HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Marc Bergevin press conference

Old
08-14-2012, 05:35 PM
danyhabsfan

vCash: 500
Bergevin to a journalist: dequoi tu parles?

danyhabsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2012, 05:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Estimated_Prophet View Post
Gomez is obviously the x-factor in this statement, whether it is an amnesty clause, demotion etc.
Not just Gomez...but any of the 23 roster players as well.

417 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2012, 05:39 PM
poetryinmotion

Quote:
Originally Posted by danyhabsfan View Post
Bergevin to a journalist: dequoi tu parles?
His personality is hilarious, a very smart man too.

poetryinmotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2012, 05:49 PM
E = CH²

Quote:
Originally Posted by 417 View Post
Cap space can be made by making a number of moves...not just sending Gomez to siberia.

It's call being a General Manager...you know, managing your roster?

Shocking revelation isn't it?
Yes, I'm shocked. You're brilliant.

E = CH² is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2012, 05:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by E = CH² View Post
Yes, I'm shocked. You're brilliant.
if figuring out the obvious makes me so...them i'm guilty

Old
08-14-2012, 06:01 PM
DekeLikeYouMeanIt
Ohhhh you mad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bloumeister View Post

I can definitely see Bergevin in that clown outfit
Our saviour! Until he makes a stupid move. Then we'll nail him to a cross

DekeLikeYouMeanIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2012, 11:47 PM
FlyingKostitsyn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Et le But View Post
I don't see why Desharnais would sign an extension unless we are seriously overpaying him, if he has one more year like last year his value will go up significantly.
Desharnais must be pissed at Pacioretty and his agent!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DekeLikeYouMeanIt
More like stab him a hundred times on the footstep of the Bell Center. Outfit looks roman to me, Bergevin is our caesar.

Future Habs GMs will be known as ''Bergevins'', so great his fame that his name shall become a title.

FlyingKostitsyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2012, 07:34 AM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Quote:
Cap space can be made by making a number of moves...not just sending Gomez to siberia.

It's call being a General Manager...you know, managing your roster?

Shocking revelation isn't it?
Not sure what your point is. IT IS a problem if to get a guy he HAS to make room for it. It wouldn't be a problem if he just would trade or sign a guy WITHOUT having to make room. You still can be GM without having to constant juggle your lineup. Others elsewhere have been GM without having to make room. Taking decisions can be happening just by wondering if a guy is good or not for your team....if a deal makes your team better without having to send a guy for a 7th rounder to make room for it. Mind you, nobody will cry if it does happen for Gomez. But I do know that every FREAKIN time we've been forced to DEAL somebody or we HAD to make a move and other teams saw us coming from a mile.....we rarely if NEVER were the winning team......

Also.....being a GM works if you can find another GM to work with. Yes...that's also what being a GM is.....find a fish. But sometimes, you just can't do anything. Which player to make the room needed has value and would you be willing to part with? We shouldn't be willing to deal Kaberle...is soooooooooooooooo precious.....Who else? And when the answer is NOBODY....well there's so much room you can make. The only players you could get rid of and and make some significative cap space are Gomez, Bourque and Kaberle. Others are either untouchables, or not paid enough to make some significant room....or just not interesting enough. There's so much a GM can do.

Whitesnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2012, 07:50 AM
shutehinside

Quote:
Not just Gomez...but any of the 23 roster players as well.
True but no other player has a bigger cap hit and is less useful than Gomez. He's the easiest person to send down without having to justify it to anyone. I think most people think it's a foregone conclusion that Gomez will likely start the season in Montreal but the moment it's not convenient to have him or his salary on the roster, they'll ship him down to Hamilton barring a trade to a team that would take his enormous salary on.

shutehinside is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2012, 08:11 AM
Saintpatrick

Quote:
Originally Posted by DekeLikeYouMeanIt View Post
Omg dude that was so damned funny

Saintpatrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2012, 08:13 AM
Saintpatrick

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingKostitsyn View Post
Desharnais must be pissed at Pacioretty and his agent!

