HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Notices

OT: Bolt "I'm a legend. I知 also the greatest athlete to live"

Old
08-13-2012, 12:38 PM
Jason Lewis
Hockey's Future Staff

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by KopitarFAN View Post
I'm not just pulling that out of thin-air, it's all true (regarding his countrymen). Not to mention that PEDs run rampant in track & field worldwide.

And I like Bolt
I'm sure they wouldn't have waiting this long for him to dominate Track and Field to go ahead and test him thoroughly.

And you know that the IOC tests athletes IMMEDIATELY following competition right?

Don't be French, and don't make Bolt a Lance Armstrong.

Jason Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2012, 01:37 PM
tigermask48
Maniacal Laugh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaygokings View Post
I'm sure they wouldn't have waiting this long for him to dominate Track and Field to go ahead and test him thoroughly.

And you know that the IOC tests athletes IMMEDIATELY following competition right?

Don't be French, and don't make Bolt a Lance Armstrong.
He's just pointing out things that are true. Carl Lewis, who people are bringing up as the counterpoint to Bolt's comment has had a positive test. Just because you aren't testing positive doesn't mean you aren't using and that's what he was saying.

Heck Nick Diaz (MMA fighter) openly smokes marijuana and has only tested positive twice after fights. He's just smart enough to know when they test and how long it takes to get it out of his system. He's still a damn good fighter and an absolute freak when it comes to cardio.

Question for you. Does the fact that Lance Armstrong only tested positive very late in his career (2009) really negate what he did throughout his career, especially when he was testing negative and won the Tour 7 times in a row?

Doping in sports like this are almost more the norm rather than exception, that's pretty much a well accepted thing. I mean it's a very, very fine line... You can increase the RBC count in your body numerous different ways, sleep in a hyperbaric chamber, train at high altitudes (like the Olympic Training Center in Colorado,) or use injections. Only one of these things is illegal... A very fine line.

Last edited by tigermask48: 08-13-2012 at 01:53 PM.
tigermask48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2012, 01:54 PM
Jason Lewis
Hockey's Future Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigermask48 View Post
He's just pointing out things that are true. Carl Lewis, who people are bringing up as the counterpoint to Bolt's comment has had a positive test. Just because you aren't testing positive doesn't mean you aren't using and that's what he was saying.

Heck Nick Diaz (MMA fighter) openly smokes marijuana and has only tested positive twice after fights. He's just smart enough to know when they test and how long it takes to get it out of his system. He's still a damn good fighter and an absolute freak when it comes to cardio.

Question for you. Does the fact that Lance Armstrong only tested positive very late in his career (2009) really negate what he did throughout his career, especially when he was testing negative and won the Tour 7 times in a row?

Doping in sports like this are almost more the norm rather than exception, that's pretty much a well accepted thing. I mean it's a very, very fine line... You can increase the RBC count in you body numerous different ways, sleep in a hyperbaric chamber, train at high altitudes (like the Olympic Training Center in Colorado,) or use injections. Only one of these things is illegal... A very fine line.
To my knowledge Lance Armstrong never tested positive for anything.....

he had trace amounts of Corticosteroid in his system (not in the positive range) in 1999 which was attributed to a cream he used for saddle sores he had.

So I don't know what you are referring to when you say he tested positive late in his career in 2009. Fill me in?

Jason Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2012, 02:11 PM
triplcrown

Talking about great athletes...

Just suppose...

What if Mike Trout played hockey instead of baseball?

We'd probably be talking Syd Crosby level player.

Trout has ungodly talent, and super-smarts & focus too.

triplcrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2012, 02:56 PM
tigermask48
Maniacal Laugh

Quote:
To my knowledge Lance Armstrong never tested positive for anything.....

he had trace amounts of Corticosteroid in his system (not in the positive range) in 1999 which was attributed to a cream he used for saddle sores he had.

So I don't know what you are referring to when you say he tested positive late in his career in 2009. Fill me in?
My fault you are correct he never tested positive for anything. I was referencing the 2009 allegations of doping (EPO found in blood samples from 2009 and 2010) and the case ending in being thrown out and got him and Floyd Landis confused since he got stripped officially in 2010 I think... I seem to do that since pretty much the only cycling I follow is the Tour de France... My bad.

