HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

Bryzgalov'sinterview to Sports.ru on 8/3/2012

Old
08-14-2012, 10:55 PM
CSKA1974

vCash: 500
Bryzgalov'sinterview to Sports.ru on 8/3/2012

I woud ike to offer you the lates Bryzgalov's intervew to the Russian sport site. I need to apologize for mistakes and stye- had very limited time for translation.

Iliya Bryzgalov: “I master my stick skills in Philadelphia”
Bryzgalov’s interview to Sports.ru on 8/13/2012

Not a word about Universe, politics or KHL- Philadelphia Flyers goal keeper talks to Sports.ru about hockey, penalty shots and coaches
Allaire taught me everything

Q: Roberto Luongo’s coach asked him to play less aggressively and not to play far in front when they had started working together. What was François Allaire’s first advice to you when you started in Anaheim?

A: I had not spoken a word of English when I came to the USA, and everything that was translated or shown to me I tried to absorb and execute correctly. He started working on my technique. He taught me how to play, how to move in goals, what to do, what not to do. You can say I started from a clean slate. I was not taught anything before. I knew something, I played somehow, but Allaire has taught me fundamentals. I did not have any skills. He taught me everything.

Q: Many North American coaches do not like European style of goaltending. They say it’s somewhat chaotic…

A: It’s less structured. Everything I know today, I owe to François Allaire. He is very demanding coach, although he has changed with age. He demanded perfect execution, did not allow any deviations during technical drills. The tasks had to be executed accurately and.

Q: What can you tell about the differences in coaching approaches in “Lada” (KHL) and Anaheim?

A: You can’t even compare methods. My Russian coach told me to play more with the stick to intercept pucks. Allaire was completely against it, because if you missed the puck, you are out of play.

Q: However, one of the best goalies, Martin Brodeur, is famous for his puck handling.

A: You do not quite understand. You can play the puck with your stick as a skater, or you can attempt to intercept cross passes or pock check the puck. If you missed out on latter- you will not be able to react in time.

Composure and Calmness

Q: How do you spend time before the games?

A: I talk to the guys, coaches; drink coffee. Usually we come to the morning skate- we joke; we warm up and have a light practice. Then we go to lunch, we have fun, we talk. Then I go to home and take a nap. I dedicate some time to play with kids and then I set to leave for the game. We gather in the locker room: high fives, jokes, conversations. Closer to the game we watch video, discuss an opponent, and than we are ready to take the ice.

Q: Have you always had such composure, or you have acquired it in the NHL?

A: I’ve always had it. Why stress yourself? You either can play or you can’t. When you are on the ice, everything is different. You have a clear goal in mind to be stronger than your opponent, and everything is geared toward this.

Q: As a goalie, do you study players’ styles of shooting?

A: Certainly, you know main players, however at times, even knowing all the information about your opponents; it is difficult to be in right place in the right time during the shot. There are always scrums in the crease and it’s a difficult to track a shot or a pass. You have to work hard through the screens and your opponents will do everything they can to make goalie’s job harder. Normally, it’s very difficult to score on clear unobstructed shot.

Q: Well, nobody obstructs the view during shoot out. You seemed t have difficulties with them during last season.

A: That’s correct, especially in the first half of the season. But it seemed to come to order later in the season. You have to give shooters credit- they can show incredible play and fool you, sometimes you make mistakes, and sometimes you might be just lucky. Even if you know their trick, they have 2-3 perfected moves, which if executed well will most likely lead to a goal despite all your efforts. You anticipate one move, but they switch to something completely different. Most important to be patient and outwait your opponent.

Q: Canadian magazine “Goalie Guild wrote that if usually a goalie’s job is 90% mental, it’s 99% for Bryzgalov. Furthermore, it states that if you let in a few goals you loose confidence. What do you think?

A: In reality, it’s very important to block first few shots. You feel much different after that. However, there is difference in shots. One thing when your team is down by 2 goals in the beginning of the game because you let in “bad” goals, another when there were no chances to stop these shots. It all reflects on your partners. To sum it up, a lot of hinges on the goalie’s play. How he plays, how confident he is. Your opponents can feel it right away.

Q: Are there any experts that you accept advices or criticism from?

A: No, not really. I rely on my own head.

