HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

Wayne Simmonds Signs Extension (per media: 6 years, $3.84m cap hit)

Old
08-16-2012, 12:08 AM
turkinaa

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYguy3911 View Post
How long before we trade him?
This is what I was thinking. Lock 'em up, trade 'em out.

turkinaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2012, 12:08 AM
healthyscratch

Awesome.

healthyscratch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2012, 12:10 AM
FLYguy3911

Quote:
Originally Posted by sm0ka47 View Post
His slap shot isn't Hartnell's but his wrist shot is very sneaky and underrated. But he will always be the garbage goal scorer.
Disagree. It's hard at times but he's not precise and he doesn't have a quick release to get it off in tight areas. I just went back and checked all his goals from this season. Three came from wrist shots. One against Rynnas who left the top corner wide open (he was left all alone too). Another was a weak wrister with a screen in front. And the last one was a scramble in front of the net, the goalie was down and out, and he wristed it top shelf from the slot. BTW its amazing how many dirty goals he gets. A modern day Knuble!!!

FLYguy3911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2012, 12:18 AM
Sawdalite
AbleWasIEreISawLupul

Quote:
Originally Posted by dookie88 View Post
Good deal for both parties.
Simmonds would make more than this if last season would be the norm for him. I'm ok with paying him $3.8m per year if he can provide 20 goals and be a pain for the other team night in and night out.

As far as the Hartnell scenario, I hope we don't see the same situation with Hartnell-Perry as we saw with Carle-Suter. Meaning we go all-in on Perry in free agency and have Hartnell as back-up plan who will then decide to sign somewhere else.
I don't think the situations are 100% comparable but there is a chance it'll develop similarly.
FWIW, I honestly believe that Homer had Weber 100% in his sights... figuring Suter was staying out West... and that he was going to get Weber by hook (trade) or by crook (OfferSheet). I originally thought Carle was plan B to Suter also, but once the Weber ordeal began it dawned on me that Carle had to be passed over on in order to nab Weber... or at least try to do so.

As for Harnell... My guess is that it never gets that far and Homer gets him inked longer before he sniffs the Market... Also, Forwards are much different than D-men in that there is more flexibility in fitting another in while keeping what quality you have, and there is not the over budget situation that Homer has with Cap Space/Salary allocated to his D... If Homer and the Organization wants Hartsy and he is willing to work with the Flyers, I bet he is signed.

Last edited by Sawdalite: 08-16-2012 at 01:08 AM.
Sawdalite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2012, 12:56 AM
dookie88

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawdalite View Post
FWIW, I honestly believe that Homer had Weber 100% in his sights... figuring Suter was staying out West... and that he was going to get Weber by hook (trade) or by crook (OfferSheet). I originally thought Carle was plan B to Suter also, but once the Weber ordeal began it dawned on me that Carle had to be passed over on in order to nab Weber... or at least try to do so.
My feeling is still that Carle was plan B to Suter.
The OS for Weber was just something Homer had to do, because you probably get a shot at that kind of a defender every 5 years or so. It's hypothetical but just imagine our D with Carle and Weber. Unreal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawdalite View Post
As for Harnell... My guess is that it never gets hat far and Homer gets him inked longer before he sniffs the Market... Also, Forwards are much different than D-men in that there is more flexibility in fitting another in while keeping what quality you have, and there is not the over budget situation that Homer has with Cap Space/Salary allocated to his D... If Homer and the Organization wants Hartsy and he is willing to work with the Flyers, I bet he is signed.
Same thing could be said about Carle.
Everything indicates that he'd really liked to stay with the Flyers and I think we could'v signed him for $5m x 5 years. But Homer chose to go after Suter first. I truly believe Carle could've signed with another team as early as July 1st but he waited a lot longer just to keep himself open to resign with the Flyers.

dookie88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2012, 02:40 AM
CanadianFlyer88
Knublin' PPs

vCash: 955
Great cap hit.

Very pleased with this signing.

