HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Shea Weber

Old
08-14-2012, 06:57 PM
Flyers Time

vCash: 500
Shea Weber

As we all know Shea Weber has yet to sign the contract with the Preds. My question is if he refuses to sign the deal, and sits out this year. Does he become a Ufa? Imagine if half the season is locked out and he refused to sign the new deal. Not a big lose of time on his part. Preds will be royally screwed.

Flyers Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2012, 07:02 PM
Haute Couturier

No. The offer sheet is a binding agreement. He is signed for the next 14 years.

Haute Couturier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2012, 07:03 PM
Gibbs18

I thought if they matched they retain him for the 14 years because he signed it when the flyers offered it to him?

Gibbs18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2012, 07:06 PM
Flyers Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gibbs18 View Post
I thought if they matched they retain him for the 14 years because he signed it when the flyers offered it to him?
I guess it's just weird he isn't signing it.

Old
08-14-2012, 07:20 PM
hockeyfreak7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haute Couturier View Post
No. The offer sheet is a binding agreement. He is signed for the next 14 years.
This is not correct. He is not signed for the next 14 years until he signs his SPC.

The offer sheet is a binding agreement that the terms will be matched in an SPC that is to be "promptly formalized".

This is uncharted waters, and imo will require an arbitrator if the CBA expires before an SPC is formalized.

hockeyfreak7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2012, 07:28 PM
Flyers Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyfreak7 View Post
This is not correct. He is not signed for the next 14 years until he signs his SPC.

The offer sheet is a binding agreement that the terms will be matched in an SPC that is to be "promptly formalized".

This is uncharted waters, and imo will require an arbitrator if the CBA expires before an SPC is formalized.
How do you think that will go.

Old
08-14-2012, 07:34 PM
Haute Couturier

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyfreak7 View Post

It is a binding agreement on the terms. When he signed that offer sheet he was entering a binding agreement to play with the Flyers or Predators for the next 14 years at whatever the money is.

An arbitrator would just force him to sign. He has no leg to stand on here.

Haute Couturier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2012, 07:37 PM
hockeyfreak7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyers Time View Post
How do you think that will go.
I have little doubt that an arbitrator would rule the contract valid and allow it to be grandfathered.

Old
08-14-2012, 07:39 PM
Krishna

Broad street elite made a thread here
http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh....php?t=1246077

Basically we are in uncharted territory..

Krishna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2012, 07:40 PM
hockeyfreak7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haute Couturier View Post
It is a binding agreement on the terms. When he signed that offer sheet he was entering a binding agreement to play with the Flyers or Predators for the next 14 years at whatever the money is.

An arbitrator would just force him to sign. He has no leg to stand on here.
Right, but he's not signed for the next 14 years until he signs a contract for 14 years. Which he hasnt.

Old
08-14-2012, 07:53 PM
Mkoll
Inkvisiittori

By signing the offer sheet, he has agreed to sign the agreement.

So essentially he HAS agreed to sign it...he just hasnt yet.

Mkoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2012, 09:06 PM
pughater

he is probably on a long vacation

pughater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2012, 09:17 PM
MsWoof

He signed the offersheet knowing the circumstances, and he doesn't have a leg to stand on as far as wanting a NTC/NMC. If the Preds want to extend an olive branch they can give him a VERY modified NTC as in you can pick 6 teams you don't want to go to, which gives them leverage since they'll still have 24 teams to trade with if that's what they choose.

MsWoof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2012, 09:20 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beef Runner

I personally don't believe he will ever be a Flyer.

However, let me play devil's advocate here: suppose he is holding out for a trade? Technically, in that situation I think Nashville could shop him anywhere.

Edit: Do we know that Nashville has even given him a contract to sign yet? If not, perhaps they're waiting on the CBA?

08-14-2012, 09:32 PM
Broad Street Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish Invictus View Post
However, let me play devil's advocate here: suppose he is holding out for a trade? Technically, in that situation I think Nashville could shop him anywhere.
They cannot trade him for 1 year after matching the OS.

The only way out for Weber is via a trade in a year or some CBA tomfoolery. Neither are likely.

Broad Street Elite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2012, 10:48 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beef Runner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broad Street Elite View Post
They cannot trade him for 1 year after matching the OS.

The only way out for Weber is via a trade in a year or some CBA tomfoolery. Neither are likely.
Doh. I knew that already.

Beef Invictus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2012, 04:12 AM
PredsV82
Puckaroni and cheese

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish Invictus View Post
I personally don't believe he will ever be a Flyer.

Edit: Do we know that Nashville has even given him a contract to sign yet? If not, perhaps they're waiting on the CBA?
preds fan here.... even if weber asked for a trade nashville has to pay him $13 million the day the deal is signed and another 14 mil before the one year no trade provision expires so a trade wont happen.. he will be a pred, period.

