2012 season discussion

Old
07-28-2012, 12:03 AM
Swervin81
Kadri ❤ Komarov

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle McMahon View Post
This Alouette defense has become almost unfathomably bad. They were a dominant force for a long time in this league. Now they look like they belong in the NCAA.
Maybe Div III

Swervin81 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2012, 03:42 AM
Holden Caulfield
The Eternal Skeptic

Quote:
The defense may not continue actually scoring points, but there's no reason to believe they can't keep up their current pace of only giving up about 15 per game, or close to it. I have never seen open field tackling this good in my life. If they maintain that pace, they'll still win more than they lose even with Jyles' poor play.
The Bombers defense of 11 was miles better than the 12 Eskies, IMO. The Eskies have a great D, but it is all BB or SSK cast-offs, plus a very few Esk players. It is probably the best D in the league, but it is nowhere near the best of all-time, don't kid yourself. They will need the O to contribute somewhat if they want to be a threat and so long as ultimate choke Jyles is at the controls they will not contribute when it is needed.

If EDM misses playoffs it will lay right at the footsteps of the guy who CANNOT finish games, Steven Jyles.

Holden Caulfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2012, 04:39 AM
Kyle McMahon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holden Caulfield View Post
The Bombers defense of 11 was miles better than the 12 Eskies, IMO. The Eskies have a great D, but it is all BB or SSK cast-offs, plus a very few Esk players. It is probably the best D in the league, but it is nowhere near the best of all-time, don't kid yourself. They will need the O to contribute somewhat if they want to be a threat and so long as ultimate choke Jyles is at the controls they will not contribute when it is needed.

If EDM misses playoffs it will lay right at the footsteps of the guy who CANNOT finish games, Steven Jyles.
I don't know where you got this idea from. Former Rider Donovan Alexander is the Esks only defensive starter from either of those teams. Almost every starter on this defense was brought into the league by Edmonton.

The Bombers D of last year was a swarming defense that could terrorize with the blitz. Once teams adjusted to that though, they were manageable, as the 2nd half of the season showed. The Eskimos don't rely on any single aspect, so I think this D is going to be harder for teams to adjust to. Time will tell though. And I certainly never claimed they were the best of all time.

Kyle McMahon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2012, 05:15 AM
Holden Caulfield
The Eternal Skeptic

Quote:
I don't know where you got this idea from. Former Rider Donovan Alexander is the Esks only defensive starter from either of those teams. Almost every starter on this defense was brought into the league by Edmonton.

The Bombers D of last year was a swarming defense that could terrorize with the blitz. Once teams adjusted to that though, they were manageable, as the 2nd half of the season showed. The Eskimos don't rely on any single aspect, so I think this D is going to be harder for teams to adjust to. Time will tell though. And I certainly never claimed they were the best of all time.
Uh, starting DT Don Oramansionwu and injured starter LB Clint Kent are from WPG plus Alexander. My buddy told me Hill was from SSK as well, he was wrong. Whatever.

The Bombers D was dominant all last season...the offense was exposed late last season, NOT the defense. The Bombers D was the best all year, but the offense could not stay on the field at all, it was all their fault. The Bombers D last year was far superior to this year's Esks D, IMO.

That being said, Esks have a great D this season. They completely stiffle the run, and are very effective in many different packages against the pass, very valuable. The Bombers relied heavily on the man vs man and high pressure last year, the Esks are more effective in many more packages compared to the 11 Bombers no doubt, but I don't think that makes them more effective. Backup QB Alex Brink managed to make some effective half-time changes against them, I gotta think the elite offenses of the league will be able to solve them.

Again though, Jyles' lack of finish which we in WPG are WELL aware of will be the restricting factor in EDM. He ALWAYS seems to lose in the last 3 minutes, it's absolutely amazing how bad he is when the game is on the line. He will not be able win EDM games, it's that simple, sorry.

Holden Caulfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2012, 12:51 PM
Kyle McMahon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holden Caulfield View Post
Uh, starting DT Don Oramansionwu and injured starter LB Clint Kent are from WPG plus Alexander. My buddy told me Hill was from SSK as well, he was wrong. Whatever.

The Bombers D was dominant all last season...the offense was exposed late last season, NOT the defense. The Bombers D was the best all year, but the offense could not stay on the field at all, it was all their fault. The Bombers D last year was far superior to this year's Esks D, IMO.

That being said, Esks have a great D this season. They completely stiffle the run, and are very effective in many different packages against the pass, very valuable. The Bombers relied heavily on the man vs man and high pressure last year, the Esks are more effective in many more packages compared to the 11 Bombers no doubt, but I don't think that makes them more effective. Backup QB Alex Brink managed to make some effective half-time changes against them, I gotta think the elite offenses of the league will be able to solve them.

Again though, Jyles' lack of finish which we in WPG are WELL aware of will be the restricting factor in EDM. He ALWAYS seems to lose in the last 3 minutes, it's absolutely amazing how bad he is when the game is on the line. He will not be able win EDM games, it's that simple, sorry.
Oramasionwu is not a starter. Howard, Sewell, Laurent, and Williams are the Esks starting defensive line. Kent isn't a starter in a 4-3 package to the best of my knowledge. Munoz, Sherritt, and Hill are ahead of him in the depth chart at LB.

Old
07-28-2012, 09:39 PM
Bruins4Lifer
HFBoards Sponsor

Riders should switch to hockey since it seems apparent they only like playing 3 quarters. Another brutal choke.

Bruins4Lifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2012, 01:05 AM
Noisespektrum

This needs to be said : AAAARRRRGGGGOOOOSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!

Noisespektrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2012, 10:29 PM
Marc the Habs Fan
Cakes!

vCash: 567
With the Stamps beating the Ti-Cats, 6 out of 8 teams are at 3 wins. Parity.

Marc the Habs Fan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2012, 10:40 PM
Noisespektrum

Thank god for WInnipeg, Toronto might actually make the playoffs.

Old
08-12-2012, 12:59 PM
VLoo

Cory Boyd released because he isn't a good fit for the Argos scheme anymore? Gotta be more to it than that, why wouldn't you deal him for something at least?

VLoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2012, 01:12 PM
Modo
Global Moderator
Mo'Benn

vCash: 627
Quote:
Originally Posted by VLoo View Post
Cory Boyd released because he isn't a good fit for the Argos scheme anymore? Gotta be more to it than that, why wouldn't you deal him for something at least?
Just saw that on TSN. He had to have done something off the field, maybe told off the coach or something like that, or something more serious. No other explanation for a .500 team, with the second worst offense in the league, to release their best player for nothing.

08-12-2012, 01:37 PM
Marc the Habs Fan
Cakes!

As an Als fan, I approve. Now release Chad Owens too.

Old
08-12-2012, 11:23 PM
Noisespektrum

Argos need to explain themselves. Coach Millanovichs reasons behind the Boyd Release are ridiculous. If the guy was bad for the locker room it should be said. Nvermind this " i don't wanna kick him as he's going out the door" stuff.

Old
08-13-2012, 12:10 AM
SlowShot

Still shocked that we released Boyd, came out of nowhere. Watching him give it his all live at Empire Field battling against Eliminian and the the hard hitting lions D all while injured was incredible considering the season was basically done.

This year he was a step slower but still had all his power from before. I'm mad right now, but that might change if Kackert can preform well like he has in garbage time. He's much faster than Boyd and can catch, but I would still much rather have Boyd.

If rumors of him going to Edm are true that would be a great fit. Jyles could just do what he did last year but this time he would have the best D in the league on his side.

SlowShot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2012, 12:41 AM
Kyle McMahon

Boyd signs with the Eskimos. Great signing. Charles has been adequate, but is more of a scat back. Boyd adds a power rushing dynamic. I'd like to see both of them getting a significant number of carries.

Old
08-13-2012, 02:35 AM
Noisespektrum

Quote:
Boyd signs with the Eskimos. Great signing. Charles has been adequate, but is more of a scat back. Boyd adds a power rushing dynamic. I'd like to see both of them getting a significant number of carries.

Very interesting to see Esks move in on Boyd. Jyles and Shaw surely had some input on the situation being former team mates of Boyd. Rob Murphy's opinion of Boyd may not speak for everyone and the Argos as usual are being secretive as @%#$.

Old
08-13-2012, 01:05 PM
Francesa
(╯□)╯︵ SƖ ןɥu ɐǝ

http://twitter.com/PreSnapRead/statu...58980861394944
Quote:
RT @tommytomlinson: The saddest SEC sentence ever written: Stephen Garcia is out as Alouettes' 4th-string QB, replaced by Jordan Jefferson.
Wasn't aware both of those SEC alumni were on the Alouettes

Francesa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2012, 09:46 PM
Swervin81
Kadri ❤ Komarov

Quote:
Originally Posted by Modo View Post
Just saw that on TSN. He had to have done something off the field, maybe told off the coach or something like that, or something more serious. No other explanation for a .500 team, with the second worst offense in the league, to release their best player for nothing.

Our best player and IMO pretty much the reason Boyd was let go. I'd think that Milanovich wanted to use the passing game more than the running game.

Swervin81 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2012, 04:52 AM
Noisespektrum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swervin81 View Post

Our best player and IMO pretty much the reason Boyd was let go. I'd think that Milanovich wanted to use the passing game more than the running game.

TO media is now speculating Boyds release was simply a salary dump? Money always factors in but i do not believe it was the motivating factor.

Old
08-16-2012, 11:01 PM
Marc the Habs Fan
Cakes!

The Ti-Cats are sort of like the Eagles/Chargers of the CFL. Tons of talent, yet constantly underachieving. How in the world did they lose that game with how they started it? Props to the Bombers for gutting that one out, good game to watch.

Old
08-18-2012, 01:32 AM
Kyle McMahon

Pretty much a year to the day after the most disgraceful home loss in franchise history (36-1 against BC), the Eskimos come out and serve up another massive ***** to their fans, spotting Montreal a 28-0 first half lead. Thanks for that one boys. You're welcome for taking my money.

Old
08-20-2012, 04:03 AM
Noisespektrum

whats that now? 4 losses in a row for the Riders. All is not good in the land of all things wheaty.

Old
08-20-2012, 06:43 PM
Kyle McMahon

The bottom as really fallen out from under the Riders after that hot start. Montreal has really turned things around out east, and the Bombers are looking better as well. Every team is right in the thick of things approaching Labour Day, which is good for the league as a whole.

Old
08-20-2012, 09:01 PM
Noisespektrum

Very True, Its been a while since Every Labor Day classic has had such important implications in the standings. Every team aside from Winnipeg is in the thick of it and if the Bombers string together a couple of wins in a row they will join the pack. I love this league. Plus, the NBC feed starts this weekend, good stuff.

Old
08-20-2012, 09:04 PM
King Woodballs
MVP! MVP! MVP!

Quote:
Originally Posted by llb9977 View Post
Very True, Its been a while since Every Labor Day classic has had such important implications in the standings. Every team aside from Winnipeg is in the thick of it and if the Bombers string together a couple of wins in a row they will join the pack. I love this league. Plus, the NBC feed starts this weekend, good stuff.
The bombers are 2 points from 1st in the east......

King Woodballs is offline   Reply With Quote