Wait... He's a centre?

First line centre problem... Solved!

Stewie Griffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2012, 11:47 PM
Johnny Hoxville
Formerly MVW

vCash: 50
I think all this says is that Flames are going to try and use all means to ice the best team possible. If Begin competes hard and beats someone out, Feaster is going to make a move and send that player packing. It creates healthy competition and I don't see any negatives to this. There will be competition all throughout our lineup at every position. Everyone will be playing for jobs so I'm expecting a better on ice product as a result.

Johnny Hoxville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2012, 12:21 AM
nogger
Can't stop the #dust

Quote:
Originally Posted by MVW View Post
I think all this says is that Flames are going to try and use all means to ice the best team possible. If Begin competes hard and beats someone out, Feaster is going to make a move and send that player packing. It creates healthy competition and I don't see any negatives to this. There will be competition all throughout our lineup at every position. Everyone will be playing for jobs so I'm expecting a better on ice product as a result.

Maybe Feaster knows our team is very soft and will without a doubt have tops in the league for man games lost.

I guess your idea is probably right too.

nogger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2012, 12:57 AM
Flames Fanatic
Man Shifty is Good!

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGleninator View Post
I don't get the point of the try out to be honest, he wouldn't be a upgrade on Jackman or Bouma or Aliu 2 years ago I can't see him being an upgrade now. I guess it is just to make the camp more of a battle for the 4th liners but with Stajan(?), Bouma, Jackman, Jones, Comeau, Aliu etc all fighting for 4th line roles seems wasted to me.
I said it on the main board but I'm going to say it here again.

I'm so sick of Flames fans thinking Aliu has such a high chance of playing on the team. Guess what, two games doesn't define a career. He has to earn a spot, not be given one. Begin is competition.

Personally, in a 4th line role, I'd rather have Begin over both Aliu and Stajan. Arguably Comeau at times too, when he's floating. Begin doesn't float. Ever.

Begin is a heart and soul player, the kind EVERY single coach in the NHL loves having on their team. This is literally a no risk try out. If we sign him, fantastic, free depth. If we get injuries like last season, we'll need him.

With people *****ing about not having contract spots, guess what, they're only worth something if you actually use them. Its like cap space all over again.

Flames Fanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2012, 01:10 AM
TheHudlinator

vCash: 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flames Fanatic View Post

I'm so sick of Flames fans thinking Aliu has such a high chance of playing on the team. Guess what, two games doesn't define a career. He has to earn a spot, not be given one. Begin is competition.

Personally, in a 4th line role, I'd rather have Begin over both Aliu and Stajan. Arguably Comeau at times too, when he's floating. Begin doesn't float. Ever.

Begin is a heart and soul player, the kind EVERY single coach in the NHL loves having on their team. This is literally a no risk try out. If we sign him, fantastic, free depth. If we get injuries like last season, we'll need him.

With people *****ing about not having contract spots, guess what, they're only worth something if you actually use them. Its like cap space all over again.
I never said Aliu should be given a spot, I said he is in the mix to fight for 1. I don't get how people think its only 2 games I watched him in Abby and the kid was great at the agitating role there too. I don't mind competition but with Bouma ready for a spot and Aliu looking like he could use one too we have more than enough competition, I don't think any player should be given a spot but that doesn't mean I want us to invite every UFA on a tryout just so we have the most competition. Begin couldn't make couldn't make the predators 2 years ago and now that he has had a major surgery and a year off he is nhl ready?

TheHudlinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2012, 01:23 AM
MarkGio

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGleninator View Post
I understand what you are saying but we currently have
Comeau, Stajan, Jones, Jackman, Bouma, Aliu

all fighting for 4th line roles having Begin there just seems redundant. It just doesn't seem like a good fit as Stajan is a better center Comeau is a better winger, Jackman is a better tough guy, Bouma and Jones are both better penalty killers.
This is how I feel. But I want to add to that. As far as "healthy competition" arguments are concerned, there's already very tough competition coming into camp. Let's assume Baertschi is pencilled in for 2012 season, then we have the following 11 players competing for the top 9

Tangs, Cammy, Iginla, Glencross, Cervenka, Hudler, Baertschi, Stajan, Stempniak, Backlund, Comeau,

So that leaves Jones, Jackman, Bouma, Nemisz, Aliu, Byron, Horak, and Begin competing for the last spot. That's at least 8 players already competing for 3 ****ing spots!! Not including if any of these players will compete for the top 9. Not including any additional names we could throw in there.

When people talk about how this helps healthy competition, that's like saying my fart is contributing to global warming. I'm pretty sure it was already there before I stained my undies.

