HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2012-2013 Lockout Discussion Thread

Closed Thread

Old
08-15-2012, 03:56 PM
Jabroni
The People's Champ

vCash: 500
Who was the NHL commissioner before Bettman?

Was he good?

Old
08-15-2012, 03:57 PM
Jabroni
The People's Champ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kershaw View Post
Might consider moving onto OHL hockey if the whole year is locked out.
Can I order streams from someplace online?

Any league: SEL, AHL, OHL, KHL, etc.

Old
08-15-2012, 03:58 PM
NYRFAN218
Mac Truck

Quote:
Originally Posted by SupersonicMonkey View Post
I have no hope that there will be hockey at all this season.
Let's not get crazy here. I think the safe bet is there will be hockey but it won't be until December or the Winter Classic at the latest. I don't think anyone will get a real good feel for how this is going until two weeks before the deadline though. Still too early.

I just don't see any way where they lock out for the entire year. There is no way they can do it again under any circumstance. What they're arguing over will be nothing compared to the after effects of a year long lockout.

08-15-2012, 04:01 PM
Tawnos
A guy with a bass

Not that it was nothing, but Bettman didn't actually say anything of substance today.

Nothing but grandstanding. Fehr too. I wouldn't take anything from it.

Old
08-15-2012, 04:03 PM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
It's not Bettman, it's the owners. They ask for reforms, but then do everything in their power to skirt the reforms and find loopholes. They just can't control themselves.

Fehr is right. The players gave last time. They shouldn't be expected to make large sacrifices this time.

Old
08-15-2012, 04:04 PM
SixGoalieSystem
Eat all the bacon!

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRFAN218 View Post
Let's not get crazy here. I think the safe bet is there will be hockey but it won't be until December or the Winter Classic at the latest. I don't think anyone will get a real good feel for how this is going until two weeks before the deadline though. Still too early.

I just don't see any way where they lock out for the entire year. There is no way they can do it again under any circumstance. What they're arguing over will be nothing compared to the after effects of a year long lockout.
I'm not too sure. If you go by start of HBO24/7 or the Winter Classic as the pressure point, that's only really there for the owners, and they've made it pretty clear, they're not going to concede anything. They won't give in.

That means it's up to the players to make the concessions. Maybe they will, but I'm not confident.

Old
08-15-2012, 04:05 PM
NYRFAN218
Mac Truck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubkov21 View Post
I'm not too sure. If you go by start of HBO24/7 or the Winter Classic as the pressure point, that's only really there for the owners, and they've made it pretty clear, they're not going to concede anything. They won't give in.

That means it's up to the players to make the concessions. Maybe they will, but I'm not confident.
RangerBoy's gone over how much the Winter Classic brings in revenue wise and this years will be the biggest one yet. I think the players know this and are willing to wait until the owners cave before then.

Old
08-15-2012, 04:07 PM
silverfish
Mr. Glass

This might be a ridiculous question, but, if the league locks out for the full season, do the players lose a year off of their contracts? Or does everything stay as it is today...

Old
08-15-2012, 04:08 PM
Tawnos
A guy with a bass

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverfish View Post
This might be a ridiculous question, but, if the league locks out for the full season, do the players lose a year off of their contracts? Or does everything stay as it is today...
Pretty sure there isn't a hard and fast rule on this. They agreed to let a year lapse on contracts last time, but I think that has to be negotiated. Someone can correct me if I'm wrong.

Old
08-15-2012, 04:08 PM
NYRFAN218
Mac Truck

Quote:
I believe a year comes off but I'm not a hundred percent sure. Anyone who had signing bonuses in their deals get paid for that though.

Old
08-15-2012, 04:10 PM
SixGoalieSystem
Eat all the bacon!

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRFAN218 View Post
RangerBoy's gone over how much the Winter Classic brings in revenue wise and this years will be the biggest one yet. I think the players know this and are willing to wait until the owners cave before then.
Hopefully you're both right. Probably a lockout ending in November-December is the most likely outcome, but it doesn't stop me being worried over this, and I do think a full season lockout is a possibility.

Old
08-15-2012, 04:10 PM
Kane One
Global Moderator
🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨

vCash: 2960
There is no set rule on that. That will probably be the last thing they talk about.

08-15-2012, 04:25 PM
CM PUNK

Quote:
a year is taken off all contracts, so players that have 1 year left on their deals would become free agents

Old
08-15-2012, 04:30 PM
CM PUNK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jabroni1994 View Post

Was he good?
technically the answer is no one...bettman is the 1st and only commissioner. before he took over the role was filled by the nhl president.

Old
08-15-2012, 04:30 PM
Blueshirt Believer

I would not be in any panic mode yet that a whole season will be lost. The two sides are still talking, as long as they continue to talk something will get done.

However, judging by the response today we are going to lose some part of the season. How much or how little depends on the next two weeks.