08-16-2012, 02:42 AM
dats81

Solid signing, i.e. if Simmonds can establish himself as a top-6 power forward long term.

dats81 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2012, 03:30 AM
mirimon

I'm ok with this. Even though I have my doubts that Simmonds will produce quite as much goals as he did last season, he brings other stuff to the table as well. He didn't impress much defensively last season, but that might have been due somewhat to going from the Kings defense first system to the more free roaming one Laviolette employs. He played quite some time on a line with Handzus when on the Kings, I believe, so hopefully he picked up a thing or two from him. I'm not counting on Simmonds to become a Selke caliber player, but if he can develop into a strong two-way winger this deal will be just fine, even if he won't reproduce the offense from last season.

mirimon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2012, 07:04 AM
thelos
Bunk

Good price for that length of a deal.

Hopefully we get Hartnell signed next

thelos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2012, 07:09 AM
Hockeypete49
How you like me now!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sm0ka47 View Post
Good job to go ahead and lock him up before the end of next year. If he has a another career year this coming up year he could of been more expensive.
I agree 100%. He will be only 30 when his contract runs out. Homer has to get a ton of credit for this move. Well done. Now in the next year or so let's see what he does for Giroux!

Last edited by Hockeypete49: 08-16-2012 at 07:28 AM.
Hockeypete49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2012, 07:20 AM
Hockeypete49
How you like me now!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieGirl View Post
Difference is that Hartnell has proven that he's worth his pay. Simmonds had a career year. Here's hoping he proves it wasn't a fluke. He has a long way to go before he can replace Hartnell though.
I agree with you to a point. But this kid is no one year wonder. The way he is on and off the ice and in the community shows me that this 23 year young man wants only to get better and better. I hope that Hartnell is here for years to come also as he shows no sign of slowing down. But $3.84mill. for six years is a bargin for Simmer.

Hockeypete49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2012, 07:33 AM
jd2210
Registered Non User

Aaaaaaand hes traded.

Just kidding.

I love the deal and I love the player. Not a bad cap hit for everything he provides.

jd2210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2012, 08:55 AM
hckyplayer8
He's Gone!

Zero reason to keep Harts now. Really should unload him while his value is at a all time high.

hckyplayer8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2012, 08:56 AM
CharlieGirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by hckyplayer8 View Post
Zero reason to keep Harts now. Really should unload him while his value is at a all time high.
Hartnell is one of the very, very few forwards who has a clue defensively. He's very much needed at the moment.

CharlieGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2012, 09:13 AM
dats81

Quote:
Originally Posted by hckyplayer8 View Post
We extended a right wing and therefore it's time to trade a left wing...based on what logic?

dats81 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2012, 09:15 AM
Whiskeypete

good for Simmer. still a favorite and missing him in LA. good long-term signing for PHI. pray he doesn't get traded within the year

Whiskeypete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2012, 09:19 AM
JonL1421

So far, the trades of Richards and Carter have looked brilliant. Not only have the Flyers solidified their forwards with Simmonds, B.Schenn, Voracek and Couturier, they had the money to sign Bryzgalov. Once he gets comfortable in Philadelphia - hopefully soon - Holmgren got 5 NHL-calibre players for 2. Most GMs won't achieve such a feat in their career; Holmgren did so in one day. Major props to our scouting staff for the work they do behind the scenes.

JonL1421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2012, 09:30 AM
bennysflyers16

vCash: 50
Quote:
Hartnell is one of the very, very few forwards who has a clue defensively. He's very much needed at the moment.
This, I am guessing an extension soon for Harts and maybe even giving him the "C" .

bennysflyers16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2012, 09:33 AM
CharlieGirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonL1421 View Post
So far, the trades of Richards and Carter have looked brilliant. Not only have the Flyers solidified their forwards with Simmonds, B.Schenn, Voracek and Couturier, they had the money to sign Bryzgalov. Once he gets comfortable in Philadelphia - hopefully soon - Holmgren got 5 NHL-calibre players for 2. Most GMs won't achieve such a feat in their career; Holmgren did so in one day. Major props to our scouting staff for the work they do behind the scenes.
Two differences: Those 5 players come with a much higher cap hit (hell, pick any two in a year or two), and Richards/Carter have a Cup. Until the Flyers also raise the Cup, the term "brilliant" is a huge exaggeration.

