HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Andrej Sekera to Ottawa

Old
08-13-2012, 04:32 PM
gallagt01

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptPantalones View Post
Well, supposedly buffalo offered Sekera for foligno at the draft and Ottawa turned it down..
According to who?

gallagt01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2012, 05:28 PM
Lukus

Quote:
Originally Posted by bullseyed View Post
Three points vs France though. I don't think I've ever heard of a France-French hockey player. Lots of Cananda-French, but not from France. I guess Huet is the only one.
I sure hope you're not a Sens fan because it would be embarassing to have overlooked Stéphane Da Costa. Yep, he was born in France.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin8se7en View Post
Karlsson - Methot
Gonchar - Cowen

I don't see the problem...
Methot replaces Kuba. Cowen gets better.

No need for a top 4 Dman if we have to give up anything of value for it. With Ceci a year or two away, we are fine
I highlighted the problem for you. Sekera would be a massive upgrade to Gonchar. If we could then flip Gonchar for a 2nd or 3rd afterwards I'd be more than happy with that. If all it takes is Smith and Puempel to get it done, Murray unloads in his pants after giving his approval.

If Ceci meets expectations, he still has 2 yrs before he's NHL ready and then give him another 2 yrs before he bumps Methot who by that time will be in his 30s. Sounds like a good long term plan to me.

Lukus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2012, 05:51 PM
jbeck5

Oooo
Quote:
Hmm. Making it three syllables is interesting.

Boston and New Jersey accents are kind of similar... New Jersey accent is more like NYC accent though.

"Still, many pronunciation features are shared with the New York City dialect: for example, the pronunciation of /ɔː/, the vowel in words like coffee, dog, and talk is raised and tensed to [o] or even higher in New Jersey and New York alike."

Notable speakers with North Jersey accents
Danny DeVito
The Sopranos cast
Bruce Springsteen
Bruce Willis

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_Jer...glish_dialects

As you said, the spelling doesn't change if it is pronounced differently, but the sound-it-out method of spelling will yield different results. For example:

lor-REN versus LAUR-ren. If you move the emphasis, the inflection changes and the perceived spelling changes. first is an Italian spelling, the second an English spelling. /shrug

Massively off topic, I suppose.
what big hockey fan uses the sound-it-out method to spell nhl cities, and how old are they?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lukus View Post
I sure hope you're not a Sens fan because it would be embarassing to have overlooked Stéphane Da Costa. Yep, he was born in France.

I highlighted the problem for you. Sekera would be a massive upgrade to Gonchar. If we could then flip Gonchar for a 2nd or 3rd afterwards I'd be more than happy with that. If all it takes is Smith and Puempel to get it done, Murray unloads in his pants after giving his approval.

If Ceci meets expectations, he still has 2 yrs before he's NHL ready and then give him another 2 yrs before he bumps Methot who by that time will be in his 30s. Sounds like a good long term plan to me.
So who would be ottawas second offensive d behind karlsson? You cant move goncheese, hes needed too much. All other dmen on our team have crap offense.

jbeck5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2012, 06:11 PM
brochenski
@brochenski

I think Sens fan don't realize how bad our defense is. The Sens gave up the 2nd most shots last season and the 7th most goals. Methot isn't a top pairing defenceman and I really doubt Gonchar will be good enough to be considered a 2nd pair defenceman next year when he's 38. Sekeraj last season played against top lines and posted great possession numbers, which is, ya know, important for a puck possession team.

brochenski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2012, 06:18 PM
CaptPantalones

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loods View Post
According to who?
Ive seen it reported in a few different places, most notable Paul Hamilton mentioned it as something that was being talked about at the draft

CaptPantalones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2012, 07:00 PM
Qward
Because! That's why!

vCash: 265
Quote:
Originally Posted by brochenski View Post
I think Sens fan don't realize how bad our defense is. The Sens gave up the 2nd most shots last season and the 7th most goals. Methot isn't a top pairing defenceman and I really doubt Gonchar will be good enough to be considered a 2nd pair defenceman next year when he's 38. Sekeraj last season played against top lines and posted great possession numbers, which is, ya know, important for a puck possession team.
We traded for a shot blocking defensive defenseman that is speedy.
I like Methot.

If Cap floor goes down, then trade Gonchar to Philly and then trade for Sekara.