Pretty soon I'll have to start name dropping all those who've been complaining about this organization's inability to give our prospects opportunities over the years, especially during the Sutter tenure when guys like Hagman & Kotalik were sitting on the 4th line. Because I recall a lot of "old boys club" comments.

MarkGio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2012, 01:34 AM
MarkGio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flames Fanatic View Post

Begin is a heart and soul player, the kind EVERY single coach in the NHL loves having on their team.
This is literally a no risk try out. If we sign him, fantastic, free depth. If we get injuries like last season, we'll need him.

Call me crazy, but I'm pretty ****ing sure that Aliu's two games in april meant alot more than Begin's two games over a season ago.

Kostopolous didn't float. Jackman doesn't float. Either did Jones. or Kolanos... So what, energy guys don't float? A 4th line should be filled with guys that raise their blood pressure on the ice? I expect the energy line to help the team sometimes. Or atleast be good enough on defense to keep a second or third line from generating offense. That's good depth, and it takes good players. Players that have played the game recently, otherwise let's call up Jeremy Roenick and see if he wants a try out.

MarkGio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2012, 02:38 AM
tmurfin
500g1000pts

vCash: 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkGio View Post
Call me crazy, but I'm pretty ****ing sure that Aliu's two games in april meant alot more than Begin's two games over a season ago.

Kostopolous didn't float. Jackman doesn't float. Either did Jones. or Kolanos... So what, energy guys don't float? A 4th line should be filled with guys that raise their blood pressure on the ice? I expect the energy line to help the team sometimes. Or atleast be good enough on defense to keep a second or third line from generating offense. That's good depth, and it takes good players. Players that have played the game recently, otherwise let's call up Jeremy Roenick and see if he wants a try out.
Plain and simple. If he's better than the other options, he makes our team better. If he isn't, like your suggesting, than no harm no foul. Your acting like he was invited because he's older, no, he was brought in to see if he makes the flames better. Your dead set on him not being better than the other options, so why worry?

tmurfin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2012, 03:58 AM
Backlund

vCash: 1263
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLAMES666 View Post
meh...
Exactly how I feel.

Backlund is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2012, 06:37 AM
berto14

One aspect everyone seems to be forgetting is the fact that the CBA states that a minimum number of "veterans" must play every preseason game. The relevant section is here:

Quote:
15.3 (d) A Club shall be permitted to dress a minimum of eight (8) veterans for any Exhibition Game. For purposes of this Section, a veteran shall constitute either: (1) a forward or defenseman who played in thirty (30) NHL Games during the previous season, (2) a goaltender who either dressed in fifty (50) or more NHL Games or played in thirty (30) or more NHL Games in the previous season, (3) a first round draft choice from the most recent year’s Entry Draft or(4) any Player who has played one-hundred (100) or more career NHL Games.
In order to give their regulars an extended break, last season the Canucks gave out a bunch PTO's to guys like Owen Nolan, Anders Eriksson, Niko Dimitrakos, Manny Legace, Todd Fedoruk and, you guessed it, Steve Begin. None of them had a realistic shot at making the team, but they all played in a handful of preseason games before being cut, helping the team ice the minimum number of "veterans" in their preseason games. Not sure if that's necessarily what's happening here, but it's an added benefit to a no-risk signing.

berto14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2012, 07:33 AM
Ynnek

I'm in for calling Roenick Hell lets get Hasek too and trade Kipper for some picks.

Ynnek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2012, 08:15 AM
CGYPUKSUX
The No Kool-aid Zone

I think this is a stupid decision. Why bring a guy into camp who is a fringe player at best and hasn't played more than two NHL games in three years, including playing a single shift of professional hockey last season? The Flames need to focus on getting better and younger from inside the organization, not bringing in washed up 34 year olds and danglingna carrot in front of them. If they waste a professional contract on this clown I'll be disappointed, as it shows no direction for the hockey club. Begin hasn't been NHL caliber for two years. Give opportunity to players that have the potential to get better, not those who are on the way downhill and close to retirement.

Quote:
Originally Posted by berto14 View Post
One aspect everyone seems to be forgetting is the fact that the CBA states that a minimum number of "veterans" must play every preseason game. The relevant section is here:

In order to give their regulars an extended break, last season the Canucks gave out a bunch PTO's to guys like Owen Nolan, Anders Eriksson, Niko Dimitrakos, Manny Legace, Todd Fedoruk and, you guessed it, Steve Begin. None of them had a realistic shot at making the team, but they all played in a handful of preseason games before being cut, helping the team ice the minimum number of "veterans" in their preseason games. Not sure if that's necessarily what's happening here, but it's an added benefit to a no-risk signing.
This is an interesting theory. Not really buying it, but it is an interesting theory.