Q: What are the most ridiculous goals that you let in?

A: There were plenty of them! For example, when I played for junior “Lada” against Seattle “Snow Kings”, their defender just shot a puck out of their zone and it jumped on the ice in front of me.

Q: You said Allaire had taught you everything. What about Sean Burke in Phoenix?

A: Burke taught me patience. He taught me that there is no big difference in positioning when you block first shot, but if you sit deeper in the net you have better chances to block second shot. I have only good memories about him; he was always on goalies’ side. He is always calm and reasonable. What a great man.

Q: There is a lot of talk about goalie phenomenon in Phoenix- you, Smith.

A: They have a system. Excellent head coach Dave Tippet, he, as well as Burke, is incredible. They play of their strength, they play of defense. They take care of their net first. Therefore, the players are helping their goalies and goalies are performing well. It’s very difficult for a goalie to be successful without team’s help.

Q: What’s your experience with Jeff Reese so far?

A: He teaches me puck handling like a skater. We pay a lot of time to this aspect of the game. They want me to be an additional defender.

Q: yes, they need all the help they can get with all the injuries.

A: That’s why I am practicing (laughs).

Q: Reese was a small goal keeper, there is no goalie in the NHL with his height? Does it mean that the guys like Chris Osgood not going to play in the NHL anymore?

A: Hockey is progressing. Large goalies take more room and they are quick and move well. Size is the big advantage. Sometimes puck just hits you because you are big.

Q: With modern pads even small goalies cover the bottom of the net.

A: what about top corners?

Q: In your opinion, have you reached the peak of your skill and understanding of the game yet?

A: You know there is no limit to the progress; I am in the constant search. The game is not still, it’s moving forward. I have to keep up with younger, quicker, more skilled players. I have to constantly evaluate and adjust my technique. You have to be always searching in order to progress.

Q: Is there any goalie that you consider to be an example of professionalism?

A: There are plenty of excellent goalies in the NHL, and there is impossible to single someone out. Brodeur, Lundquist, Rinne. Every one of them has something special. Miller. TimThomas has played incredible style of hockey. All of them are high level hockey players with their strengths and weaknesses. All of them are extremely professional in what they do. Had they not been professionals, they would have never played at their current levels.

Last edited by CSKA1974: 08-14-2012 at 11:12 PM.
CSKA1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2012, 11:17 PM
elecguitardude27

Love Bryz's interviews, he's one of the most honest people in the game.

elecguitardude27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2012, 11:38 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
AICMAM

vCash: 156
Thanks for the translation! These interviews are always good.

08-15-2012, 11:06 AM
CanadianFlyer88
Knublin' PPs

vCash: 955
Thanks, CSKA!

08-15-2012, 11:51 AM
COMCASTMONEY
pay ya cable bills.

I always like the depth of these Russian interviews. They ask about coaching and actual technique, which as a fan is more interesting than "how are you feeling/how do you think the team can do" and the boring-as-hell answers questions like that return. I would love to hear interviews with Giroux or whoever that ask about how he learned and what specifically he does in a game or is attempting to do.

COMCASTMONEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2012, 11:53 AM
Spongolium*
Potato Magician

Fantastic interview with a guy that is as down to earth as you can possibly get. Can't wait for the season to start.

Spongolium* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2012, 11:53 AM
Haute Couturier

Thanks for translating this for us! I like reading his thoughts on goaltending.

Haute Couturier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2012, 05:50 PM
sobrien
RAFFLCOPTER

AH HA! Knew it!! PHX's system > our system for goalies. And to think that was even argued

But really....Allaire teaches positioning, Burke teaches positioning. Jeff Reese teaches puckhandling

sobrien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2012, 06:17 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
AICMAM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sobrien View Post
AH HA! Knew it!! PHX's system > our system for goalies. And to think that was even argued

But really....Allaire teaches positioning, Burke teaches positioning. Jeff Reese teaches puckhandling
Yeah, I had the same reaction. Fascinating that Bryz's positioning was pretty suspect for most of last year. Perhaps Reese isn't giving him the feedback he got under former coaches.

Beef Invictus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2012, 06:28 PM
Krishna
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 50
Burke to Phi e3

can you trade coaches?

