HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Schneider Interview - No More uncertainty - Contenders for a while

Old
08-15-2012, 08:49 AM
Edler Revived

vCash: 500
Schneider Interview - No More uncertainty - Contenders for a while

http://www.salemnews.com/sports/x585...ters-mentality

"Every team has a window, but we can be contenders for a while"

Nice feel good Canuck morning read....even if it is kind of just a rebroadcast of previous articles...

Edler Revived is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2012, 10:06 AM
Moe Szyslak
Sears catalog

I'm a little concerned as to what we do when the Sedins retire.

Moe Szyslak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2012, 10:15 AM
Luck 6
\\_______

It's gonna be weird not seeing Lu in net anymore, very weird. I still really like the guy, but my gut tells me Schneider is capable of more. Live and die by Schneider now.

Luck 6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2012, 11:07 AM
Moore Money

Schneiderman Scheiderman, if he can't do it, we need a new defense.

Moore Money is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2012, 11:09 AM
ddawg1950

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moe Szyslak View Post
Pretty hard to replace two Hart Trophy winners at the same time. But that is what the draft is alll about...preparing for the future.

ddawg1950 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2012, 11:15 AM
serge2k

Quote:
Tank Edmonton style

Last edited by serge2k: 08-15-2012 at 11:21 AM.
serge2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2012, 11:41 AM
Luck 6
\\_______

Quote:
Originally Posted by serge2k View Post
Tank Edmonton style
As long as we win a cup before that happens, then fine, I accept your proposal. We'll be good for another 5 years, then tank for 4, then be good again.

Luck 6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2012, 12:46 PM
Finkle is Einhorn

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddawg1950 View Post
Pretty hard to replace two Hart Trophy winners at the same time. But that is what the draft is alll about...preparing for the future.
Thank god we only have to replace one.

Finkle is Einhorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2012, 01:02 PM
serge2k

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finkle is Einhorn View Post
Thank god we only have to replace one.
Poor Daniel, losing to a guy who had a couple of good months.

serge2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2012, 01:11 PM
TheDiver*

Quote:
Life goes on.

TheDiver* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2012, 03:15 PM
Siludin

Quote:
I'm personally a bit more concerned about the immediate 3-4 years.

Siludin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2012, 04:19 PM
NoShowWilly

Quote:
we take our beatings and re-build.

NoShowWilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2012, 04:26 PM
Vankiller Whale
Propaganda Minister

vCash: 900
Quote:
Switch to a more defensive style that depends more on team chemistry than on individual star power(a la Coyotes/Blues).

Vankiller Whale is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2012, 05:11 PM
Moe Szyslak
Sears catalog

Quote:
I'm not seeing how we are going to land Sedin quality players when we keep picking 25-29th overall.

If we do get a pick where we can draft a top player it means we either sucked so bad we got a lottery pick or we made some high value trade which means we're probably in rebuild mode.

I just don't see how we can avoid a rebuild after the twins decline.

Moe Szyslak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2012, 05:24 PM
Al Swearengen
Smug Nation National

Quote:
I'm not seeing how we are going to land Sedin quality players when we keep picking 25-29th overall.

If we do get a pick where we can draft a top player it means we either sucked so bad we got a lottery pick or we made some high value trade which means we're probably in rebuild mode.

By the time the Sedins retire, we'll be a team full of veterans... assuming we keep all of our personnel and none of our system guys make the leap. Its impossible to say what the roster will look like in 7 years or so. But yeah, logic would dictate that we wont win the conference forever. In fact, by next season (2013-14), I think the Northwest will be wide open. If we miss the playoffs in three/four years, maybe we'll look to ship out veteran guys like Kesler, Bieksa and Hamhuis for picks and prospects while hoping that Gaunce/Kassian/Tanev/Jensen/Schroeder are good enough to take us through to the next iteration of the franchise.

Al Swearengen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2012, 05:40 PM
vector209

The 2015 pick will be the next Canuck all-star. Calling it now. I see all, including this week's lotto numbers. Just wait a few days and I'll let you know what they are.

vector209 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2012, 06:09 PM
Catamarca Livin

It is not so simple as saying in a few years all of our good players will fade Schneider, Burrows, Kesler, Higgins, Hansen, Edler and Tanev will or have outplaced their expectations. Maybe Gaunce, Jensen, Kassian and Lack will do the same. The Canucks have developed players. The Redwings have developed players, the NYL's have not, the Oilers have not recently. Development is more important than drafting.
Except with all world players like Crosby, Ovy, etc.

Catamarca Livin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2012, 06:20 PM
trytobe

^ I agree. shrewd, patient asset management, strong personnel development, locker room leadership and the right coaching are the ingredients to keeping your window of opportunity open.

Asset management - know when to trade and what your needs are and set yourself up to have this flexibility when the time comes (i.e. don't have a team of 33 year olds with 12 NMC's)

Personnel development - get the most out of all your assets and prospects, give them access to everything they could possibly need and don't give them any excuse to underperform

Locker room leadership - both overrated and underrated by fans, I think the role that "locker room guys" play is to inject humor and perspective when the ship is sinking and to renew focus and motivate when everything is going right

Right coaching - nuff said. As much as we all love to s*** on AV I think he's got the right mentality; he coaches to his players' strengths. He made a pretty seamless transition from a very defensive system to a run'n'gun system as soon as his roster allowed for it.

trytobe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2012, 06:58 PM
ddawg1950

Quote:

Well the Detroit model comes to mind. But they may have to face the music this year.

