HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

Question re Forwards Role in loss to NJ

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
08-09-2012, 04:58 AM
  #76
smittens
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Orlando.
Country: United Kingdom
Posts: 49
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by toughfighter83 View Post
that's why this team hasnt won a cup in 37 years because the team never shows tenacity and grit, it's always lazy, sloppy plays every lousy year. they show up one game and crap the other, they never show the energy of what it takes to win, if they played like the way they played against the penguins all the way to finals, they'll probably win it but they never do it, why? i dont know, money? not caring? i have no idea,

i have seen this team play for 15 years, i'll never seen any hunger in these players, they always find ways to lose, never win it.
because there was no hunger in 2010? because we didn't come back from a 3 - 0 deficit to boston? all these excuses are annoying. the devils were the better team, i don't understand the issue.

smittens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2012, 07:51 PM
  #77
35NW8ING
#LaviPondHockeyFail
 
35NW8ING's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Country: United States
Posts: 441
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by smittens View Post
because there was no hunger in 2010? because we didn't come back from a 3 - 0 deficit to boston? all these excuses are annoying. the devils were the better team, i don't understand the issue.
To most realists, yes it's plain and simple. We got beat by a better team. On here though it's injuries, rookies, Carle, Bryz, Leighton, and any other excuse that can be conjured up.

35NW8ING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2012, 10:47 AM
  #78
Bernie Parent 1974
Registered User
 
Bernie Parent 1974's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Country: United States
Posts: 3,183
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 35NW8ING View Post
To most realists, yes it's plain and simple. We got beat by a better team. On here though it's injuries, rookies, Carle, Bryz, Leighton, and any other excuse that can be conjured up.
better team & they outworked us in all 3 zones & out-chanced us. case closed.

Bernie Parent 1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2012, 03:39 PM
  #79
35NW8ING
#LaviPondHockeyFail
 
35NW8ING's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Country: United States
Posts: 441
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernie Parent 1974 View Post
better team & they outworked us in all 3 zones & out-chanced us. case closed.
Amen.

35NW8ING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2012, 04:27 PM
  #80
feedingschennzy
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 344
vCash: 500
Devils had a game plan for us, made us play their game and Brodeur played excellent. Our coaching could be blamed for failure to adapt

feedingschennzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2012, 05:19 PM
  #81
rban*
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 2,894
vCash: 500
That's the thing tho. Were the Devils really better than the Flyers? Really?

With Giroux, Hartnell, Simmonds, Voracek. Jagr, Read, Couts, Talbot, Schenn, Briere?

Compared to them: A pansy non performer named Kovalchuk? An ageing Elias. Zajac and Parise I'll grant you, but that's two good forwards.Big deal. WHat kinda depth is that? An oldie, a Pansy, plus two guys that can bring it.

You say their defense is better than ours/ Really?? What's so great about Devils D? Where is the superstar leader? Where's the Chara. Pronger, Doughty?

That lineup is very beatable, we should have beat them We had nine forwards that scored close to or more than 20 goals, we had four scarey offenisve lines.

Our forward depth was 10 times theirs.


Last edited by MiamiScreamingEagles: 08-12-2012 at 08:59 AM. Reason: Inappropriate reference
rban* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2012, 05:57 PM
  #82
FlyerX
Registered User
 
FlyerX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 814
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by rban View Post
That's the thing tho. Were the Devils really better than the Flyers? Really?

With Giroux, Hartnell, Simmonds, Voracek. Jagr, Read, Couts, Talbot, Schenn, Briere?

Compared to them: A pansy non performer named Kovalchuk? An ageing Elias. Zajac and Parise I'll grant you, but that's two good forwards.Big deal. WHat kinda depth is that? An oldie, a Pansy, plus two guys that can bring it.

You say their defense is better than ours/ Really?? What's so great about Devils D? Where is the superstar leader? Where's the Chara. Pronger, Doughty?

That lineup is very beatable, we should have beat them We had nine forwards that scored close to or more than 20 goals, we had four scarey offenisve lines.

Our forward depth was 10 times theirs.
The Devils didn't look like much on paper, but the game is played on the ice. Remember they knocked off the Rags, also better on paper, next and pushed the Kings, who rolled out West, to 6. It's a team game and the Debs had it going. If they had caught a break and faced a lesser team in the finals, they might have stolen a cup.


