HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Business of Hockey
The Business of Hockey Discuss the financial and business aspects of the NHL. Topics may include the CBA, work stoppages, broadcast contracts, franchise sales, and NHL revenues.

Careers in Hockey: A collection of resources

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
07-14-2012, 04:22 PM
  #176
Power2ThePenguins
Registered User
 
Power2ThePenguins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: East Coast
Country: United States
Posts: 565
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Power2ThePenguins
OK, I'll bite...

I've been writing about hockey for two years now for free. I knew later in my college career that I wanted to work in the professional sports industry. As I've posted here before, I was ignorant enough to not understand that this requires tons of internships and networking. As a result, I'm now trying to play catch up and have a couple of good contacts, but not an extensive network by any means.

Sure, it's been hard work, but I can't see myself doing anything else. I don't have that great of a social life, so working a job with long, non-typical hours isn't that big of a deal to me. I've always had a more work-oriented attitude, though I wouldn't say I'm a workaholic. I did worry I would get sick of hockey after writing about it so much, but I haven't. I have season tickets to my hometown minor league team and attend plenty of functions as a fan. I travel out of town to see my team too. I collect jerseys. I do all that even when researching articles 1-3 times a week because I love it.

It's great being a fan, but I have a desire to be behind the scenes on game day, to be able to have credentials and interview players and write stories for the game programs. I want to be able to write press releases on new signings and engage with fans to get them just as excited about whatever team I might end up with as I am. I want to live in different places in my career and meet new people and have new experiences. Sure, you can get that in other non-sports jobs, but I don't want to do anything else.

Have I thought about backup plans or had moments when I think this may not be for me? Definitely. Talking to one of the people I respect most in this business and hearing about how one of his game days started at 6 a.m. definitely gave me pause (it was a playoff game with lots of media in town), and I empathized. But I'm still working towards my goal because I just have too strong of a desire to give up so easily.

So I could become just a fan and get a different job, but I really don't want to.

Power2ThePenguins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2012, 10:28 PM
  #177
BleedBlue42
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 112
vCash: 500
Head Start on Hockey Business?

Hey all. Right now, I'm taking classes for Sports Business, and am a couple of years away from earning a Sports Business degree. My goal is to work on the business side of an NHL team. Is there a website any of you can direct me to, so that I can read over CBA and other general NHL documents, just so I can keep updated?

Also, I've been thinking about getting into scouting. So, other than RinkNet, is there any type of FREE program or software I can download than can get me introduced to scouting?
Sorry if this is in the wrong section. But any help is appreciated.

BleedBlue42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2012, 10:38 PM
  #178
Dado
Guest
 
Country:
Posts: n/a
vCash:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NHL_Col...ning_Agreement

  Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2012, 06:58 PM
  #179
BleedBlue42
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 112
vCash: 500
Is there any free online material you guys recommend I read for hockey business? While there is no hockey season, what can I do to somehow get a head start with scouting practice?

BleedBlue42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2012, 09:14 PM
  #180
BleedBlue42
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 112
vCash: 500
Anyone willing to provide career paths in hockey, or just sports business in general? Please PM me, so we don't take up space in the thread, thanks!

BleedBlue42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2012, 05:52 AM
  #181
NYR89
Registered User
 
NYR89's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Seattle, WA
Country: United States
Posts: 2,608
vCash: 500
Just got my big break this week and it feels amazing. Although I couldn't turn my hockey internship into a job in hockey, it has turned into a job in a professional sports organization.

The biggest piece of advice I can give, and I'm pretty sure I have before, is to be persistent. Show everyone that you want the job more than the next person. When you get the chance to intern/volunteer for a team be the go to person. You are always ON when you are working for a team. Be willing to do anything and everything even if you think you are "above" what you are being asked to do. The majority of the people in the industry started at the bottom of the barrel and moved up. Don't quit!

