HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Today I...

Closed Thread

Old
08-10-2012, 08:54 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

vCash: 500
Found a MINT pair of Jofa elbow pads at PIAS. Going to make a tidy profit on eBay

Old
08-11-2012, 11:15 AM
do0glas

Found the local roller hockey rink. Looks legit! Benches, boards, and goals. The surface isn't as smooth as I'd like, but I'm mostly just using it as a workout/positioning practice for ice.

Going to stick time today. I have a 67 flex Easton that I've only used in a game, so I need to work on my snappers. I got lazy about sharpening my skates and I was all over the place, unable to change direction or accelerate easily, so if you're thinking you need to sharpen it, get it done . Funny enough I had my best game yet that day, probably losing the ability to speed it out kept me in check and made me use my brain.

How would you guys rate the pm9 curve? I'll be coming into possession of a Bauer x60 with that curve and just curious, I hears the blade is short? Thanks!

Old
08-12-2012, 02:57 AM
Fanned On It

Quote:
Originally Posted by do0glas View Post
Found the local roller hockey rink. Looks legit! Benches, boards, and goals. The surface isn't as smooth as I'd like, but I'm mostly just using it as a workout/positioning practice for ice.

Going to stick time today. I have a 67 flex Easton that I've only used in a game, so I need to work on my snappers. I got lazy about sharpening my skates and I was all over the place, unable to change direction or accelerate easily, so if you're thinking you need to sharpen it, get it done . Funny enough I had my best game yet that day, probably losing the ability to speed it out kept me in check and made me use my brain.

How would you guys rate the pm9 curve? I'll be coming into possession of a Bauer x60 with that curve and just curious, I hears the blade is short? Thanks!
Kinda flat... I enjoyed my time with it though. IIRC my slappers benefited from it. Couldn't get the puck up high as quick as I could with say a P88 or P92 (which is what I'm using now).

Old
08-13-2012, 08:06 AM
drivesrf

Today I ordered a David Clarkson jersey to replace my Zach Parise jersey. I also hope Clarkson is signed again so I dont have to buy another jersey!

Old
08-14-2012, 02:05 AM
SCritical

Went to my first skate development session back after breaking my wrist yayyy!

But in the free skate before the lesson this guy who was just starting out slipped over and smashed his front teeth out and shredded his chin. Of course all the coaches were gearing up, and the rink manager was nowhere to be seen, so I had to help him off the ice and left him sitting in the penalty box while I went to get the manager, who tried to give me attitude for interrupting her phonecall to her boyfriend to do her job () dragged her ass to the scene to do first aid and only then looked down to see I'd gotten his blood all over my jersey.

Ah hockey, I have missed you.

Old
08-14-2012, 10:40 AM
Danglous

Went to public hockey this morning. No one was there. Waste of $12.

Old
08-14-2012, 06:04 PM
Fanned On It

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dikkens View Post
Good chance to work on individual skills, though? No? I love having an entire rink to myself sometimes. Sticks and pucks all for yourself lol.

Old
08-14-2012, 06:48 PM
AZcoyotes
So... Now what?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dikkens View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fanned On It View Post
Good chance to work on individual skills, though? No? I love having an entire rink to myself sometimes. Sticks and pucks all for yourself lol.
I wish I could have a rink to myself sometimes. With the limited amount of ice in Phoenix, stick times fill up quick.

Old
08-14-2012, 10:39 PM
SauceHockey
Retired

Registerd for Rep hockey

Old
08-14-2012, 11:22 PM
Wilch
Unregistered User

My pro stock Winnwell gloves and pro stock Oakley visors both arrived today.

I don't wear visors, but I bought this one because it's in great condition and it was only $38. Stuck it to an old helmet of mine and I'll be using that for stick sessions now.

Old
08-15-2012, 03:02 AM
izzy3

Ordered a new set of undergarments (chepo Easton Nova) in preparation for my hockey camp, where I'll hit the ice 3 times a day, so needed a new set.

Old
08-15-2012, 04:26 AM
Wilch
Unregistered User

Scored a 4th liner hat trick tonight.

1 chip in goal, 1 rebound shoveled in, 1 open net from a beautiful set up from a teammate.

Old
08-15-2012, 08:14 AM
ChiTownHawks
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilch View Post

1 chip in goal, 1 rebound shoveled in, 1 open net from a beautiful set up from a teammate.
Well done! Is that your first?

Old
08-15-2012, 10:08 AM
Wilch
Unregistered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiTownHawks View Post
Well done! Is that your first?
Yep, thanks. Came close on a few occasions but never closed until last night.

