HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

What do you do for a living?

Old
08-15-2012, 01:14 AM
knuck
On and off fan

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LyricalLyricist View Post
After 2 years I was 1.85 on probation, mostly because I was trying to work at same time. I quit my job and even did more classes(40 credits in a year) and my GPA boosted to 2.97. Sometimes a little change can help a lot. I plan to exceed 3 very soon and make myself eligible for a masters.
yeah I had the same issue. It was resolved but I might get in trouble again because I have just failed the same class for the second time in a row. I just couldn't give a crap right now however. I've been going full time, three semesters a year for 3 years now. I need to do something, which is what is going to happen in less than two weeks as I leave on an internship

knuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2012, 04:11 PM
CrAzYNiNe

Send a message via MSN to CrAzYNiNe
Boring... I'm on site and I expected to get my laptop and everything but orientation is tomorrow and well im bored...

No sports tonight, the only person I know on the site is working late since she is leaving in a week to head back to school. Place is cool though, just wish I had something to do. Are dinner already, they had steak, burgers, chicken burgers, baked potatoes, hot dogs, veggie burgers. Here I am thinking the food is going to be garbage, that was a great surprise

Also noticed that this HFBoards was in the history, someone from the site must be on here also, now to find out who is a whole other story.

Hey school talking boys, GTFO Get to work already if you're in this thread

CrAzYNiNe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2012, 04:33 PM
Forsead

Quote:
You're comparing the two? Seriously? The reason why it requires less for engineering is #1, it's more in demand, #2 it's just a harder program. I know people in arts who have a 3.7 and do nada. I know you're in arts and it's not a shot at you, but c'mon, you know there's a difference.

That being said B- is kind of low, I'm surprised, the cut off everywhere else is B or higher.

I'm still shocked it's B- though. That's insanely low.

School I go to, Concordia has a 4.3 system and it's basically the same except rounded to 0.3s and 0.7s instead of 0.33 and 0.66. Our masters programs require min 3.0.
Yeah, well I know some peoples won't believe me, but it's pretty hard to have good grades here. One of my friend studied 2 years at the Polytechnique and he decided to finish his degree in Université Laval, because his life was more in Quebec city. For the same amount of works his grades were 10 % lower.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohashi_Jouzu View Post
Chem and Physics were/are the same way. 2.6 on a 4.3 scale, with an honours thesis defended, and you could/can get into the grad level. Plenty of my fellow Mount A. B.Sc. grads back in the day were able to move on with that combo, at least.
Thoses are equally hard programs in my mind though !

Forsead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2012, 04:39 PM
DumFries

Recent civil engineer here with no experience looking for over a year now for just a basic job in engineering. So far, my venerated degree brings me no joy.

Still stuck in the same part time position I was six years ago, only difference is now I'm full time. I am already contemplating on changing careers.

DumFries is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2012, 04:51 PM
LyricalLyricist

vCash: 1100
Quote:
Originally Posted by knuck View Post
yeah I had the same issue. It was resolved but I might get in trouble again because I have just failed the same class for the second time in a row. I just couldn't give a crap right now however. I've been going full time, three semesters a year for 3 years now. I need to do something, which is what is going to happen in less than two weeks as I leave on an internship
Maybe you should get a tutor. Seems like that class is a killer for you. What's the class about?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzYNiNe View Post
Boring... I'm on site and I expected to get my laptop and everything but orientation is tomorrow and well im bored...

No sports tonight, the only person I know on the site is working late since she is leaving in a week to head back to school. Place is cool though, just wish I had something to do. Are dinner already, they had steak, burgers, chicken burgers, baked potatoes, hot dogs, veggie burgers. Here I am thinking the food is going to be garbage, that was a great surprise

Also noticed that this HFBoards was in the history, someone from the site must be on here also, now to find out who is a whole other story.

Haters gonna hate. But seriously, wish I could work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forsead View Post
Yeah, well I know some peoples won't believe me, but it's pretty hard to have good grades here. One of my friend studied 2 years at the Polytechnique and he decided to finish his degree in Université Laval, because his life was more in Quebec city. For the same amount of works his grades were 10 % lower.
It's possible but don't see the advantage of them doing that. Seems like a way to kill people's chances at masters elsewhere.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DumFries View Post
Recent civil engineer here with no experience looking for over a year now for just a basic job in engineering. So far, my venerated degree brings me no joy.

