HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Canucks Fans, which era do you prefer?

View Poll Results: ...
Kesler-Sedins 89 47.85%
West Coast Express 24 12.90%
Linden/Bure/Adams/McLean 69 37.10%
Smyl/Gradin/Snepsts/Brodeur 4 2.15%
Voters: 186. You may not vote on this poll

Old
08-15-2012, 02:03 PM
Wisp

vCash: 500
Uh, this one? Duh.

Wisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2012, 02:30 PM
aandbreatheme

The current era; didn't watch closely enough between 2004-2008 and didn't have much emotional attachment to those emergent players (Naslund, Ohlund, Jovanoski, etc.)

aandbreatheme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2012, 05:53 PM
biturbo19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Canucklehead View Post
Updated with Linden/Bure/etc., and Smyl/Gradin/etc.

For me, it's a toss up between the Linden/Bure/McLean days and the current incarnation. Bure and the Twins are probably the best players I've seen don a Canucks jersey in my lifetime, and McLean and Luongo are the two best stoppers I've seen to date. The 1994 and 2011 Cup Runs were spectacular to watch. As much talent as the WCE had, they never came as close as either of those teams did to glory.

In a pinch, I'd go with today's team.
Yeah, this is kind of where i'm at. Throwing in that Linden/Bure/etc. era really complicates things for me. That incarnation of the team will always be special for me, as that's the one that really solidified things for me as a lifelong Canucks fan.

But this current era with the Twins...it's really something as well. The WCE just never really did anything for me. Had it's moments, but it never really struck me as a special group in the same way as the other two eras.

biturbo19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2012, 05:58 PM
Dado

vCash:
The Bure/Linden/Maclean crew.

By rights it should be the WCE-era team, but to me, there was always something a bit off about that group.

Old
08-15-2012, 06:04 PM
vanwest

The current bunch. But the excitement created by Pavel Bure is something we were very lucky to have in this town. I think at some point we will also look back on the Sedin magic as something unique to the NHL that we are lucky to see every night.

vanwest is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2012, 06:04 PM
vector209

While this era has boasted some of the best Canucks teams in history, for me it just comes down to one player who electrified night in and night out: Bure.

To date, there's never been a more talented Canuck. He just made that team so fun to watch and even though the 2011 run was amazing, the 94 run was just a little more magical for me as I was just getting into hockey back then during elementary.

If only this team had a Bure these days... if only...

vector209 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2012, 06:21 PM
y2kcanucks
Cult of Personality

Send a message via AIM to y2kcanucks
Quote:
Originally Posted by vector209 View Post
While this era has boasted some of the best Canucks teams in history, for me it just comes down to one player who electrified night in and night out: Bure.

To date, there's never been a more talented Canuck. He just made that team so fun to watch and even though the 2011 run was amazing, the 94 run was just a little more magical for me as I was just getting into hockey back then during elementary.

If only this team had a Bure these days... if only...
That really would be the equivalent of adding Alex Ovechkin to this team. High end skill, gritty, fast, electrifying. The total package that's rarely seen in any era.

08-15-2012, 06:41 PM
Andre Boudrias

vCash: 50
Send a message via MSN to Andre Boudrias
This era. AINEC.

2 consecutive president trophies, back to back 50 win seasons. This is a franchise that has endured 15 consecutive years of losing!!

Hank and Dan have won the franchises only hart and art ross. Kesler won the ftanchises only selke.

IMO. You cant compare this core with the other mediocre ones.

I forgot the great goaltending we have witness with luongo. He was magical in the 06-07 season. Crazy good in the playoffs. Luongo spoiled our fan base, he is still a top 5 ish goalie in this league. Now having Schneider taking over is another blessing. Oh yeah, they also won the franchises first Jennings trophy.

Last edited by Andre Boudrias: 08-15-2012 at 06:49 PM.
Andre Boudrias is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2012, 06:45 PM
ddawg1950

Watched them all.

This era is the best.

ddawg1950 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Son of a Dawson
Bo Knows Hockey

The Robert Dirk, Gerald Diduck and Kay Whitmore era.