Armstrong has never tested positive other than the incident you mentioned but there has been a fair amount of evidence that has surfaced pointing towards him potentially using something.

Sorry for the the mix up though, my bad on that.

Old
08-13-2012, 05:57 PM
Lead Role in a Cage

Bolt is a brand. Of course he is selling himself and his accomplishments.

Personally, his sport is too boring to care about but that fits well with the Olympics as far as I'm concerned.

As for the Armstrong doubters, everyone and all in the sport and the tour knows that he is a dope-case, just as most of the "winners" and their "teams" are.

For me, his case is the most comedic one as it was always the most obvious one. I don't take doping cases very seriously. This is the reality of sports. I usually find ways to laugh at the most obvious cases. Armstrong the front runner of comedy since coming back from his cancer.

Lead Role in a Cage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2012, 06:01 PM
Pucknut50

Quote:
Originally Posted by triplcrown View Post
Just suppose...

Well fast balls up and off speed pitches away is getting him out. Teams will figure you out and now its Trout's turn to make the adjustment. He has such a quick bat fast balls below the belt and breaking balls he just smashes. Also he has a really good eye so he is giving up on the 2 seam fastball away which comes back to catch the corner(pitchers using this when he has 2 strikes)

Pucknut50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2012, 06:33 PM
Vamos Rafa
。Vamos!

Quote:
Just suppose...

Trout has the chance to be the first white player to win the stolen base title in the AL by himself since Freddie Patek won it in 1977.

Vamos Rafa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2012, 06:50 PM
Leo W

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by RonSwanson View Post
Attention for the wrong reasons.
Breaking World Records and being the fastest man in history is attention for the wrong reason?

Leo W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2012, 07:57 PM
kingsfan
#SutterforanOscar

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnjm22 View Post
Muhammad Ali used to make similarly boisterous comments and no ever seemed to hold it against him.
Not now no. Roll the clock back 40-50 years and see what was said. He wasn't very popular for his comments and I'm the greatest attitude back in his day, same as Bolt isn't now.

As for this thread, pretty sad to see it go the way it has. I don't agree with Bolt's comments, but who cares. Let him say what he wants. He's a big ego and a brand, and he has to feed both, so let him say what he wants.

That said, IMO, no, he's not the greatest athlete ever. He MAY be the greatest sprinter ever, and if so great for him, but that by default doesn't make him the greatest athlete. Others have pointed out guys like Phelps, Greatky, etc. They are the best of their sports as well. Some could point to a guy like Cy Young as well in baseball, Wilt Chamberlain in basketball, and the list goes on and on. What makes one sport so much better than the next really? In many cases, nothing, they are unique and difficult in their own ways.

Where you should look if you want to see who was the best all-time athlete is guys who performed at elite levels in more than one sport. Jim Thorpe was one someone else said, but really you can go with anyone who did well in multiple sports and they should be worthy of consideration. Even guys like Bo Jackson and Deion Sanders, both were (IIRC) all-stars in two professional sports.

There are also several examples of athletes who have won medals in both Summer and Winter Olympics. Cosidering how difficult it is to win a medal in one sport (being considered one of the top three athletes in the world in the process) to win medals in two or more different sports is incredible. When Bolt wins the bobsled or speed skating or something else, then we can talk about him as one of the greatest athletes ever.

kingsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2012, 02:49 AM
RonSwanson*
Gadfly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richie10 View Post
Always love the bristled, indignant reaction from (predominately white) HFBoards when an athlete of color succeeds and brags about it.
Why do you have to turn this into a racial thing?

If Bolt was a white guy, I'd still hate it.

If he was an American, regardless of color, I'd be embarrassed.

RonSwanson* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2012, 02:55 AM
RonSwanson*
Gadfly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leonard Washington View Post
Breaking World Records and being the fastest man in history is attention for the wrong reason?
Remind me why this thread was created. Not to talk about his sprinting.

Old
08-14-2012, 02:55 AM
RonSwanson*
Gadfly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grillinnap View Post
Trout has the chance to be the first white player to win the stolen base title in the AL by himself since Freddie Patek won it in 1977.
Why did you bold "by himself". Have other white players done it in the past riding a teammate to 2nd base?

Old
08-14-2012, 03:03 AM
butteryslugz
L.A. Kings Fan

Quote:
Why did you bold "by himself". Have other white players done it in the past riding a teammate to 2nd base?

butteryslugz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2012, 07:25 AM
tigermask48
Maniacal Laugh

Quote:
Why do you have to turn this into a racial thing?

If Bolt was a white guy, I'd still hate it.

If he was an American, regardless of color, I'd be embarrassed.
This, people suddenly make it seem like Bolt's comments have something to do with race, and seem to forget how people would jump all over Sean Avery pretty much everytime he spoke to the media. The comment by Bolt was dumb, but it's nothing more than him selling himself and drawing more attention to him... Mission accomplished.

On a lighter note, anyone else remember the "All-Star Challenge" I think it was called that used to be on TV? Took players from a bunch of the major sports and had them compete in a bunch of events to see who the best athlete was. Show was just stupid but yeah, why can't they bring that back instead of really dumb stuff like American Gladiators...

Old
08-14-2012, 11:20 AM
Vamos Rafa
。Vamos!

Quote:
Notsureifsrs. I figured I had to just in case someone would respond with "Brett Gardner and Brian Roberts." But those two shared the SB title with a non-white player respectively.

Vamos Rafa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2012, 11:27 AM
Tonellisghost
Baby Face Killer!

[QUOTE=Tadite;53504789]He's the fastest human to have existed.

Sounds all time to me regardless of all the weird discipline stuff you keep throwing out.

Is he the fastest human? I am not so certain. I mean he is clearly the fastest human to have competed in the Olympics at his discipline his chosen field his area of competition the events that he competes in but is the fastest guy to ever run a mile? Is he the fastest guy to ever run in other areas of competition is my point and remains a valid one.

He calls himself a legend because he is.

Cassius Clay (and Carl Lewis et el) did the very same thing, was, and is so beloved that though he's shockingly physically disabled a country not of his birth had him a the opening ceremony to touch the Olympic flag and made a point to focus on him. You have heard of Muhammad Ali... haven't you?

We weren't talking about Cassius Clay so I don't know why you would introduce him into the conversation without knowing my position on him or what he has said regarding his talent or with either of us knowing if he still felt the same way today. Our only topic is what Bolt said and while Ali is a fair comparison as to athletes who have proclaimed themselves to be "the greatest of all time" at their chosen fields of competition without knowing my stance on M.A.'s comments your point doesn't really have anything to do with what we are discussing in my opinion.

Bolt is the only person in his generation that has a chance to be that and you simply do not understand how famous he is. He isn't some minor little athlete in an unknown sport. He's one of the most reconisable people on the planet. Hell, just in the 100m more people watched him then know of the existence of hockey. Most estimates are in the Billions....

You make a solid point in saying that I simply don't understand how famous he is. As I have said, I don't follow track and or field at all so my opinion is only based on his ridiculous and outlandish comment regarding his own greatness and has nothing to do with how popular he is has become or might eventually end up being.

Never really said all that. Most of the time he talks about all the others. Just after breaking a WR he's all excited. He isn't as produced/managed as Phelps.

Um..... That sounds like speculation but fair enough I guess.

I think that's your mistake. You're to use'd to the standard cliched speeches. Lots of god, family, and coaches. That's just cliche. It's not real. Bolts a guy with actual personality.

Wow, that is a completely ridiculous assumption on your part. You have no way of knowing what I am used to hearing athletes say during interviews nor do you know how I think/feel about any of the comments that I have heard during my lifetime regarding them.

Yea... So wheres the outrage when Phelps called himself the greatest Olympian of all time? Something that's blatantly stupid.