Old
08-16-2012, 09:34 AM
CharlieGirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bennysflyers16 View Post
This, I am guessing an extension soon for Harts and maybe even giving him the "C" .
Definitely. If the C doesn't go to Timonen this year, Hartnell is next on my list.

Old
08-16-2012, 09:34 AM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonL1421 View Post
You can add Grossmann as a trade byproduct. Cousins might eventually be a regular as well.

I'm sure though if the Flyers had known in advance that the D would take such a big hit..they would have netted a D man above and beyond Grossmann who again was just a byproduct of the initial trade. It's possible 1 of the 4 players (Simmonds, Schenn, Voracek, Couts) still gets leveraged in the future although I hope to keep all 4 and hope they all flourish with the Flyers. If we had gotten Weber we would be sitting pretty sweet. It's going to be tough being a legit contender with no real number 1 D man...a D by committee will only get you so far.

FreshPerspective is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2012, 09:44 AM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

Quote:
Two differences: Those 5 players come with a much higher cap hit (hell, pick any two in a year or two), and Richards/Carter have a Cup. Until the Flyers also raise the Cup, the term "brilliant" is a huge exaggeration.
Obviously you set the bar very high with respect to the trade which is fine....however the trade was smart and savvy and necessary..regardless. They got depth and younger and extended their window for sucess. Sure we all want a cup but I think it's a bit too one-sided to judge it solely on whether they win a cup with the players they got although many of us did it with Pronger including myself but it was mostly b/c we gave up a lot for an aging D man. Now it's obviously not looking like a great move but only b/c a worst case scenario actually materialized which sucks something bad and set the Flyers back no doubt...almost pulled it off though until Leighton imploded and the team apart from one line (Briere line) was gassed (Richards) or playing hurt (Pronger, Carter etc.)

FreshPerspective is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2012, 10:02 AM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Wing or Retire!

vCash: 156
Quote:
Yes, this absolutely. Losing Hartnell is a step backwards.

08-16-2012, 10:03 AM
CharlieGirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coutsiephan View Post
Obviously you set the bar very high with respect to the trade which is fine....however the trade was smart and savvy and necessary..regardless. They got depth and younger and extended their window for sucess. Sure we all want a cup but I think it's a bit too one-sided to judge it solely on whether they win a cup with the players they got although many of us did it with Pronger including myself but it was mostly b/c we gave up a lot for an aging D man. Now it's obviously not looking like a great move but only b/c a worst case scenario actually materialized which sucks something bad and set the Flyers back no doubt...almost pulled it off though until Leighton imploded and the team apart from one line (Briere line) was gassed (Richards) or playing hurt (Pronger, Carter etc.)
I agree that the trades were savvy, smart, and necessary (although only necessary due to prior screwups and the mindboggling need to throw in a 2nd round pick with every deal).

The term "brilliant" gets thrown around far too much around here when discussing a GM who has had his ups and downs, but has not brought a Cup yet, nor does it look like one is in the immediate future. And the team now needs to go through another mini-rebuild.

Old
08-16-2012, 10:14 AM
DrHamburg

Quote:
I agree that the trades were savvy, smart, and necessary (although only necessary due to prior screwups and the mindboggling need to throw in a 2nd round pick with every deal).

The term "brilliant" gets thrown around far too much around here when discussing a GM who has had his ups and downs, but has not brought a Cup yet, nor does it look like one is in the immediate future. And the team now needs to go through another mini-rebuild.
Schenn, Grossman, Simmonds, Voracek, Couts, and Cousins for Carter and Richards wasn't brilliant? :S It is so hard to win the cup. Yes, the Kings did win the cup with those two guys, but it is so much different. In Philly Carter and Richards were the main players on the team that HAD to get it done. With the Kings their defense and Quick, and Richards and Carter being 2nd line guys was just a bonus the kings had. Only way the Flyers could have won the cup with Richards and Carter was to strike Quick gold in the draft for a goalie.

DrHamburg is offline   Reply With Quote