Last edited by MiamiScreamingEagles: 08-12-2012 at 08:59 AM. Reason: Quoted material deleted
FlyerX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2012, 10:17 PM
  #83
35NW8ING
#LaviPondHockeyFail
 
35NW8ING's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Country: United States
Posts: 441
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by rban View Post
That's the thing tho. Were the Devils really better than the Flyers? Really?
Yes they were, and it wasn't even close. Had they lost to the Rangers, or struggled to beat them you might have been able to make a case.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rban View Post
With Giroux, Hartnell, Simmonds, Voracek. Jagr, Read, Couts, Talbot, Schenn, Briere?
Yes. Those guys aren't Gretzky, Crosby, Messier, Lemieux, Kurri, Anderson, or Yzerman.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rban View Post
Compared to them: A pansy non performer named Kovalchuk? An ageing Elias. Zajac and Parise I'll grant you, but that's two good forwards.Big deal. WHat kinda depth is that? An oldie, a Pansy, plus two guys that can bring it.
How are you comparing them? As a unit, the Devil forwards dominated our forwards everywhere on the ice. Briere, Hartnell, Simmonds, Voracek, Jagr, Read, Couts, Talbot, and Schenn were the non performers in that series, not Kovalchuk.


Quote:
Originally Posted by rban View Post
You say their defense is better than ours/ Really?? What's so great about Devils D?
Yes it is better. What was great about their defense was mostly their positioning and ability to get the puck out of their zone before we even got within 15 feet of it. Did you watch the series?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rban View Post
Where is the superstar leader?
Same place ours (Pronger) was, not playing. (Scott Stevens)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rban View Post
Where's the Chara. Pronger, Doughty?
They don't have one, and neither do we. Doughty is very good, but not worthy of being mentioned in the same sentence as Chara or Pronger. You need more than one year before you can be mentioned in the same breath as them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rban View Post
That lineup is very beatable,
Not by us.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rban View Post
we should have beat them We had nine forwards that scored close to or more than 20 goals, we had four scarey offenisve lines.
Too bad regular season pond hockey numbers don't win playoff series, otherwise we would have won the cup. Offense is only 1/3 of the game, and not nearly as important as team defense or the play of your goaltender.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rban View Post
Our forward depth was 10 times theirs.
Based on regular season goals? Their forwards dominated ours up and down the ice, every game, almost every puck battle, in our zone, in their zone, and in the neutral zone.

The team with the most depth at forward isn't the better team. On paper they might be, but cups and playoff series aren't won on paper, they're won on the ice. They are won by TEAMS, not the better collection of individuals who scored more regular season goals.


Last edited by MiamiScreamingEagles: 08-12-2012 at 08:58 AM. Reason: Quoted material deleted
35NW8ING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2012, 02:15 AM
  #84
GoneFullHextall
adios Holmgren
 
GoneFullHextall's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Somewhere in NH
Country: United States
Posts: 30,701
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by toughfighter83 View Post
that's why this team hasnt won a cup in 37 years because the team never shows tenacity and grit, it's always lazy, sloppy plays every lousy year. they show up one game and crap the other, they never show the energy of what it takes to win, if they played like the way they played against the penguins all the way to finals, they'll probably win it but they never do it, why? i dont know, money? not caring? i have no idea,

i have seen this team play for 15 years, i'll never seen any hunger in these players, they always find ways to lose, never win it.
why are you a Flyers fan?
seriously man, never anything good to say. ever.

this team never shows any tenacity and grit? really? this team has enough grit.The Pens series was a physically demanding series on both sides. I think fans of both teams would concede that their teams would have little left emotionally and physcially after a series like that.
NJ was better then the Flyers this year when it mattered. Bottom line.
Why are the Flyers constantly one of the most penalized teams in the NHL? they play a physical brand of hockey, they have quite a bit of grit and toughness to go along with that skill.
Sometimes I wonder if you really do pay attention or not, or you just babble on to get a reaction.

GoneFullHextall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2012, 12:15 PM
  #85
Bernie Parent 1974
Registered User
 
Bernie Parent 1974's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Country: United States
Posts: 3,183
vCash: 500
Flyers have plenty of grit, no doubt. they simply got outworked & out pressured by NJ. if not for Bryz, it would have been far worse ... he gave them a chance for 3 wins out of the 5 games, amazingly.