If he holds out, the contract will be tolled, since matching an offer sheet is considered to having "entered into a binding agreement"

this story is getting blown out of proportion... nobody knows for sure if the deal is unsigned(only reference is a blogger who assumed it isn't) and if it truly isnt what the holdup is... but it wont matter one bit.

Weber didnt go through this process just to turn around and hold out and NOT get paid...

PredsV82 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2012, 04:47 AM
Giroux tha Damaja

Send a message via AIM to Giroux tha Damaja
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mkoll View Post
By signing the offer sheet, he has agreed to sign the agreement.

So essentially he HAS agreed to sign it...he just hasnt yet.
Not to split hairs with you, but that's sort of the nature of this topic...wouldn't it be more accurate to say that he hasn't agreed to sign an SPC with the Predators, but rather he has agreed via the offer sheet, that if he signs an SPC with the Preds, the structure will have to conform to that of the contract he signed with Philly? He could choose to never enter into an agreement with the Preds. I think Nashville controls his rights pretty much indefinitely in this situation though right? So the implications for everyone else are pretty much nil....?

Last edited by Giroux tha Damaja: 08-15-2012 at 04:52 AM.
Giroux tha Damaja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2012, 05:18 AM
KimiFerrari
Messi Is God

Maybe he is doing Nsh a favour and allowing them to collect the funds for his signing bonus, without cause too much havoc?

KimiFerrari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2012, 07:45 AM
El Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by KimiFerrari View Post
Maybe he is doing Nsh a favour and allowing them to collect the funds for his signing bonus, without cause too much havoc?
Maybe he is holding on to sign it until its almost certain that a new CBA is signed. In return, Nashville gives him a NTC of some sort for waiting to sign.

Makes sense for both sides.

El Emperor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2012, 08:00 AM
Mkoll
Inkvisiittori

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giroux tha Damaja View Post
Not to split hairs with you, but that's sort of the nature of this topic...wouldn't it be more accurate to say that he hasn't agreed to sign an SPC with the Predators, but rather he has agreed via the offer sheet, that if he signs an SPC with the Preds, the structure will have to conform to that of the contract he signed with Philly? He could choose to never enter into an agreement with the Preds. I think Nashville controls his rights pretty much indefinitely in this situation though right? So the implications for everyone else are pretty much nil....?
Split all the hairs you want, no big deal

I was just trying to simplify what is going on...some thought signing an offer sheet meant signing a contract.

Mkoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2012, 10:21 AM
Snotbubbles

Say it with me slowly.

"Shea Weber is not coming to Philly this year."

Really, the only way he becomes a Flyer in the near future is if the new CBA allows teams to put cash in a deal. That way the Flyers can re-imburse Nashville for the July 1st, 2013 bonus. But even then, it seems unlikely. Time to move on.

Snotbubbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2012, 10:49 AM
Larry44
10 - 88

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snotbubbles View Post
Say it with me slowly.

"Shea Weber is not coming to Philly this year."

Thank you.

Weber and Poile are apparently still working out a possible NMC/NTC addendum to the contract. That's it.

The Flyers offered one to him, but it cannot be put in the offer sheet. Poile is under no obligation to give him one, of any kind. However, it would be kind of stupid to lock up a guy for 14 who really wanted to play elsewhere, given the choice, then tick him off by refusing to give him even a limited (provide a list of 10 teams, for example) NMC/NTC.

Larry44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2012, 10:54 AM
BleedOrange
BuildThroughTheDraft

Shea Weber gets his NTC/NMC he will handcuff nashville and after the 1yr he will be a flyer book it...

BleedOrange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2012, 11:24 AM
StevensCakeBakerBacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by PredsV82 View Post
preds fan here.... even if weber asked for a trade nashville has to pay him $13 million the day the deal is signed and another 14 mil before the one year no trade provision expires so a trade wont happen.. he will be a pred, period.

If he holds out, the contract will be tolled, since matching an offer sheet is considered to having "entered into a binding agreement"

this story is getting blown out of proportion... nobody knows for sure if the deal is unsigned(only reference is a blogger who assumed it isn't) and if it truly isnt what the holdup is... but it wont matter one bit.

Weber didnt go through this process just to turn around and hold out and NOT get paid...
Regardless, NSH made the decision to match and made comments about not getting pushed around by larger NHL clubs; well, they just might end up getting pushed around by a single player.

I have no idea what happens with a matched RFA OS when the SPC does not get signed, but I do know that this does not look real good for a NSH/Weber relationship.

Seems that making the ego decision to keep Weber might come around to bite NSH in the a$$.

StevensCakeBakerBacker is offline   Reply With Quote