HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

David Desharnais next contract

Old
08-15-2012, 05:04 PM
Alexdaman

vCash: 50
His agent will claim that if Max Pac gets 4.5m$ a year that DD is certainly worth 3.75 or 4 a year

Alexdaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2012, 05:10 PM
pine*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HawkeyeCB View Post
If "gone" is a code-word for 1st line C, then yes, you're right.
oh, I guess Galchenyuk will be gone then in that case

pine* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2012, 05:17 PM
Joey

Send a message via MSN to Joey
I have a weird hunch that in the next 2 seasons, in one of them DD won't crack 40 points

Not saying I don't believe in the guy. But, just a feeling i have about him

Joey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2012, 05:21 PM
CrAzYNiNe

Send a message via MSN to CrAzYNiNe
To give DD anything more then a 2 year 4 million dollar contract would be silly. His first year was a good one, but IMO it doesn't deserve a a big paycheck yet. Considering he has another year of cheap contract, he can risk it and be paid peanuts to show what he can do, or sign a moderate extension. The thing is 2 years that are as good as his first would be a reason to spend some money on the guy.

CrAzYNiNe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2012, 05:33 PM
Harpo
Lyle forever

Whether David ends up being 1st or 2nd line center, with the Habs or not, it would be smart to sign him for a 2-4 year contract in the 3.5-4 million range.

Harpo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2012, 05:46 PM
Crimson Skorpion
HFB Partner

Awards:
First, Bergevin needs to decide whether or not Desharnais is a part of the core going forward. Parts of that core include Patches, Price, Gorges and possibly Subban. This is the most important piece of information there is to know before offering the contract.

I think he is. Playing with Pacioretty - both have excellent chemistry together - he is dynamite.

If management sees things the same way, I think he gets a 5 year contract, $4 million per year.

Want to write for us? Head to lastwordonsports.com/writeforus and apply!
Crimson Skorpion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2012, 05:52 PM
Andros777

I'd say he's part of the core. The last time we had a center who scored sixty points was Plekanec what, three years ago?

Andros777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2012, 05:55 PM
habber24

Signing him over 2 years would be very risky. We got good production out of him, but he was playing on the 1st line with the 2 best players the team has. In 3 years from now, when Gally's probably playing his 2nd year do you give him the chance to play with the best players or relegate him to 2nd or 3rd line. We haven't had a pure talent like Gally for such a long time, can we wait 3 or 4 years to ease him in or do we give the best wingers and unleash him. Plus I think Eller is very underrated, I wonder if Desharnais played with the same players all year, would he had a signifant point production. I would sign DD to a 2 year contract (3.75-4M/y) and try to trade him. I would be very confident with Plecky, Gally and Eller (in no particular order) as our first 3 centers.

habber24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2012, 05:56 PM
JGRB
#EllerThugLife

The option as far as I'm concerned is to offer him a short-end extension now, maybe something along the lines of a 2yr 7-7.5M deal.

Or we wait until we get a good portion of the season under way, and extend him into the same "core length" as Price/Patches at around 4.5M per year as well. I'm not as confident about DD as I am about guys like Patches or Subban. DD is a very smart player, but I question how effective he would truly be without his hulking wingers to finish for him.

JGRB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2012, 06:09 PM
LyricalLyricist

I'd be shocked if DD leaves. He'd probably take a discount. Give him an extension if he starts off good this year, 3.5 per for 2 years.

LyricalLyricist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2012, 06:24 PM
One Man Rock Band
T-Ross!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JGRB View Post
The option as far as I'm concerned is to offer him a short-end extension now, maybe something along the lines of a 2yr 7-7.5M deal.

Or we wait until we get a good portion of the season under way, and extend him into the same "core length" as Price/Patches at around 4.5M per year as well. I'm not as confident about DD as I am about guys like Patches or Subban. DD is a very smart player, but I question how effective he would truly be without his hulking wingers to finish for him.
Probably as effective as he was playing with Pouliot, Darche, and Pyatt.