More like stab him a hundred times on the footstep of the Bell Center. Outfit looks roman to me, Bergevin is our caesar.

Future Habs GMs will be known as ''Bergevins'', so great his fame that his name shall become a title.
Dominus?

Old
08-15-2012, 08:13 AM
Habsterix*
@Habsterix

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy View Post
"The UFA front is pretty much complete"
What?!? No Kostitsyn??? Someone should start a manifestation in Montreal...

Habsterix* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2012, 08:15 AM
Saintpatrick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsterix View Post

Or a protest outside the Bell

Old
08-15-2012, 08:23 AM
Joey

Send a message via MSN to Joey
Quote:
Originally Posted by DekeLikeYouMeanIt View Post
very clever

Joey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2012, 09:17 AM
Jakomyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by shutehinside View Post
True but no other player has a bigger cap hit and is less useful than Gomez. He's the easiest person to send down without having to justify it to anyone. I think most people think it's a foregone conclusion that Gomez will likely start the season in Montreal but the moment it's not convenient to have him or his salary on the roster, they'll ship him down to Hamilton barring a trade to a team that would take his enormous salary on.
I think the idea is that posters don't have to complain about the 'cap' preventing us from signing/trading for players that they may want because, as Bergevin says, regardless of our current cap space, if a situation arose where they could acquire a player (i.e. Doan) to improve the team, they could find a way to make the space. Whether this is by moving Gomez or someone else is up to Bergevin.

I think this is 417's point about not worrying so much about the cap, as plenty scream about how Gomez's cap hit prevents us from obtaining other players, which is simply not true.

Jakomyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2012, 09:25 AM
Andy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsterix View Post

Exactly, instead we're stuck with the incredible and sensational Francis Boullion because what Montreal needed was another bottom pairing d-man since we didn't have enough of those already.

Andy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2012, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
Not sure what your point is. IT IS a problem if to get a guy he HAS to make room for it. It wouldn't be a problem if he just would trade or sign a guy WITHOUT having to make room. You still can be GM without having to constant juggle your lineup. Others elsewhere have been GM without having to make room. Taking decisions can be happening just by wondering if a guy is good or not for your team....if a deal makes your team better without having to send a guy for a 7th rounder to make room for it. Mind you, nobody will cry if it does happen for Gomez. But I do know that every FREAKIN time we've been forced to DEAL somebody or we HAD to make a move and other teams saw us coming from a mile.....we rarely if NEVER were the winning team......

Also.....being a GM works if you can find another GM to work with. Yes...that's also what being a GM is.....find a fish. But sometimes, you just can't do anything. Which player to make the room needed has value and would you be willing to part with? We shouldn't be willing to deal Kaberle...is soooooooooooooooo precious.....Who else? And when the answer is NOBODY....well there's so much room you can make. The only players you could get rid of and and make some significative cap space are Gomez, Bourque and Kaberle. Others are either untouchables, or not paid enough to make some significant room....or just not interesting enough. There's so much a GM can do.
Why is it a problem? A challenge? sure...but again, that's part of being a General Manager. It's about making decisions that affect your roster.

I don't understand why, what I said was so controversial...Bergevin HIMSELF said that it is not a problem to create room under the cap if they want to target a specific player...and that holds true for all other 29 NHL teams. There are countless examples of GM's doing just that...

Yet fans want to keep pulling their hair out trying to figure out how their favorite team is going to manage their salary cap. I just don't understand how come the people in charge of managing the salary cap, don't seem overly concerned with salaries...yet fans/media spend their days scouring through capgeek.com

It makes no sense.

Furthermore, Gomez, Kaberle and Bourque are not the only players who can be moved to create cap space...

Why couldn't the Habs move Plekanec? Or Gionta? Or Markov? Or Cole? Or Gorges...

Why do fans think that only the undesirables are the one's that have to be moved? Wouldn't you agree that, if you need to create cap space, moving players with trade value would be the best way to go about things?

Is that not what the Flyers did last year when they moved Carter/Richards? Roster players are moving parts, it's like fitting pieces of a puzzle together....some GM's are better at it then others.

