HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Boston Bruins
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Does the Pacioretty extension set Marchand's price?

Old
08-14-2012, 12:45 PM
RussellmaniaKW

vCash: 500
Does the Pacioretty extension set Marchand's price?

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=403044

I think Patches is a pretty good comparable for Marchand. With that said, he is better offensively than Marchand right now and has better size so I'd like to think that the Bruins should be able to extend Marchand for less than or equal to the 4.5 million cap hit that Pacioretty's extension grants him. Finally a signing that kind of helps the Bruins. Thoughts?

RussellmaniaKW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2012, 12:49 PM
Harbinger04

pacioretty is a better scorer and a year younger than marchand. i think marchy gets 4.0 mil based off this decision

Harbinger04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2012, 12:51 PM
RussellmaniaKW

Unfortunately Pacioretty isn't the only comparable deal out there. Marchand's agent will try and point to a few of the overpayments out there like Grabovski to get a little leverage. Marchand also has a stellar cup run to lean on. That's why I think his next deal won't be much less than 4.5 even though it probably should be. For what it's worth I think the Patches contract is an awesome deal. Really good player they have there.

This should help with Lucic's next contract too.

Old
08-14-2012, 12:53 PM
Dogberry
NHL2Seattle plzkthx

True that Marchand is smaller and not quite as many points, but Patches doesn't kill penalties, while Marchand is a first-unit PKer. That'll certainly add value.

$4m-ish IMO, depending on CBA of course.

Dogberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2012, 12:55 PM
RussellmaniaKW

If Patches had gotten closer to 6 million it would really suck for us. Marchand at 4-4.5 is totally reasonable.

Old
08-14-2012, 12:58 PM
Btown

Helps?
That's alot of money for some one who couldn't see a sanction. Does it come with an eye exam?
I personally would not like Marshy making north of 4. If we pay Marshmont 4.5 how much do you think Horton and Lucic will want, Being as they are on the "top line". Then how much do u think SegNasty is gonna want... I also would keep length of his contract short so if he does end up being a 30 goal guy he could be rewarded. I see us running into trouble trying to keep this team together. Big pay checks.....
I also don't think Patchs is a good comparable to Marshmont.

Btown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2012, 01:08 PM
Gobias Industries
HFBoards Sponsor

Marchand is getting at least 5 in my opinion, he's a unique player with a playoff pedigree...

He's also more proven than Patches given the cup run...

While I think they're very different players, I definitely think this sets the starting price...

Gobias Industries is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2012, 01:12 PM
Btown

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gobias Industries View Post
Marchand is getting at least 5 in my opinion, he's a unique player with a playoff pedigree...

He's also more proven than Patches given the cup run...

While I think they're very different players, I definitely think this sets the starting price...
Wouldn't proven in the playoff constitute more than 1 good run?
Sorry really good run!! 😃

Btown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2012, 01:14 PM
Jack Donaghy
Good God Lemon

Marchand is going to get at least $4.5 because he will score 30 goals and have a great playoffs.

Jack Donaghy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2012, 01:21 PM
Pi

vCash: 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by RussellmaniaKW View Post
Unfortunately Pacioretty isn't the only comparable deal out there. Marchand's agent will try and point to a few of the overpayments out there like Grabovski to get a little leverage. Marchand also has a stellar cup run to lean on. That's why I think his next deal won't be much less than 4.5 even though it probably should be. For what it's worth I think the Patches contract is an awesome deal. Really good player they have there.

This should help with Lucic's next contract too.
Grabovski isn't overpaid. Our center depth isn't good and Grabo is a fighter every night.

He consistently hovers around 20-30th place in points if we're talking centers. IMO 25+ goals 30+ assist easily warrants 5-5.5M.

Plus he was a UFA to be, Marchand is an RFA.

Marchand gets anywhere from 3.5-4.5 IMO because points aren't the only thing that can be used to judge him.

Pi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2012, 01:23 PM
chuckdobbins

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pi View Post
Grabovski isn't overpaid. Our center depth isn't good and Grabo is a fighter every night.

He consistently hovers around 20-30th place in points if we're talking centers. IMO 25+ goals 30+ assist easily warrants 5-5.5M.

Marchand gets anywhere from 3.5-4.5 IMO because points aren't the only thing that can be used to judge him.
I am on board with this, almost entirely. I think Marchand comes in at 4 on the nose.

chuckdobbins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2012, 01:25 PM
RussellmaniaKW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pi View Post

The Leafs having zero leverage is their management's fault and does not reflect on Grabo's worth at all IMO. 5.5 million for a guy who has never broken 60 points and never played a single playoff game is an overpayment. Consider also that Bergeron and Krejci both make less. Not saying Grabo's a bad player but you've got to be in denial to say that he's worth that contract.