Pretty effective.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzYNiNe View Post
To give DD anything more then a 2 year 4 million dollar contract would be silly. His first year was a good one, but IMO it doesn't deserve a a big paycheck yet. Considering he has another year of cheap contract, he can risk it and be paid peanuts to show what he can do, or sign a moderate extension. The thing is 2 years that are as good as his first would be a reason to spend some money on the guy.
Pacioretty got a nice extension after 1 1/2 good years. DD has had 1 1/2 good years too. It's not that different. Yes, Patches brings more the table in an all-around game, but DD is still an important piece. I would try to offer him a long-term contract at a huge discount - he might sign it. You never know. 6-years, $15M? Worth taking a shot and working from there. If we could lock him up long-term for under $3M, I would be a very happy camper.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey View Post
I have a weird hunch that in the next 2 seasons, in one of them DD won't crack 40 points

Not saying I don't believe in the guy. But, just a feeling i have about him
The only way he doesn't crack 40-points is if he gets injured.

Knock on wood.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pine View Post
If Gally comes in and takes the #1 center spot right away -- either we have an unreal stud or our management is just as stupid as before. Most players, even ones as highly touted as Galchenyuk don't start off on the 1st line.

Last edited by One Man Rock Band: 08-15-2012 at 06:30 PM.
One Man Rock Band is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2012, 06:34 PM
MXD

Depends on when he's signed, and his next season.

Similar season? We'd be lucky to sign him for 4Mper (under the current parameters of the CBA/Cap).

Right now? 2.8 might just do it, but at that amount, that would be for 2 or 3 years. Not 6.

I suspect he'll take some kind of discount.
And those coming up with the Plek/Gally/Eller line of center.

First, let's wait until Gally plays his first game. Second, DD CAN play wing, as opposed to Eller.

MXD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2012, 06:35 PM
MXD

Quote:
I think Galchenyuk never played a single game.

MXD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2012, 06:37 PM
pine*

Quote:

If Gally comes in and takes the #1 center spot right away -- either we have an unreal stud or our management is just as stupid as before. Most players, even ones as highly touted as Galchenyuk don't start off on the 1st line.
Wasn't talking about right away, was referring to longterm. If down the road, Gally doesn't end up being our #1 C, I'll be disappointed.

No pressure.

pine* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2012, 06:38 PM
One Man Rock Band
T-Ross!!

Quote:
Wasn't talking about right away, was referring to longterm. If down the road, Gally doesn't end up being our #1 C, I'll be disappointed.

No pressure.
Fair enough, I was just going off the post you quoted which stated that when Galchenyuk is ready for a Top-3 spot.

I would be disappointed if he didn't end up as a #1 C too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MXD View Post
Depends on when he's signed, and his next season.

Similar season? We'd be lucky to sign him for 4Mper (under the current parameters of the CBA/Cap).

Right now? 2.8 might just do it, but at that amount, that would be for 2 or 3 years. Not 6.

I suspect he'll take some kind of discount.
And those coming up with the Plek/Gally/Eller line of center.

First, let's wait until Gally plays his first game. Second, DD CAN play wing, as opposed to Eller.
I don't get why everyone is in such a hurry to move our C depth. We FINALLY have depth at C ... something we've been begging for years. We can easily use one of them on the wing. Desharnais has shown he can play wing (albeit a small sample size), and Eller can play wing too (even if he's quite a bit better at C).

/// (Leblanc? Gallagher? Collberg? UFA?) - Plekanec - Cole
Pacioretty - Galchenyuk - Desharnais
Bourque - Eller - Gionta

Could be our line-up in a few years. Nothing wrong with moving talent around. Yeah, sure if we get an awesome deal for a Top-6 winger (who is actually good), you make the move regardless if they want Pleks, Eller, or DD, IMO (only after Galchenyuk is ready though). But you don't just trade them and hope to get something okay.

Old
08-15-2012, 06:41 PM
JGRB
#EllerThugLife

Quote:
Probably as effective as he was playing with Pouliot, Darche, and Pyatt.

Pretty effective.

Pacioretty got a nice extension after 1 1/2 good years. DD has had 1 1/2 good years too. It's not that different. Yes, Patches brings more the table in an all-around game, but DD is still an important piece. I would try to offer him a long-term contract at a huge discount - he might sign it. You never know. 6-years, $15M? Worth taking a shot and working from there. If we could lock him up long-term for under $3M, I would be a very happy camper.

The only way he doesn't crack 40-points is if he gets injured.

Knock on wood.

Sure, but to what degree is my point?

If we end up locking up DD and it's in Pacioretty-territory and then we have Galchenyuk come in 2 years from now and take away the top wingers.. Can DD put up 60 point seasons with lesser players?

We've seen Pleks become a scapegoat to some people on this forum, and he performs just as favorably offensively as DD and much more so defensively.

