HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

TSN Article About Officiating

Closed Thread

Old
04-27-2006, 05:58 PM
Habs4Lyfe
Drive for 25

vCash: 500
TSN Article About Officiating

Here is an article from TSN that includes an interview with Stephen Walkom, the NHL's senior vice-president and director of officiating.

He even talks about what happened last night with Koivu

http://tsn.ca/nhl/news_story/?ID=164073&hubname=

Old
04-27-2006, 06:03 PM
Rahan

"We had a big series managers meeting prior to the playoffs so that every manager would have a template on how to run a series," said Walkom. "I'm in constant contact with series managers."

Was the template for our series basically a scheme on how to hand Carolina the wins?

Old
04-27-2006, 07:24 PM
BLONG7

Man, that non call was bad...no if's and's or but's...just plain bad...hopefully it will be a rallying point for the team...

Old
04-27-2006, 07:38 PM
impudent_lowlife

I think that the non-call on the Koivu "accident" is a result of Bettman's NHL - meaning that, being a business, Bettman's NHL doesn't want too many (if any) Canadian teams in the SC final. It's bad for a business that's trying to gain market share in the U.S.

I understand Gainey's reaction to the "accident" incident. The best way to make Williams & the Hurricanes pay for their "transgression" is to knock them out of the playoffs. Going after Williams would probably cost the Habs a game & perhaps the series.

Old
04-27-2006, 07:43 PM
tritone

Quote:
Originally Posted by impudent_lowlife
I think that the non-call on the Koivu "accident" is a result of Bettman's NHL - meaning that, being a business, Bettman's NHL doesn't want too many (if any) Canadian teams in the SC final. It's bad for a business that's trying to gain market share in the U.S.
This has got to be one of the most ludicrous conspiracy theories I've ever read on these boards.

Old
04-27-2006, 08:01 PM
e-e

Quote:

I understand Gainey's reaction to the "accident" incident. The best way to make Williams & the Hurricanes pay for their "transgression" is to knock them out of the playoffs. Going after Williams would probably cost the Habs a game & perhaps the series.

Old
04-27-2006, 08:22 PM
impudent_lowlife

Quote:
Originally Posted by tritone
This has got to be one of the most ludicrous conspiracy theories I've ever read on these boards.
Conspiracy theory? Don't think so. Bettman's legacy is two-fold: salary cap & expansion into the southern U.S. The existing Canadian markets are strong - while the southern U.S. markets are not as strong. I think that Bettman would be very happy if the SC final was, say, San Jose - Carolina, for example. Would the NHL want to or even be able to manipulate the refereeing so that scenario would come about? Don't know.

Old
04-27-2006, 08:29 PM
Beatnik

Send a message via MSN to Beatnik
Quote:
. Would the NHL want to or even be able to manipulate the refereeing so that scenario would come about? Don't know.
No, Bettman would end up in jail at the first try. He would never even think about trying it.

The referees are people with very good salaries who would never accepted to take the risk to end up in jail just to favorise a part of the US.

Old
04-27-2006, 08:37 PM
Nyclaus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beatnik
No, Bettman would end up in jail at the first try. He would never even think about trying it.

The referees are people with very good salaries who would never accepted to take the risk to end up in jail just to favorise a part of the US.
Of course he'd be jailed but I'm sure he's licking his lips like Wild E. Coyote just tinking about it.

Old
04-28-2006, 03:35 AM
beowulf
Poster of the Year!

Send a message via MSN to beowulf
I am very disappointed in the way the refs are not consistant and the Koivu non-call and Komo call are the perfect example. I thing this team has enough character so as this does not hurt them for the rest of the series. But the loss of Saku will hurt them bad. I can only hope he finds his way to Carolina for the week-end and shows up at some point with a full face shield.

Old
04-28-2006, 04:03 AM
Stefan

Send a message via MSN to Stefan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rahan
"We had a big series managers meeting prior to the playoffs so that every manager would have a template on how to run a series," said Walkom. "I'm in constant contact with series managers."

Was the template for our series basically a scheme on how to hand Carolina the wins?
Wow some people really aren't that bright... give your head a shake, dude.

Old
04-28-2006, 04:04 AM
Stefan

Send a message via MSN to Stefan
Quote:

That, and the Habs have a 2-1 lead in the series... if there was such a conspiracy theory, why would Ottawa and Calgary win their divisions? Yeesh, some people get funny ideas though. Gotta give those of you who believe in that nonsense creativity points though!

Old
04-28-2006, 05:34 AM
HappyPappy

I understand refs can miss a call and I didn't see the high stick on Koivu at first either so I don't blame the refs for that.
HOWEVER

I don't know about you guys but I was more disappointed at the calls in OT.
Plekanec gets held down and it was a clear penalty with the new rules and then 3 seconds later Plekanec gets called for hooking. If you compare the holding on Plekanec in OT with the holding that was called on Bouillon earlier, there should have been a penalty and Habs should have had the Power Play and not the Canes.

Old
04-28-2006, 05:55 AM
Kerberos*

Send a message via ICQ to   Kerberos* Send a message via MSN to   Kerberos*
Quote:

On what counts?

Old
04-28-2006, 06:02 AM
Dolemite
The one...the only..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs4Lyfe
Here is an article from TSN that includes an interview with Stephen Walkom, the NHL's senior vice-president and director of officiating.

He even talks about what happened last night with Koivu

http://tsn.ca/nhl/news_story/?ID=164073&hubname=

I'd like to see if TSN Follows up this article with an explanation of the Wings/Oilers officiating fiasco for Game 4 and furthermore explain why they're allowing diving to the point to where both teams are jumping all over the ice at any given time...with the officials falling for every single dive.

Old
04-28-2006, 08:13 AM
Blind Gardien
Global Moderator
nexus of the crisis

All sides involved admit a mistake was made on the Koivu injury.

Ok. Past that, I think it's just the law of averages that says if the refs are going to be calling all these chintzy kinds of little holding/hooking penalties, and are specifically tasked to make sure it doesn't look like there is any even-up going on, then there are bound to be situations in which a string of dubious calls goes against one team, while the other gets off scot free. I think that's all that happened in Game 3 against Carolina. No conspiracy, just random chance coming out against us.

The diving and faking is really alarming, though. Half of these hooking/holding/obstruction calls are being caused by players subtly grabbing sticks under their arms, doing mini-picks to get interference calls, or other such little tricks. It's a mess. I could live with the NHL playing hardball on calling infractions for a year or two and the game looking awful in the process, if the ultimate result was going to be a cleaner and faster product. But I'm not sure if that's what's going to happen. Instead, it just looks like a mish-mash of random powerplays, and faking is up 500%, completely nullifying any other improvement in the games. I'm afraid we're going to have to have another wave of seemingly random messy calls against the diving and trickery in order to reach the ultimate target. I don't know if the NHL will have the stamina for that. Or cares to pursue it to that degree. I hope they will. Otherwise, just put away the whistles now, and let's get back to the way things were, SVP.

Old
04-28-2006, 10:48 AM
Rahan

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaHabsRule
Wow some people really aren't that bright... give your head a shake, dude.
It was an hyperbole to express how mad I am. I know that it would never happen.

Read between the lines. And keep the insults coming!

Closed Thread