NYR89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2012, 03:49 PM
  #182
Power2ThePenguins
Registered User
 
Power2ThePenguins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: East Coast
Country: United States
Posts: 565
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Power2ThePenguins
Has anyone ever gone to grad school for sports management or know someone who has? I've been going back and forth on doing this, and my opinion is that there's not a lot of point in doing so. I've talked to people in the biz who are doing just fine with no grad school, but at the same time, I can't even seem to get a temporary job in media relations/PR, so I'm torn.

I'm also looking at grad school for PR or marketing communications. But I have enough student loans from undergrad as is and want to make the right choice.

Power2ThePenguins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2012, 06:13 PM
  #183
NYR89
Registered User
 
NYR89's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Seattle, WA
Country: United States
Posts: 2,608
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Power2ThePenguins View Post
Has anyone ever gone to grad school for sports management or know someone who has? I've been going back and forth on doing this, and my opinion is that there's not a lot of point in doing so. I've talked to people in the biz who are doing just fine with no grad school, but at the same time, I can't even seem to get a temporary job in media relations/PR, so I'm torn.

I'm also looking at grad school for PR or marketing communications. But I have enough student loans from undergrad as is and want to make the right choice.
Everything I have ever been told is to NOT go Sport Management in grad school. Look for schools that have an MBA with a specialization in sports. Schools like UMass and Ohio have programs similar to that. However, those are basically the top two programs in the nation. In addition, Ohio's program caters towards sales. If I ever go back to grad school I would go for an MBA. It will make you more well rounded and also would be more suitable if the sports field doesn't work out.

It's a tough business to crack. Having just graduated I've been very lucky to have recently secured a sports job, but my entire family is furious that I took it because of the pay involved. Most of my friends who are in entry level are struggling somewhat but it can be done. You just have to want it.

NYR89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2012, 11:02 AM
  #184
Power2ThePenguins
Registered User
 
Power2ThePenguins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: East Coast
Country: United States
Posts: 565
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Power2ThePenguins
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR89 View Post
Everything I have ever been told is to NOT go Sport Management in grad school. Look for schools that have an MBA with a specialization in sports. Schools like UMass and Ohio have programs similar to that. However, those are basically the top two programs in the nation. In addition, Ohio's program caters towards sales. If I ever go back to grad school I would go for an MBA. It will make you more well rounded and also would be more suitable if the sports field doesn't work out.

It's a tough business to crack. Having just graduated I've been very lucky to have recently secured a sports job, but my entire family is furious that I took it because of the pay involved. Most of my friends who are in entry level are struggling somewhat but it can be done. You just have to want it.
Thanks for the help. I have an interview with an ECHL team on Tuesday...it's just for an internship and I have no clue if it pays or not...which, unfortunately, is what it's going to come down to for me. I know I want the position otherwise, but I'd have to move for it. However, I'm just excited to have an interview, and if nothing else, it's practice.

Power2ThePenguins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2012, 08:48 AM
  #185
NYR89
Registered User
 
NYR89's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Seattle, WA
Country: United States
Posts: 2,608
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Power2ThePenguins View Post
Thanks for the help. I have an interview with an ECHL team on Tuesday...it's just for an internship and I have no clue if it pays or not...which, unfortunately, is what it's going to come down to for me. I know I want the position otherwise, but I'd have to move for it. However, I'm just excited to have an interview, and if nothing else, it's practice.
Chances are it is going to be unpaid. I just completed an internship with an NHL team and it was unpaid. The only professional hockey team I know that flat out pays is MSG (Rangers). Like you said though, at the very least it is good interview practice. You can never have too much.

If you would love the position, why can't you move anyway? Pick up a part-time gig or ask family for some financial help. Tell them you will pay them back when you get the opportunity.

Sometimes you just have to go for it. In the pro sports business you might only get one break. You have to pull every string possible to make it happen when that break comes.

NYR89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2012, 01:30 PM
  #186
Power2ThePenguins
Registered User
 
Power2ThePenguins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: East Coast
Country: United States
Posts: 565
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Power2ThePenguins
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR89 View Post
Chances are it is going to be unpaid. I just completed an internship with an NHL team and it was unpaid. The only professional hockey team I know that flat out pays is MSG (Rangers). Like you said though, at the very least it is good interview practice. You can never have too much.