Old
08-15-2012, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakomyte View Post
I think the idea is that posters don't have to complain about the 'cap' preventing us from signing/trading for players that they may want because, as Bergevin says, regardless of our current cap space, if a situation arose where they could acquire a player (i.e. Doan) to improve the team, they could find a way to make the space. Whether this is by moving Gomez or someone else is up to Bergevin.I think this is 417's point about not worrying so much about the cap, as plenty scream about how Gomez's cap hit prevents us from obtaining other players, which is simply not true.
Precisely...and this isn't just me saying this. It's coming from the mouth of our own GM. I'm just taking HIS cue.

Old
08-15-2012, 10:32 AM
DAChampion

Quote:
Why couldn't the Habs move Plekanec? Or Gionta? Or Markov? Or Cole? Or Gorges...
Because then you are decreasing the quality of the team.

You can of course move Plekanec, but it is much harder to find an upgrade over Plekanec than to find an upgrade over Bourque.

Plekanec is underpaid relative to his contributions. If you move Plekanec to create cap space, you have to find an even more underpaid player.

DAChampion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2012, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAChampion View Post
Because then you are decreasing the quality of the team.

You can of course move Plekanec, but it is much harder to find an upgrade over Plekanec than to find an upgrade over Bourque.

Plekanec is underpaid relative to his contributions. If you move Plekanec to create cap space, you have to find an even more underpaid player.
Are you serious?

This team finished 15th in the conference...you realize that's last right? They were the 3rd worst team in the NHL last year.

This is a team that's been turning around in circles for almost 20 years, they finally reached near-rock-bottom last year. And you're worried about decreasing the quality of the team?

It might be more difficult to find an upgrade to Plekanec (which I don't even think is necessary mind you) over Bourque.

But it will surely be more difficult to trade Bourque, then it will be Plekanec...

I find it funny when fans want the GM to improve the team by getting rid of its least desirable players...it makes no sense.

Old
08-15-2012, 11:20 AM
Corncob

Quote:

I find it funny when fans want the GM to improve the team by getting rid of its least desirable players...it makes no sense.
Err, that makes perfect sense

Corncob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2012, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habtacular View Post
Err, that makes perfect sense
Yes...because teams are lining up to give you valuable assets in return for all your scraps.

of course it does...everything in life works as it does on your PS3 NHL 12

Old
08-15-2012, 07:23 PM
Habsterix*
@Habsterix

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy View Post
Exactly, instead we're stuck with the incredible and sensational Francis Boullion because what Montreal needed was another bottom pairing d-man since we didn't have enough of those already.
I guess with that logic, Bergevin should have signed Kostitsyn to play defense...

Habsterix* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2012, 08:35 PM
thom

Will the Quebec election effect the possible free agency players coming to Quebec.?The separtist party is leading in polls.

thom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2012, 09:09 PM
THE HOFF

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post

great points, but I think there's more to the problem. I don't think the habs/bergevin want to send a guy like gomez in the minors. When you cross that line as an organization (we did not give him the contract ... but we still traded for him) you open a door that will likely prevent players -namely overpaid UFA's - to sign for you. I might be wrong, but if I was GM, id try to preserve an image of montreal that if you sign here, we won't throw you around and honor ''ridiculous contracts'' ala kovalchuk/parise/suter ect .. .

On another note, if keeping Gomez means we are not giving Doan a 4 years/30m deal ... it makes sense from an owner POV to try Gomez out in a new environment before sending him down or buy him out.

new coach, new management, new role , ect ... Gomez always had PP inflated numbers. Playing with markov and an older Subban at the point could help him have a decent year ... or just play him as 3rd line center at ES ... with no PP ... He's not worth his salary, but there is still good hockey left in him. kinda like good in darth vader, never know. His value is so low, let him start the season - we even might be able to move him if we need to - .

Last edited by THE HOFF: 08-15-2012 at 09:15 PM.
THE HOFF is offline   Reply With Quote