HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Luke Schenn

Old
08-14-2012, 01:33 PM
BleedOrange
BuildThroughTheDraft

vCash: 500
Luke Schenn

Which one will we see this year the old L Schenn when he played in TO or the beast everyone was talking about when he got drafted?I think we see the beast everyone was talking about when he got drafted. New team playing with his brother i think luke is going to shine here in philly and everyone will be saying JVR who?

Discuss?

BleedOrange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2012, 01:38 PM
thelos
Bunk

Schenn was a beast for TO for a couple of years aswell. Last year was bad, but he was strong before then. You dont stick in the NHL at 18 as a D man if you suck.

thelos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2012, 01:38 PM
laundryman

I think playing with his brother will rejuvenate him. If he plays on a line with Timonen, I think he'll pick up a lot about the game and really put it together. I'm expecting big things

laundryman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2012, 01:42 PM
Brozgalov

I think the Toronto market got to him. Basically he was put in a position to be the centerpiece to rebuild the franchise. For a stay-at-home type defensemen, I think that was a huge mistake. I haven't seen too much of him, but with that kind of pressure, he probably tried to do too much, where his game is typically trying to do all the little things right, "just doing his part."

I suspect there will be little pressure on him in Philly (even though we have defensive injuries). Lavvy will tell him to just play his game and he will be paired with Timonen to start the year.

Kimmo will have free reign to push into the play as needed, and Schenn will be the stay at home guy he was meant to be. All with having the confidence from playing with Timonen and learning from him as well.

I expect him to have a "monster" year, but I suspect a monster year sees him put up like 15-20 points and lead the team in hits etc.

Brozgalov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2012, 01:43 PM
Alchemy
Philadelphia Flyers

Him playing with Kimmo is the best thing for him because physically i am not worried about him. But the mental aspect of the position is the most important thing and him learning from Kimmo is a great thing. I like his physical presence but he needs to know when to make the hit and not to make the hit. If he develops into a better positionally sound defenseman then the sky is the limit for him because he is still a young player who has already played since he was 18.

Alchemy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2012, 01:45 PM
Flyersfan1493
Formerly Go For It

Just a little bit of perspective on how young Schenn is.

Manning, who we hope one day can turn into a bottom 4 defenseman, is 22.

Schenn, who some are writing off as a bust already, is only 22 and already has 4(?) years of NHL experience.

Last edited by Flyersfan1493: 08-14-2012 at 03:58 PM.
Flyersfan1493 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2012, 01:49 PM
dats81

I expect him to be least as solid as Grossmann which is not bad at all and a good base to build onto.

It doesn't matter if he is on the first, second or third pairing - much like Mesz who is a top-4 minute wise but only a third pairing D on paper.

dats81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2012, 02:01 PM
flyersjamminontheone
In Claude we trust

Quote:
Originally Posted by Go For It View Post

Schenn, who some are writing off as a bust already, is only 21 and already has 4(?) years of NHL experience.
Well put!

Schenns are winners, and we gots two of them!!

flyersjamminontheone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2012, 02:29 PM
Brozgalov

L. Schenn currently has 310 NHL games... at what? 22? IMO it doesn't matter how he has played, Giroux has 285 NHL games played (not including playoffs) and he is a year older. I think it's fair to say Luke still has time to improve.

Brozgalov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2012, 03:34 PM
King Forsberg
21 68 88 16 44 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Go For It View Post

Schenn, who some are writing off as a bust already, is only 21 and already has 4(?) years of NHL experience.
I agree with your point but Luke Schenn is 22.

King Forsberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2012, 03:36 PM
The Couturier Effect

People forget that he is only 22 years old. He's still one of the youngest guys on the team and is only gonna get better with guys like Kimmo and Coburn around him.

The Couturier Effect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2012, 03:46 PM
JustJim

Luke Schenn will be a beast!

The games I saw him play at his best, he reminded me of Brad McCrimmon. He has a punishing style, and I'm sure the Flyers Phans are gonna love him.

JustJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2012, 03:58 PM
Flyersfan1493
Formerly Go For It

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingForsberg View Post
I agree with your point but Luke Schenn is 22.
Thanks. Didn't see I missed that.