Son of a Dawson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Hollywood Burrows

Well, this current team is obviously the best in club history, AINEC.

But I'll say one thing about the Quinn-era 94 Canucksó they were a tough, dirty team. There's no way the Bruins of 2011 would have pushed them around. Hunter-Mcintyre-Antoski was our 4th line in the 94 final (Gino in the pressbox) and we also had guys like Momesso, Diduck, Murzyn, and Courtnall who would have no qualms with breaking faces to win hockey games.

Hollywood Burrows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2012, 07:27 PM
Katani Kalan

West Coast Express era for me that line was the best ever in Vancouver for me. Bertuzzi and Naslund were magic and Morrison was the defensive concious. Jovocop jumping into the play was beautiful as well. It's a shame we couldn't do more with that squad. My second pick has to Linden/Bure/Courtnall and all that team had heart. I love the team now but there to emotionless for me and the diving is sad.

Katani Kalan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2012, 07:49 PM
Scurr

I prefer the era with two Art Ross trophies, a Hart trophy, a Selke trophy, a Jack Adams, some Vezina nominations, first two Presidents Trophies, a handful of division titles, a trip to the finals, and some bitter playoff rivals. Sustained success FTW. Boy you guys are spoiled

Scurr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2012, 07:53 PM
aandbreatheme

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scurr View Post
I prefer the era with two Art Ross trophies, a Hart trophy, a Selke trophy, a Jack Adams, some Vezina nominations, first two Presidents Trophies, a handful of division titles, a trip to the finals, and some bitter playoff rivals. Sustained success FTW. Boy you guys are spoiled
You forgot Daniel's Ted Lindsay.

aandbreatheme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2012, 08:10 PM
vadim sharifijanov
Rrbata

not counting the smyl/gradin/brodeur canucks because i had just been born and have no memory of them, i'll count down the canucks eras of my lifetime.

5. messier canucks. 1997 to 2000.
begins: pat quinn fired, mike keenan hired.
ends: p.o.s. goes back to new york.
nothing more to say. it sucked.

4. late 80s canucks. ~1986 to 1991.
begins: around '86, maybe when gradin left, or when we traded neely and committed ourselves to running out the decade as failures.
ends: dan quinn and garth butcher for cliff ronning, geoff courtnall, sergio momesso, and robert dirk
this was my first real introduction to the canucks, and those guys were the reason i started my hockey-watching life as a habs fan.

3. naslund/bertuzzi/cloutier/crawford canucks. 2000 to 2006.
begins: messier leaves.
ends: naslund leaves.
profoundly disappointing group. few fond memories. most memorable moments are the last game of the '03 regular season ("we choked"), games 5-7 of the minnesota series, and steve moore. ugh.

2. current canucks. 2006-???
begins: naslund leaves.
ends: ????
i love these guys. best team of my lifetime and profoundly fun to watch. the lows are obviously extremely low, but the highs have been extremely high. hart, two hart runner-ups, lindsay, two art rosses, selke, two PTs, finals run. we have been very lucky.

1. linden/bure/mclean/quinn canucks. 1991-1997
begins: dan quinn and garth butcher for cliff ronning, geoff courtnall, sergio momesso, and robert dirk
ends: quinn fired, keenan hired
objectively, the current canucks have given me more bang for the buck. but i will maybe never love a team as much as i love this team. i was nine when quinn boosted ronning, courtnall, and big serge. i was twelve during the cup run. i wore #10 and played the off-wing all through minor hockey. those were great years.

vadim sharifijanov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2012, 08:27 PM
vadim sharifijanov
Rrbata

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollywood Burrows View Post
Well, this current team is obviously the best in club history, AINEC.

But I'll say one thing about the Quinn-era 94 Canucksó they were a tough, dirty team. There's no way the Bruins of 2011 would have pushed them around. Hunter-Mcintyre-Antoski was our 4th line in the 94 final (Gino in the pressbox) and we also had guys like Momesso, Diduck, Murzyn, and Courtnall who would have no qualms with breaking faces to win hockey games.
man, to this day i still wish quinn hadn't restrained momesso from jumping off the bench at the end of game six when messier cheap shotted linden. would have loved to see big serge unload on him.

it would have been a classic bench clearer too. we had hunter and anton on the bench, rangers had some tough customers themselves, including the greatest fighter of all time joey kocur.

vadim sharifijanov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2012, 08:32 PM
Hammer79

This era is the best.