08-15-2012, 06:30 PM
Prongo
Beer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krishna View Post
Burke to Phi e3

can you trade coaches?
pretty sure that's a no.

Prongo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2012, 06:39 PM
dingbathero
No Jam? How about PB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish Invictus View Post
Yeah, I had the same reaction. Fascinating that Bryz's positioning was pretty suspect for most of last year. Perhaps Reese isn't giving him the feedback he got under former coaches.
Perhaps due to the system we employ that would pull him out?

If you look at his PHX games, he seems to always be in pos. but then again, they play a much diff. system... I attribute it to that. (not talking about some fluke goals, etc: before anyone goes ballistic.)

dingbathero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2012, 06:53 PM
MsWoof

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krishna View Post
Burke to Phi e3

can you trade coaches?
I think he signed an extension with Phoenix.

MsWoof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2012, 07:17 PM
Krishna
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsWoof View Post
I think he signed an extension with Phoenix.
Clearly a sign and trade

Krishna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2012, 07:36 PM
funghoul
retardo montalbon

Quote:
Originally Posted by dingbathero View Post

If you look at his PHX games, he seems to always be in pos. but then again, they play a much diff. system... I attribute it to that. (not talking about some fluke goals, etc: before anyone goes ballistic.)
exactly. they play a little somthin called "defense". offense is the best defense is our motto but then we blame our goalies for not being inhuman. luckily i think bryz is actually capable of being inhuman.

funghoul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2012, 07:51 AM
CSKA1974

Quote:
Originally Posted by sobrien View Post

Granted his positioning was not the best, but his puck handling is also a glaring weakness.

CSKA1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2012, 10:34 AM
bp spec

Always interesting interviews with Bryz. Thanks for translating.

bp spec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2012, 12:44 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
AICMAM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dingbathero View Post

One would hope Reese would help Bryz figure it out. Also, "it's the system!" does absolutely nothing to explain much of his positioning choices. The puck-behind-the-net?-eh-I'm-not-gonna-worry-about-the-post situations were particularly frustrating.

Quote:
Originally Posted by funghoul View Post
exactly. they play a little somthin called "defense". offense is the best defense is our motto but then we blame our goalies for not being inhuman. luckily i think bryz is actually capable of being inhuman.
Please. Our defense wasn't anywhere near as bad as people make it out to be. It was worse than we're used to, but nowhere close to worst in the NHL. Reading some people's posts, you'd think they were 30th.

Old
08-16-2012, 12:49 PM
GoneFullHolmgren
def. hockey FAIL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish Invictus View Post
probably because some people in the Flyers front office felt that Bryzgalov could gamle more positionally with the extra weight he put on. That didnt exactly work out well. I think its fair to say his extra weight that was asked of him to put on affected his play.
they probably thought, hey it worked for Leighton the year before
I think at this point of his career he is what he is. a below average puck handler. He should just worry about stopping the ******* puck.

GoneFullHolmgren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2012, 03:50 PM
Bernie Parent 1974

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoneFullHolmgren View Post
probably because some people in the Flyers front office felt that Bryzgalov could gamle more positionally with the extra weight he put on.
i have yet to see ANY factual reports of how much Bryz weighed with PHX, and any possible fluctuations in his weight & by how much since signing with the Flyers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoneFullHolmgren View Post
I think at this point of his career he is what he is. a below average puck handler.
agreed about the puck handling. I'd like to see his defenseman let him just concentrate on playing like he did in March & not dump the ********* puck back to him.

Bernie Parent 1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2012, 04:31 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
AICMAM

You're still trying to blame that on Timonen?

Old
08-17-2012, 04:01 PM
sobrien
RAFFLCOPTER

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSKA1974 View Post
Granted his positioning was not the best, but his puck handling is also a glaring weakness.
Indeed, though I'd push for exemplary positioning before I started messing around with puck-handling.

sobrien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2012, 09:46 PM
BernieParent
HFB Partner

NHL Network has been showing the "classic" games from the 2010 Detroit - Phoenix series. I'm watching game 7 tonight. Bryzgalov has stood on his head during an 18-shot period 1 to keep it scoreless. Great movement, great positioning, a few highlight-reel saves. The quoted stat was that Bryzgalov posted a .963 save percentage through the first periods.

BernieParent is online now   Reply With Quote