I'm A-OK with giving him a 2-year extension at or shy of 4M. It doesn't hurt. Long-term worries me a bit more.

JGRB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2012, 06:48 PM
One Man Rock Band
T-Ross!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JGRB View Post
Sure, but to what degree is my point?

If we end up locking up DD and it's in Pacioretty-territory and then we have Galchenyuk come in 2 years from now and take away the top wingers.. Can DD put up 60 point seasons with lesser players?

We've seen Pleks become a scapegoat to some people on this forum, and he performs just as favorably offensively as DD and much more so defensively.

I'm A-OK with giving him a 2-year extension at or shy of 4M. It doesn't hurt. Long-term worries me a bit more.
How many second liners put up 60-points anyway? In fact, how many 1st line C's put up 60-points?

Only 20 C's in the entire NHL put up 60-points this year (Desharnais being one of them). This forum (actually, HFBoards as a whole) has unrealistic expectations for a lot people. I've seen people huff at 25/25 guys because that's barely good enough for the second line! Jesus, 50-points was what Andrew Ladd, Shane Doan, Drew Stafford (among others) scored. Guess where they ranked? 91st ... or if you do the math, a top second liner by default.

Even if DD put up 50-points playing with the likes of Bourque and Gionta on a 2nd scoring line - that's pretty acceptable in this day and age.

Of course, I'm confident DD is going to be a 60+ point producer in his prime, regardless of his wingers.

I also hope our team manages to grow and that Patches isn't the only good winger we have. Hopefully at least one of Collberg, Leblanc, Kristo, or Gallagher turn out.

I've never been a Pleks scapegoater either. He's still a 1st line center, even with poor wingers. He was 29th in scoring among all NHL C's this year (39th if you go by PPG), and he played with mediocre players (or at least struggling players) all year. Hopefully a healthy Gionta and a now comfortable Bourque can help him get closer to the 60-mark.

Last edited by One Man Rock Band: 08-15-2012 at 06:55 PM.
Old
08-15-2012, 06:50 PM
canadiensnation
Go Habs Go

I don't see him getting an extension until he plays at least 20 or 30 games this year. I can live with a 2-4 year contract ranging from 3-4m depending on how good he plays. Excellent player for his lack of size and being undrafted, really turned into a great top six forward.

4 years @ 15m.
3 years @ 14m.

canadiensnation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2012, 06:51 PM
rockjngo

I don't think Desharnais is part of the core. However he's integral part of the team. He's a #2 centerman.

rockjngo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2012, 06:52 PM
uocooco

4 year 14 million would be nice

uocooco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2012, 06:54 PM
One Man Rock Band
T-Ross!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockjngo View Post
I don't think Desharnais is part of the core. However he's integral part of the team. He's a #2 centerman.
A #2 centre in his first full season? Pretty good, wouldn't you say?

He was Top-20 in scoring among C's and 26th if you break it down to PPG among C's. That's got 1st line potential written all over it (or technically, bottom of the pack first line already).

Old
08-15-2012, 06:54 PM
Fozz

I don't think management should worry about other centers and who will get what ice time in a few years. If they sign Desharnais, they sign an asset and that asset can be used in many different way. If we have too many quality centers, so be it. You can trade from that position when it becomes a necessity.

Fozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2012, 06:56 PM
One Man Rock Band
T-Ross!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fozz View Post
I don't think management should worry about other centers and who will get what ice time in a few years. If they sign Desharnais, they sign an asset and that asset can be used in many different way. If we have too many quality centers, so be it. You can trade from that position when it becomes a necessity.
Smart person is smart.

Old
08-15-2012, 07:27 PM
ChoseLa

I might be a bit too high on Davy boy, but 3.75m$-4M$ seems fair.

ChoseLa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2012, 08:54 PM
Soltantgris

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewHabsEra View Post
I cant wait to see Desharnais without Cole and/or Pac so that people starts to realize DD's weakness.. .
Maybe. But I do remember that DD played his first half-year with garbage linemate, 8-9 minute per game, and still managed to produced at a 0.5ppg rate.

And Pax repeat and repeat DD deserve a lot of credit for his production (he said he would like to plya with him for his entire career).

Overated, I don't know. When I read this forum, I realise that, imo, he's UNderrated ! People just don't realise how good he is, how smart he is. He's my favorite habs, as I see him like a potential stars in this ligue.

Soltantgris is offline   Reply With Quote