HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > San Jose Sharks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

10,000 Pt XXXI: There is no Spoon (mod note re: election | Post #986)

Closed Thread

Old
08-13-2012, 01:39 PM
Nighthock
**** the Kings...

vCash: 163
Haven't seen the Avengers by the way so hb may be right. I had yet to see Captain America (which I finally saw last night) or Thor so I was waiting. Looks like it's disappearing from theatres so you may actually want to see this one first if it's still around where you are.

Old
08-13-2012, 04:03 PM
LadyStanley
Elasmobranchology-go

vCash: 500
Whew. Thankfully my nephew was not near shooting in College Station, TX. (He's a student @ Texas A&M)

Old
08-13-2012, 04:49 PM
LadyStanley
Elasmobranchology-go

Shark week

Old
08-13-2012, 04:52 PM
hockeyball

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nighthock View Post
Haven't seen the Avengers by the way so hb may be right. I had yet to see Captain America (which I finally saw last night) or Thor so I was waiting. Looks like it's disappearing from theatres so you may actually want to see this one first if it's still around where you are.
The really brilliant thing about the Avengers is Whedon knew exactly what the fans wanted. The plot just needs to be good enough to give them an excuse to fight, but not good enough that it actually distracts from the characters or action. He found a way to get heroes fighting heroes into the movie without feeling totally contrived. How can you not like seeing Hulk and Thor go at it? Plus he took several extremely charismatic characters who could easily steal every scene they are in and managed to balance it just right.

I'm a big film buff, and I look at films based on their intended audience. There are a lot of films out there that don't have any great message, or some deep emotional meaning, but are still what I refer to as 'perfect films'. I don't mean they are the best movie every made, I mean, based on the subject matter, they are so perfectly refined as to be without any major criticisms. Avengers falls right into that category for me. The first Iron Man is another great example of that coincidentally.

One movie I often like to cite for being incredibly underrated for impressive film-making and editing is "The Fifth Element". It's not a particularly great story, and there are certainly moments where the acting could be better, but what works about the film is it's rhythm. Very few films have such excellent pacing. The entire film is literally lain overtop of a soundtrack and every moment of the film is set to that beat. It's pretty brilliant and most people don't even notice it.

The ultimate example of the 'perfect film' idea is of course Lord of the Rings. Whether you like high fantasy or not you have to admire the absolutely amazing detail put into those films. Not just in the special effects, but the acting, the writing, the sound track, the cinematography... It's like they took all the best parts of every movie ever made and combined them. You could not take that subject matter and ever expect to make a better film.

Old
08-13-2012, 05:15 PM
HOOCH2173
That HOOCH is Crazy!

vCash: 516
And even more exciting news Joss Whedon will direct Avengers 2! Now who does he kill in this one? Since that is what he does!

Old
08-13-2012, 05:55 PM
hockeyball

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOOCH2173 View Post
And even more exciting news Joss Whedon will direct Avengers 2! Now who does he kill in this one? Since that is what he does!
haha.

Spoil:

Coulson isn't dead, he's going to be brought back as "The Vision".

Old
08-13-2012, 10:10 PM
Nighthock
**** the Kings...

vCash: 163

Old
08-13-2012, 10:21 PM
TheJuxtaposer
#Shorks

vCash: 567
Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyball View Post
The really brilliant thing about the Avengers is Whedon knew exactly what the fans wanted. The plot just needs to be good enough to give them an excuse to fight, but not good enough that it actually distracts from the characters or action. He found a way to get heroes fighting heroes into the movie without feeling totally contrived. How can you not like seeing Hulk and Thor go at it? Plus he took several extremely charismatic characters who could easily steal every scene they are in and managed to balance it just right.

I'm a big film buff, and I look at films based on their intended audience. There are a lot of films out there that don't have any great message, or some deep emotional meaning, but are still what I refer to as 'perfect films'. I don't mean they are the best movie every made, I mean, based on the subject matter, they are so perfectly refined as to be without any major criticisms. Avengers falls right into that category for me. The first Iron Man is another great example of that coincidentally.

One movie I often like to cite for being incredibly underrated for impressive film-making and editing is "The Fifth Element". It's not a particularly great story, and there are certainly moments where the acting could be better, but what works about the film is it's rhythm. Very few films have such excellent pacing. The entire film is literally lain overtop of a soundtrack and every moment of the film is set to that beat. It's pretty brilliant and most people don't even notice it.

