....

Shea needs to remember the agents work for him not the other way around....

if he comes out and has a monster season and its clear his heart is 100% in it here, then I will revise my opinion

PredsV82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2012, 08:55 AM
ffwrx
Don't Blink!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PredsV82 View Post
Worse.

not because he signed the offer sheet, but because he didnt have the balls to tell his agents to s t f u about him preferring philly, and because he didnt renounce those things they said more vociferously once the preds did match....

if he comes out and has a monster season and its clear his heart is 100% in it here, then I will revise my opinion
This is what I was going to say when I saw the thread title.

ffwrx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2012, 09:02 AM
101st_fan
I taught Yoda

Quote:
Originally Posted by triggrman View Post
I think sometimes we forget that this is business. Shea's bosses played by the rules last year and saved a little money, Shea got payback this offseason and cost them a ton. How many of us would love to be able to do that to our bosses or the owners of our company? I know I would.

As far as him signing a contract that put the Predators in a bind, he didn't even know the details of the contract and only heard the dollar amount from the news stations in Toronto. He did what blaine Bishop said he would do, let his agents handle it and get completely out of the way. Blaine said he didn't know any details of any of his deals until his actually had to sign the contract, Shea sounded like he was the same way.

Shea did what he had to do and got a little payback doing it. Good for him.
How did he sign the offer sheet (exhibit 6 of the CBA, page 266) and not know the dollar amount? Or is his agent just signing things without letting him know about it?

My opinion is souring daily. Yes it's business .... he should have known what was in the offer sheet and he allowed his agents to run amok in public. He hasn't signed the binding agreement now that the offer is matched. He and his agents took a chance on the offer sheet for a couple million more over the next 14 years and it's time to sign the contract.

101st_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2012, 10:01 AM
Predarat

Better because he did the job the GM didn't get done.

Predarat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2012, 10:02 AM
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by 101st_fan View Post
How did he sign the offer sheet (exhibit 6 of the CBA, page 266) and not know the dollar amount? Or is his agent just signing things without letting him know about it?

My opinion is souring daily. Yes it's business .... he should have known what was in the offer sheet and he allowed his agents to run amok in public. He hasn't signed the binding agreement now that the offer is matched. He and his agents took a chance on the offer sheet for a couple million more over the next 14 years and it's time to sign the contract.
I imagine the news of the amount the agent agreed too was out well before the actual dotted line was signed.

Most of the time you see "agreed to terms" and not "has signed". Regardless, you'd have to check with Weber as he's the one saying it, not me.

I think this is much about nothing situation. Just like the quotes from the agent, it went from saying "we wouldn't sign an offersheet if we didn't want to play there" to "Nashville sucks we can't wait to get out". Too much reading between the lions going on.....

Weber was told last season the arbitration was just the Predators using the tools of the CBA, Weber in turn did the same this season. Weber said all along he was told the Predators would match and had no doubt they would. I don't care much for his agents, though as they're a little shady but my opinion of Weber has not changed.

Old
08-14-2012, 10:25 AM
Joe T Choker
Roll Wide Roll

Quote:
Originally Posted by PredsV82 View Post
Worse.

nail meet hammer

Joe T Choker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2012, 10:29 AM
Roman Yoshi
Ellis too short

I don't know how anyone can rationally justify their opinion of Weber has gotten any better...

Roman Yoshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2012, 10:41 AM
Top 6 Spaling

I figured this would be about 50-50 for worse and the same. How in God's name does Weber signing a front-loaded offer sheet built so we can't match, having his agent say he wants to go to Philly, then refusing to sign the offer-sheet match we've made make anyone feel better about him?

Seriously though, there wasn't a lot of change until he started holding out for a NTC. Come on man, you just made us fork over a huge sum of money in the next two years that we wanted to spread out, and now you want MORE? Just sign it. We aren't trading you anyways.

Old
08-14-2012, 11:25 AM
101st_fan
I taught Yoda

Before an offer sheet can go to the league, the player and new club must agree to term, any bonuses, and a by year salary (see attached thumbnail). Either he knew exactly what the details of the offer sheet were or his agent(s) were completely out of control and making agreements without his knowledge. Is he a liar, or does he just hire and associate with liars? Either way, the way he did, and continues to, conduct himself in regards to the offer sheet tarnishes his status.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Picture1.jpg‎ (18.6 KB, 25 views)

Old
08-14-2012, 11:26 AM
glenngineer

Has anyone thought he isn't in town and will sign it once he gets here for training camp? People are reading way too much into this. Think Joe Sakic. He signed an offer sheet. He went on to finish playing as Mr. Av. Weber will do the same.

glenngineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2012, 11:31 AM
101st_fan
I taught Yoda

Quote:
Originally Posted by glenngineer View Post
Has anyone thought he isn't in town and will sign it once he gets here for training camp? People are reading way too much into this. Think Joe Sakic. He signed an offer sheet. He went on to finish playing as Mr. Av. Weber will do the same.
He doesn't have to be in town to sign the SPC. He wasn't in Philly to sign the offer sheet.

Old
08-14-2012, 11:37 AM
Top 6 Spaling

Quote:
Originally Posted by glenngineer View Post
The fact that he signed and OS isn't what made me mad. By itself, it can mean a lot of things. Coupled with the fact that it was hugely frontloaded, his agent said he wanted to be in Philly and not a "rebuilder" like Nashville, and now he is being a diva about finalizing this...that makes me a little mad.