Still stuck in the same part time position I was six years ago, only difference is now I'm full time. I am already contemplating on changing careers.
Do internships even if you have your degree. My guess is you have a bad GPA or just not enough experience(I'd lean towards #2)

I'm not in civil but a LOT of people do civil and mechanical(and the traditional programs). My suggestion is do internships and IF that doesn't work consder going to somewhere like ETS as they have grad diplomas and certificates. This should give you a little boost when applying to a job.

http://www-eng.etsmtl.ca/studying_at_ets.html

Scroll down to grad programs. 15 credits for certificates. That's 1 semester.

LyricalLyricist is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2012, 04:59 PM
Forsead

Quote:

I don't know, everybody i know had a job when they finished their degrees...go to the MTQ they hire alot theses times.

Quote:
It's possible but don't see the advantage of them doing that. Seems like a way to kill people's chances at masters elsewhere.
There's no required minimum average grade from the cegep in engineering, so they use Darwin to the maximum. Also, I don't know if they take that into account.

Anyway got a friend who has been offered to do a master, because the professor liked him, I mean that's how it works.

I hope it will work for me if I want to do one.

Last edited by Forsead: 08-15-2012 at 05:06 PM.
Forsead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2012, 05:12 PM
Guilliam

I'm finishing my masters in international administration. Starting my internship as an international affairs counsellor on monday! So pumped!

Guilliam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2012, 05:21 PM
Crimson Skorpion
Global Moderator

vCash: 50
Awards:
Walking into this thread, holding down a secure job, and seeing loads of you going through the education system to set up for a future that will make you more successful and richer than me.

I hate all of you now.

Old
08-15-2012, 05:30 PM
pine
irregistered user

vCash: 50
sorry... can we still be friends on PSN?

pine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2012, 05:43 PM
JGRB
#EllerThugLife

Quote:

Move.

There is tons of work around the country, don't limit yourself.

JGRB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2012, 05:45 PM
guest1467

Agreed. People have to realize that things just aren't the same anymore, you can't live your life with lead boots strapped to your feet.

Be mobile, embrace change and take chances. Even if that means going abroad.

guest1467 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2012, 05:48 PM
Jack Bourdain
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrimsonSkorpion View Post
Walking into this thread, holding down a secure job, and seeing loads of you going through the education system to set up for a future that will make you more successful and richer than me.

I hate all of you now.
You have a wife and 3 beautiful kids, I'd be pretty happy if I could manage that one day.

-----

And yes, gone are the days where you could spend your whole career within the same company. These days, jobs are so specialized that there is no room for growth. If you are like me and want to keep learning and growing as a professional, don't be afraid of moving (on to better things).

Jack Bourdain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2012, 05:52 PM
guest1467

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forsead View Post
Anyway got a friend who has been offered to do a master, because the professor liked him, I mean that's how it works.

I hope it will work for me if I want to do one.
It's not really how it works.

I am not in engineering but I doubt it makes much of a difference.

Getting into a masters program is a number of factors, by trying to hit all of these during your undergrad you can make yourself a more enticing candidate.

-As high as GPA as possible, with an honours degree or first class honours or something equivalent.
-Research experience or potential, RA work, part-time work with profs, entry level experience in your field.
-Actual work experience/volunteer experience.
-Letter of intent
-Letters of recommendation
-Good standard test scores (LSATs, GRE, MCATs ect)

All graduate admissions are based on all or a combination of the above, each school chooses which ones they place emphasis on.

Remember, graduate level is different...you will be working under the supervision of a tenured prof. You need to research which people you want to work with and show them why they would want to work with you. This is where your friend scored because he found a prof that wanted to sponsor him.

guest1467 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2012, 06:07 PM
LyricalLyricist

vCash: 1100
Quote:
Originally Posted by buddahsmoka1 View Post
It's not really how it works.

I am not in engineering but I doubt it makes much of a difference.

