2012 Prospect Camp

Old
07-12-2012, 11:12 AM
MetalGodAOD
Star Rangers

vCash: 746
Quote:
Originally Posted by maxpenguins6630 View Post
Does he have some offensive skills Faksa or purely defense first player ?
He's good at both, but he's just 18. He's still a bit raw.

In other news, observations from the 3 on 3 drills:

Quote:
Bruce LeVine ‏@BruceLeVine22

Most impressive forward 3 on 3, Scott Glennie. Nice to see him step up today. Stars need 1st rounder to make the jump
Quote:
Bruce LeVine ‏@BruceLeVine22

Should mention Bernden Dillon, looks like he will need to find a place to live in Dallas this year

MetalGodAOD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2012, 01:44 PM
ginblossoms

vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to ginblossoms
Team Black 17 (Chiasson, Ritchie, R. Smith, Bystrom, Nemeth, Troock, Stransky, Hohmann, Vance, etc.)
Team White 11 (Dillon, Oleksiak, A. Smith, Glennie, Faksa, Molin, Winther, G. Smith, Sinitsyn, etc.)

Scrimmage today was a glorified pick-up game. Structured as 3 20-min periods (1st period - 3 on 3, 2nd period - 4 on 4, 3rd period - 5 on 5). Rosters were mixtures of Team A & Team B from prior development camp days. Positions were basically ignored (often defensemen playing forward & vice versa).

First, disregarding the undrafted camp invites, impressed with the collective skill level of the Stars prospects.

New observations...

Molin is Ribeiro-lite. Hangs on to the puck and waits for spots to open up for teammates. One of my favorites right now.

G. Smith is like, really really fast. At one point, he went coast to coast along the right wing boards. Team Black took bad angles on him. He couldn't finish though. Prior observations about his stone-like hands are correct. He got high-sticked later and mishandled the penalty shot before getting medical attention. You can just watch him skate all day long, though.

Troock made the biggest impression today. Surprisingly made some really nice offensive plays. He had at least 3 goals.

Jokipakka's lack of relative skating ability is much less noticeable in "real" hockey scenarios. How it would be exposed in the NHL is another matter entirely.

All this said, the wheat shall separate from the chaff at training camp.

P.S. Asked a Stars employee about the $10 student tickets (best deal in the NHL!). The guy confirmed it for next season.

Oh, and Glennie slammed into the corner boards at one point...
... But he got right back up and didn't miss a shift. You can breathe now.

ginblossoms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2012, 02:38 PM
RTstars11

I was also able to make it to the camp today, here are a few quick observations from the scrimmages and autograph signings:

1. Glennie, Ritchie, and Molin impressed me the most.

2. Like gin said, G. Smith is incredibly fast and very fluid, but stone hands.

3. If the team is trying to stop players from talking back to refs about calls, we may have to trade a lot of our prospects because there was a lot of yapping out there.

4. Reilly Smith is aware that he greatly resembles Collin Hanks and is excited to be wearing James Neal's number, as in he wants to be the better 18. He also gave one of his sticks to a kid and signed it, pretty cool thing to do.

5. Glennie blew past the autograph line and went straight to the parking garage, but I blame that on someone sarcastically asking him if he was injured.

6. Oleksiak is really tall.

7. Dillon is a cool dude to talk to.

8. Most of the Euros seemed a lot more excited to sign autographs for everyone then the other guys.

(Yes I'm aware most of these are obvious observations)

Last edited by RTstars11: 07-12-2012 at 02:50 PM.
RTstars11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2012, 02:42 PM
Captain Awesome

If Glennie can't take that kind of jawing at prospect camp I'd hate to see what he thinks of all the things we've said about him for three years.

Captain Awesome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2012, 02:43 PM
RTstars11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Awesome View Post
If Glennie can't take that kind of jawing at prospect camp I'd hate to see what he thinks of all the things we've said about him for three years.
I think he actually had to catch a flight and couldn't stay to sign stuff for people, but it was a pretty funny sequence because of the question.

RTstars11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2012, 03:17 PM
Frozen Failure
Best Threadkiller

vCash: 2111
Send a message via AIM to Frozen Failure Send a message via Yahoo to Frozen Failure
Quote:
Originally Posted by RTstars11 View Post
I think he actually had to catch a flight and couldn't stay to sign stuff for people, but it was a pretty funny sequence because of the question.
Because he got traded to a Canadian team.

Frozen Failure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2012, 04:34 PM
Hull Fan
Czech Stop

I too took in the camp today and here are a few of my thoughts.

Chiasson has a great shot and good offensive awareness of when to shoot or pass in the zone. He and Glennie are the closest to NHL ready. Just my opinion but R. Smith needs at least a full year in Austin if not two. You can see his talent at times but he doesn't look near to being NHL ready.