Methot/Karlsson
Cowen/Sekara

More sound top 4

Qward is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2012, 07:03 PM
tsujimoto74

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptPantalones View Post
Ive seen it reported in a few different places, most notable Paul Hamilton mentioned it as something that was being talked about at the draft
So it definitely didn't happen then.

tsujimoto74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2012, 07:16 PM
Qward
Because! That's why!

Is it possible that Buffalo asked for Foligno? Yes.
Is it possible Murray said no because he had an offer on the table for Nash? Yes.
Is this the case? We may never know.

Old
08-13-2012, 07:28 PM
jbeck5

Quote:
Originally Posted by brochenski View Post
I agree...but i also think sens fans don't realize how much having the league's best offensive D-corps helped propel the sens into the playoffs.

We already got rid of kuba as our third most offensive guy...trading gonchar without getting an offensive guy back would mean we lost our 2nd and 3rd most offensive guys...funny is gilroy would be 4th haha.

So without gonchar, this would be our D-corps totals last year heading into this year.

Karlsson - 78 points
phillips - 19 points
cowen - 17 points
Methot - 7 points
Lundin - 2 points
Borowiecki - 0 points

Normally people put too much emphasis on Offense and completely forget about Defense...however i think the opposite is happening right now.

If we get rid of gonchar, we need to be getting another 0.5ppg Dman back or else we'll be back to the days when we had jason smith and luke richardson and couldn't make a breakout pass to save our lives so we had to use alex picard and brendan bell so much.

We can't have karlsson as our only capable 20+ point defenseman. I know we all expect cowen to get a handful more of points, but that's not enough.

Losing Kuba's 32 points in 72 games, and gonchar's 37 points in 74 games would be too drastic.

When gonchar signed here i figured they would replace him with a younger Offensive D UFA unless wiercioch can develop into an offensive nhl dman. Doesn't look like that's happening. Id bet next summer murray goes after a pp qb to replace gonchar.

As good as sekera is, he doesn't really help much on the offensive side of things. He's not a black hole offensively, but he's not a catalyst either. He's a 20-30 point guy who's mobile, and can play top notch defense.

Sekera is a huge boost Defensively over Gonchar.

Gonchar is a huge boost offensively over sekera.

I would love to add sekera, but not by losing gonchar. It's just trading one hole for another...and with Cowen,Methot,lundin,phillips, borowiecki all being D-first guys...we would have a huge hole for offensive guys with karlsson being the only guy capable of running a powerplay.Ideally i would have 3 O guys with 3 D guys...or atleast kuba type 2-way guys...But i can't stand having more then 1 pairing with 2 defensive guys. You can never get out of the zone and its boring hockey.

Old
08-13-2012, 11:34 PM
BonkTastic
"Small Sample Size!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by trentmccleary View Post
I don't even see a need for Sekera this season at all, let alone a reason for all of these proposals from our side begging for D-men.

On the left side; Phillips, Methot and Cowen will jockey for roles... probably with very little separating them next year.

On the right side; Karlsson will lead, Gonchar can easily handle his role on the 2nd pairing and I'm sure that Lundin or whoever can fill a bottom pairing role.

Where's the fire?
I couldn't agree more.

BonkTastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2012, 09:21 AM
Marvelous Manked
Ooh to be a Gooner

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by BonkTastic View Post
I couldn't agree more.
Yeah, I don't want to improve our team either.

Sekera is such an obvious upgrade on Lundin.

Marvelous Manked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2012, 09:39 AM
bullseyed

Quote:
I'm not a Sens fan and I've never heard of that player.

bullseyed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2012, 04:54 PM
trentmccleary

Quote:
Sekera would be a massive upgrade to Gonchar.
No he wouldn't... not in our defense corps. We already have 4 Sekera's and adding more doesn't make us much better.

He wouldn't even be competing with Gonchar, because we desperately need Gonchar to fill every minute of offensive ice time behind Karlsson.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manked View Post
Yeah, I don't want to improve our team either.

Sekera is such an obvious upgrade on Lundin.
You only gain small margins by improving upon #6 D-men. It wouldn't be worth the cost, especially not for a player we're going to have too many starting next summer (if we don't already).

trentmccleary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2012, 06:31 PM
Qward
Because! That's why!

