HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

are neck guards and wrist guards worth the money?

Old
08-16-2012, 08:04 AM
turbodaze

vCash: 500
are neck guards and wrist guards worth the money?

Are neck guards and wrist guards worth the money or even worth buying or will I be good?

I remember having a neck guard for paintball lol.

turbodaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2012, 08:39 AM
jorbjorb
BROWN TOWN

they're cheap anyways. It's up to you.

Last edited by Cowbell232: 08-16-2012 at 08:55 AM. Reason: Nope.
jorbjorb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2012, 08:56 AM
Cowbell232

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbodaze View Post
Are neck guards and wrist guards worth the money or even worth buying or will I be good?

I remember having a neck guard for paintball lol.
Wrist guards - probably not. If you get better elbow pads they're come all the way down to near your glove, and unless you're playing with some serious dirtbags or a serious level, you're not getting slashed up on the hands too bad.

But a neck guard? If you think you need one, they're definitely worth the money. There's a reason why programs like USA Hockey are enforcing kids to wear them.

08-16-2012, 10:01 AM
sanityplease

Neck guard, absolutely.

sanityplease is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2012, 10:22 AM
TieClark

Yeah Neck Guards are cheap and can save lives... I don't understand why kids want to get rid of them as fast as possible

TieClark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2012, 11:44 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Nothing to do with money because they are cheap, but worth the discomfort is the question.

I can't deal with the neck guard. Had to wear it last year of youth hockey, ugh.

Wrist guards are unnecessary for me because I'm short and have large elbow pads that cover the gap to my gloves.

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2012, 11:52 AM
Four Boilermakers
Sea Bass said that?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TieClark View Post
Yeah Neck Guards are cheap and can save lives... I don't understand why kids want to get rid of them as fast as possible
Because they are uncomfortable and look stupid.

Four Boilermakers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2012, 11:58 AM
Hank4Hart

are visors worth the money? its the same logic as the throat guard

Hank4Hart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2012, 12:41 PM
AIREAYE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hank4Hart View Post
are visors worth the money? its the same logic as the throat guard
Exactly

AIREAYE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2012, 01:06 PM
OneMoreAstronaut
Reduce chainsaw size

vCash: 1360
Quote:
Originally Posted by 96 View Post
Because they are uncomfortable and look stupid.
Yeah I thought that when I was 12 too.

OneMoreAstronaut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2012, 02:35 PM
opivy
Sauce King

Send a message via AIM to opivy Send a message via MSN to opivy Send a message via Yahoo to opivy
It's not too funny or "stupid" when your friend is laying there gasping for breath with eyes darting around in confusion, no way to fix the problem and no one around who has an answer. Arms clutching at themselves and nothing occuring.

My friend was lucky and was able to breathe when he calmed down slightly but he ended up not being able to play for the rest of the season. This was a baseball to the throat at the University of Toledo. I've seen what an object can do to someones throat and not wearing something so simple that can keep you not just safe but alive is just silly.

opivy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2012, 02:37 PM
Jacob8hockey*
Maple Leaf Fan

It's all about playing the odds with neck gaurds. I know that I haven't or none of my teammates have been slashed in the neck where a neckgaurd would have been needed. Bascially all the neckgaurd is for is protection from slashes/skate blades. A neckgaurd will do very little to protect your neck from a puck. If you haven't seen how thin they are then you should check one out.

If you think it is a risk you will take then don't bother.

Last edited by Jacob8hockey*: 08-16-2012 at 03:54 PM.
Jacob8hockey* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2012, 03:04 PM
Jacob8hockey*
Maple Leaf Fan

and yes a neckgaurd is worth buying, it is like 10-20$ and if you don't like it you didn't spend too much to get one.

Jacob8hockey* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2012, 03:22 PM
AIREAYE

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeafsJacob8 View Post
It's all about playing the odds with neck gaurds. I know that I haven't or none of my teammates have been slashed in the neck where a neck gaurd would have been needed. Bascially all the neckgaurd is for is protection from slashes/skate blades. A neckgaurd is do very little to protect your neck from a puck. If you haven't seen how thin they are then you should check one out.

Correct, Maltese does make an expensive gel guard that's supposed to protect against impacts too, but they're pricey and heavy.