I've never been high on A. Smith but he's got a bottom six future. His motor doesn't stop and back checking didn't appear to be a foreign concept to him.

I can begin to see the Ritchie to Neal comparisons. He has an excellent shot and his skating is more than good enough to cause defenders fits. Would have liked to see more physical play from him but the scrimmage didn't really lend itself to that.

Molin has a beautiful stride and more than decent puck skills. I hope he gets a chance with the men this winter.

Stransky could control the puck in a phone booth. Wow his hands are lights out and he set up a couple of great opportunities.

When Jason Parks, baseball scout, talks about tools to dream on he means Troock. Holy crap I totally see why 20+ teams talked to him before the draft. At times he gets a little lost but man his shot is pretty accurate and the release is more than acceptable at this stage of development. He isn't afraid to go to the net or pass to an open teammate. If he can take the next few steps on the development curve he's got an amazing future in front of him. Kid is absolutely someone to keep an eye on this fall.

Dillon is NHL ready. Absolutely no one in this scrimmage dumped it deep or chipped it out when in trouble except Dillon. The smart play every time no matter the situation. He was a man among boys and it totally showed.

Sinitsyn has hands most defensemen never dream of. At one point he held off three players skating away from traffic before dishing to an open teammate that set up a nice opportunity on net. Not sure about the rest of his game but he can skate and he can stick handle. I totally see why Dallas moved back up for him.

As for the invitees, I talked to Mark S. for a while afterwards. He and I agreed about a lot which made me feel better. He said Foster and the local Arlington kid Cole Martin who plays for Kelowna stood out all week. We both agreed Justin Kirsch of Moose Jaw has excellent puck skills and set up more than a few chances for team black. I don't know that any of the invitees will get a contract offer but I expect a couple to get drafted next year.

This was by far the most talented group I've seen in the last few years. This group of guys could totally dominate the Traverse City tournament if they get the chance to go. Pray the labor dispute gets worked out quickly because that chance to play against the best other teams have would be tremendous for those players.

Mark also said Ritchie had taken the biggest steps forward from when he saw him last year. Watch for him to tear it up in Niagara.

Hull Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2012, 06:46 PM
LatvianTwist
Global Moderator

vCash: 157
Sinitsyn is gonna be good for 50+ points in the NHL one day. Honestly what I think.

LatvianTwist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2012, 07:09 PM
txomisc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hull Fan View Post

Chiasson has a great shot and good offensive awareness of when to shoot or pass in the zone. He and Glennie are the closest to NHL ready. Just my opinion but R. Smith needs at least a full year in Austin if not two. You can see his talent at times but he doesn't look near to being NHL ready.

I've never been high on A. Smith but he's got a bottom six future. His motor doesn't stop and back checking didn't appear to be a foreign concept to him.

I can begin to see the Ritchie to Neal comparisons. He has an excellent shot and his skating is more than good enough to cause defenders fits. Would have liked to see more physical play from him but the scrimmage didn't really lend itself to that.

Molin has a beautiful stride and more than decent puck skills. I hope he gets a chance with the men this winter.

Stransky could control the puck in a phone booth. Wow his hands are lights out and he set up a couple of great opportunities.

When Jason Parks, baseball scout, talks about tools to dream on he means Troock. Holy crap I totally see why 20+ teams talked to him before the draft. At times he gets a little lost but man his shot is pretty accurate and the release is more than acceptable at this stage of development. He isn't afraid to go to the net or pass to an open teammate. If he can take the next few steps on the development curve he's got an amazing future in front of him. Kid is absolutely someone to keep an eye on this fall.

Dillon is NHL ready. Absolutely no one in this scrimmage dumped it deep or chipped it out when in trouble except Dillon. The smart play every time no matter the situation. He was a man among boys and it totally showed.

Sinitsyn has hands most defensemen never dream of. At one point he held off three players skating away from traffic before dishing to an open teammate that set up a nice opportunity on net. Not sure about the rest of his game but he can skate and he can stick handle. I totally see why Dallas moved back up for him.

As for the invitees, I talked to Mark S. for a while afterwards. He and I agreed about a lot which made me feel better. He said Foster and the local Arlington kid Cole Martin who plays for Kelowna stood out all week. We both agreed Justin Kirsch of Moose Jaw has excellent puck skills and set up more than a few chances for team black. I don't know that any of the invitees will get a contract offer but I expect a couple to get drafted next year.

This was by far the most talented group I've seen in the last few years. This group of guys could totally dominate the Traverse City tournament if they get the chance to go. Pray the labor dispute gets worked out quickly because that chance to play against the best other teams have would be tremendous for those players.

