HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > International Tournaments
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
International Tournaments Discuss international tournaments such as the World Juniors, Olympic hockey, and Ice Hockey World Championships, as they take place; or discuss past tournaments.

Roster Talk '13 — Canada

Closed Thread

Old
08-03-2012, 07:13 PM
Nullus Reverentia

vCash: 500
People got really defensive when I made my opinion that Hay (And the assistant coaches for that matter as well) was a horrible choice because he's a well known defense first coach and it doesn't matter how hard you try that isn't going to work at the international level, but it was nice on a personal level even if it didn't help Canada that my concerns were proven right.

The Connolly disaster you mention was probably the best example of the mistakes Hay made.

Spott's a controversial figure in Kitchener for sure but he knows not to mess with a players style of play, play to your strengths not to what your coach thinks you should do. Murphy was dammed if you do dammed if you don't last year, he clearly wasnt' comfortable playing what Hay wanted him to do (I'd much rather have Murphy in that Russian game than Harrington), and if he played his own game Hay wouldn't have picked him anyway because he didn't listen. It's nice to have a coach who'll tell him to play like he does best.

Old
08-03-2012, 09:29 PM
Alberta tough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faidh ar Rud Eigin View Post
Kevin Prendergast and the staff this year seem to be alluding to their disappointment of last years coaching staff. Never said it directly but it sure sounded like he and Hockey Canada thought Hay et al. put too much stock into trying to make players defensively responsible.

He said this while discussing why he thought Murphy didn't make the team last year. Definitely seems like the team is going to be a lot more offensive oriented.
Offense was not the issue last year. One bad postioning/defence/bad goaltending game was the difference.

Old
08-03-2012, 10:09 PM
KareemTrustfund
California Gurlz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Endersoldier View Post
I agree with the thinking here. The last time Team Canada won the WJC was in 2009, an offensively geared machine with the emphasis on a skilled attack that could score by both heavy puck possession and quick strikes. This year's team Canada seemed unlikely to score off the rush. It also begs the question why Hay tried to force Connolly into a defensive role: the guy, for all his attitude "issues," was the most naturally talented player on the team in my opinion. Sticking him into a support role despite NHL experience did not seem right to me.
One of Hay's biggest mistakes was not rewarding players for good play. Connolly was (arguably) our best forward throughout the tournament, he was great on both sides of the ice, controlling the play in the offensive zone, and yet he wouldn't even sniff power play time. Pearson and Schiefele were spoon-fed minutes, and weren't doing anything with them. Although, Stones unit was usually pretty good.

Old
08-03-2012, 10:54 PM
Nullus Reverentia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alberta tough View Post
Offense was not the issue last year. One bad postioning/defence/bad goaltending game was the difference.
I didn't say it was, but this "we need players who think defense first" and trying to teach players that aren't comfortable with mitigating their offense to provide more defense only creates more problems. Hay has been a coach for a long time and I can't believe he doesn't recognize you can't make a player into something he's not especially in a short tournement like this. The team looked as bad defensively as they ever have and that was supposed to be their strong suit.t

A team that plays to their strengths can win gold, a team that tries to be something they're not won't.

Even though Spott won't put such a premium on defense, I can safely say that that they won't fall apart like they did in the Russian game with Spott coaching.

Old
08-04-2012, 01:32 AM
BLASPHEMOUS
**** THE KING

vCash: 450
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Dover View Post
One of Hay's biggest mistakes was not rewarding players for good play. Connolly was (arguably) our best forward throughout the tournament, he was great on both sides of the ice, controlling the play in the offensive zone, and yet he wouldn't even sniff power play time. Pearson and Schiefele were spoon-fed minutes, and weren't doing anything with them. Although, Stones unit was usually pretty good.
100% agreed. I can't recall if I've done so on hfboards, but I've been on record when talking to my friends, family and co-workers that I was never a huge fan of Connolly. His personality is something that might take some getting used to, but even then I was shocked at how he did not even seem interested when Tampa called his name.

Despite this, as questionable as his attitude was/is, what is unquestionable is his talent. He has the hands, the shot, and the skating, and heading into this World Junior he had NHL experience to boot. Mistake number one was turning him into something he was not, something that Faidh pointed out as an overall issue with how the roster was handled. Despite this, I can understand why a coach would maybe want someone like Connolly to prove him that he can take the role and work his way up. Connolly responded with consistent play on a checking line while doing stuff like this:

How does he get rewarded? He gets nothing. Meanwhile, players that were doing nothing whatsoever to justify their ice time, like those you mentioned, were kept ahead of him on the depth chart. It made no sense whatsoever.