Hey, it's not like this isn't problematic. Like I said, you'll be facing losing two Hart trophy winners at the same time. That will be one of the big Gillis challenges he'll have to deal in a few years, assuming he is still running the show. And the truth is, you won't replace them, you'll just have a dfferent team.

Hopefully one that is successful.

But that's sports. Hard to get to the top. Harder to stay there.

So, I don't look too far into the future...I just enjoy the present. If I spend my time worrying about what's next, it's going to compromise my ability to enjoy the present.

I'm an optimist by nature so I can accept there will be ebbs and flows.

However, after all that....I'd really like us to win the Cup in my lifetime.

ddawg1950 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2012, 12:53 AM
LeftCoast

Quote:

That's why it's important to get a young, top tier prospect in the Luongo trade.

I'm of the belief that the team will be better this year just because they will have had a long off-season to prepare. We don't necessarily need a "now" player for Luongo.

Over the next 2 or 3 seasons, several of Kassian, Schroeder, Jensen, Gaunce, Connauton and Rodin are going to force their way onto the roster, and Tanev will likely push his way up the depth chart. We have all of our draft picks next year, and with these guys pushing from below, one way or another we will have assets to trade in the next couple of drafts if we want to move up and take a franchise player.

If we get a player who is 2 - 3 years from being a top 6 NHL forward and a 2013 1st round pick for Luongo, we will have lots of assets if we want to trade up in a draft.

LeftCoast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2012, 01:50 AM
me2
Seahawks 43

vCash: 1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catamarca Livin View Post
It is not so simple as saying in a few years all of our good players will fade Schneider, Burrows, Kesler, Higgins, Hansen, Edler and Tanev will or have outplaced their expectations. Maybe Gaunce, Jensen, Kassian and Lack will do the same. The Canucks have developed players. The Redwings have developed players, the NYL's have not, the Oilers have not recently. Development is more important than drafting.
Except with all world players like Crosby, Ovy, etc.
That is it. The problem is when teams get so empty of talent there is nothing trying to replace nothing. When you have a good team you only need to replace players as needed. Ie new Sedins every 10-15 years. We've got another 4 years or so find those replacements. Detroit just kept rolling along by finding one or two good players.

me2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2012, 04:07 AM
DJOpus

No team has a endless window of opportunity, Gillis wants to mirror the Red Wings success? Get a Lidstrom, keep him until he's 40.

DJOpus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2012, 04:32 AM
Vajakki

Quote:
I'm concerned what happens if there is a lockout. The Sedins said they might not play at all if that happens (can't find a source now but it was in Swedish newspaper) and we all saw what happened with Naslund. They are about the same age now too as Naslund was back then and while they are different style of players, taking a year off from hockey in general can be devastating (as was seen with Naslund).

Needless to say that when these guys decline or quit, whether that happens in 5 years or next year, losing 2/3 of your first line, including one of the best first line centers in the league, will be a huge blow.

Vajakki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2012, 05:03 AM
HankieDankie

This is why I think it's crucial we get a good young piece back in the Luongo trade, and I think Gillis feels the same way. That's probably why he's pushing hard for Bjugstad.

Realistically though, there's no way to replace the Sedins. Right now we are a very top heavy team. Basically, we're a one line team + Kesler. We're lucky the Sedins are good enough to pull that weight. After they're gone, we're gonna have to switch to a more balanced offense. We have to hope Schneider is a franchise goaltender, and can give us great goaltending for the next ten years. We gotta hope Edler can take the next step. We have to hope someone like Jensen/Gaunce/Kassian/Schroeder pans out. I'd say we need to add at least one more elite talent, and that's assuming some of those prospects work out.

Again, very crucial to get good young pieces in the Luongo deal. Could make or break this franchise for the next 15 years.

HankieDankie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2012, 05:18 AM
Vankiller Whale
Propaganda Minister

vCash: 900
Quote:
Originally Posted by HankieDankie View Post
This is why I think it's crucial we get a good young piece back in the Luongo trade, and I think Gillis feels the same way. That's probably why he's pushing hard for Bjugstad.

Realistically though, there's no way to replace the Sedins. Right now we are a very top heavy team. Basically, we're a one line team + Kesler. We're lucky the Sedins are good enough to pull that weight. After they're gone, we're gonna have to switch to a more balanced offense. We have to hope Schneider is a franchise goaltender, and can give us great goaltending for the next ten years. We gotta hope Edler can take the next step. We have to hope someone like Jensen/Gaunce/Kassian/Schroeder pans out. I'd say we need to add at least one more elite talent, and that's assuming some of those prospects work out.

Again, very crucial to get good young pieces in the Luongo deal. Could make or break this franchise for the next 15 years.
Trade Edler for Yakupov.

Vankiller Whale is online now   Reply With Quote