Flyersfan1493 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2012, 04:01 PM
hockeyfreak7

I really think that if he could improve his skating and mobility he could exceed everyone's expectations. I would be shocked if his stock doesnt improve by next summer. It's pretty far down at this point, so the only way to go is up.

hockeyfreak7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2012, 08:35 PM
bp spec

I have a good feeling about this kid. Looking forward to see what he can do.

bp spec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2012, 09:31 PM
Swic21

With Luke it's been a classic case of a good young player being thrust into the spotlight in arguably the toughest hockey market out there. He's has ups and downs but one thing he has always had and always will have is his physicality. His best years with Toronto were when he was playing with kaberle, a very good offensive defenseman who is mediocre in his own end. This year in Philly he will be probably ( hopefully) be playing alongside timonen. Timonen is kaberle 2.0 even this he's A few years older lol. I expect Luke to flourish in philly with the pressure of his shoulders . It's a much needed fresh start.

Swic21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2012, 07:22 AM
Schenn10

Quote:
Originally Posted by bp spec View Post
I have a good feeling about this kid. Looking forward to see what he can do.
I have the same feeling. I think he will come in and do nothing but impress. Homer always seems to do well with reclamation projects.

I believe the kid will come in and get somewhere from 25-35 points, while playing punishing defense and really impress the fanbase.

I don't really buy the whole, he's playing with his brother now so they are both gonna motivate each other. Both players are in the NHL and both are extremely motivated people anyway. However, what I do like is that the Schenn's play a Flyer style of hockey, dedicated, gritty, tough, physical and talented.

Schenn10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2012, 08:07 AM
RJ8812*
Hellooooo ladiiiies

so leading up to the season, I'm expecting there to be a thread about every player...

RJ8812* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2012, 08:56 AM
dingbathero
No Jam? How about PB

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ8812 View Post
so leading up to the season, I'm expecting there to be a thread about every player...

Odds on the next one being......

dingbathero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2012, 09:09 AM
RJ8812*
Hellooooo ladiiiies

Quote:
Originally Posted by dingbathero View Post

Odds on the next one being......
I hopoe it's Michael Leighton

RJ8812* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2012, 09:12 AM
Krishna

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ8812 View Post
I hopoe it's Michael Leighton
See : new posted thread

Krishna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2012, 09:56 AM
Dayno66

A few years from now he is going to be a solid top paring guy. I think calling for 20-30 points right out of the gate, especially in a flyers system that demands a lot out of it's D, is a little much.

Dayno66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2012, 10:01 AM
Darkhorse1280

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brozgalov View Post
I think the Toronto market got to him. Basically he was put in a position to be the centerpiece to rebuild the franchise. For a stay-at-home type defensemen, I think that was a huge mistake. I haven't seen too much of him, but with that kind of pressure, he probably tried to do too much, where his game is typically trying to do all the little things right, "just doing his part."

I suspect there will be little pressure on him in Philly (even though we have defensive injuries). Lavvy will tell him to just play his game and he will be paired with Timonen to start the year.

Kimmo will have free reign to push into the play as needed, and Schenn will be the stay at home guy he was meant to be. All with having the confidence from playing with Timonen and learning from him as well.

I expect him to have a "monster" year, but I suspect a monster year sees him put up like 15-20 points and lead the team in hits etc.

And you think that the Philly market will be any more forgiving if he screws up out there?

Also, to the OP. Other than last season, Schenn was an absolute beast for us and was our best D-man on most nights. So I don't know where you getting this from that he wasn't good at all during his Leaf tenure?

Having said all of that, I really hope Luke works out for you guys and succeeds as a Flyer.

Darkhorse1280 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2012, 10:04 AM
Darkhorse1280

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brozgalov View Post
L. Schenn currently has 310 NHL games... at what? 22? IMO it doesn't matter how he has played, Giroux has 285 NHL games played (not including playoffs) and he is a year older. I think it's fair to say Luke still has time to improve.
This.

If Schenn improves on his foot speed for the upcoming season, then he'll definitely be one of your better D-men on most nights.

Darkhorse1280 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2012, 10:08 AM
Krishna

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkhorse1280 View Post
And you think that the Philly market will be any more forgiving if he screws up out there?

Also, to the OP. Other than last season, Schenn was an absolute beast for us and was our best D-man on most nights. So I don't know where you getting this from that he wasn't good at all during his Leaf tenure?

Having said all of that, I really hope Luke works out for you guys and succeeds as a Flyer.
There's a lot less pressure here.. We aren't expecting him to come in and shut down the league immediately.. But he needs to be a good player.

Krishna is offline   Reply With Quote