Bernie Parent 1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2012, 08:06 PM
  #86
35NW8ING
#LaviPondHockeyFail
 
35NW8ING's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Country: United States
Posts: 441
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernie Parent 1974 View Post
Flyers have plenty of grit, no doubt. they simply got outworked & out pressured by NJ. if not for Bryz, it would have been far worse ... he gave them a chance for 3 wins out of the 5 games, amazingly.
And if Brodeur played like MAF, we would have won. Bryz didn't steal a single game. We lost not only because of the forwards getting dominated but also because the puck ended up in our net more than theirs. The goalie has to share in it as well.

35NW8ING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2012, 11:23 PM
  #87
Bernie Parent 1974
Registered User
 
Bernie Parent 1974's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Country: United States
Posts: 3,183
vCash: 500
Bryz was the best Flyer in that series & is last on the list of why they lost. He was the only Flyer to show up game 1, period 1 & do his job in that series.

the puck 'ending up in the net' does not mean 'goalies fault'.

if every other Flyer did his job as well as the goalie did, the Flyers win that series. they let NJ set up camp in their defensive zone.

Bernie Parent 1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2012, 07:41 AM
  #88
FlyingHigh13
Registered User
 
FlyingHigh13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Cleveland
Country: United States
Posts: 89
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 35NW8ING View Post
And if Brodeur played like MAF, we would have won. Bryz didn't steal a single game. We lost not only because of the forwards getting dominated but also because the puck ended up in our net more than theirs. The goalie has to share in it as well.
Brodeur didn't have a chance to play like MAF...Most of Brodeur's saves were Matt Carle floaters from the point.

FlyingHigh13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2012, 09:39 AM
  #89
35NW8ING
#LaviPondHockeyFail
 
35NW8ING's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Country: United States
Posts: 441
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingHigh13 View Post
Brodeur didn't have a chance to play like MAF...Most of Brodeur's saves were Matt Carle floaters from the point.
That's intellectually dishonest and overstated. In addition to playing better than Bryz, Marty never let in the back breaking soft at the wrong time goal. His 3rd period save percentage was phenomenal in the first 3 rounds this year. It's not hard to look like you're playing better than everyone else (Bryz), when everyone else (forwards) either hasn't shown up or is doing nothing.

Your statement has no basis in fact.

35NW8ING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2012, 10:32 AM
  #90
FlyingHigh13
Registered User
 
FlyingHigh13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Cleveland
Country: United States
Posts: 89
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 35NW8ING View Post
That's intellectually dishonest and overstated. In addition to playing better than Bryz, Marty never let in the back breaking soft at the wrong time goal. His 3rd period save percentage was phenomenal in the first 3 rounds this year. It's not hard to look like you're playing better than everyone else (Bryz), when everyone else (forwards) either hasn't shown up or is doing nothing.

Your statement has no basis in fact.
Ur wrong. Bryz>Marty that series. don't feel like explaining but anyone who knows hockey would agree, watch the series, not the highlight of the one mental mistake Bryz made.

FlyingHigh13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2012, 10:35 AM
  #91
cheesesteak
Registered User
 
cheesesteak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 2,021
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 35NW8ING View Post
That's intellectually dishonest and overstated. In addition to playing better than Bryz, Marty never let in the back breaking soft at the wrong time goal. His 3rd period save percentage was phenomenal in the first 3 rounds this year. It's not hard to look like you're playing better than everyone else (Bryz), when everyone else (forwards) either hasn't shown up or is doing nothing.

Your statement has no basis in fact.


IMO Marty was important in the series because his puck handling helped kill The Flyers forecheck he wasn't really anything special at stopping pucks though. I remember even NJ fans saying Bryz was better at stopping pucks through the series. The team got outplayed, out coached, and some injuries didn't help. The Flyers could do better in a rematch I think.

cheesesteak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2012, 10:41 AM
  #92
FlyingHigh13
Registered User
 
FlyingHigh13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Cleveland
Country: United States
Posts: 89
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheesesteak View Post
IMO Marty was important in the series because his puck handling helped kill The Flyers forecheck he wasn't really anything special at stopping pucks though. I remember even NJ fans saying Bryz was better at stopping pucks through the series. The team got outplayed, out coached, and some injuries didn't help. The Flyers could do better in a rematch I think.
good point. Seems like the flyers always have a problem with goalies handling the puck. Bryz, Leighton, bobs, Boucher and biron were all pretty bad at it.