Old
08-14-2012, 01:28 PM
Bruins4Lifer
HFBoards Sponsor

I think the Habs got a pretty good deal with Pacioretty getting him for 6 years at that amount. I'd be happy if the Bruins could sign Marchand for that exact same deal.

Bruins4Lifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2012, 03:13 PM
MillerTime 86
So Long Tyler SeQuin

Can we please stop calling him "Patches"?

Sounds like an old, feeble dog that needs to be euthanized

MillerTime 86 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2012, 04:21 PM
Boston Bruno

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruins4Lifer View Post
I think the Habs got a pretty good deal with Pacioretty getting him for 6 years at that amount. I'd be happy if the Bruins could sign Marchand for that exact same deal.
Damn right they did. Guys on the upswing and will be well worth that contract for that length of time. Very solid signing

Boston Bruno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2012, 04:29 PM
Dellstrom
The new age

I'd be very excited with a $4m deal for a decently long time with Marchy. I'm sure he'll get 4-4.5.

Dellstrom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2012, 04:29 PM
RussellmaniaKW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyler SeQuin View Post
Can we please stop calling him "Patches"?

Sounds like an old, feeble dog that needs to be euthanized
It's just easier than typing his whole name over and over.

Old
08-14-2012, 04:32 PM
Shaun
beauty

Montreal overpaid for a zombie

Shaun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2012, 04:33 PM
patty59

It's an ok deal as long as his cervix holds up.

patty59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2012, 04:45 PM
kdog82

The real question is how much does Seguin ask for? I'd say same exact contract as Skinner

kdog82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2012, 04:52 PM
HABS2DCUP

Quote:
Originally Posted by patty59 View Post
It's an ok deal as long as his cervix holds up.
I assume you are referring to his fractured vertebrae, if so, then you might want to look up what the cervix is.

HABS2DCUP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2012, 04:52 PM
patty59

Quote:
Originally Posted by HABS2DCUP View Post
I assume you are referring to his fractured vertebrae, if so, then you might want to look up what the cervix is.
No, I meant cervix.

patty59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2012, 07:00 PM
MarshmontMcSlewfoot

Quote:
Originally Posted by LancelotLink View Post
No one said anything like that.
Next summer good players might be getting 3 mil and if Marchand has under 25 goals he gets signed 2 years 7mil.

Furthermore he might have more years as an RFA because of the new bargaining so Marchand will want a lower amount of money for the deal to expire immediately when he is eligible for free agency.

Inking these guys after the season isn't gonna be an issue. Neither will be UFAs nor will they get Chara money even if they light it up.

PC did very well to have no RFA resignings this summer drag out. Taking care of Tuukka asap and having everyone else coming up next summer was a good job. We might even get some rollbacks on everyone including Z and Patrice which will help us resign guys even more.

MarshmontMcSlewfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2012, 07:06 PM
RussellmaniaKW

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharaTriedToEatMe View Post
Next summer good players might be getting 3 mil and if Marchand has under 25 goals he gets signed 2 years 7mil.

Furthermore he might have more years as an RFA because of the new bargaining so Marchand will want a lower amount of money for the deal to expire immediately when he is eligible for free agency.

Inking these guys after the season isn't gonna be an issue. Neither will be UFAs nor will they get Chara money even if they light it up.

PC did very well to have no RFA resignings this summer drag out. Taking care of Tuukka asap and having everyone else coming up next summer was a good job. We might even get some rollbacks on everyone including Z and Patrice which will help us resign guys even more.
First of all we know nothing about the next CBA so it's foolish to make assumptions about what salaries will look like under a new agreement. Secondly, if there are rollbacks they will be because the cap has gone down. I highly doubt any new agreement will allow provisions wherein teams can rollback salaries and created new cap space.

Old
08-14-2012, 07:07 PM
finchster

Send a message via ICQ to finchster
No it doesn’t set the price.

First of all, Marchand will have 3 full seasons played on his next contract to Pacioretty’s one, it makes a difference. More proven players get better deals.

Two, I think Pacioretty is a good player, but you might have to file him under ‘good player on a bad team’. Pacioretty is getting almost as much ice time as Bergeron and Krejci (more than any winger on the Bruins) and the majority of that time is offensive TOI. Marchand is doing similar things while playing in more defensive situations. I am not saying I think Marchand is better, but I am not convinced Pacioretty is better despite scoring more points last year. Look at Nathan Horton’s point totals on a bad Florida team.

finchster is offline   Reply With Quote