Getting into a masters program is a number of factors, by trying to hit all of these during your undergrad you can make yourself a more enticing candidate.

-As high as GPA as possible, with an honours degree or first class honours or something equivalent.
-Research experience or potential, RA work, part-time work with profs, entry level experience in your field.
-Actual work experience/volunteer experience.
-Letter of intent
-Letters of recommendation
-Good standard test scores (LSATs, GRE, MCATs ect)

All graduate admissions are based on all or a combination of the above, each school chooses which ones they place emphasis on.

Remember, graduate level is different...you will be working under the supervision of a tenured prof. You need to research which people you want to work with and show them why they would want to work with you. This is where your friend scored because he found a prof that wanted to sponsor him.
To be fair the criteria depends on which masters you do. There's class based masters and research based. I'd never ever do research masters personally.

LyricalLyricist is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2012, 06:54 PM
overlords
Global Moderator
Canada's Mod

There's a school thread for school talk, guys.

"overlords is one of my favorite people on this entire site." - Hfboards
overlords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2012, 07:04 PM
YMCMBeaulieu
A$AP MICHEL

Chartered accountant specializing in assurance and tax services.. quite the boring life I live.

YMCMBeaulieu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2012, 07:06 PM
Ohashi_Jouzu

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2 Chainz View Post
Chartered accountant specializing in assurance and tax services.. quite the boring life I live.
How much do people pay for a good hug, a pat on the back, or encouraging words?

Ohashi_Jouzu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2012, 07:10 PM
Jack Bourdain
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

For people that don't know, assurance services = audit.

Jack Bourdain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2012, 11:38 PM
Teufelsdreck

Quote:
Originally Posted by knuck View Post
Suggestion to you (and anyone else who faces a situation like that): Take a couple of easy courses even if they have nothing to do with your goal. Doing well in them would help raise your average and might boost your confidence.

Teufelsdreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2012, 08:20 AM
Kjell Dahlin

Quote:
After 2 years I was 1.85 on probation, mostly because I was trying to work at same time. I quit my job and even did more classes(40 credits in a year) and my GPA boosted to 2.97. Sometimes a little change can help a lot. I plan to exceed 3 very soon and make myself eligible for a masters.
I know people with M.Sc. and D.Sc. who had 2,7-2,9... they had one thing in common though: all of them worked, during their B.Sc., as cheap labour (from a monetary perspective; the quality of their work was professional) for the most dynamic laboratory of their respective domains. It greatly helps to expand your network and chances are the "titulaire de chaire" (in English?), after years of working with you (confidence, stability...) , will offer you a M.Sc.

Kjell Dahlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2012, 08:27 AM
swimmer77
What's an ROW?

swim

swimmer77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2012, 09:47 AM
PunkinDrublic*

Pesident of a Junior AA team and former pro hockey player. And now, living a pretty good life with my 3 kids if i say so myself.

PunkinDrublic* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2012, 02:23 PM
Sined
The AndroidBugler!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzYNiNe View Post

Po ltemps d'niaiser.

I just did a test at Eidos, hoping to land a job!

Sined is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2012, 02:47 PM
Mad Habber

Quote:
Originally Posted by JGRB View Post
Move.

There is tons of work around the country, don't limit yourself.
I did 14 years ago. Civil Engineer Technologist - work as the Project Technologist in Public Works Department for a tribal council in NW Ontario. Travel mainly all over northern Ontario to remote native communities. I don't actually do any engineering, designing etc. I oversee consultants who do this for our First Nation communities. Project Management, Technical Advisory and applications & reports is what I do mostly.

We were looking for someone to be the O&M Tech. Couldn't find anyone for the longest time because no one wants to live up here. 6 hours NW of Thunder Bay, 5 hours NE of Winnipeg. I think they might have found someone who hasn't started yet though. I told them to just get a recent graduate and I'll train him/her. I think they got an electrician or something. I still have to train him.

Mad Habber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2012, 03:12 PM
The Russian General
#FireTherrien

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sined View Post

Po ltemps d'niaiser.

I just did a test at Eidos, hoping to land a job!
I knew that sooner or later, I would see this video here.

Les HFboarders niaisent pas.

The Russian General is offline   Reply With Quote