HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Ice Baths

Old
08-13-2012, 08:59 AM
Stickchecked

vCash: 500
Ice Baths

Anyone do these? I've have a nagging groin issue stretching back almost 2 years. It gets aggravated with cycling and weeding. (Go figure.) Even though I do exercises to strengthen my groin and surrounding muscles, every now and then I start to get achiness/pain. I usually do NOT feel it during hockey, it would be after. (And it's not after every game, maybe once a month it pops up.)

I'm starting to think that it's less a muscle injury and more tendonitis. That would explain why an easy hour on the bike seems to aggravate it. And it's all around my pelvic region so icing (which I do) can be awkward.

So now I'm thinking of taking the icy plunge. Obviously it will be easier once winter hits and I can just grab a bucket of snow from outside but for now I might try it as best I can.

Has anyone tried treating similar pains with ice baths?

Stickchecked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2012, 09:03 AM
Geo73

Have you seen a doctor or physiotherapist about this? Tendinitis is best treated with rest and anti-inflammatories, an ice pack over the area will certainly help reduce the swelling of the tendon, Ice baths used with hot baths are used for removing lactic acid from muscles after exercise primarily, and not as a specific form of treatment.

Geo73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2012, 09:11 AM
Stickchecked

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geo73 View Post
Have you seen a doctor or physiotherapist about this? Tendinitis is best treated with rest and anti-inflammatories, an ice pack over the area will certainly help reduce the swelling of the tendon, Ice baths used with hot baths are used for removing lactic acid from muscles after exercise primarily, and not as a specific form of treatment.
Yea, I've seen three PTs about it. 2 were useless, the third was helpful and basically diagnosed it as a groin injruy/scar tissue buildup.

It's not a chronic issue, it's just something that pops up every now and then. I've been able to manage it with selective rest, icing and ibuprofin and then will go weeks without an issue. Just sometimes a particular set of activities will aggravate it.

Oh, the number one aggravator of it is carrying my 2 year old for a prolonged period of time, which I did on Saturday.

Old
08-13-2012, 05:11 PM
Geo73

Ice treatment and ibuprofen is ideal for tendinitis, deep-tissue massage will help scar tissue buildup. If you can get Movelat from a pharmacist it is also an excellent anti-inflammatory also. I've got tendinitis in my wrist that flares up occasionally too, and this is how I usually treat it successfully. Hope you get sorted out soon buddy.

Old
08-13-2012, 08:25 PM
rayuelo
Have Wheeling Probs

As someone else has mentioned, ice baths are great for helping to flush out lactic acid.

I cycle and run, and use the technique often.

Besides seeing a good PT (there are more mediocre ones in my experience than good ones unfortunately), learn about trigger point therapy, fascia release, and mobility therapy. These are all things that you can do on your own with minimal equipment.

I've been able to treat all types of muscle, and tendon/ligament injury and pain this way.

Of all of these the mobility work is king ... it will ultimately set you up so you end up with less injuries. There is a lot to learn, but start with this ... www.mobilitywod.com

Good luck.

rayuelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2012, 08:45 PM
Propane Nightmares
TIA bro

I've ****ed (for lack of a better term) my groin several times and never had problems with running or cycling. I have however had hip flexor problems which bother me after periods of skating and cycling, are you sure its not that?

Propane Nightmares is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2012, 08:36 AM
Stickchecked

Quote:
Originally Posted by 99 Problems View Post
I've ****ed (for lack of a better term) my groin several times and never had problems with running or cycling. I have however had hip flexor problems which bother me after periods of skating and cycling, are you sure its not that?
Definitely not the hip flexor. I've noticed lately that I have really tight hamstrings too, so I think there's multiple issues at work here that result in some mild pain right at the pelvic joints.

I work out daily and am trying to balance strength issues, work on my flexibility, etc. Just every now and then a couple activities together bring out the pain for a few days. Carrying my kid for extended periods of time really does it.

Still plan on trying ice baths, just one more tool to support this aging body.

Old
08-14-2012, 09:48 AM
esidebill

I don't take cold baths, but I take cold showers. They certainly make me less sore.

esidebill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2012, 02:36 PM
IslesZoso

Not to get too off-topic, but what would be the benefits of a hot bath versus an ice bath? I went into a steaming hot bathtub once with a slight groin pull, and by the time I stepped out of the bath, all the soreness was practically gone.

IslesZoso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2012, 03:00 PM
esidebill

Quote:
Originally Posted by IslesZoso View Post
Not to get too off-topic, but what would be the benefits of a hot bath versus an ice bath? I went into a steaming hot bathtub once with a slight groin pull, and by the time I stepped out of the bath, all the soreness was practically gone.
You should try a sauna. Aw man.

esidebill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2012, 04:19 PM
Geo73

Heat increases blood flow which helps get the bodies natural analgesics to the area affected. The heat has a soothing effect and prevents spasms. Don't use heat on a new injury though as the increase in blood flow can increase swelling, ice is a much better treatment on
new injuries.

Old
08-16-2012, 08:36 AM
Stickchecked

Did my first ice bath yesterday morning and it went fine. I had a limited amount of ice but it was a first step. Funny, I didn't actually mind the coldness of my legs/pelvic in the water, it was leaning my back against the cold wall.

Definitely plan on doing ice baths when I can. Once winter hits it will be much easier to do.

Old
08-16-2012, 06:46 PM
Legionnaire11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geo73 View Post
Heat increases blood flow which helps get the bodies natural analgesics to the area affected. The heat has a soothing effect and prevents spasms. Don't use heat on a new injury though as the increase in blood flow can increase swelling, ice is a much better treatment on
new injuries.
That's basically it. Ice after game/practice/injury to manage swelling. Heat the next day to ease away the pain. Takes some getting used to, but it's definitely worth the benefits.

Legionnaire11 is offline   Reply With Quote