HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Tampa Bay Lightning
Notices

CBA / Lockout Discussion Thread (Update: player tested, owner approved)

Old
08-09-2012, 04:59 AM
Felonious Python
Purple Squirrel

vCash: 500
CBA / Lockout Discussion Thread (Update: player tested, owner approved)

Donald Fehr spent time in Barcelona updating the European contingency of NHL players on the CBA talks.

Quote:
He visited Moscow late last week — sitting down with Evgeni Malkin and Ilya Kovalchuk, among others — before holding a session Monday in Barcelona that was attended by roughly 40 players, including Henrik Zetterberg, Mark Streit and Jonas Hiller.
Barcelona?

Last edited by LightningStrikes: 11-21-2012 at 04:00 PM. Reason: separate thread
Felonious Python is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2012, 04:56 PM
BoltSTH

If there is a lockout will STH get pro rated partial/full refunds, or partial/full credit for the next year?

BoltSTH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2012, 09:52 PM
TheDaysOf 04
a new era

https://twitter.com/RenLavoieRDS
Quote:
NHLPA will show its proposal to the NHL at 11 am Tuesday, in Toronto. Expect Crosby, Ovechkin and Stamkos to be there.

Old
08-13-2012, 10:01 PM
Benders Lindyhop

This is gonna get really ugly. The PA doesn't even have a counter-proposal to give the NHL. They've come up with their own "vison" for the league. Hi there, lockout.

Benders Lindyhop is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2012, 05:57 PM
Still All In
Plz stop pucks

Quote:
Originally Posted by albatross View Post
This is gonna get really ugly. The PA doesn't even have a counter-proposal to give the NHL. They've come up with their own "vison" for the league. Hi there, lockout.
Don't know where you got that from...

Still All In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2012, 06:21 PM
Benders Lindyhop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Still All In View Post
Don't know where you got that from...
Got what from?

The players vision for the league? Or that the players weren't giving a counter-proposal to the NHL? They didn't, they came up with their own proposal.

http://www.windsorstar.com/sports/NH...650/story.html

Quote:
"What we expect to do tomorrow is to put forth an alternative view as to what we should do next," Fehr said Monday. "That's the best way I can put it
Quote:
Despite that, the union thoroughly examined it over the last month before deciding there was no true counter-proposal to be made. Fehr will instead offer up a "different kind of an approach" -- one that no doubt includes expanded revenue sharing and more flexibility than is currently allowed under the league's rigid salary cap system.

"It's how the players see the world," said Fehr.

I used the word vision instead of alternative view. My bad. Point is the same. And there is no way the owners sign off on what the players proposed today. Congrats to Fehr though, he's certainly winning the PR battle.

Benders Lindyhop is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2012, 09:43 AM
Felonious Python
Purple Squirrel

Quote:
Originally Posted by albatross View Post
Got what from?

The players vision for the league? Or that the players weren't giving a counter-proposal to the NHL? They didn't, they came up with their own proposal.

http://www.windsorstar.com/sports/NH...650/story.html

I used the word vision instead of alternative view. My bad. Point is the same. And there is no way the owners sign off on what the players proposed today. Congrats to Fehr though, he's certainly winning the PR battle.
It's all PR nonsense. By calling the PA's offer a 'counter-proposal' it implies that the league is the one calling the shots here, and they just need the players to get in line.

When they call it an 'alternate view', now the onus is on the league to come up with another way of saying that they're not going to (let's be reality) deny, the PA's proposal.

(in essence, the league has to deal with giving a counter-proposal to the PA now, if they don't shape the media message.)

Old
08-15-2012, 10:54 AM
EvanOberg

I know a lockout hurts everybody but specifically wouldnt be good for TB hockey. Not only because our window is closing with Marty getting a cup but for interest all around. This is a big year for the men in blue.

EvanOberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2012, 10:13 AM
Bolts265

I smell a lockout!

Damn....but I sure hope not.

8.3% unemployment and a struggling economy, can't they see the average Joe does not feel sorry for them in any way for making tons of money to play a game!

Bolts265 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2012, 11:04 AM
ultra63

I never understand why fans always blame the players especially this time when the owners are the bad guys.

"But if we lose NHL games or an entire season for the second time in less than a decade, it wonít be because the players lived and died on one particular principle as they did in 2004. It will be because Bettman and the owners grabbed the union by the ankles, held them upside down and refused to stop shaking them until every possible coin fell to the ground.

Don Fehr a boogeyman? Only to those who believe a partnership between players and owners involves the formerís total capitulation to the latterís naked avarice.
"
'
http://www.thehockeynews.com/article...CBA-talks.html

ultra63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2012, 11:32 AM
CC321

I don't believe there will be a long lockout, simply because the two sides aren't really that far apart. Contract lengths should be limited to close that loophole. Revenue sharing should increase, with a % of the increase mandated to be spent on advertising. Player salaries should be closer to 50%. I'm over simplifying, but making a functional system isn't really that far away.