Old
08-06-2012, 08:08 PM
KareemTrustfund
California Gurlz

Quote:
People got really defensive when I made my opinion that Hay (And the assistant coaches for that matter as well) was a horrible choice because he's a well known defense first coach and it doesn't matter how hard you try that isn't going to work at the international level, but it was nice on a personal level even if it didn't help Canada that my concerns were proven right.

The Connolly disaster you mention was probably the best example of the mistakes Hay made.

Spott's a controversial figure in Kitchener for sure but he knows not to mess with a players style of play, play to your strengths not to what your coach thinks you should do. Murphy was dammed if you do dammed if you don't last year, he clearly wasnt' comfortable playing what Hay wanted him to do (I'd much rather have Murphy in that Russian game than Harrington), and if he played his own game Hay wouldn't have picked him anyway because he didn't listen. It's nice to have a coach who'll tell him to play like he does best.
What do you have against Harrington anyway? You ripped him apart last year when he made the team, yet he was exceptional at shutting down top lines throughout the whole tournament.

I'm not trying to sound like a **** here, just trying to figure out why you think he should not be on the team.

Old
08-06-2012, 11:16 PM
spfan

H.Shinkaruk-R.Strome-T.Rattie
K.Rychel-M.Scheifele-N.MacKinnon
P.Danault-M.McNeill-C.Sissons
B.Gaunce-B.Jenner-T.Wilson

G.Reinhart-M.Dumba
C.Ceci-R.Murphy
S.Harrington-M.Rielly

M.Subban
Z.Fucale

Last edited by spfan: 08-21-2012 at 06:57 PM.
Old
08-08-2012, 07:07 PM
Nullus Reverentia

Quote:
Originally Posted by KareemTrustfund View Post
What do you have against Harrington anyway? You ripped him apart last year when he made the team, yet he was exceptional at shutting down top lines throughout the whole tournament.

I'm not trying to sound like a **** here, just trying to figure out why you think he should not be on the team.
I completely disagree about him shutting down top lines, he was no more effective than any other Canadian defensemen, and despite his "offensive explosion" against Dennmark Harrington wasn't going to provide a lick of offensive spark against a good team.

I ripped him last year because he probably didn't even deserve to be in the camp let alone make the team. If Hay wasn't looking for defensive defensemen Harrington never would have made the team.Murphy, Murray, Gormely, Hamilton all should have been locks, but Hay was ridiculous, and it's no surprise Hockey Canada alludes to their disappointment with Hay. Now Spott has his own issues (Overplaying Murphy, 40+ minutes a game, he played great but by the end he's clearly too tired) but he knows that you need players of all archtypes and making a player into something he isn't is a massive mistake.

He's one of the more overrated prospects, it's cringe worthy seeing people name him as one of the top prospects in hockey, I can't see him becoming more than a #4 defensemen at absolute best.

Old
08-10-2012, 06:35 PM
flames12

NHL lockout = Canada Gold.

Old
08-10-2012, 08:46 PM
KawaYui

Quote:
Originally Posted by flames12 View Post
NHL lockout = Canada Gold.
No lockout = Canada Gold

Old
08-13-2012, 09:28 AM
wings5

Heading into game 3 of the series I'm thinking

Lessio-Strome-Mackinnon
Puempel-Sheifele-Rattie
Shinkaruk-Monohan-Hudon
Laughton-Jenner-McNeill
Catanacci extra ( Rychel, Marcantuoni )

Harrington-Hamilton
Reilly-Reinhart
Siemens-Murphy
Ceci extra ( Dumba, Percy )

Subban
Marcoux

Old
08-14-2012, 09:39 AM
djmt

If per say, there was an NHL lockout, what would the roster look like? Who would be eligible? Is RNH too old? Or can he still compete?

Old
08-14-2012, 01:10 PM
wings5

Quote:
Originally Posted by djmt View Post
If per say, there was an NHL lockout, what would the roster look like? Who would be eligible? Is RNH too old? Or can he still compete?
RNH is most certainly eligible, and it would most likely be most of the same players who are playing in the challenge atm and would include those expected to challenge for an NHL spot such as Huberdeau and Hamilton.

Old
08-14-2012, 09:14 PM
leafsfuture

After the series, my lineup:

Huberdeau -- Strome -- Mackinnon
Monahan -- Schiefele -- Rattie
Danault -- Jenner -- Lessio
Hudon -- St. Croix -- Sutter
Di Guisseppe
Griffith ** if Huberdeau or Strome in NHL

Murray -- Reinhart
Rielly -- Hamilton
Harrington -- Dumba
Murphy
Percy ** (if Murray in NHL)

Subban
(who cares)

Old
08-14-2012, 09:37 PM
OttawaRoughRiderFan
Make It 30!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by leafsfuture View Post
Subban
(who cares)
Funny cause it's true.

Old
08-14-2012, 09:50 PM
wings5

I hope Marcoux, Graham and Francois Tremblay step up and get looks.

