HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New Jersey Devils
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2012-2013 New Jersey Devils (Team News, Player Discussion Part XVIII)

Closed Thread

Old
08-15-2012, 11:00 PM
Zajacs Bowl Cut
Nova Nation

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Zajacs Bowl Cut Send a message via Yahoo to Zajacs Bowl Cut
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hell Zeon View Post
How anyone thinks this team won't survive without Parise certainly missed the entire playoffs and also the 2nd half of the season before.
no one is saying we won't survive

but to think his leaving will just be made up for just like that is silly.

Old
08-15-2012, 11:00 PM
apice3*

We're a worse team without Parise, but long term I'm glad he's gone. That contract is going to be brutal very soon. He's worth the cap hit right now, but in 4 years? No way.

Old
08-15-2012, 11:04 PM
Saugus
Ecrasez l'infame!

Send a message via AIM to Saugus
Quote:
Originally Posted by apice3 View Post
We're a worse team without Parise, but long term I'm glad he's gone. That contract is going to be brutal very soon. He's worth the cap hit right now, but in 4 years? No way.
Once his legs go, it will get ugly. He doesn't have the hands to keep his offensive game at a high enough level at that point. His excellent defensive positioning will keep him effective for some time longer, but eventually his contract will be an albatross.

Old
08-15-2012, 11:07 PM
apice3*

Exactly. His defense will always make him a serviceable bottom 6 guy, but at 7.5? Hell no. He's the next Chris Drury in that regard.

Old
08-15-2012, 11:14 PM
PADevil3034
Mooooooooooooooooose

Quote:
Originally Posted by apice3 View Post
Exactly. His defense will always make him a serviceable bottom 6 guy, but at 7.5? Hell no. He's the next Chris Drury in that regard.
Excellent analogy. I definitely see him fading, then quietly retiring, just like Drury did.

Old
08-15-2012, 11:21 PM
NJDevs26
Status quo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hell Zeon View Post
How anyone thinks this team won't survive without Parise certainly missed the entire playoffs and also the 2nd half of the season before.
The first part of that isn't fair. Yeah Zach didn't do all that much in the playoffs scoring-wise, but he was still there and had to be accounted for, and he still did other things to help the team win (witness the backchecking play at the end of Game 6 against Florida which started the play that led to the goal at the other end).

And the second part of that, well that was a whole nother coaching staff, team and situation. They weren't winning games with their offense, and they don't have a defense-first system now.

Old
08-15-2012, 11:24 PM
Rhodes 81
grit those teeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhodes 81 View Post
our weakly we can/can't survive without parise discussion.
lol i misspelled weekly

Old
08-16-2012, 07:23 AM
hlaverty06

I want to see Larsson do this....without gloves on of course

Old
08-16-2012, 07:33 AM
TheUnseenHand
Hashbrown Selfie

Quote:
Originally Posted by glenwo2 View Post
Devils will still find a way despite all that. I refuse to acknowledge that the absence of this POS who left us to marry his lover in Minny will cause this team's downfall.
Did I ever say it would cause the franchise to fall into a tailspin, or that it would be their downfall?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleedred View Post
Remember though the Kovynator won the Rocket Richard(Yeah I know co won with Nash, and Iginla) without Parise as well as put up 55 goals that year, and one other time. 40+ a few times. He also was the engine behind our huge reemergence under Lemaire during the second half of 2010/2011 without Parise in the lineup.
Oh I know. I'm not saying that Kovy won't score without Zach. I just think Lou needs to find another Zach-esque type guy to fill that role. The hard working guy who feeds the scorers. Obviously no one will be of Zachs caliber in that regard, especially defensively, but I think similar type guys are out there for a much smaller price tag.

Old
08-16-2012, 07:56 AM
Saugus
Ecrasez l'infame!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hlaverty06 View Post
I want to see Larsson do this....without gloves on of course

I don't. He's a star player, he shouldn't be fighting. We have other guys for that. He should be intimidating enough that he doesn't have to fight, like Stevens or Robinson.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheUnseenHand View Post
Oh I know. I'm not saying that Kovy won't score without Zach. I just think Lou needs to find another Zach-esque type guy to fill that role. The hard working guy who feeds the scorers. Obviously no one will be of Zachs caliber in that regard, especially defensively, but I think similar type guys are out there for a much smaller price tag.
Henrique, for one. I'm expecting him to step up in a big way to fill the void.

Old
08-16-2012, 08:03 AM
TheUnseenHand
Hashbrown Selfie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saugus View Post
I'm nervous about expecting Henrique to "fill the void" so to speak. Honestly, I think what you saw last season is pretty much what you'll get from him over his career. Not that it's a bad thing, but I just don't see his point totals ever approaching Zachs, and I don't really see him ever being that caliber of a player. I think, even though he's young, he's very close to his potential. Again, that's not bad, it's just the reason I'm weary of people expecting him to take over Zachs spot.

Once again, I still maintain that Josefson has more potential and very well may end up being the better player in the long run. No one will top Henriques clutch though. He's the most clutch player this team has had since Lemieux. He'll be a great leader too.

Old
08-16-2012, 08:08 AM
hlaverty06

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saugus View Post
I don't. He's a star player, he shouldn't be fighting. We have other guys for that. He should be intimidating enough that he doesn't have to fight, like Stevens or Robinson.

Well of course don't want him turning into a Carkner like players lol, but the occasional scrap like Brendan Smith, Smid, etc.

Old
08-16-2012, 08:12 AM
Saugus
Ecrasez l'infame!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheUnseenHand View Post
I'm nervous about expecting Henrique to "fill the void" so to speak. Honestly, I think what you saw last season is pretty much what you'll get from him over his career. Not that it's a bad thing, but I just don't see his point totals ever approaching Zachs, and I don't really see him ever being that caliber of a player. I think, even though he's young, he's very close to his potential. Again, that's not bad, it's just the reason I'm weary of people expecting him to take over Zachs spot.
Maybe he won't start putting up big point totals within a year, and he may never have a P/G season, but I don't think Henrique has peaked as a rookie. He has an excellent work ethic, a great motor, a willingness to go to the dirty areas to score, and he actually has a better shot than Parise (which isn't saying much, but still). I think he could definitely turn into a player who is consistently good for 60-70 points a season.

Closed Thread