FlyingHigh13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2012, 12:26 PM
  #93
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Wing or Retire!
 
Beef Invictus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Alexandria
Country: Liberia
Posts: 36,842
vCash: 156
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingHigh13 View Post
Brodeur didn't have a chance to play like MAF...Most of Brodeur's saves were Matt Carle floaters from the point.
Carle accounted for 8 of the Flyers' 134 shots in the series. That's only about 6%.

__________________
Down in the basement, I've got a Craftsman lathe. Show it to the children when they misbehave.
Beef Invictus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2012, 12:32 PM
  #94
GoneFullHextall
adios Holmgren
 
GoneFullHextall's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Somewhere in NH
Country: United States
Posts: 30,701
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish Invictus View Post
Carle accounted for 8 of the Flyers' 134 shots in the series. That's only about 6%.
yeah and one of those was a brutal goal allowed by Marty.

GoneFullHextall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2012, 12:49 PM
  #95
FlyingHigh13
Registered User
 
FlyingHigh13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Cleveland
Country: United States
Posts: 89
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish Invictus View Post
Carle accounted for 8 of the Flyers' 134 shots in the series. That's only about 6%.
was an exaggeration bro but good research...pointing out that we had very few legitimate scoring chances.

FlyingHigh13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2012, 04:24 PM
  #96
35NW8ING
#LaviPondHockeyFail
 
35NW8ING's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Country: United States
Posts: 441
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingHigh13 View Post
Ur wrong. Bryz>Marty that series. don't feel like explaining but anyone who knows hockey would agree, watch the series, not the highlight of the one mental mistake Bryz made.
Bryz apologists might agree but if you objectively look at the total performance by both goalies, include all the facts, and take everything into account, Marty outplayed Bryz and it's not even close.

Even comparing who "stopped pucks" better puts Marty on top due to his superior play when his team was tied or had the lead. He made plenty of saves during those points in the series while Bryz let in several goals at the most inopportune moments. When you allow the goal is equally, if not more important than how many big saves you make.

35NW8ING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2012, 04:42 PM
  #97
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Wing or Retire!
 
Beef Invictus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Alexandria
Country: Liberia
Posts: 36,842
vCash: 156
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingHigh13 View Post
was an exaggeration bro but good research...pointing out that we had very few legitimate scoring chances.
Yes, overall we didn't sustain pressure consistently. However, there were points where we put up a strong attack and Brodeur kept the door shut. Perhaps if we could have kept it up longer or more consistently we could've cracked him, who knows.

Beef Invictus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2012, 04:50 PM
  #98
thelos
Bunk
 
thelos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,610
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish Invictus View Post
Yes, overall we didn't sustain pressure consistently. However, there were points where we put up a strong attack and Brodeur kept the door shut. Perhaps if we could have kept it up longer or more consistently we could've cracked him, who knows.
He wasn't unbeatable, but he didnt have to be with the way we were playing

thelos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2012, 07:38 AM
  #99
FlyingHigh13
Registered User
 
FlyingHigh13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Cleveland
Country: United States
Posts: 89
vCash: 500
Bottom line Brodeur of that series=Leighton of ECF 2010 vs Monteal. Yeah, I just did it compared a hall of famer to career backup/AHLer Michael Leighton. Brodeur stopped what he needed to with limited pressure and looked extremely solid. Many forget that Leightons numbers before the SCF that year were extremely good as well. My point is that when ur defense keeps the shots on the outside and sweeps away rebounds promptly/limits turnovers, many goalies can look much better than they actually are.

FlyingHigh13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2012, 10:45 AM
  #100
toughfighter83*
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 563
vCash: 500
bottom line is devils were better than us plain and simple, you want to make excuses go ahead, devils had the mentality to beat us and the flyers dont, it doesnt what coach or player you have on this team, if the flyers dont have the mentality then you'll never win,

fans dont want to hear it but that's been the problem with this team for 37 years the mentality of winning, they never have it, until the flyers management get the right players that want to win, it's going to be long drought until new management or owner takes over because homer always gets the wrong players.

toughfighter83* is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:09 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.