HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

David Desharnais next contract

Old
08-15-2012, 08:12 PM
LyricalLyricist

vCash: 1100
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewHabsEra View Post
I cant wait to see Desharnais without Cole and/or Pac so that people starts to realize DD's weakness.. You put Pleks between those guys and not only he would produce just as much or even more offensively than DD but the line becomes way more overall effective straight off the bat!!

Giving more than 2M to DD would be a mistake since a Gally Pleks Eller center line is much more interesting for the future of this team...

Reading some posters, there is no doubts that Desharnais has become grossly overrated over here..
So if Desharnais gets 2.1 he becomes a long time fixture? He's not movable at that price! It's not like he played wing before or anything. It's not like he had 0.51 PPG before cole was even with the habs.

Suppose that trio is the perfect trio down the middle and galchenyuk becomes a 1st line center and so on and so forth. While I understand in your image DD isn't a fit, by same token it's laughable that giving the guy 'more than 2M would be a mistake'. Yah, as if we'll have such a hard time moving a 40-60 point center/winger at 2 or so mil per.

If I had to choose today between Desharnais and Eller I choose Desharnais. That's if you don't count galchenyuk or plekanec. I'd rather have Desharnais as a #1 center over Eller. Now, if you ask what about Plekanec and Galchenyuk, what if they make it? Well, I'd rather trade plekanec when all is said and done to fix another need and go with galchenyuk-dd-eller down the middle(this is assuming gally reaches his upside). At no point do I think "Uh oh, dd has to go!" There's no reason to think that, he's versatile, hard working and creative.

LyricalLyricist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2012, 08:24 PM
thebinne4pres

vCash: 500
Desharnais.....

Okay, our depth at center is good right now.
Good depth at defense

Winger.....not so much.....but we got a couple of good prospect:

Gallagher 5'8"
Collberg 5'11"
Kristo 5'10"
Hudon 5'10"

Before signing Desharnais, i wanna make sure he can keep up the good play without either Cole or Pacioretty.......you cannot sign long term the only center who won't be able to form a good line with most of your future on the wings without knowing he's able to put up point as he did last season on a "not playing with two powerforward line".

thebinne4pres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2012, 09:08 PM
MXD

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebinne4pres View Post
Desharnais.....

Okay, our depth at center is good right now.
Good depth at defense

Winger.....not so much.....but we got a couple of good prospect:

Gallagher 5'8"
Collberg 5'11"
Kristo 5'10"
Hudon 5'10"

Before signing Desharnais, i wanna make sure he can keep up the good play without either Cole or Pacioretty.......you cannot sign long term the only center who won't be able to form a good line with most of your future on the wings without knowing he's able to put up point as he did last season on a "not playing with two powerforward line".
Well, he kept a .51 PPG while playing 3rd/4th line with Benoit Pouliot and Mathieu Darche, so...

MXD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2012, 10:12 PM
NewHabsEra*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soltantgris View Post
Maybe. But I do remember that DD played his first half-year with garbage linemate, 8-9 minute per game, and still managed to produced at a 0.5ppg rate.

While getting premium PP time..

He's my favorite habs, as I see him like a potential stars in this ligue.
Outch, prepare yourself to be desapointed..

Im not saying he is a bad player, he never stopped improving and he deserves alot of credit for doing it.. But when you look at the situation coldly (cause believe it or not Im a fan of his determination and personality), DD remains a pretty average skater for a such undersized little man and his shot isnt a threat for the opponents at all.. Still, I think some people just dont realize all the space both Cole and Pac create on the ice with their combinaison of size, speed and talent, what gives DD more time to make his plays.. you put Plekanec between those 2 guys and I would bet my house that this line would kill the competition every shifts at both ends of the ice.. Anyway, as long as DD will play between Cole and Pac he has no reason to be worried, his wingers create enough of room for him to showcase his playmaking skills..

NewHabsEra* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2012, 10:45 PM
NH57
Habs 4 Life

I believe both Desharnais and Pacioretty will exceed 70 points this year. It would be smart to lock up Desharnais now. I'd say $16m over 4 years.