Did score 5 goals before at a drop-in, but that was against a tired goalie on a super small ice. Not nearly as satisfying as scoring 3 in a properly competitive game through hard work.

Old
08-15-2012, 10:46 AM
ChiTownHawks
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Yep, thanks. Came close on a few occasions but never closed until last night.

Did score 5 goals before at a drop-in, but that was against a tired goalie on a super small ice. Not nearly as satisfying as scoring 3 in a properly competitive game through hard work.
Nice. Yeah you can't really count drop ins. IMO it has to be in a real game situation.

Old
08-15-2012, 12:12 PM
xX Hot Fuss
HFBoards Sponsor

I've never posted here and a lot has happened in the past week so i'm telling you everything, not just one day

1. Read all of this thread

2. Found out the HOF Chris Chelios will NOT be teaching my "Learn to Play" class. His cousin, named Chris Chelios, will be teaching it instead

3. Finished my "Learn to skate" classes last saturday

4. Bought the following gear:

-Bauer 4500 Helmet
-Bauer 4 roll gloves
-Sherwood 5000 practice stick
-RBK 11k that my buddy got my for real cheap

5. Been practicing stickhandling for about 3 days now in my basement on concrete floors

Hockey is ****ING awesome!

Old
08-15-2012, 12:30 PM
Wilch
Unregistered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by xX Hot Fuss View Post
I've never posted here and a lot has happened in the past week so i'm telling you everything, not just one day

1. Read all of this thread

2. Found out the HOF Chris Chelios will NOT be teaching my "Learn to Play" class. His cousin, named Chris Chelios, will be teaching it instead

3. Finished my "Learn to skate" classes last saturday

4. Bought the following gear:

-Bauer 4500 Helmet
-Bauer 4 roll gloves
-Sherwood 5000 practice stick
-RBK 11k that my buddy got my for real cheap

5. Been practicing stickhandling for about 3 days now in my basement on concrete floors

Hockey is ****ING awesome!

Ladies and gentlemen, here's Christine Chelios, cousin of Christopher Chelios.

Old
08-15-2012, 02:51 PM
Frankie Spankie

Today I almost got decapitated on the ice. I went to stick lift a guy while he was turning and he spun around trying to get to the puck but lost his balance and blade of the stick came flying around and hit my right in the cage, bouncing off into my neck. If it were an inch lower, it would've been full force to the neck. If I didn't have a cage, I wouldn't be surprised if I was nursing a broken jaw right now. Instead, I finished my shift with no injury at all. Remember kids, wear those cages if you're paying to play hockey.

Old
08-15-2012, 03:15 PM
Wilch
Unregistered User

I narrowed avoided a couple injuries last night. Some guy did a samurai slash to my face - saved by my cage. Another guy was about to run me full force and he missed by a few inches and spun me around a few times. Did a double axel before I recovered.

Old
08-15-2012, 04:44 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Quote:
Yeah I sometimes pay $7 to do stick and puck. It's great. Like going to the driving range.

Quote:

Congrats! Love hatties.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xX Hot Fuss View Post
Welcome!

And that reminds me of the Always Sunny episode where "Donavan McNabb" came to talk at the Eagles tryouts about McDonalds

Old
08-15-2012, 08:17 PM
Danglous

Quote:
I guess, I was hoping to play a game though. I got bored after 45 minutes and left.

Old
08-15-2012, 11:43 PM
Hank4Hart

today i stopped a wrist shot and the rebound flew into the air, the shooter took a baseball swing at it, missed but smoked my mask in the process.

now an entire section of the gel coat is chipped from my mask

Old
08-15-2012, 11:47 PM
Splitbtw
Free Torres!

I put shoulder pads back on for the first time in over a year in an attempt to let a shoulder injury heal better. I stopped wearing them due to not having a comfortable pair and felt hindered by them (at least the 2 pairs i had picked up from PIAS) I don't know if it was different pants or losing about 10 pounds or a combination of both, but they fit much better than the last time I put them on. In fact, I thought it would take time to get used to, but I felt better/more comfortable playing with them compared to playing without them. Big fan and wish I would have gone back sooner. Barely felt them there.

Old
08-15-2012, 11:58 PM
SauceHockey
Retired

<-----------New Gloves
In avatar

Old
08-16-2012, 01:02 AM
Fanned On It

My men's league team won tonight when i didn't think we were going to. The score ended up being 7-6 us, and we were coming from behind for pretty much the entire game. I scored the first goal and then after that we were behind the whole game. Got 2 goals and an assist, though, so that makes the win feel even better! In my 8 games so far I have 11 goals and 7 assists. I feel like I'm progressing pretty well from only starting hockey about a year and a half ago.

Closed Thread