Old
08-14-2012, 11:39 AM
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by 101st_fan View Post
Before an offer sheet can go to the league, the player and new club must agree to term, any bonuses, and a by year salary (see attached thumbnail). Either he knew exactly what the details of the offer sheet were or his agent(s) were completely out of control and making agreements without his knowledge. Is he a liar, or does he just hire and associate with liars? Either way, the way he did, and continues to, conduct himself in regards to the offer sheet tarnishes his status.
You don't think the agent and the GMs agree to a term before they get a player involved? According to Blaine Bishop and Frank Wycheck that's exactly the way it always happens, but I'm sure they're wrong.

Old
08-14-2012, 11:44 AM
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Top 6 Spaling View Post
The fact that he signed and OS isn't what made me mad. By itself, it can mean a lot of things. Coupled with the fact that it was hugely frontloaded, his agent said he wanted to be in Philly and not a "rebuilder" like Nashville, and now he is being a diva about finalizing this...that makes me a little mad.
Do you think Philly would even make an offer if they didn't make it tough for the Predators to sign?

You guys act like Weber sat down and made the terms of the contract. There's no way Philly even starts to talk to Weber's agent without a front loaded agreement.

Predators pushed Weber around last offseason, this season he got his payback. That's why my respect is higher, he took his medicine like a man played hard all season, I understand him completely.

Old
08-14-2012, 11:57 AM
Joe T Choker
Roll Wide Roll

Quote:
Do you think Philly would even make an offer if they didn't make it tough for the Predators to sign?

You guys act like Weber sat down and made the terms of the contract. There's no way Philly even starts to talk to Weber's agent without a front loaded agreement.

Predators pushed Weber around last offseason, this season he got his payback. That's why my respect is higher, he took his medicine like a man played hard all season, I understand him completely.
and you nailed it with the rebuttal

Joe T Choker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2012, 12:07 PM
glenngineer

If we can't handle a front loaded contract we shouldn't have a team. The owners matched so it doesn't appear to be an issue to keep Weber or add more pieces. We act as if Weber said if I sign this contract Nashville could match and then they can't build a team around me. Does anyone think he would hamstring himself for the rest of his career to play for an also ran? He knew the money was there, that Nashville would match and he'd finish his career in nashville. All the other stuff that his agents spewed is irrelevant to me anyway. We have him locked up for a long time and thats all any of us ever wanted.

glenngineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2012, 12:30 PM
Top 6 Spaling

Quote:

Agree to disagree. I see what you're saying (very well argued, props), but I still think that if Weber really wanted to be on this team, he wouldn't have signed a deal that he knew (Weber isn't stupid) was crafted specifically to not let us match.

Philly wouldn't have negotiated with Weber if he didn't frontload it? Ok, then how about Weber doesn't negotiate with Philly and just signs a deal here? If he really wanted to be here from the beginning, there was no reason for him to even negotiate with Philly. Just come to Poile, say "The Flyers offered me ___million over ___ years. Match it now or I'll sign that and you'll have to match it then, but it will be frontloaded instead of spread equally." Weber gets the same payday, Nashville, doesnt have to pay an obscene amount this year, and everyone is happy. There was no need to bring an offer sheet into this unless he wanted out.

I completely understand people saying "its just business", but that isnt going to change that I feel like Weber doesn't want to be here.

Old
08-14-2012, 12:33 PM
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Top 6 Spaling View Post
Agree to disagree. I see what you're saying (very well argued, props), but I still think that if Weber really wanted to be on this team, he wouldn't have signed a deal that he knew (Weber isn't stupid) was crafted specifically to not let us match.

Philly wouldn't have negotiated with Weber if he didn't frontload it? Ok, then how about Weber doesn't negotiate with Philly and just signs a deal here? If he really wanted to be here from the beginning, there was no reason for him to even negotiate with Philly. Just come to Poile, say "The Flyers offered me ___million over ___ years. Match it now or I'll sign that and you'll have to match it then, but it will be frontloaded instead of spread equally." Weber gets the same payday, Nashville, doesnt have to pay an obscene amount this year, and everyone is happy. There was no need to bring an offer sheet into this unless he wanted out.

I completely understand people saying "its just business", but that isnt going to change that I feel like Weber doesn't want to be here.
Question for you: Was it ok that the Predators took Weber to arbitration last season? I mean if the Predators really liked Weber and thought he was playing well why not offer him a long term deal last off season?

Old
08-14-2012, 12:34 PM
101st_fan
I taught Yoda

Quote:
You don't think the agent and the GMs agree to a term before they get a player involved? According to Blaine Bishop and Frank Wycheck that's exactly the way it always happens, but I'm sure they're wrong.
Shea saying he didn't hear the terms until they were on the radio would mean the offer sheet somehow went to the league without his signing or his agent saying what was in it. But I'm sure Shea was completely ignorant of what was in the offer sheet he had to sign before submission until it made the news ... after all, that's what his statements to the press were. His agent and teams talking before the player signs is one thing, the player acting as though he didn't know what was in an accepted deal until after it went to the league and emerged in the public domain is another case all together.

Old
08-14-2012, 12:35 PM
101st_fan
I taught Yoda

Quote:
Question for you: Was it ok that the Predators took Weber to arbitration last season? I mean if the Predators really liked Weber and thought he was playing well why not offer him a long term deal last off season?
They did. Weber wanted a short term deal. That was in the presser following the arbitration decision.