Old
08-15-2012, 04:36 PM
Blueshirt Believer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jabroni1994 View Post

Was he good?
There was no commissioner prior to Bettman. Gil Stien was the last NHL president. Stien, from what I remember(its very vague), was a fairly contentious figure. He expanded his position a bit, and had some sort of issue with HOF. I don't remember exactly what it was all about.

I don't think owners liked him because he didn't last very long.

Old
08-15-2012, 05:22 PM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Quote:
Expect the eight-team prospects tournament in Traverse City to be cancelled any day now.
https://twitter.com/tkulfan/status/235857899010789376

Old
08-15-2012, 05:32 PM
IBleedNYRBlue

And so many say we shouldn't boo Bettman whenever he makes an appearance somewhere.

That POS is going to ****ing ruin this league again.

Old
08-15-2012, 05:34 PM
mrjimmyg89
'13-'14 East Champs

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post
This is a bunch of BS. That tournament is a good way to get a look at your draft selections and players that have been developing in the CHL or any other junior league. Because of this, one of the better tournaments is going to be canceled. I was looking forward to getting to see some of the youngsters we have in the system.

Old
08-15-2012, 05:40 PM
nevesis

If the season started in January, and we ended up winning the cup, it wouldn't feel sufficient. I would rather lose an entire season than play a half assed 35-40 game season. **** that.

Either we start games on October 12, or this league can go **** itself.

Old
08-15-2012, 05:45 PM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Quote:
Bettman pointed out that players in the NFL and NBA gave concessions in their sports. Fehr pointed out that Bettman didn't mention baseball, which has no cap and expansive revenue sharing.

Fehr's argument is that instead of asking why NHL players won't be like NBA and NFL players, the players could be asking "Why can't (the NHL) be like baseball?"

"This is an industry where the owners insisted upon and got enormous concessions from the players last time with the stated expectation that would fix things," Fehr said. "Their position now is it didn't fix things. Now, the question then becomes: What do you do about that? From the players' standpoint, it doesn't necessarily follow that players should get paid less."
http://www.usatoday.com/sports/hocke...nse/57076110/1

Bettman doesn't mention the increased revenue sharing in the NBA CBA

Quote:
Revenue sharing

• 2005 CBA: Some of the undistributed funds from the luxury tax were given to teams in competitively disadvantaged markets.

• 2011 CBA: A new plan approximately triples the amount of money that is revenue-shared. Details of this plan are yet to be finalized.

• Who benefits? Small-market teams. Teams like the Lakers, with their new $3 billion local television contract, will be perennial payers into this system, and teams like Charlotte and Milwaukee will be perennial beneficiaries.
http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/page/...pares-last-one

Triples the amount. The NHL revenue sharing is at $170M. $510M is triple the amount. The PA has proposed $240M and the NHL is at $190M. The NBA players accepted 49%-51% from 57% with expanded revenue sharing. Bettman is being his usual disingenuous self.

MLB players get 47% but they have a revenue sharing plan Fehr and his brother Steve developed for MLB.

Quote:
The union’s revenue-sharing proposal was designed by Steve Fehr, Donald’s brother and the architect of baseball’s revenue-sharing plan, which is viewed as the industry standard among professional sports leagues.

His plan for the N.H.L. would probably remove many of the restrictions currently in place, one of which, for example, prohibits the financially strapped Islanders from receiving revenue-sharing funds because they are in a large television market.
http://slapshot.blogs.nytimes.com/20...-negotiations/

Old
08-15-2012, 05:50 PM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Old
08-15-2012, 05:54 PM
Blueshirt Believer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RL605 View Post
And so many say we shouldn't boo Bettman whenever he makes an appearance somewhere.

That POS is going to ****ing ruin this league again.
I don't like Bettman much either, but I hate the stupid booing. Especially during the SCF, its utterly pointless and embarrassing. That is not the time/place to do such things(It comes off as some sort of professional wrestling moment). If people want to get together and heckle him during these proceedings..fine.

The booing of Bettman is so silly that if the Coyotes had won the cup their fans would probably have done it. That would have been the most asinine thing ever.

Last edited by Blueshirt Believer: 08-15-2012 at 06:02 PM.
Old
08-15-2012, 05:56 PM
Blueshirt Believer

Quote:
Originally Posted by nevesis View Post
If the season started in January, and we ended up winning the cup, it wouldn't feel sufficient. I would rather lose an entire season than play a half assed 35-40 game season. **** that.

Either we start games on October 12, or this league can go **** itself.
I wouldn't care, still got to go through the playoffs. Nobody has an advantage over anybody. So getting the Cup would mean the same for me.

I still don't see us losing that much of the season.

Old
08-15-2012, 05:57 PM
silverfish
Mr. Glass

Point the finger you want all at Bettman, but you need to understand that the players are at fault here also.

Everyone is at fault, so all the hate being towards Bettman and the Owners is a little outrageous, and really only proves that the NHL needs a new PR department.

Hey NHL, I'm available

Closed Thread