HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Kovalev

Old
08-16-2012, 12:18 PM
RGY
(Jagr68NYR94Leetch)

vCash: 500
Still has one of the best shots around..i'd give him a camp invite. and Sykora is not better than kovalev, even at this stage.

RGY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2012, 12:22 PM
Carlos Ranger
Zucc-a-Rella

vCash: 67
I wouldn't mind giving him a try out and see what he's got left. however with 1 goal in 22 games last year in the KHL you've got to wonder if he's even got his hands anymore..

Carlos Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2012, 12:24 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR Sting View Post
Many years ago, I attended an event featuring a lot of Russian players, among them Igor Larionov and Slava Fetisov. I consider both to be among the most intelligent players to ever play the game. One of them (I spoke briefly with both, and the event was so long ago I can't remember which one said this specifically) mentioned to me that he believed Kovalev had the potential to be the greatest Russian player of all-time.
He did. He isn't.

08-16-2012, 12:34 PM
NYR Sting
Heart and Soul

Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway View Post
He did. He isn't.
No argument about that. He's not even close. He's not even in the top 10, in my book.

NYR Sting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2012, 12:37 PM
Olympic nut

Send a message via AIM to 007 Send a message via MSN to 007
I love Kovy, for some bizarre reason I can't explain myself, but no way, no how. I find it funny that he's interested in the NHL, considering all the interviews he gave about how much he preferred the style of play in the KHL.

Perhaps he likes being getting his paycheques on time.

007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2012, 12:49 PM
NYR Sting
Heart and Soul

Does anyone know where to find the quote/clip where he said a year or two ago that he thought the NHL was boring?

NYR Sting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2012, 12:55 PM
WhipNash27
Quattro!!

He had the talent to be one be an all-time great but his head wasn't there. It was a shame. He was my favorite player growing up, I loved to watch him play especially when he was "on." However, I can't see Kovalev fitting with this team.

WhipNash27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2012, 12:56 PM
Kershaw

vCash: 50
Kovalev = Coach Killer

Kershaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2012, 12:57 PM
KreiMeARiver
PHI has potential!

Thinking back, I loved Kovalev at the time during his first stint. For some reason that love hasn't remained like it has for Pavel Bure, my all-time favorite player.

Even if he was free, I wouldn't want him anywhere near these guys, and in this room.

KreiMeARiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2012, 01:24 PM
Net Front Presence
Harvester of Sorrow

vCash: 295
No thanks. I can't see him and Torts being a good match.

Net Front Presence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2012, 01:29 PM
Joey Bones

Honestly, I'd rather invite some players that really have a chance at cracking the NYR line-up come whenever the season starts. Players like Petr Sykora, Dominic Moore, Jochen Hecht, & Eric Fehr would be considered way before Kovalev IMO..... Maybe even Jonathan Cheechoo or Michel Ouellet?

Joey Bones is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2012, 01:53 PM
GWOW
Two Pucks, One Cup

Quote:
Many years ago, I attended an event featuring a lot of Russian players, among them Igor Larionov and Slava Fetisov. I consider both to be among the most intelligent players to ever play the game. One of them (I spoke briefly with both, and the event was so long ago I can't remember which one said this specifically) mentioned to me that he believed Kovalev had the potential to be the greatest Russian player of all-time.
That was the prevailing notion going around when he was drafted and after the 1992 Olympics.

He always had a 10-cent head. He liked to party, sleep late and do his own thing. IMO he's the NHL version of Ricky Williams or Shawn Kemp. If he had a work ethic like a Jeter or a Manning, he could have scored 60 goals a season with ease.

GWOW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2012, 02:02 PM
Baby Punisher

Quote:
That's quite a statement among those players. I always considered Federov to be the best Russian player of all time, & he under acheived to a certain extent as well.

Baby Punisher is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2012, 02:04 PM
Baby Punisher

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGY View Post
Still has one of the best shots around..i'd give him a camp invite. and Sykora is not better than kovalev, even at this stage.
I disagree. Kov can't break double digit goals in the KHL while Sykora is netting 20 last year. Sykora all the way. Not that it matters neither one of them have ashot of signing here unless we have multiple season ending injuries.