Mark also said Ritchie had taken the biggest steps forward from when he saw him last year. Watch for him to tear it up in Niagara.
When I was researching the draft Troock to me stood out as being very similar to Brett Ritchie. How would you compare the two?

txomisc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2012, 07:15 PM
defensehockey19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hull Fan View Post

Actually.... Rumour has it..... That he will be moved to the Peterborough Petes to play top line minutes and have a chance to win.. (Niagara loses half their roster to kids going pro) this will be interesting to see how he does because his younger brother Nick also plays for the Petes! Love the comments on Brett sounds like he has improved his game drastically.

defensehockey19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2012, 12:31 AM
Hull Fan
Czech Stop

Quote:
Originally Posted by txomisc View Post
When I was researching the draft Troock to me stood out as being very similar to Brett Ritchie. How would you compare the two?
Everything Troock can do Ritchie can do better but that's not a fair comparison because of their ages and all the lost development time Troock had due to injuries. I've been trying to come up with a fair comparison that doesn't build him up more than he should but also doesn't comparatively limit his ceiling. Right now he's kinda Fraser without the improved defense. It's not that he's lazy it's just lack of experience and repetition that comes from missing basically 120+ games in two vital development years.

The thing that separates him from Fraser, who's not small, is size and skating. He's Lucic type size and while I don't think he'll develop the snarl Milan has that physical ability to win battles gives him one more edge as opposed to a smaller forward. His shot is the biggest difference between him and Vincour. So maybe a happy medium might be Blake Wheeler if things work out.

You hope the snarl comes. The nasty streak that Benn has but also the continued improvement on how to best use teammates, and finding those soft spots in the offensive zone to open him up to use that shot. He's a project and it'd do wonders for him to play two full seasons in Seattle before maybe another two in Austin. You just hope that his inability to pick up all the things he should have already learned and be building on hasn't set him too far back so that he can't reach his development peak. This truly is a vital year for him. Everything I've read says Seattle is going to feature him in as much a role as he can handle. Everyone should cross their fingers he stays healthy, gets to play with some good linemates and the coaching staff there really helps him take the next few steps forward.

Hull Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2012, 01:41 PM
BigG44

vCash: 475
Fun article from the ***** shooting trip.

Quote:
At one shooting station, Enfinger told the group, "We're gonna let you shoot out the back of a pickup truck." It was a portable platform set up in front of a machine that sent clay disks flying like birds.

"Now that's hillbilly," T.J. Foster, one of the Canadians told her.

They agreed: "That's Texan."
EDIT: Thanks alot rappers for making something innocent like ***** shooting require HF to edit it ..... clay target shooting will hopefully make it through the filters.

BigG44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2012, 09:10 PM
Evgeny Oliker

vCash: 1140
Why didnt Guptill attend this?

Evgeny Oliker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2012, 09:56 PM
Frozen Failure
Best Threadkiller

vCash: 2111
Send a message via AIM to Frozen Failure Send a message via Yahoo to Frozen Failure
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evgeny Oliker View Post
College players have to pay their own way. College players tend to not attend because of that.

Frozen Failure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2012, 01:22 PM
aisforaaron83

vCash: 1075
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evgeny Oliker View Post
you are on the HF staff?!?!?! god help us all.

aisforaaron83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2012, 01:24 PM
piqued
Global Moderator
victory green?

vCash: 27750
Well just because he's a NCAA player doesn't completely explain his absence. McKenzie attended.

piqued is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2012, 03:19 PM
aisforaaron83

vCash: 1075
Traverse City Tourney Cancelled. lame.

via Red Wings twitter

aisforaaron83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2012, 07:03 PM
FrailSwan
ExplodeForEkblad

Assuming paying was the reason for Guptill not attending, they sent him to Gary Roberts instead.

FrailSwan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2012, 07:22 AM
BigG44

vCash: 475
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrailSwan View Post
Assuming paying was the reason for Guptill not attending, they sent him to Gary Roberts instead.
This is what Mark reported.

The only correction I'll add is Dallas didn't send him to Gary Roberts. His family has to pay for Roberts training. This is his 2nd year with Gary, and I imagine the camp is quite costly. This years Dallas camp is also a bigger financial burden because it was a week long. College players would be responsible for a week long hotel stay. In the long run, I think the money was better used on time with Gary Roberts.

BigG44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2012, 09:05 AM
Evgeny Oliker

vCash: 1140

Quote:
Originally Posted by piqued View Post
Well just because he's a NCAA player doesn't completely explain his absence. McKenzie attended.
Exactly.

I'm aware College players must pay their way. It does not mean they all decide not to attend.

Thanks.

Evgeny Oliker is offline   Reply With Quote