CGYPUKSUX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2012, 09:36 AM
TherapyforGlencross
I'm the Man

He would make a GREAT 4th line center.

TherapyforGlencross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2012, 10:23 AM
CGYPUKSUX
The No Kool-aid Zone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamesrule View Post
He would make a GREAT 4th line center.
How would Begin make a GREAT 4th line center? He hasn't played more than 2 games in the NHL for three years. He's also injury prone. Maybe Begin of 2002, but Begin of 2012, I just don't see it.

Old
08-15-2012, 10:51 AM
Ynnek

Feater and company are not stupid so lets wait and see how this plays out. Maybe he's no good and maybe he's fully recovered and better than ever who knows.

Ynnek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2012, 10:56 AM
Johnny Hoxville
Formerly MVW

If Begin isn't good enough to make the team, then he won't. He wasn't signed to a contract so no one is handing him anything. He is a feisty player who is fearless and he has always played that way. Quite frankly, the way he plays is something we were missing last year.

I understand we didn't "need" to give him a tryout, but if he ends up being a better option than someone else, how is that a bad move?

All coaches like certain player types, so its to be expected that a couple of players that fit well in Hartley's system will eventually be brought in. I am going to wait and see him play a preseason game first before I give an opinion as to whether or not he should be on the team. I don't see anything wrong with giving this guy a tryout, he's a good guy and hopefully if not Calgary he ends up somewhere else.

Old
08-15-2012, 11:05 AM
Stewie Griffin
Benevolent Overlord

vCash: 0
^ My only concern would be his conditioning - he can show up for two weeks, but what about after game #62? How's he going to hold up?

Stewie Griffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2012, 11:11 AM
CGYPUKSUX
The No Kool-aid Zone

Quote:
Originally Posted by MVW View Post
I don't see anything wrong with giving this guy a tryout, he's a good guy and hopefully if not Calgary he ends up somewhere else.
I hope he ends up somewhere else, like Edmonton, Vancouver, Minnesota or Colorado. I don't see him as a NHL player anymore and would like to see someone else waste a professional contract on him.

Old
08-15-2012, 11:17 AM
InfinityIggy
Inflammatory Poster

vCash: 355
IMO if the "kids" can't outskill a 35 year old, more than a year away from the game, 4th liner, they shouldn't be making the team.

Begin can be a great barometer for who is ready, and who isn't.

InfinityIggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2012, 11:51 AM
Johnny Hoxville
Formerly MVW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stewie Griffin View Post
^ My only concern would be his conditioning - he can show up for two weeks, but what about after game #62? How's he going to hold up?
Good point. However, the Flames have alot of forward depth for next season. If he starts to fade down the stretch, we can always insert a younger guy for a few games to provide us with a spark.

Again, I'm not endorsing him making the team until I see him play. I do like his game and what he provides though.

Old
08-15-2012, 02:49 PM
DouglasQuaid
Blabbed about Mars

Quote:
Originally Posted by InfinityIggy View Post
IMO if the "kids" can't outskill a 35 year old, more than a year away from the game, 4th liner, they shouldn't be making the team.

Begin can be a great barometer for who is ready, and who isn't.
Exactly why I like the move.

DouglasQuaid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2012, 02:59 PM
I Hate Chris Butler
Backlund Fan Club

vCash: 410
Even if he doesn't make the team, he'll show the kids what work ethic looks like.

I Hate Chris Butler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2012, 02:59 PM
Johnny Hoxville
Formerly MVW

Quote:
Originally Posted by CGYPUKSUX View Post
I hope he ends up somewhere else, like Edmonton, Vancouver, Minnesota or Colorado. I don't see him as a NHL player anymore and would like to see someone else waste a professional contract on him.
I know what you mean, and that is a likely way that things could pan out. However it is premature to view him as a non NHL player before witnessing what he can do IMO. If he is clearly a better option than others for the 4th line by out performing them in camp, then he should earn a spot.

However, I do agree that having to have a certain amount of veteran players for preseason games is a very interesting point.

Old
08-15-2012, 08:22 PM
Roughneck

Send a message via MSN to Roughneck
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stewie Griffin View Post
Wait... He's a centre?

First line centre problem... Solved!

If he can win 50% of his face-offs he's as qualified as Stajan is for the role.

Roughneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2012, 08:23 PM
TheHudlinator

vCash: 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roughneck View Post
If he can win 50% of his face-offs he's as qualified as Stajan is for the role.
He has only had 2 seasons in the last 6 where he took more than 200 draws and he could barely skate before the injure he is just fodder.

TheHudlinator is offline   Reply With Quote