CC321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2012, 12:10 PM
LightningStrikes
He is back

Quote:
Here's a look at how the salary cap and salary floor would be impacted by the current CBA along with proposals from the NHL and NHL Players' Association for the 2012-13 season:

Current system@

Salary cap: $70.2 million
Salary floor: $54.2 million

NHL's proposal@

Salary cap: $50.8 million
Salary floor: $38.8 million

NHLPA's proposal (assuming a fixed $16-million gap is kept in place)@

Salary cap: $69 million
Salary floor: $53 million
http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=403196

CBA discussions will resume on August 22.

LightningStrikes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2012, 01:33 PM
stryfe604

Quote:
Originally Posted by LightningStrikes View Post
http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=403196

CBA discussions will resume on August 22.
Man that's really far apart.

stryfe604 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2012, 03:08 PM
CC321

The important thing to remember here is that structurally the main issues (salary cap, some revenue sharing, etc...) are already agreed to. Who gets what percentage is not a complex problem, more a test of wills.

With there having been a painful recent lockout that is still fresh in everyone's minds I think a deal will get done sooner rather than later.

Old
08-17-2012, 09:55 AM
Bolto
?

Quote:
With there having been a painful recent lockout that is still fresh in everyone's minds I think a deal will get done sooner rather than later.
I hope so.....................

Bolto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2012, 11:13 AM
Felonious Python
Purple Squirrel

You know that a call from Obama probably wouldn't be very persuasive to Gary Bettman and the NHL to sign a CBA, but a call from Stephen Harper to the NHLPA might.

Old
08-18-2012, 09:52 AM
DangleDoppler

I wonder, is there a paycut in line for the league minimum according to the NHL's proposal? I'm much more interested in learning how players like Adam Hall will cope with the new CBA rather than Stammer and other stars..I mean, those guys will make their money one way or another in terms of endorsements etc.

I also would like the bump the STM question...If there is a lockout or delay to the start of the season, does anyone know how STM will be refunded?

DangleDoppler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2012, 09:58 AM
Bolto
?

Quote:
I also would like the bump the STM question...If there is a lockout or delay to the start of the season, does anyone know how STM will be refunded?
In 2005 we were offered the options of getting the money refunded or we could apply it to the next season.

Don't know if that's what they'd do this time................

Bolto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2012, 10:19 AM
BoltSTH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bolto View Post
In 2005 we were offered the options of getting the money refunded or we could apply it to the next season.

Don't know if that's what they'd do this time................
Judging by how aggressive they were to get new STH (free Jersey, concessions etc) my guess/hope is that will offer a refund or something like 5-10% forum bucks if applied to next year.

BoltSTH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2012, 01:13 PM
stryfe604

Quote:
Originally Posted by Felonious Python View Post
You know that a call from Obama probably wouldn't be very persuasive to Gary Bettman and the NHL to sign a CBA, but a call from Stephen Harper to the NHLPA might.
I doubt a call from Jesus himself wouldn't persuade Bettman. Maybe GW Bush, and or Romney might move him though.

Side note, does any else feel Bettman is an avid conservative republican?

stryfe604 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2012, 10:56 AM
CC321

Like going to the dentist

Bettman,
http://www2.macleans.ca/2012/04/03/c...into-overtime/

Old
08-21-2012, 11:55 AM
zeykshade

Quote:
Originally Posted by CC321 View Post
That article makes me think of Bettman in a whole new light. He's baller as **** as a businessman.

zeykshade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2012, 03:08 PM
LightningStrikes
He is back

Quote:
NHL collective bargaining talks were cancelled Wednesday after top executives from the league and players' union held an impromptu morning meeting to discuss the status of the negotiations. (...)

Formal talks between the two sides were slated to resume at 1 p.m. Wednesday but they have now been postponed until Thursday morning.
http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=403609

Aaron Ward: a starting point for CBA talks hasn't been established and that a lockout is likely (video).

Edit:

Last edited by LightningStrikes: 08-22-2012 at 03:15 PM.
LightningStrikes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-28-2012, 11:26 PM
dbieon12
Stamkos HOF

I thought the league was doing well. How could there such a big disparity between the two groups?

dbieon12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-29-2012, 08:55 AM
Felonious Python
Purple Squirrel

The reason why Donald Fehr is in there and not Paul Kelly is because a significant, active faction of the PA felt Kelly got along too well with Bettman, and that would hurt them during negotiations.

They feel that a combative negotiation will benefit them more than two guys getting along and making compromises.