Old
08-15-2012, 04:51 AM
clarkebr

[QUOTE=leafsfuture;53581685]After the series, my lineup:

Di Guisseppe

Murray -- Reinhart
Rielly -- Hamilton
Harrington -- Dumba
Murphy

Subban

i think the game is too fast for Sutter.
What about Oullett?( spelling)
i would take Wilson if he can control the penalties.

Old
08-15-2012, 09:02 AM
leafsfuture

i think the game is too fast for Sutter.
What about Oullett?( spelling)
i would take Wilson if he can control the penalties.[/QUOTE]

I was debating Sutter and Laughton for that last spot, and put Sutter because we didnt see what Laughton would look like in the Series.

If Murray plays there would be simply no room for Oullett, but if he doesnt he likely gets that spot. Having seen Percy play regularly, and having seen him play in the AHL I think he would do a fine job as a Murray lite player

I think Wilson could be a Della Rovere all over again.... no point in my mind this year

Old
08-15-2012, 06:13 PM
newfy

Quote:
Originally Posted by leafsfuture View Post
After the series, my lineup:

Di Guisseppe

Murray -- Reinhart
Rielly -- Hamilton
Harrington -- Dumba
Murphy

Subban
(who cares)
Huberdeau - Strome - Mackinnon
Monahan - Scheifle - Rattie

I like your top 6 but I think after that there needs to be more offensive punch from somewhere. Griffith might be that offensive third line type I guess if he really comes storming out of the gate. I'm undecided on Wilson coming. Seems like Canada always takes that one wrecking ball to shift momentum and if he has a good start I think itll be his spot to lose.

Your defense is kinda questionable. I doubt both Murray or Hamilton will be available but I think Canada may get one of them.

I think the defense with those 2 like you said should be:

Murray - Reilly
Ouellet - Harrington
Dumba - Hamilton
Murphy (Dumba and Murphy could switch)

Ouellet and Harrington were the shutdown pair matched up against Yakupov late in the game and OT for this tourney and the coaches really like Ouellet. There is a very slim chance Percy takes his spot after he wasnt invited to this camp.

Percy and Ryan Sproul will both get looks though if they have good starts and especially if Murray and Hamilton are gone. I dont see them taking all of Reilly, Murray, DUmba and Reinhart though because Canada likes experience and all those guys are still quite young.

Subban is the clear favourite as the starter

Old
08-15-2012, 08:25 PM
TheFatOne
Mr.Negativo

Huberdeau - Strome - Mackinnon
Monahan - Schiefele - Rattie
Hudon - McNeil - Lessio
Danault - Jenner - Wilson

Murray - Reilly
Murphy - Harrington
Dumba - Reinhart

Subban
(It dosent matter)

Old
08-16-2012, 03:48 AM
clarkebr

did someone say that Mcneill was in the bad books with HC.
Does Sproul and Griffth get a look?

Old
08-20-2012, 04:47 AM
clarkebr

[QUOTE=leafsfuture;53581685]After the series, my lineup:

Di Guisseppe

Murray -- Reinhart
Rielly -- Hamilton
Harrington -- Dumba
Murphy

Subban

Has Breandan Gaunce fell off the radar?

Old
08-22-2012, 06:02 AM
clarkebr

Quote:
Kevin Prendergast and the staff this year seem to be alluding to their disappointment of last years coaching staff. Never said it directly but it sure sounded like he and Hockey Canada thought Hay et al. put too much stock into trying to make players defensively responsible.

He said this while discussing why he thought Murphy didn't make the team last year. Definitely seems like the team is going to be a lot more offensive oriented.
Do you think that is the same case.I think it was a mistake by not taking Murphy last year. Does that mean that Peumpel and St Croix now get a shot at replacing Huberdeau and Schefile. What about Ritchie? does he see his way instead of Di Giuseppe type player role.

Old
08-29-2012, 04:29 AM
Mr Writer

I see the idiot chief scout is opening up his big yap again...well, at least this year he thinks Mackinnon is deserving of an invite to WJHC camp. Gee, Kevin, ya think?

When will HC dump this clown overboard?

http://metronews.ca/sports/350920/ma...in-long-shots/

Old
08-29-2012, 04:36 AM
clarkebr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Writer View Post
I see the idiot chief scout is opening up his big yap again...well, at least this year he thinks Mackinnon is deserving of an invite to WJHC camp. Gee, Kevin, ya think?

When will HC dump this clown overboard?

http://metronews.ca/sports/350920/ma...in-long-shots/
maybe true, what is he going to say? that he is a lock for the team.

The Americans hype JONES like he is the second coming, but we do bring down our own some times and offer little incentive( not even camp invites- which i think is wrong) for any underager to live the u20 dream.

Closed Thread