NH57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2012, 10:57 PM
LyricalLyricist

Quote:

Im not saying he is a bad player, he never stopped improving and he deserves alot of credit for doing it.. But when you look at the situation coldly (cause believe it or not Im a fan of his determination and personality), DD remains a pretty average skater for a such undersized little man and his shot isnt a threat for the opponents at all.. Still, I think some people just dont realize all the space both Cole and Pac create on the ice with their combinaison of size, speed and talent, what gives DD more time to make his plays.. you put Plekanec between those 2 guys and I would bet my house that this line would kill the competition every shifts at both ends of the ice.. Anyway, as long as DD will play between Cole and Pac he has no reason to be worried, his wingers create enough of room for him to showcase his playmaking skills..
So how many points do you see him making this year?

Old
08-15-2012, 11:07 PM
NewHabsEra*

Quote:
Originally Posted by noahhabib View Post
I believe both Desharnais and Pacioretty will exceed 70 points this year. It would be smart to lock up Desharnais now. I'd say $16m over 4 years.
I never do it, but I put this thread in my fav.. It will be funny to come back on this one..

Old
08-15-2012, 11:08 PM
Hawkguy
Hockey's Back!!

Quote:

I hope he gets put with Bourque and Gionta.. just to hear your excuses when he still puts up the points.

"Bourque is huge, he creates space and Gionta is so fast that they have to worry about him.. that gives DD time to make plays..." lol

Hawkguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2012, 11:11 PM
BigTime

sign him now 3yrs 3.3 per

BigTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2012, 11:20 PM
NewHabsEra*

Quote:
Originally Posted by HawkeyeCB View Post
I hope he gets put with Bourque and Gionta.. just to hear your excuses when he still puts up the points.

"Bourque is huge, he creates space and Gionta is so fast that they have to worry about him.. that gives DD time to make plays..." lol
Desharnais playing with Bourque = huge defensive desaster.. This line would get eat alive..

Old
08-15-2012, 11:25 PM
LyricalLyricist

Quote:
Desharnais playing with Bourque = huge defensive desaster.. This line would get eat alive..
How about say Pacioretty-Desharnais-Gionta.

2 small guys. I think that can work too...Not suggesting it but they will be good enough two-way line with offensive ability. Again, not a suggestion just saying put 1 big guy 1 small and I don't feel worried at all.

Old
08-15-2012, 11:42 PM
Hawkguy
Hockey's Back!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LyricalLyricist View Post

2 small guys. I think that can work too...Not suggesting it but they will be good enough two-way line with offensive ability. Again, not a suggestion just saying put 1 big guy 1 small and I don't feel worried at all.
Not fair, Pacioretty still creates too much space for Desharnais.

He needs to play with Gallagher and Gionta to get any credit.

Quote:
I guess Desharnais isn't ever going to improve.. He already made a lot of strides defensively last season.

Hawkguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2012, 01:05 AM
NewHabsEra*

Quote:
Originally Posted by LyricalLyricist View Post

Yes that line could work well since Gionta is very fast, defensively very responsible and plays big for his size.. Then you give Pleks a solid guy in Cole but you still need to find a guy who will complement that line and Im not sure the solution is inside the org. right now.. Ideally a guy like Doan would be a perfect complement for those guys but he is far from being signed yet.. Ive 0 faith in Bourque.. Maybe a guy like Leblanc or Gallagher could do the job but theres no guarentee at this point..

