HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > International Tournaments
International Tournaments Discuss international tournaments such as the World Juniors, Olympic hockey, and Ice Hockey World Championships, as they take place; or discuss past tournaments.

Canada's goaltending since 2010

Old
08-14-2012, 12:06 AM
espo*

vCash: 500
I'll believe it when I see it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Someguy View Post
This is what I keep hearing.

espo* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2012, 12:15 AM
KevyD
Make It 30!!!!

Thank God you only need 1 goalie. And, based on our offensive and defensive talent, we only need a average one. I would rather see us struggle (AND LEARN) against Russia now than against the U.S., Russia and Sweden in 6 months.

Last edited by KevyD: 08-14-2012 at 12:22 AM.
KevyD is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2012, 09:32 PM
Rob

Subban fits the bill nicely.

Rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2012, 09:39 PM
KevyD
Make It 30!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob View Post
Subban fits the bill nicely.
He did tonight. As I said elsewhere, shows what we are capable of with "adequate" goaltending.

KevyD is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2012, 09:45 PM
TonsofPuppies*
#ThePriceIsRight

Subban was solid. Finished his two games with a .920+ save percentage. If we can get that level of goaltending, we should be in the hunt for the gold in Ufa. Even if we can get around .910, we should be good.

TonsofPuppies* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2012, 12:12 PM
wings5

Interesting article on the matter.

http://www.hockeysfuture.com/article...alies-and-gold

wings5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-20-2012, 06:28 PM
TonsofPuppies*
#ThePriceIsRight

Well, it's WJC time, so that means this thread needs it's annual bump. LOL Subban. Oh, how times change. I stated in the summer that he looked solid, but that's no longer the case, it seems. Just awful GWG surrendered to Finland today.

Old
12-20-2012, 07:57 PM
Royal Canuck
#Shinkaruk4Calder

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by TonsofPuppies View Post
Well, it's WJC time, so that means this thread needs it's annual bump. LOL Subban. Oh, how times change. I stated in the summer that he looked solid, but that's no longer the case, it seems. Just awful GWG surrendered to Finland today.
Wasn't "awful" , it was a nice shot but Subban should've stopped it. He was left out to dry on the other 2 goals, both coming on a 5on3 powerplay where he really stood no chance. I still believe Subban should be the #1 goalie, I think our team needs to learn to stop taking penalties and drive shooters to the outside and not give them the slot.

Twitter |HFBoards Contact | Blog
Xbox Live Gamertag: "CxC Canuck"
"Everybody says be a good loser; I think if you're a good loser, you're a loser. " - John Tortorella
Royal Canuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-20-2012, 09:19 PM
TonsofPuppies*
#ThePriceIsRight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royal Canuck View Post
Wasn't "awful" , it was a nice shot but Subban should've stopped it. He was left out to dry on the other 2 goals, both coming on a 5on3 powerplay where he really stood no chance. I still believe Subban should be the #1 goalie, I think our team needs to learn to stop taking penalties and drive shooters to the outside and not give them the slot.
Both the second and third goals were weak. The third was far from a "nice shot". It should have been a routine save and nothing more. Not that all the blame should be placed on Subban, as the entire team played poorly, but with an adequate goaltender, we win that game 2-1.

Old
12-20-2012, 10:05 PM
WeThreeKings

Send a message via MSN to WeThreeKings
Quote:
Originally Posted by Royal Canuck View Post
No, it was awful.

When I let that goal in on pick-up. I want to smash everything in my sight. It's a routine save that was missed due to poor fundamentals.

WeThreeKings is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-20-2012, 10:30 PM
sharks9

Quote:
Both the second and third goals were weak. The third was far from a "nice shot". It should have been a routine save and nothing more. Not that all the blame should be placed on Subban, as the entire team played poorly, but with an adequate goaltender, we win that game 2-1.
Third, yes. Second, no. It was brutal positioning by the defenseman that left him screened and a decent shot by the Finnish player.

The way people are acting it's like he let in 7 or 8 goals, it's ridiculous.

sharks9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-20-2012, 11:07 PM
Paralyzer008

Didn't really like the last two goals Subban let in.

I think Subban is the guy for now, but I want to see Binnington or Paterson in net against Sweden in that prelim game and then we'll go from there.

Paralyzer008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2012, 07:52 AM
Blind Gardien
Global Moderator
nexus of the crisis

If I was just going by games, I'd put Subban right back in and make him really force me to take the #1 job away from him. The exhibition game against Finland he was just "adequate"... can't fault him for the 5-on-3 goals, plus he generally played well overall during all the shorthanded time. The 3rd goal was weak - but I think in an "adequate" game for Canada they should be able to get away with one goal against that the goalie could have/should have had. There wasn't enough support this game for them to get away with that.

If Subban gets himself in the right groove, he's the best goalie for Canada, easily, and one of the 3 best in the tournament. It's worth making the investment now to try to make that happen.

