HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

10 Teams That Can Win It All: New York Rangers

Old
08-14-2012, 12:17 PM
Clowes Line
Cally's Chicken Parm

vCash: 500
10 Teams That Can Win It All: New York Rangers

Sportsnet is doing a series where they list their ten teams that can win the Cup next season. They give three reasons why they can and why they may not be able to. Here is their piece on the Rangers...

Quote:
John Tortorella’s New York Rangers surprised many by finishing the 2011-12 regular season atop the Eastern Conference with 109 points. Vezina Trophy winner Henrik Lundqvist backstopped the Blueshirts to the conference final, where they exited in six games to their rivals, the New Jersey Devils. Although it was a disappointing finish, the Rangers took plenty of of positives away from a stellar season on Broadway.

With star winger Rick Nash on board, Tortorella’s lineup will have a slightly new look up front as forwards Brandon Dubinsky and Artem Anisimov are now in Columbus. However, the addition of Nash coupled with the array of blue-chip youngsters has the Rangers set up once again to be a favourite to win the ever-difficult Atlantic Division.

Here are three reasons why the Rangers are and aren’t ready to stop their Cup drought at 19 years.
His predictions:

Quote:
Prediction: Nash scores 40 goals, Kreider wins the Calder, and Lundqvist leads the Rangers to their first Stanley Cup since 1994.
Can't post the whole article as it is against site rules, so if you'd like to see the three reasons for why they can and can't win the Cup, click here: http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/2012/..._york_rangers/

Last edited by Clowes Line: 08-14-2012 at 12:22 PM.
Clowes Line is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2012, 01:07 PM
HeaveHo94
PSN: NYC_RANGERS_94

dont see why not.

HeaveHo94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2012, 03:18 PM
KingWantsCup
Super Saiyan Hank

vCash: 350
As long as we don't run into the Penguins we'll probably be fine. Head to head we are not good against them. In all likelihood however, based on my own power rankings and this forum's power rankings, Pittsburgh and Philly will meet in the first round. That would be Pittsburgh's toughest opponent because the Flyers are a better model of what the Penguins are. Crap defense and goaltending covered up by explosive offense. The Pens have the two best players in the world but the Flyers core also has a world talent in Giroux and better depth IMO, especially with Pittsburgh trading Staal. Flyers also lost Jagr, but Pittsburgh losing Staal was a bigger deal.

KingWantsCup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2012, 03:24 PM
Thirty One
portnor, pls

vCash: 420
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingWantsCup View Post
As long as we don't run into the Penguins we'll probably be fine. Head to head we are not good against them. In all likelihood however, based on my own power rankings and this forum's power rankings, Pittsburgh and Philly will meet in the first round. That would be Pittsburgh's toughest opponent because the Flyers are a better model of what the Penguins are. Crap defense and goaltending covered up by explosive offense. The Pens have the two best players in the world but the Flyers core also has a world talent in Giroux and better depth IMO, especially with Pittsburgh trading Staal. Flyers also lost Jagr, but Pittsburgh losing Staal was a bigger deal.
Way too early to be predicting playoff matchups.

Thirty One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2012, 03:37 PM
Ail
k.

I agree about Gaborik. Even if Nash and Richards light it up something fierce, if Gaborik isn't good for at least 30 and ghosting the majority of the year, it will be a shorter post-season than we'd like. One dependable goal scorer doesn't cut it.

rip
Ail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2012, 04:21 PM
Levitate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ailurophile View Post
I agree about Gaborik. Even if Nash and Richards light it up something fierce, if Gaborik isn't good for at least 30 and ghosting the majority of the year, it will be a shorter post-season than we'd like. One dependable goal scorer doesn't cut it.
Gaborik will be fine if healthy. Predicting trends based on "well he's had one good year, one bad year, then one good year, so he's due for a bad year!" is dumb as hell

Levitate is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2012, 04:35 PM
Ail
k.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Levitate View Post
Gaborik will be fine if healthy. Predicting trends based on "well he's had one good year, one bad year, then one good year, so he's due for a bad year!" is dumb as hell
Yeah that part was dumb, but you do never know.

Ail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2012, 04:38 PM
Zil

Quote:
Yep, Gaborik's proven that he scores whenever he's healthy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ailurophile View Post
Yeah that part was dumb, but you do never know.
Well obviously if a major player has a down year, then they're not going to be as good. There's no reason to single out Gaborik though.

Zil is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2012, 04:47 PM
Levitate

If there's any reason to suspect Gaborik is going to have a down year it's because he just had a major ******* shoulder injury and won't be back until December and it will probably then take at least another month or two to really get up to speed

My hope would be that by the time the playoffs roll around, Gaborik is feeling healthy and back into form and ready to head into the playoffs with all systems go

Levitate is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2012, 06:52 PM
KingWantsCup
Super Saiyan Hank

vCash: 350
Quote:
Originally Posted by -31- View Post
Way too early to be predicting playoff matchups.
Of course it is. This forum did it anyway though.

KingWantsCup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2012, 07:00 PM
Machinehead
Hank, pls

Life as a Rangers fan, ain't it grand?

Machinehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2012, 07:13 PM
vipernsx
Flatus Expeller

I'm good with Gabby getting 15-20 goals in half a season. He'll be warmed up for the playoffs and adding a healthy Gabby for the stretch with a team that already has Richards & Nash on the first line is ...."Oh Baby"!!!

Besides, Gabby has never had a situation where he was coming off the 2nd line where the top line had serious offense that other teams focused on. Nash and Richards on line one, with Gabby Stepan on line two can do wonders for opening the ice up for Gabby.

Oh and not many teams will have a 1-2 40 goal scorer punch centered by solid playmakers.