If you would love the position, why can't you move anyway? Pick up a part-time gig or ask family for some financial help. Tell them you will pay them back when you get the opportunity.

Sometimes you just have to go for it. In the pro sports business you might only get one break. You have to pull every string possible to make it happen when that break comes.
My parents aren't in the position to help me out. They have their own financial matters to attend to and I have a sibling in college. I have another sibling that lives away from home and doesn't make tons of money, but her and her boyfriend are responsible for their own rent. She doesn't get any money for support from our parents, and her and her boyfriend don't have great paying jobs.

I have a full-time job working from home, so I could always keep that...working remotely and never needing to be in an office has its benefits. I'm not even sure yet how many hours per week the position requires so there's a lot to find out before I can make the best decision if they offer it to me.

Power2ThePenguins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2012, 07:16 PM
  #187
NYR89
Registered User
 
NYR89's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Seattle, WA
Country: United States
Posts: 2,608
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Power2ThePenguins View Post
My parents aren't in the position to help me out. They have their own financial matters to attend to and I have a sibling in college. I have another sibling that lives away from home and doesn't make tons of money, but her and her boyfriend are responsible for their own rent. She doesn't get any money for support from our parents, and her and her boyfriend don't have great paying jobs.

I have a full-time job working from home, so I could always keep that...working remotely and never needing to be in an office has its benefits. I'm not even sure yet how many hours per week the position requires so there's a lot to find out before I can make the best decision if they offer it to me.
Are you still in school? Some schools have scholarships/awards for unpaid interns to help offset the cost. I ended up getting a couple thousand to move to a different city as an intern. It really made the difference between being able to afford it and not being able to.

Good luck with the interview! I hope you get it. There's nothing better than getting the position you want.

NYR89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2012, 07:40 PM
  #188
Power2ThePenguins
Registered User
 
Power2ThePenguins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: East Coast
Country: United States
Posts: 565
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Power2ThePenguins
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR89 View Post
Are you still in school? Some schools have scholarships/awards for unpaid interns to help offset the cost. I ended up getting a couple thousand to move to a different city as an intern. It really made the difference between being able to afford it and not being able to.

Good luck with the interview! I hope you get it. There's nothing better than getting the position you want.
Thanks for the good wishes. Unfortunately, I graduated four years ago, so that kind of option wouldn't be available to me now.

I really would rather a paying job in sports rather than risk another unpaid internship (I did one in college and two since; one led to the job I have now), but if this comes through, then I'll try everything I can to make it work. You are right that I may only ever get one break in sports, and I just want something to come through.

Power2ThePenguins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2012, 08:28 PM
  #189
NYR89
Registered User
 
NYR89's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Seattle, WA
Country: United States
Posts: 2,608
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Power2ThePenguins View Post
Thanks for the good wishes. Unfortunately, I graduated four years ago, so that kind of option wouldn't be available to me now.

I really would rather a paying job in sports rather than risk another unpaid internship (I did one in college and two since; one led to the job I have now), but if this comes through, then I'll try everything I can to make it work. You are right that I may only ever get one break in sports, and I just want something to come through.
I assume you've heard of teamworkonline.com and workinsports.com? I've never used workinsports but I got my internship and job by applying via teamworkonline.

NYR89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2012, 10:33 PM
  #190
Power2ThePenguins
Registered User
 
Power2ThePenguins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: East Coast
Country: United States
Posts: 565
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Power2ThePenguins
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR89 View Post
I assume you've heard of teamworkonline.com and workinsports.com? I've never used workinsports but I got my internship and job by applying via teamworkonline.
I have heard of them both. My interview on Tuesday is thanks to an application I submitted on Teamwork. I had an interview for a different opportunity from Work In Sports, but I wasn't that impressed by it and turned it down.

Power2ThePenguins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2012, 02:20 AM
  #191
FifthLine
Leaf Syndrome
 
FifthLine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,843
vCash: 400
Moving up from an internship?

Don't really know where to put this, sorry if it's not suppose to be here. But I had a question and can't really find any answer anywhere on the internet.

