HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Max Pacioretty signed for 6 years!! ($27M/$4.5M per)

Old
08-15-2012, 03:28 PM
guest1467

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by shamrun View Post
wow
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miller Time View Post
brian wilde tweeted a comment from PAtches that once again confirms what was evident to all but the most ardent kool aid drinkers...
Actually, that was a completely irrelevant tweet and the fact that people can't even comprehend the reasons behind it is sad.

When, exactly, was the previous management supposed to lock up Pacioretty long term? While he was scoring 10 goals a year on the third line, or when he was sitting in a hospital bed with a broken neck?

Give me a break, jeez.

-----

The guy put up 50 points and change over three seasons. Then he broke his neck. Tell me exactly when YOU would have liked to lock up Pacioretty to multi-year contracts.

guest1467 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2012, 04:50 PM
Born in 1909
Hockey Royalty

Don't do HF in August, (personally)...

... but this great new calls for a celebration!

Probably my fav Hab right now.

Max!!!!!

Born in 1909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2012, 06:07 PM
Miller Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by LyricalLyricist View Post
Yah no kidding. I don't understand. I don't like Gauthier AT ALL but he wasn't even allowed. I mean, it's like *****ing we didn't sign galchenyuk before we drafted him.

do you really think that negotiations with players for extensions/new contracts only begin AFTER the date they are eligible to re-sign?

and really, comments like the one Patches made are completely unnecessary... take a wild guess why a guy who just signed the biggest contract of his life feels the need to take a parting shot at a long gone management group... amounts to dancing on the grave, which only happens if it really was THAT bad.

Miller Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2012, 09:38 PM
Andy

I wonder what people would have preferred. The habs sign Pacioretty for two more years after this season. Then at 25, you sign him long term (6 years) so that you can keep him longer before he reaches UFA.

Right now Pacioretty will be UFA at 30, where he will probably have some good years left. The other way, you'd get him for an extra two years.

The downside I guess is that if Pacioretty explodes in the next two years on a shorter contract, that his next one will be more expensive.

Andy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2012, 09:48 PM
LyricalLyricist

vCash: 50
Quote:
do you really think that negotiations with players for extensions/new contracts only begin AFTER the date they are eligible to re-sign?

and really, comments like the one Patches made are completely unnecessary... take a wild guess why a guy who just signed the biggest contract of his life feels the need to take a parting shot at a long gone management group... amounts to dancing on the grave, which only happens if it really was THAT bad.
People are trying too hard. How do you know Gauthier wouldn't have approached him with a long term deal come June? I REALLY don't like Gauthier but was he supposed to negotiate an extension in january just to have it signed 6 months later?

LyricalLyricist is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2012, 10:26 PM
NewHabsEra*

WoW, Flyers just signed Simmonds for 6 years at 4M per.. It makes Bergevin looks like a genius since Pac is a WAY better hockey player!!!

NewHabsEra* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2012, 11:32 PM
Rise from the Ashes
@JoelGabbayNHL

Send a message via MSN to Rise from the Ashes
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewHabsEra View Post
WoW, Flyers just signed Simmonds for 6 years at 4M per.. It makes Bergevin looks like a genius since Pac is a WAY better hockey player!!!
Depends really. Simmonds is great at areas Max isnt and vice versa. Simmonds is definitely worth 4 million.

Rise from the Ashes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2012, 11:37 PM
Myron Gaines*
Trop Giou

Simmonds is coming off a 28 goal season.

Myron Gaines* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2012, 11:52 PM
Dagistitsyn

Simmonds is a great player, one of my favourites. 4 Mill might be a little bit over payment but I doubt Philly fans are complaining.

Dagistitsyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2012, 02:02 AM
WhiskeySeven
Enlarged Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by buddahsmoka1 View Post
Actually, that was a completely irrelevant tweet and the fact that people can't even comprehend the reasons behind it is sad.

When, exactly, was the previous management supposed to lock up Pacioretty long term? While he was scoring 10 goals a year on the third line, or when he was sitting in a hospital bed with a broken neck?

Give me a break, jeez.

-----

The guy put up 50 points and change over three seasons. Then he broke his neck. Tell me exactly when YOU would have liked to lock up Pacioretty to multi-year contracts.
Exactly what I was going to post. Reasonable criticism is all right and fine - like not even opening conversation with Wizniewski was a bad move - but aimless, pointless bashing is just juvenile.

Brian Wilde has made a series of un-professional moves using his professional platforms, he's a zero in my book.

WhiskeySeven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2012, 05:43 AM
Kimota
Nation of Poutine

Quote:
Originally Posted by the View Post
That's what I call a nice contract, it's rare when we have a good deal here in Montreal enjoy!
That is so true.

I can't remember a deal since the Gainey era where we have not got ****ed.

Kimota is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2012, 06:01 AM
Kriss E

Quote:

Humm maybe not exactly after the date of eligibility, but around it, ya.
And im sure in some cases they do start working on extensions after the date.
You can have preliminary talks with the player before, see if he'd be interested in an extension.

Really I don't see what's hard to believe here..

Kriss E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2012, 06:10 AM
Crimson Skorpion
Global Moderator

vCash: 50
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimota View Post
That is so true.

I can't remember a deal since the Gainey era where we have not got ****ed.
Josh Gorges at $3.9 million per year, over the next six years ain't too shabby.

Old
08-16-2012, 06:57 AM
JMMR

Send a message via MSN to JMMR Send a message via Yahoo to JMMR
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habaneros View Post
your still selling DD for dimes.....

You seen his point total this year ,and he and Pacman wasn't put together until???DECEMBER...

Martin finally clued..

He is goona get 100 pts in NHL...i know what i see..