My point regarding Desharnais is not short term issue, cause we have what it takes to surround him properly, its more about a mid - long term vision now that we have Gally in the system and that his chances to crack the line-up next year (2013-14) are pretty good.. My point is, do you want Gally to center our third line next year with marginal wingers to play with or you want to give the kid some of our best players to put him in a winning situation right from the start? I mean, can we agree that Desharnais has to play with our best wingers to succeed? Do you really see him centering our third or fourth line? No question, to be useful to the team, DD need to play on the top 2 lines with proper linemates and get ton of PP time.. The prob (my prob at least), if you want to keep him with the team, you need to send a respected vet like Plekanec, who can do an indredible job centering a second line on about every NHL teams, centering the third line to do the dirty job of trying to form a realiable line with unproven or more defensively minded wingers.. Frankly, Plekanec doesnt deserved it, there is no way he will accept a such downgrade and Im quite in agreement with this.. So you have 4 names for 3 spots in the hat (3 first centers).. Gally Pleks Desharnais Eller.. I know some of you are in total love with DD, but to me there is no question, Plekanec is the best overall player of the 2 and should remains on the top 6 of this team.. Then you have DD vs Gally for the other spot on the top 6, Eller could be also in the mix then as he is a big skilled kid with ton of upside.. Who do you rather have between the 3? Its too soon to tell but one thing we know, Eller can do the dirty job on the third line, he brings something this line-up lacks down the middle, a big body presence responsible defensively and tough to play against.. So Im not a predicator but I can read between the lines, unless Eller is moved on the wings for good and that the org. takes the decision to play Gally on the third line to start his NHL carreer next year, DD has very slim chances to survive here very long unless he keeps improving at the point where management starts thinking about moving Plekanec, what is very very unlikely IMO.

Last edited by NewHabsEra*: 08-16-2012 at 01:25 AM.
Old
08-16-2012, 01:05 AM
MasterDecoy
Carlos Danger

vCash: 1707
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey View Post
I have a weird hunch that in the next 2 seasons, in one of them DD won't crack 40 points

Not saying I don't believe in the guy. But, just a feeling i have about him
i understand...

i don't share that opinion, but somewhere deep down in the cockles of my heart, i got weird feeling about desh...

i have funny feeling saying that patches will be a consistent 30-35 goal scorer, but i got one saying desharnais will be a consistent 70 point player

MasterDecoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2012, 01:15 AM
MasterDecoy
Carlos Danger

Quote:

he is an average skater and if mathman was around, he'll put out charts and graphs to show you that the one or two game plekanec was put with patches and cole, they did **** the opposition.

the thing about his shot though i somewhat disagree, he's got a good shot (from his hamilton days) but for some reason, he has decided to basically never shoot the puck in the nhl. instead of "shots", Desh's song is "pass pass pass pass pass pass". hopefully he'll start shooting more this season and prove you wrong

Old
08-16-2012, 01:51 AM
Neutrino

If Ribeiro can be a productive player in this league, Desharnais can too.

Don't tell me Ribs is tougher or more talented. And they broke out at a similar age.

50 pts minimum every year, that's nothing to scoff at...

Neutrino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2012, 05:37 AM
PKSUBBAN 76
Rookie User

Plekanec is much better the desharnais so 3 million a year for five years

PKSUBBAN 76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2012, 05:42 AM
Harpo
Lyle forever

Quote:
Originally Posted by PKSUBBAN 76 View Post
Desharnais is much better than Gomez so 8 million a year for five years

Harpo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2012, 05:49 AM
PKSUBBAN 76
Rookie User

Eller will be better the Desharnais

Old
08-16-2012, 05:57 AM
MasterDecoy
Carlos Danger

Quote:
Eller will be better the Desharnais
they are different kind of players so im not really sure what "better" means...

eller will always be better defensively and has better goal scoring ability but i have serious doubts that he will ever approach desharnais in terms of vision and hockey IQ

Old
08-16-2012, 06:00 AM
PKSUBBAN 76
Rookie User

all around i mean

Old
08-16-2012, 06:12 AM
PricePkPatch

Quote:
all around i mean
Who would you put at 0:30 of the end of the game we are behind 3-4?

PricePkPatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2012, 06:19 AM
PKSUBBAN 76
Rookie User

i said will be

Old
08-16-2012, 06:34 AM
The Gal Pals
Breaking Hab

vCash: 1591
I think he can be lowballed because he's short so he can't bring that physical dimension; he's making only 875K and a huge increase isn't necessary. I think he can be signed for multiple seasons at $2.5M per.

The Gal Pals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2012, 06:37 AM
MXD

Quote:
Then DD just doesn't sign.

(If he has a similar year than the one he had last year)

MXD is offline   Reply With Quote