Quote:

Highly sought after collage free agent. It was reported upwards of 20 teams had spoken with him.

Quote:
You only gain small margins by improving upon #6 D-men. It wouldn't be worth the cost, especially not for a player we're going to have too many starting next summer (if we don't already).

We had the 10th worse PK last season.
Methot will improve it.
Sekera would even more so.

We could have a true 2 unit pk.

Lundin could still be the 7th D.

Old
08-14-2012, 06:35 PM
White Goodman
smell that fitness?

vCash: 50
Sekera's a beaut.

White Goodman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2012, 07:27 PM
MAK19
FreeWierciochBanAndy

Quote:
No he wouldn't... not in our defense corps. We already have 4 Sekera's and adding more doesn't make us much better.

He wouldn't even be competing with Gonchar, because we desperately need Gonchar to fill every minute of offensive ice time behind Karlsson.

The fact that you think Sekera is a #6 proves you know nothing about him. He is better than Gonchar right now, much better. He would easily be the Sens' #2 and is an ideal #3.

If he adds the offensive dimension he showed at the Worlds to his NHL game, he's a legit top pair.

MAK19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2012, 08:22 PM
sabres_phan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imlach a cup View Post
So you understand how little I'd want to trade Sekera to Ottawa then.
This

sabres_phan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2012, 08:36 PM
trentmccleary

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qward View Post
We had the 10th worse PK last season.
Methot will improve it.
Sekera would even more so.

We could have a true 2 unit pk.

Lundin could still be the 7th D.
We'll already be carrying Phillips, Cowen, Methot, Lundin and more than likely Borowiecki in our top-7. That's not a lot of offensive talent and this whole line of thought looks like we'd moving back to that disastrously 1-dimensional defense corps of 08-09.

For now, I'd like to see what kind of internal improvements we could see from the system, Cowen + young forwards and whether Methot will be an improvement on Kuba. Don't forget that the team gave up a tonne of goals early in the season, particularly the first 6 games. Not to mention whatever other bugs that still need to be worked on.... Like not allowing opponents to be wide open in the slot.

trentmccleary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2012, 09:21 PM
brochenski
@brochenski

Sekera would be an upgrade over every defenceman on the team other than Karlsson. He shoots left, meaning he could play with the Norris trophy winner.

Quote:
Decent prospect I guess. I think his potential is an average 2nd line center. Anyways this is the only memory I have of him during his time at the beginning of the year (other than getting demolished by Phaneuf)

http://video.nhl.com/videocenter/con...1&event=OTT741

brochenski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2012, 11:39 PM
LotteryForLife*

This player might be the most overrated by his own fans in the entire sport. This guy is an average defenseman on a poor defensive hockey club. Buyer beware

LotteryForLife* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2012, 11:54 PM
Qward
Because! That's why!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LotteryForLife View Post
This player might be the most overrated by his own fans in the entire sport. This guy is an average defenseman on a poor defensive hockey club. Buyer beware
Buffalo was plagued by injuries this year. Every other year they are very sound defensively.

Old
08-15-2012, 12:35 PM
jbeck5

Quote:
Then you're not a big hockey fan. Big hockey fans have heard of the big name college FA signings...you know, the ones every team interviews and wants, but only one team can get.

This happens every year...teams want to add prospects for free. Da Costa was on the top of the list.

If you haven't heard of him, it says more about your NHL knowledge then it does about Da Costa. I know others teams prospects because i'm a big hockey fan, even though my team didn't try to get that said prospect.

Old
08-15-2012, 02:19 PM
Viqsi
carrying the flag

Send a message via AIM to Viqsi
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbeck5 View Post
Then you're not a big hockey fan. Big hockey fans have heard of the big name college FA signings...you know, the ones every team interviews and wants, but only one team can get.

This happens every year...teams want to add prospects for free. Da Costa was on the top of the list.

If you haven't heard of him, it says more about your NHL knowledge then it does about Da Costa. I know others teams prospects because i'm a big hockey fan, even though my team didn't try to get that said prospect.
Enh. It's possible to overlook folks now and again.

Thanks, Howson, for cleaning up MacLean's toxic waste. Welcome, Kekalainen; let's get good things built!
Viqsi is offline   Reply With Quote