The ultimate example of the 'perfect film' idea is of course Lord of the Rings. Whether you like high fantasy or not you have to admire the absolutely amazing detail put into those films. Not just in the special effects, but the acting, the writing, the sound track, the cinematography... It's like they took all the best parts of every movie ever made and combined them. You could not take that subject matter and ever expect to make a better film.
My thoughts precisely. I loved the Avengers despite the fact that there was minimal plot: Loki wants to take over the Earth to spite Thor, Thor and the Avengers have to stop it. But it was absolutely awesome action, and you're absolutely right about them putting in fights between people on the same side. Brilliantly done, in my opinion. And Loki is a fantastic villain in that I simultaneously pity him and loath him,

[spoilers]and the scene with him and the Black Widow when he was in the cage chilled me to the bones. Well done.[/spoilers]

I can't wait for the rest of the Marvel movies. Just saw Spiderman recently, and I really liked it.

Old
08-13-2012, 10:48 PM
MadmanSJ
Know Your Onion!

The 5th Element is one of my favorite movies of all time. Despite Chris Tucker trying really hard to ruin it.

Old
08-13-2012, 10:52 PM
WTFetus
Most popular

I thought Spider-man was a pretty poor movie (though I like the Garfield and Stone more than McGuire and Dunst). The Avengers was good though. You can't really go wrong with Whedon.
Out of all the movies I watched in theaters this summer, I'd put The Avengers and Hunger Games at the top.

And at the very, very bottom: Ted.

Old
08-13-2012, 10:54 PM
TheJuxtaposer
#Shorks

vCash: 567
Quote:
Originally Posted by WTFetus View Post
I thought Spider-man was a pretty poor movie (though I like the Garfield and Stone more than McGuire and Dunst). The Avengers was good though.
Out of all the movies I watched in theaters this summer, I'd put The Avengers and Hunger Games at the top.

And at the very, very bottom: Ted.
I fully admit to being an Andrew Garfield fan-girl, but I still thought it was well done. Fighting scenes were pretty cool.

Also, I was pleasantly surprised with the Hunger Games. I was expecting it to be crap like the Twilight movies, but it was pretty good.

Old
08-13-2012, 11:45 PM
LadyStanley
Elasmobranchology-go

http://earthquake.usgs.gov/earthquak...sc000bz29.html

7.7 quake off coast of Russia (Sea of Okhotsk)

Old
08-13-2012, 11:58 PM
CrazedZooChimp
Not enough guts

vCash: 1875
Send a message via AIM to CrazedZooChimp
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadmanSJ View Post
The 5th Element is one of my favorite movies of all time. Despite Chris Tucker trying really hard to ruin it.
What a great movie, I should go add it to my Netflix queue (really I should own it).

Old
08-14-2012, 12:02 AM
LadyStanley
Elasmobranchology-go

RobertaCBS5 9:23pm via Web A 7.7 earthquake in Sea of Okhotsk, shook Russia and Japan. No reports of damage or tsunami, but caused false Calif quake readings!

Old
08-14-2012, 01:12 AM
KirbyDots

Quote:
haha.

Spoil:

Coulson isn't dead, he's going to be brought back as "The Vision".
That was probably just a rumor, would divert hugely from the comics. Marvel seems to be staying extraordinarily true the original comics, and Hank Pym is going to be introduced in the Ant-Man film. Hell even Ultron is a possibility for that movie, so I think they might save that for later. I think its more likely that there was a reason they mentioned life model decoy, it would be a much easier loop hole to bring him back.

Last edited by KirbyDots: 08-14-2012 at 01:24 AM.
Old
08-14-2012, 01:12 AM
Graveland
HONE YOUR CRAFT

vCash: 50
Spoil:
I thought the whole vision thing was fan speculation.

I'm surprised anyone liked the spiderman movie I thought it was pretty bad. Garfield was terrible in this movie. **** bing by the way.

Lest we forget

Old
08-14-2012, 01:20 AM
KirbyDots

Quote:

Exactly. I'm a huge film buff myself and I would say that Avengers is a near perfect film. I would compare it to a film like Raiders of the Lost Ark, where one action moves seamlessly into the next big set piece driven action scene while give the multiple individual characters the room to shine. Also, as a big marvel fan I would say that I found the film pitch perfect in tone, Whedon and Marvel really understand the source material. Had a giant grin on my face through the entire film.