That said, there are other observations to go on way beyond the game results. You can watch him and the other goalies in practices and off the ice, maybe there are nerves or other issues that would come in. There's still time to make a small attempt at investing in getting Subban going. But it's an awfully short tournament, and not much time to do that.

Blind Gardien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2012, 08:00 AM
ODAAT

The winning team most likely has the strongest goaltending but here`s a concept, how about Team Canada selection committee actually drafts defensive players known for playing strong defensively???

We`ll see, but I have far more concerns about how Rielly and Murphy react to the best of opponents pressuring them rather than how any of the goalies play.

ODAAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2012, 08:02 AM
ODAAT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blind Gardien View Post
If I was just going by games, I'd put Subban right back in and make him really force me to take the #1 job away from him. The exhibition game against Finland he was just "adequate"... can't fault him for the 5-on-3 goals, plus he generally played well overall during all the shorthanded time. The 3rd goal was weak - but I think in an "adequate" game for Canada they should be able to get away with one goal against that the goalie could have/should have had. There wasn't enough support this game for them to get away with that.

If Subban gets himself in the right groove, he's the best goalie for Canada, easily, and one of the 3 best in the tournament. It's worth making the investment now to try to make that happen.

That said, there are other observations to go on way beyond the game results. You can watch him and the other goalies in practices and off the ice, maybe there are nerves or other issues that would come in. There's still time to make a small attempt at investing in getting Subban going. But it's an awfully short tournament, and not much time to do that.
The boys in front of him played so uninspired as well, an "effort" that was weak at best

ODAAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2012, 10:54 AM
ed bruin

Quote:
The first goal Subban had no chance, the second goal by Järveläinen yeah it wasn't weak but for sure he should have saved that. I missed the third period, but all in all consierding how much power time Finland had and the fact it was the first game where almost everybody looked flat it was alright. I just like how you are jumping off bridges with one game... especially one where 2 of the three goals were 5 on 3. Yeah call me a Bruins homer but I will be the first one to admit Doug Hamilton disappointed big time yesterday as well.

ed bruin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2012, 01:01 PM
GuillaumeLetsundress
Formerly Pheramone

Quote:
Originally Posted by ODAAT View Post
The winning team most likely has the strongest goaltending but here`s a concept, how about Team Canada selection committee actually drafts defensive players known for playing strong defensively???

We`ll see, but I have far more concerns about how Rielly and Murphy react to the best of opponents pressuring them rather than how any of the goalies play.
So Harrington reinhart and wortherspoon made it because of their offensive abilities?

GuillaumeLetsundress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2012, 02:57 PM
Lessy

So at this point who's the favourite to start Boxing Day?

Lessy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2012, 04:15 PM
TonsofPuppies*
#ThePriceIsRight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lessy View Post
So at this point who's the favourite to start Boxing Day?

Old
12-22-2012, 11:52 AM
WeThreeKings

Send a message via MSN to WeThreeKings
Clearly night and day () between the two goaltenders. Binnington's fundamentals were a lot better, he was more comfortable in the net, and if you want goaltending that will give Canada a chance to win, right now, you have to go with Binnington game 1.

WeThreeKings is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2012, 11:02 AM
HLLYWD99

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeThreeKings View Post
Clearly night and day () between the two goaltenders. Binnington's fundamentals were a lot better, he was more comfortable in the net, and if you want goaltending that will give Canada a chance to win, right now, you have to go with Binnington game 1.
+.... 1

HLLYWD99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2012, 08:31 PM
Drij

Quote:
I know that this thread pops up from time to time every few months, but I just can't help myself. This country is in serious serious trouble in net. There's no other major hockey country in the world going through a drought like we are right now, and it doesn't help that one of our arch rivals (Team USA) is stronger than they've ever been in their history. I had an interesting conversation about our goaltending with another poster recently and the first two games of the WHC have only added to my concern. Examples:
Actually the entire crop of young players over the last several years has sucked in all positions.

Drij is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2012, 09:11 PM
PanniniClaus

Binnington for me.

PanniniClaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2012, 08:35 AM
Blind Gardien
Global Moderator
nexus of the crisis

Binnington had the better exhibition showing, for sure. Probably the better camp showing too. I watch them both in the OHL a lot more than this, and still think Subban is the better goalie who on average would give the team the better chances to win, however.

But all goalies run hot and cold at times, and so much of the game is mental. Plus, the team probably won't get a much clearer picture of who is really the guy to lean on from the first two games against Germany and Slovakia. Or at least, you can't rely on getting the toughest tests - could be surprises, but you can't rely on it. And then the big games against USA and Russia will be there in a hurry.

I guess I'd break the tie just on observation from practises and around the rink... if there's anything extra to go on there. Maybe there isn't.

Blind Gardien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2012, 02:57 PM
Royal Canuck
#Shinkaruk4Calder

vCash: 50
I'm still going with Subban, if we play him through the round robin, I think he will find his groove for the important games.

Royal Canuck is offline   Reply With Quote