AIREAYE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2012, 03:28 PM
Canadiens1958

Clint Malarchuk

Observe:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sdsGtdaATGI

at a local arena for youth or adult hockey you do not have the same medical care.

Canadiens1958 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2012, 03:58 PM
cptjeff
[insert joke here]

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeafsJacob8 View Post
It's all about playing the odds with neck gaurds. I know that I haven't or none of my teammates have been slashed in the neck where a neck gaurd would have been needed. Bascially all the neckgaurd is for is protection from slashes/skate blades. A neckgaurd is do very little to protect your neck from a puck. If you haven't seen how thin they are then you should check one out.

Pretty much. Neckguards are uncomfortable, and the accidents they do prevent are freakishly rare. Would you you make it a pain to get to your car in the morning by installing a system to defend your house from astroids?

You're talking about inconveinencing yourself to defend against an accident so vanishinly rare that you're most likley going to go for decades or an entire lifetime playing hockey without it happening to you anyone you know. Statistically, it just doen't happen. I probably have better odds of winning the lottery, and certainly have better odds of being struck by lightning sometime in my life. But I'm not gonna wear a hat with a lightning rod on it, am I?

Contrast that with a visor or cage, which one person compared it to. I wear a cage. I'd estimate I get dinged on it with a stick or a puck every three games or so. Maybe one in three of those might cause some damage. One in 100 of those might come towards my eye. The odds of something happening to my face are pretty high. The odds of something taking out an eye, while fairly low on a game to game basis, are on a human scale. If I don't protect myself, maybe I expect something to hurt my eye once a decade or so. So I protect myself. With a blade to the neck, the odds are such that I wouldn't expect it to ever happen to me within ten lifetimes of playing hockey. So I don't feel the need to deal with the discomfort.

cptjeff is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2012, 04:00 PM
cptjeff
[insert joke here]

On wrist guards- depends on your elbow pads amd your league. If your elbow pads are short and if your league can get chippy, they're a reasonable purchase. Despite pretty good coverage with my elbow pads, I've been slashed in there before, and it can hurt.

cptjeff is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2012, 04:18 PM
Hank4Hart

i wear my maltese gel combo designed for goalies even when i play out.

protection against cuts and slap shots to the throat. you dont feel a thing

http://maltesesports.com/products.html

its the GPS combo listed. its a tad more expensive cause its goalie gear but its the ultimate protection you can have

Hank4Hart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2012, 04:55 PM
TickleMeYandle
Not so fast,

Are the neck guards similar to the ones for speedskating (Short track)?

I have one already, but never thought to wear it for hockey.

TickleMeYandle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2012, 05:18 PM
Dustin Peener
Popular demand

vCash: 465
Goalie neck guards absolutely (real ones, not lexan's)
Player neck guards not really

Dustin Peener is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2012, 07:20 PM
Canadiens1958

Richard Zednik

Richard Zednick injury:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g-OsHA1cBjE

Canadiens1958 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2012, 07:48 PM
Killion
Global Moderator

... its a rare occurrence, cut to the neck, however even once in a generation is one too many times so ya, Id say the neck guards are a good idea through amateur. In addition to Zednik above, a goalie by the name of Kim Crouch in 1975 was playing Junior in Markham Ontario, got clipped by a skate for 40 stitches in the neck severing a major artery. If not for a fast thinking trainer, mightve died. He returned to playing but at a lower level, his Dad designing the Crouch Neck Protector which for the past 30+ years has been in constant & wide use with various innovations made along the way of course.

Killion is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2012, 08:28 PM
Gino 14

Your odds of being hit by lightning are probably higher than getting your neck slashed by a flying skate.

Gino 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2012, 08:49 PM
Killion
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gino 14 View Post
Your odds of being hit by lightning are probably higher than getting your neck slashed by a flying skate.
... very likely. Id absolutely recommend it for goalies but for F/D it should be optional.

Killion is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2012, 08:56 PM
tortoise

My neck was cut open by a skate last year. An opposing player tried to crash the net while I was closely checking him. His skate cut open my neck so quickly that I didn't even know I was bleeding, it was the ref who pointed it out. The cut was about two and a half inches long, but was only about an eighth of an inch deep. I was told later by a nurse that the cut was positioned exactly over the top of the jugular. You'd think I would now be wearing a BNQ neck protector, but I guess I'm too old, stupid and stubborn.

tortoise is offline   Reply With Quote