So I'm going to College for sports management. I know that is key to landing a job in hockey ops field. But I've heard lots of people get stuck in the ticket sales side of this (which I would hate to do).

So I've heard they say, get an internship anywhere in the business, in my case the MLSE. Once there, work your way up. But honestly, how do you work your way up? I don't understand the process.

If anyone could shed some light on this would be GREATLY appreciated, thanks.

FifthLine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2012, 03:10 AM
  #192
Screw You Rick Nash
🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨
 
Screw You Rick Nash's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Brooklyn, New NY
Country: United States
Posts: 27,223
vCash: 3000
I believe internships usually end after a specified date. After that, they may offer you a job. I never interned, but I will sometime in the future, so someone feel free to correct me.

__________________
++++++++++[>+++++++>++++++++++>+++>+<<<<
-]>++++++.>+.+++++++++++++++.>+++++++++.<-.
>-------.<<-----.>----.>.<<+++++++++++.>-------------
-.+++++++++++++.-------.--.+++++++++++++.+.>+.>.

New and improved Hockey Standings
"A jimmie for a jimmie makes the whole world rustled." -31-
Screw You Rick Nash is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2012, 03:30 AM
  #193
saskganesh
Registered User
 
saskganesh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: the Annex
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,037
vCash: 500
It's like any other industry. You work hard, get noticed, make friends with your coworkers and superiors, get noticed some more, and eventually become indispensable. That's when they decide to start paying you, rather than merely replace you with another starry eyed intern for more free labour.

I also think you should get off your high horse about ticket sales. It's not sexy, and yeah it's a grind, but it is indispensable to the functioning of any sports business. And it will pay for you to know -- at all levels -- as much as possible about the business you want to enter.

Pay your dues dude.

saskganesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2012, 03:44 AM
  #194
FifthLine
Leaf Syndrome
 
FifthLine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,843
vCash: 400
Another question, Im just finishing up high school this year, and I'm not really sure how College and all that works, and what I should take. So knowing I'd like to get into that field, can anyone set me up with what to study and some sort of a career path? It would be GREATLY appreciated.

FifthLine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2012, 04:13 AM
  #195
RTN
Be Kind, Rewind
 
RTN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 1,882
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by YunelYESco View Post
Another question, Im just finishing up high school this year, and I'm not really sure how College and all that works, and what I should take. So knowing I'd like to get into that field, can anyone set me up with what to study and some sort of a career path? It would be GREATLY appreciated.
What college are you going to?

Personally, I would recommend not going into sports management. If you want to do that fine, but go for a business degree and take sports management courses. If it doesn't work out, you're going to have a tough time getting a more "regular" jobs if your degree says sports management. It can actually be tough just getting a job with a general business degree (except accounting). My friend got one and then had to go back to school and get another degree. He was a top student too, heading to dental school now.

Reading your posts, it seems you don't really have a grasp of college/university yet. Go in with an open mind of what you're going do in the future. Lots of people change majors after one or two years. Give yourself as many opportunities to be successful by keeping your options open.

RTN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2012, 05:39 AM
  #196
Confucius
Registered User
 
Confucius's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,460
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by YunelYESco View Post
Don't really know where to put this, sorry if it's not suppose to be here. But I had a question and can't really find any answer anywhere on the internet.

So I'm going to College for sports management. I know that is key to landing a job in hockey ops field. But I've heard lots of people get stuck in the ticket sales side of this (which I would hate to do).

So I've heard they say, get an internship anywhere in the business, in my case the MLSE. Once there, work your way up. But honestly, how do you work your way up? I don't understand the process.

If anyone could shed some light on this would be GREATLY appreciated, thanks.
Funny but that is where Two x Toronto GM's have come from. Both Gord Ash (Blue Jays) and Gord Stellick (Leafs) started in ticket sales. Sorry but I don't know what other credentials they may have had.

Confucius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2012, 02:55 PM
  #197
FifthLine
Leaf Syndrome
 
FifthLine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,843
vCash: 400
Quote:
Originally Posted by McDonald19 View Post
Has anyone had a good experience with those Sports Management Worldwide courses?

http://www.sportsmanagementworldwide.com/

I took the scouting and GM course.