Oh and I'm booking Krieder for 30 goals! Throw him on Steps' other wing and you've got serious firepower on your 2nd line. The likes of which the Rangers haven't had in a very, very long time. Potential for two 1st lines in NY once Gabby is back and playing healthy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Machinehead View Post

Life as a Rangers fan, ain't it grand?
The NHL hates the Rangers!!!!

vipernsx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2012, 07:18 PM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

Quote:
If there's any reason to suspect Gaborik is going to have a down year it's because he just had a major ******* shoulder injury and won't be back until December and it will probably then take at least another month or two to really get up to speed

My hope would be that by the time the playoffs roll around, Gaborik is feeling healthy and back into form and ready to head into the playoffs with all systems go
Fortunately, from reports hes been strengthening his legs/lower body and cardio.

So there shouldn't be an excuse for being out of shape. He just needs to heal the shoulder and strengthen it.

SupersonicMonkey* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2012, 07:33 PM
Baby Punisher

The writer wasn't up to date with the Gabs/Richie chemistry that developed in March & though the Playoffs.

I could see Gabs putting up between 20 & 30 goals in 55-60 games. Gabs will have more space to move around & score now that he doesn't have to worry about faceing the other teams top defensive pair evey game.

I also think Torts will continue to juggle lines endlessly

Baby Punisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2012, 08:29 PM
Florida Ranger
Bring back Torts!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingWantsCup View Post
As long as we don't run into the Penguins we'll probably be fine.
We said that last year. Look what happened.

Wait until we see how we play overall and how we look when we get to that point.

Florida Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2012, 08:46 PM
chosen

So, were the Kings one of the ten who had a chance last season? I doubt it.

chosen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2012, 08:57 PM
Rangerfan4life90

Quote:
Originally Posted by chosen View Post
They were actually considered a contender, if I remember correctly. Everyone was shocked that they were doing as bad as they were during the regular season.

Rangerfan4life90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2012, 09:15 PM
Florida Ranger
Bring back Torts!

Quote:
They were on my list.

Florida Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2012, 09:17 PM
RGY
(Jagr68NYR94Leetch)

I thought the article was a good one. I do feel as though Porth was drawing at straws for the 3 negatives or opposition shall we say, to why the rangers won't succeed in winning the cup.

1) Sure Gaborik has had a trend throughout his career, but you just can't guarantee it will continue. His rehab is going well. He had a down season his second year with the rangers because he was hampered with injuries throughout the season. This year he won't be starting his season until he is healthy and ready to go. I do believe he will go out and score 35 goals.

2) The rangers was used as a positive note in the first breath, and then a deterrent in the second. The only one I can see having true bumps in the road is Kreider. He is not used to an 82 game season. Stepan is very used to an 82 game season by now. Hagelin slowed down towards the end this past year so he has gone through the growing pains. And the argument that McDonagh and Del Zotto will have to handle bigger minutes is pretty foolish to make. McDonagh handle big, big, big minutes all year long. He played 50+ minutes in that overtime game in washington. Del Zotto will get 2nd pair, possibly 3rd pair minutes. He will absolutely be fine. And I'd hardly say he had an up and down postseason. He struggled towards the end of the devils series, however, his grandmother did pass away and I believe that had an effect on him.

3) This is the only argument I can somewhat entertain. The Rangers did look a step behind when they entered the playoffs. However, that was because their depth was not that strong. I think Sather will definitely address those needs once the cba is solved. They will get a 5/6 defenseman. And they will either sign Doan or Arnott for the 3rd line center. Or they invite Arnott/Rolston/Holmstrom to camp to compete for a 3rd line spot along with Miller being in that mix of competing. Say Miller makes the cut but struggles during the year they can make a deadline acquisition for the playoff run.

All in all I think this team is set for something special.

RGY is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2012, 10:33 PM
Grumpy Humphrey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rangerfan4life90 View Post
They were actually considered a contender, if I remember correctly. Everyone was shocked that they were doing as bad as they were during the regular season.
That's the way I remember it.

Grumpy Humphrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2012, 11:36 PM
CM Lundqvist
Best In The World

I'd have to agree.

This Rangers team could win it all with a healthy Gaborik and Sauer, provided everything works out.

CM Lundqvist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2012, 11:56 PM
Clowes Line
Cally's Chicken Parm

Quote:
The Kings were chosen by A LOT of people to win the Cup/make the finals. By people, I mean NHL "experts".

NHL.com did a thing on pre-season Stanley Cup predictions, and LA was in a lot of them. They were contenders from the beginning, and how much they were struggling was a HUGE surprise.

Clowes Line is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2012, 12:23 AM
Kershaw

Quote:
I had them winning the cup last yr.

Richards move triggered that. Their lineup was just so complete with him as the #2 guy. Lots of defensive depth with Johnson/Doughty and grizzled veterans like Green, Scuderi and Mitchell. Quick, I thought was a great goalie, but didn't expect him to be this good this yr. Obviously, in the end, they won with a new looking roster, despite having a miserable regular season.

Kershaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2012, 12:51 AM
CM Lundqvist
Best In The World

Pre-season I had LA over Pittsburgh in 7.

CM Lundqvist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2012, 07:16 AM
jacko23
KCCO!

Quote:
Originally Posted by vipernsx View Post

Oh and I'm booking Krieder for 30 goals! Throw him on Steps' other wing and you've got serious firepower on your 2nd line. The likes of which the Rangers haven't had in a very, very long time. Potential for two 1st lines in NY once Gabby is back and playing healthy!

The NHL hates the Rangers!!!!
there are a fair amount of snipers in this league who dont hit 30 goals. kreider is considered more of a power forward type guy. yes he did well in the playoffs, but im still saying if he hits 20, im happy.

jacko23 is offline   Reply With Quote