Old
08-14-2012, 09:01 AM
hockeyball

Quote:
Originally Posted by KirbyDots View Post
That was probably just a rumor, would divert hugely from the comics. Marvel seems to be staying extraordinarily true the original comics, and Hank Pym is going to be introduced in the Ant-Man film. Hell even Ultron is a possibility for that movie, so I think they might save that for later. I think its more likely that there was a reason they mentioned life model decoy, it would be a much easier loop hole to bring him back.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burt Macklin View Post
Spoil:
I thought the whole vision thing was fan speculation.

I'm surprised anyone liked the spiderman movie I thought it was pretty bad. Garfield was terrible in this movie. **** bing by the way.

Lest we forget
Spoil:

Yah it's a rumor, but it has pretty good legs.

1) Synthezoids have been mentioned several times, including the avengers, so we know androids are something that exist in the movie universe.

2) Whedon has said Coulson is not really dead.

3) Whedon has already said he doesn't want to include Wonderman so he needs an alternate way to use Vision if he plans to.

There's a lot of other crap out there but it would be an excellent way to bring Coulson back without trying to sell us that the wound wasn't fatal. I'm not saying it's fact or anything, but it makes a lot of sense.

Old
08-14-2012, 12:22 PM
KirbyDots

Quote:
Spoil:

Yah it's a rumor, but it has pretty good legs.

1) Synthezoids have been mentioned several times, including the avengers, so we know androids are something that exist in the movie universe.

2) Whedon has said Coulson is not really dead.

3) Whedon has already said he doesn't want to include Wonderman so he needs an alternate way to use Vision if he plans to.

There's a lot of other crap out there but it would be an excellent way to bring Coulson back without trying to sell us that the wound wasn't fatal. I'm not saying it's fact or anything, but it makes a lot of sense.

Spoil:

I'm aware of synthezoids in the Marvel Movie Universe, particularly Jim Hammond in the case of our discussion appearing in Captain America. Coulson being alive would play right into some of the themes introduced in the Avengers, the shadowy machinations of shield and Fury's manipulation of the team in particular. Simon Williams is a boring character and his brain waves are the least important part of Visions origin. I can understand Whedon not wanting to include him and the need to come up with a sightly tweaked origin for Vision, though Wonder Man plays such a small roll they could easily just say he was an android created by Ultron and leave it out all together. I could see how using Coulson's brain waves could be used as a ploy to gain the avengers trust, but I think the use of a LMD would be a much more concise way of settling the matter without fundamentally changing, through merging, two important Marvel characters. And yes, the Vision thing was all just a rumor furthered by fan speculation, I remember when this first came out very well. That being said, Vision is a fun character and would be an interesting addition to future Marvel films, I trust Marvel enough to get it right.

Old
08-14-2012, 12:31 PM
LadyStanley
Elasmobranchology-go

NBCNews 10:06am via web Ron Palillo, Horshack on 'Welcome Back Kotter,' dies at 63 nbcnews.to/PUXZfM

Old
08-14-2012, 05:44 PM
LadyStanley
Elasmobranchology-go

AirshipEureka 3:33pm via Twitter for iPhone I'm thinking I need to give a #mascotflight to get the fall started off right. What do you think @LouSeal01 @Stomper00 @sjsharkie?

Old
08-14-2012, 06:02 PM
The Nemesis
Global Moderator
Semper Tyrannus

Damn. Warner Premiere, the WB division that is responsible for the DC animated direct-to-video features, is closing down.

http://www.thewrap.com/movies/articl...hut-down-51791

That's a shame, there were some really really good films in that library (Batman: Under the Red Hood, and Batman: Year One in particular were outstanding. Their last film before closing will be an adaptation of Frank Miller's The Dark Knight Returns.)

"Do you know what "nemesis" means? A righteous infliction of retribution manifested by an appropriate agent."

Sorry, I am not taking signature requests at this time.
Old
08-14-2012, 06:59 PM
LadyStanley
Elasmobranchology-go

http://news.discovery.com/space/mars...te-120814.html

Does KM have the patience to wait a month?

Old
08-14-2012, 07:02 PM
KpopandHockey
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 50
There's clearly no life to destroy on Mars. On to the next planet I say.

Old
08-14-2012, 07:46 PM
Spacemania
Murray says: Rawr!

Send a message via MSN to Spacemania
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadmanSJ View Post
but thats what made the movie good

Closed Thread