I learned a few things, the most valuable was probably getting to use the rinknet software.

I keep seeing that AD in The Hockey News. They get people's hopes up that they can actually have a job in the NHL. Oh well...
How did you like it? I was reading about it before and thought it looked pretty cool. Would you recommend it?

FifthLine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2012, 06:13 PM
  #198
mizzoublues29
Unregistered User
 
mizzoublues29's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Columbia, MO
Country: United States
Posts: 1,942
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by YunelYESco View Post
Don't really know where to put this, sorry if it's not suppose to be here. But I had a question and can't really find any answer anywhere on the internet.

So I'm going to College for sports management. I know that is key to landing a job in hockey ops field. But I've heard lots of people get stuck in the ticket sales side of this (which I would hate to do).

So I've heard they say, get an internship anywhere in the business, in my case the MLSE. Once there, work your way up. But honestly, how do you work your way up? I don't understand the process.

If anyone could shed some light on this would be GREATLY appreciated, thanks.
I have an internship in the ticketing department of a pro baseball team right now, and with that attitude you won't get anywhere. I'll just leave it at that. PM me if you've got questions.

mizzoublues29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2012, 09:06 PM
  #199
Power2ThePenguins
Registered User
 
Power2ThePenguins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: East Coast
Country: United States
Posts: 565
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Power2ThePenguins
Well, I had my interview today. As I was warned, and maybe expected, it doesn't seem to be a paid position. A decision won't be made for about two weeks, and it doesn't seem like this team is going to do second interviews, so I suppose today was my chance. The position sounds good, but I'm second-guessing myself.

I'm almost glad the decision is going to take awhile so I can think things over with my family. But honestly...I'm starting to wonder if I'm willing to make the sacrifices. I'd have to move for no pay and then keep my job, which would have me working over 40 hours a week no doubt. I feel like there should be no doubt in my mind as to yes I'd take the opportunity, but instead...I feel like I can't bring myself to keep working for free. I'm getting older and have student loans and bills, like a lot of the population, and I just wonder if taking an internship is worth it if it's offered me.

I told my mom the other day that if I applied for a non-sports, 9-5 job and it were offered to me, I would be OK with that because I could keep all my hockey fan privileges. But right now, I feel like that I know nothing else because I've wanted to work in hockey for so long that it doesn't make sense to throw everything away and stop pursuing it.

Sigh...

Power2ThePenguins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2012, 10:15 PM
  #200
NYR89
Registered User
 
NYR89's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Seattle, WA
Country: United States
Posts: 2,608
vCash: 500
It's all about paying your dues. My personal story:

I just finished on campus this May and graduated with a Sport Management degree and a Marketing degree. To be completely honest, I learned more from joining clubs and organizations and being involved on campus than I did from class. Focus on standing out in everything possible and do things that have TANGIBLE results (ex. raising attendance xxxxx or raised xxxxxx). It will look great on a resume and gives you something to separate yourself from the rest of the crowd that took the same classes as you.

I interned with an NHL team this summer (only have 2 days left unfortunately). The key to transitioning the internship into a job is to work your ass off. Make sure every person that works for the team knows who you are. Make friends with employees AND interns in other departments. If there is an event going on in another department ask them if they need an extra set of hands. Even if they don't it will make you look fantastic. As far as turning a internship into a job with the same team immediately...it takes some luck. Someone has to be going out as you finish. However, that team/organization could become vital down the line if positions come open. Just because you don't get offered right away doesn't mean you will never work for them again.

As far as sales go, the one poster had it right. It's not glamorous at all, but talk to anyone in the industry and chances are they started in sales. It separates the people willing to put in the work to the one's that aren't. It also teaches you key skills in organization, communication and relationship building. My first job (starting in a few weeks!) is a sales position. I'm going into it open minded, but I would be lying if I said as of now sales is long-term for me. You just never know, it could be my calling. You have to be willing to try everything and work harder than everyone else.

NYR89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:36 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.