GIve me a quote of him saying that or a link where I can watch him say that and I will respond but my gut instinct would be to say that he at least has won more medals than any other Olympic athlete than any other Olympic athlete in history. I would think he at least can point to his overall record and as a reason for saying what he did and while I would also think if he made that statement in the same context that Bolt did that Phelps was a bit of a tool as well.

He's the fastest human to exist. Ever. As in all of human existence. As in since we evolved. You don't really need to know anything more then that.

See my above counter point for greater detail but again, Bolt isn't the fastest human to ever exist, we have no way of actually knowing that nor is he the fastest human to have ever existed in every area of competitive running as he doesn't compete in every area of competitive running.

What you need to know is that Bolt is only the fastest human to have ever been recorded since we started recording these sorts of competition (to the best of my knowledge) and that he is also only the "greatest athlete of all time" in the events in which he has competed and not the entire world of track and field let alone of all time.

Tonellisghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2012, 11:34 AM
mitchrock

Bolt could never be more wrong. The greatest athlete to live is Terry Forster by far. Cannot top the Dodger Great/Food Connoisser.

mitchrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2012, 11:34 AM
Tonellisghost
Baby Face Killer!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richie10 View Post
Always love the bristled, indignant reaction from (predominately white) HFBoards when an athlete of color succeeds and brags about it.
That seems like a pretty racist thing to say. I mean you really don't have any way of knowing the ethnicity of any of the posters here outside the one's might have met. Not everyone who posts here is white and since you haven't any way of knowing their ethnicity you are making a pretty big assumption and lumping everyones opinion that isn't in line with what you think about this subject as being indignant and racist.

Old
08-14-2012, 11:40 AM
Tonellisghost
Baby Face Killer!

Quote:
Yea I mean wtf he also does charity work

http://usainbolt.com/foundation/

In Los Angeles

http://www.looktothestars.org/news/7...ds-for-charity

He even received an award from the United Way for his work in Jamaica

http://usainbolt.com/foundations/bol...d-way-jamaica/

But he said he was the greatest athlete to live. God damnit what a horrible douchey human being. I hate him now.

That is a very bizarre statement to make. I don't know Bolt but he seems like a funny guy. This thread is only discussing what he had said and I haven't seen anyone call him anything except for you in your post above that spoke of him not being a good person.

I mean the guy is allowed to make whatever comments he wants to make and we are all allowed to respond to what he has said in however we feel appropriate so long is we remain inside the rules of this website.

I like the response that said he is good for track and field. I would never even know he existed or consider track and field at all of he hadn't said what he did. The guy may be a marketing genius.

Old
08-14-2012, 11:20 PM
kingsfan28
Its All About Sv Pct

Quote:
Just suppose...

From the batters box to 1st, Trout would beat Bolt going away.

kingsfan28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2012, 11:48 AM
Buddy The Elf
Kings!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonellisghost View Post
That seems like a pretty racist thing to say. I mean you really don't have any way of knowing the ethnicity of any of the posters here outside the one's might have met. Not everyone who posts here is white and since you haven't any way of knowing their ethnicity you are making a pretty big assumption and lumping everyones opinion that isn't in line with what you think about this subject as being indignant and racist.
Well, it is obvious Bolt is running faster than white people because of that extra bone in his ankle.

Buddy The Elf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2012, 12:09 PM
Tonellisghost
Baby Face Killer!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buddy The Elf View Post
Well, it is obvious Bolt is running faster than white people because of that extra bone in his ankle.
He has an extra bone in his ankle that gives him an advantage over his fellow athletes? Who knew about this and how in the world would an extra bone help him run faster? Sounds fishy to me.

Old
08-15-2012, 12:39 PM
Buddy The Elf
Kings!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonellisghost View Post
He has an extra bone in his ankle that gives him an advantage over his fellow athletes? Who knew about this and how in the world would an extra bone help him run faster? Sounds fishy to me.
True story, just ask Jimmy the Greek.

Buddy The Elf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2012, 01:55 PM
Dawdler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buddy The Elf View Post
True story, just ask Jimmy the Greek.
or Al Campanis

Dawdler is offline   Reply With Quote