Old
08-16-2012, 02:05 PM
Baby Punisher

[QUOTE=NYR Sting;53626745]Does anyone know where to find the quote/clip where he said a year or two ago that he thought the NHL was boring?[/QUOTE

I remember when he said that. It just happen to be his last year in the NHL to. i guess the KHL was more boring.

Old
08-16-2012, 02:07 PM
Baby Punisher

Quote:
Originally Posted by GWOW View Post
That was the prevailing notion going around when he was drafted and after the 1992 Olympics.

He always had a 10-cent head. He liked to party, sleep late and do his own thing. IMO he's the NHL version of Ricky Williams or Shawn Kemp. If he had a work ethic like a Jeter or a Manning, he could have scored 60 goals a season with ease.
The worse thing that might have happened to him was that he won a cup so early in his career. After that the drive wasn't the same say for a couple of years in Pittsburgh, even than those teams were so talented Kov had to do just enough to get by.

Old
08-16-2012, 02:16 PM
chosen

Quote:
Originally Posted by GWOW View Post
Kovalev never made hockey a priority when he was in NYC. Never. The only thing that carried him while he was here were his God-given talents.

Come on, guys. We're talking about Alexei Kovalev.
You are right about second stint. Dead wrong about first.

chosen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2012, 02:39 PM
BrianLeetch2

vCash: 803
Send a message via AIM to BrianLeetch2 Send a message via MSN to BrianLeetch2
I will always have a soft spot for him as well.....I just started watching hockey when he came into the league. The 94 cup run he might have been our best player. I know Messier and Leetch(Con Smythe) were so huge that playoff run, but Kovy also was just as important and without him that season of 94 we def dont win the cup.

BrianLeetch2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2012, 03:03 PM
JeremyNYR

Off-Season threads really are brutal sometimes. So far this week, I've seen suggestions of trading away Staal, Girardi and Stepan + prospects for a 3rd line winger and a bottom pairing defenseman, trading Gaborik for some lesser roster players/prospects and picks, and while we're at it, let's give Redden and Kovalev another try. These threads must be created for entertainment purposes only.

JeremyNYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2012, 03:18 PM
Amazing Kreiderman
Night-shift fan!

Well, we are waiting for October haha. Would I like Kovalev to sign with us? Not yet. Would I like him to get a try-out in training camp? Yes, what's the harm?

Amazing Kreiderman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2012, 03:48 PM
pld459666

I like Kovy.

He's slow and is one of the worst sulking players ever to lace up a pair of skates.

He dogged it in Ottawa and admitted he went there for the money and that he wanted to play for the Canadiens.

If he ever got his head on straight and actually applied himself to both end of the ice, I think he could make for a decent 3rd liner now.

I just don't think he has it in him to adjust his game to the point of being a responsible 3rd line winger. I bet he still thinks he should be a go to guy that deserves PP time.

can't have that here.

The Rock says

"Know your roll, and shut your mouth"

pld459666 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2012, 03:52 PM
mooskating
flex

Quote:
Does anyone know where to find the quote/clip where he said a year or two ago that he thought the NHL was boring?
maybe that's why he wants to play here. can't keep up with the khl in his old age.

mooskating is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2012, 03:59 PM
Fitzy
All Is Well

vCash: 50
Granted it doesnt have any games where the puck drops, everyone ignores it and you spend 15 minutes being chased around the ice by abnormally large and angry men.

In that sense, the NHL is boring.

Fitzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2012, 04:10 PM
Barnaby

Been there - done that. "If he get's it together." - I think that ship sailed 15 years ago...

Barnaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2012, 04:17 PM
HockeyBurd*

There's no chance what so ever we would have won the cup without him. There's no chance what so ever Messier would have had "the night of the Messiah" without Kovalev. So I will always have a soft spot for him. But I can't imagine Tortorella not being arrested for first degree murder at some point during the season with Kovalev on the team even in a depth role.

HockeyBurd* is offline   Reply With Quote