Linden/Bure/Adams/McLean had the one run and a couple of 2nd round appearances, but they were never dominate in the regular season. If San Jose hadn't pulled off the monster first round upset of Detroit in '94, I think the cup final that year would have been Detroit vs NY Rangers. It's easy to get nostalgic about that team and about Bure's goal scoring prowess, but they weren't close to being a complete team.

Smyl/Gradin/Snepsts/Brodeur was a bit before my time, I was only 2 when that finals happened. From the looks of it though, that was just a mediocre team that went on a Cinderella run and ran into the Islanders cup dynasty. If the Kings didn't pull the huge 48 point difference upset in round 1, Vancouver probably wouldn't have made it out of the 2nd round against 92 goal 212 pt Gretzky's Oilers.

West Coast Express might have made noise in the playoffs if they had some decent goaltending. That 2nd round loss to the Wild shouldn't have happened, Cloutier just fell apart. There was also that series where they went up 2-0 on a powerhouse Detroit squad, and one goal from centre ice cratered Cloutier's confidence and the series was done in 6 games. If they had decent goaltending the story might have been very different, but Burke's weakness has always been evaluating goaltenders. One thing that team had that this era doesn't is an established power forward. That's the one missing ingredient for the modern era team.

Hammer79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2012, 09:04 PM
blendini

Years of horrible Canuck hockey has made me very grateful for the present team. Yeah, they haven't won a cup, but they give us some great entertainment most games. Hold your head proud, Nuck fans. The past teams were awful and we may return to that in years to come.

blendini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2012, 09:43 PM
ProstheticConscience
Dystemper

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddawg1950 View Post
Watched them all.

This era is the best.
This. Easily.

ProstheticConscience is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2012, 09:59 PM
LiquidSnake
Agent of Chaos...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucbourdon View Post
West coast express was imo the best exciting era when it came to talent on the ice.
You probably were old enough to remember Bure. He was light years ahead of those guys

LiquidSnake is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2012, 10:00 PM
LiquidSnake
Agent of Chaos...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddawg1950 View Post
Watched them all.

This era is the best.
As a team, I agree. But as entertainment and heart... It's Bure and Co. Our first star.

LiquidSnake is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2012, 11:21 PM
Melrose Munch

Lack of love for the WCE is shocking. They were everywhere in 2003,2004,2005.

Melrose Munch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2012, 12:17 AM
Canadian Gold X3
It is what it is.

Markus Naslund was the player who I first watched and loved as a hockey player. WCE for me.

Canadian Gold X3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2012, 12:24 AM
Finnish Your Czechs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melrose Munch View Post
If that team had compenent goaltending they'd rank a lot higher I'm sure.

Hell, we'd probably have a cup by now too.

Finnish Your Czechs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2012, 12:29 AM
Hammer79

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melrose Munch View Post
I'm not sure what you are remembering, unless you forgot the

2002-2003 season The 'we choked' season, lost out on first place and Naslund losing scoring title to Forsberg on final day. Team fell behind 3-1 to the Blues, but a flu ravaging the Blues roster contributed to the game 7 comeback. Canucks jump up 3-1 on the Wild, but Cloutier collapsed and Canucks get bounced in 7.

2003-2004 season Bertuzzi got suspended, but was clearly slumping before the incident, Canucks get bounced by Calgary in first round

2004-2005 season lockout no hockey

2005-2006 season Bertuzzi returned, but was not the same player, team lost 6 of 8 last games and missed playoffs by 3 points. Crawford got fired and AV hired, and Bertuzzi and Allen were traded for Luongo.

It was an era that I'd rather forget. All the Naslund worship was a bit over-the-top considering how little that team accomplished, but that's for another thread.

Hammer79 is offline   Reply With Quote