Your the type to likely say way back Martin ST Louis is only a 40 pts man potential.

DD got something special ,open your eyes.
I assume your just baiting me, you can't honestly believe DD = Malkin, Crosby, Ovechkin, Backstrom and Sedin in ability to produce.
It simply is not possible.

JMMR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2012, 07:33 AM
PricePkPatch

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMMR View Post
I assume your just baiting me, you can't honestly believe DD = Malkin, Crosby, Ovechkin, Backstrom and Sedin in ability to produce.
While i believe 100 pts is a stretch, the plain truth is that we haven't seen a limit on his upside at the moment.

You may draw a line in the sand about where he'll cap, but itll be purely at random. The kid is still young and may yet improve, hone his play.

PricePkPatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2012, 07:36 AM
1UP

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMMR View Post
Let's settle for St-Louis. Now, does he have St-Louis's drive, vision, and raw skill to finish 1st in scoring in the NHL for a year? I personally doubt the vision and raw skill part, but not the drive.

So he's a longshot to what would be an absolutely epic achievement, but at least that's not going to prevent him from trying. That's why I'd like to see the guy signed long term. He's still improving, and might cost more in the future.

1UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2012, 07:41 AM
Ohashi_Jouzu

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1UP View Post
Let's settle for St-Louis.
Yeah, a former Art Ross and Hart Trophy winner... "Settle". More like pray.

Ohashi_Jouzu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2012, 08:01 AM
Kjell Dahlin

Quote:
Originally Posted by buddahsmoka1 View Post

Give me a break, jeez.

-----

You wrote: "... When, exactly, was the previous management supposed to lock up Pacioretty long term? While he was scoring 10 goals a year on the third line, or when he was sitting in a hospital bed with a broken neck? ..." and "... The guy put up 50 points and change over three seasons. Then he broke his neck. Tell me exactly when YOU would have liked to lock up Pacioretty to multi-year contracts?".

Good question!

I disliked Gauthier's inability to build a proper D squad, his obsession with former, colorless and bland Sens (the Montreal Senators!) and, in retrospect, his very rigid vertical style of management but he gave us plenty of top draft picks in 2012 and 2013, Eller, Cole, he inked Gorges long terms, he finally convinced Emelin to cross the ocean, he got rid of a very heavy contract (high maintenance Cammalleri) in return for a good pick, a good prospect and a guy who will give you 20-25 goals per season...

I think we can all agree that Bergevin is on his way to completely surpass the combined achievements of Gauthier and Gainey but I really don't understand the people who are using this great (GREAT!) signing (Pacioretty) to bash, again and ad nauseam, the former regime.

I also hope that people will realise that, prior to this summer, "locking " Pacioretty to a multi-years contract was not realistic (ref.: quote above) both from the team and player's perspectives.

That being mentioned... PK PK PK!

Kjell Dahlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2012, 08:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewHabsEra View Post
I don't know about that...who wouldn't want Wayne Simmonds on their team? I think the Habs would be more than willing to pay a higher averag salary for what he can bring.

Simmonds is probably one of my favorite NHL players...I don't think anyone is better at scoring goals in tough areas as he is.

417 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2012, 10:12 AM
Kriss E

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1UP View Post
Let's settle for St-Louis. Now, does he have St-Louis's drive, vision, and raw skill to finish 1st in scoring in the NHL for a year? I personally doubt the vision and raw skill part, but not the drive.

So he's a longshot to what would be an absolutely epic achievement, but at least that's not going to prevent him from trying. That's why I'd like to see the guy signed long term. He's still improving, and might cost more in the future.
What people seriously forget when speaking about DD's upside is that he benefited from playing versus weaker opponents, and getting a lot of offensive zone starts.
Whenever his line took defensive draws, they weren't as dominant.

Let's hope he can beat out Plekanec first. Let him repeat his production versus tougher opponents without benefiting from the offensive zone starts, and then we can talk about higher upside.

Kriss E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2012, 12:03 PM
Dr Gonzo
#1 Jan Bulis Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerk Store View Post
Good contract for a very good player
Yup, especially since the NHL wants to bring the cap down to roughly $50M.

http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/spo...166405146.html

So every single million counts.

If the owners get their way, we are going to be loving this contract even more than we are now!

Dr Gonzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2012, 01:55 PM
SOLR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Gonzo View Post
Yup, especially since the NHL wants to bring the cap down to roughly $50M.

http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/spo...166405146.html

So every single million counts.

If the owners get their way, we are going to be loving this contract even more than we are now!
The cap going down doesn't change a thing, every players will get the same % they have under the current cap. Therefore we won't like the contract more, it will still be around 6.1% of our cap space. The only one who will like the contract more is Molson.

SOLR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2012, 01:58 PM
Dr Gonzo
#1 Jan Bulis Fan

I get that, but I doubt new contracts would follow the same scaling back. I could foresee teams going straight back to offering high $ amounts, just like what they did after the last lockout, thus rendering Pacioretty's contract a real bargain.

Dr Gonzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2012, 03:51 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrowe21 View Post
Simmonds is a great player, one of my favourites. 4 Mill might be a little bit over payment but I doubt Philly fans are complaining.
Huh? Simmonds is a great player? like really?

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2012, 03:54 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by 417 View Post
I don't know about that...who wouldn't want Wayne Simmonds on their team? I think the Habs would be more than willing to pay a higher averag salary for what he can bring.

Simmonds is probably one of my favorite NHL players...I don't think anyone is better at scoring goals in tough areas as he is.
Simmonds might get more if he was a UFA, but as a "re sign" it's not a huge bargain. Before last year he had 39 NHL goals in 240 games, so 28 might be an aberration and he goes back to 15-20.

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote