HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Detroit Red Wings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Wings to Cancel Prospects Tournament

Old
08-16-2012, 03:19 PM
SoupNazi
Global Moderator
No Soup for You!!!

vCash: 545
Wings to Cancel Prospects Tournament

Per Twitter. http://twitter.com/HeleneStJames/sta...91395315056640

Quote:
#RedWings to cancel prospects tournament in Traverse City. GM Ken Holland: "Due to uncertainty ... we have determined to cancel."
http://twitter.com/HeleneStJames/sta...95055612862464

Quote:
Spoke to DET GM Ken Holland. Said as far as #RedWings main training camp, hotel still booked, it's wait-and-see with CBA talks situation

SoupNazi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2012, 03:35 PM
Frk It
#FireHolland

vCash: 500
pretty pissed off

Frk It is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2012, 03:37 PM
Capsized
Parity is a Disease

Next stop, training camp. The prospect of a full season isn't looking good.

Capsized is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2012, 03:39 PM
JmanWingsFan
Your average Jman

As much as I understand that the CBA is key to a healthy league, I can't help but facepalm every time I think to myself how it's millionaires arguing with billionaires over money...

And this is costing us hockey, and the prospect tournament is now scrapped because of it.

JmanWingsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2012, 03:41 PM
Shoalzie

If we don't have hockey starting on time this year, I'm entirely on the players' side...not their fault the owners are bad with money.

Shoalzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2012, 03:49 PM
The Zetterberg Era
Nyquist Explosion!

vCash: 515
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoalzie View Post
If we don't have hockey starting on time this year, I'm entirely on the players' side...not their fault the owners are bad with money.
Could be, I would rather not be on either side both of them know what is at stake. I will have a hard time not being mad at both, especially with how long it took the players to actually get to the bargaining table. I mean Fehr has been saying all year we will get around to it and now seems upset that they are pressed for time, the owners demands are crazy, but how did it not happen in February is still my question?

The Zetterberg Era is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2012, 03:53 PM
WingedWheel1987
Ken Holland's office

Players will cave. The only uncertainty is when.

WingedWheel1987 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2012, 04:06 PM
mindfly
KEN HOLLAND OUT

Why do they need a new CBA just to host a prospect tournament?

mindfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2012, 04:09 PM
The Zetterberg Era
Nyquist Explosion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mindfly View Post
Why do they need a new CBA just to host a prospect tournament?
Sort of true. Problem is the organizations basically go into hiding whenever this happens. Having a place where you know 8 GMs are going to be and a ton of hockey people probably isn't what Ilitch and the Owners want if they lock the players out.

Old
08-16-2012, 04:13 PM
mindfly
KEN HOLLAND OUT

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedWings19405 View Post
Sort of true. Problem is the organizations basically go into hiding whenever this happens. Having a place where you know 8 GMs are going to be and a ton of hockey people probably isn't what Ilitch and the Owners want if they lock the players out.
I never understood the details in this whole mess and I still don't understand why Illitch would be pissed off if the prospects (who won't play on the wings this year) played a tournament.

Isn't this whole issue more about the economy of the phoenixs, floridas, carolinas etc, IIRC Illitch and DRW is a pretty wealthy franchise...

mindfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2012, 04:21 PM
WingedWheel1987
Ken Holland's office

Quote:
Originally Posted by mindfly View Post
I never understood the details in this whole mess and I still don't understand why Illitch would be pissed off if the prospects (who won't play on the wings this year) played a tournament.

Isn't this whole issue more about the economy of the phoenixs, floridas, carolinas etc, IIRC Illitch and DRW is a pretty wealthy franchise...
You have to be united. You cant have owners and players mingling during CBA negotiations. It reflects poorly on the players and owners.

Illitch isnt mad at the prospects, but its just how these things go in professional sports.

WingedWheel1987 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2012, 04:50 PM
The Zetterberg Era
Nyquist Explosion!

This is not a good sign as far as I am concerned with how ownership feels the negotiations are going.

Old
08-16-2012, 05:13 PM
jaster
glendeningforcaptain

I have zero expectation that this season will start on time. Hopefully it will be going by the end of December though, obviously. And hopefully DirecTV doesn't charge me for a whole season

jaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2012, 05:23 PM
GT500x
Im OK where we're at

Ffffffuuuuuuuuu#%! D:

GT500x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2012, 06:57 PM
Konnan511
#Loyalty

Send a message via AIM to Konnan511
Wings called in today and cancelled all their rooms

Konnan511 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2012, 07:59 PM
Harnessed in Slums

This ****ing pisses me off. Of course it's the owners' fault but they can lock the players out and eventually the players will cave. The players can take as strong a stand as they like, but we won't see another NHL game unless the owners get a new CBA to their liking. In the meantime it will kill the league and will basically be a big **** you to the fans who support the game.

I'm so ****ing sick of Gary Bettman and the piece of **** owners who need to kill the game because their franchises ****ing suck ass.

Harnessed in Slums is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2012, 09:06 PM
VladTheImpaler
Go Wings

Third lockout under Bettman's leadership. Inexcusable.

VladTheImpaler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2012, 09:20 PM
JmanWingsFan
Your average Jman

You. Gotta. Be. Kidding. Me. FRK THEM ALL!

JmanWingsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2012, 09:52 PM
crashman

vCash: 1376
Quote:
Originally Posted by fabricoh View Post
This ****ing pisses me off. Of course it's the owners' fault but they can lock the players out and eventually the players will cave. The players can take as strong a stand as they like, but we won't see another NHL game unless the owners get a new CBA to their liking. In the meantime it will kill the league and will basically be a big **** you to the fans who support the game.

I'm so ****ing sick of Gary Bettman and the piece of **** owners who need to kill the game because their franchises ****ing suck ass.

I hear ya. I'm getting tired of the NHL's bush league status. They need to accept the fact that there's not a huge market for hockey in the US and eliminate a few of these struggling teams.

I don't know if my loyalty to the NHL will survive another lockout so soon. The way the game is played and officiated is already making me lose some interest.

crashman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2012, 09:56 PM
hockeyisforeveryone

vCash: 420
An NHL lockout is (almost) meaningless if you yourself play the game of ice hockey. All I really care about this month is the new equipment I'm breaking in and getting my team's roster locked down. If there is a lockout the only way to keep any thread of sanity will be to at least get some skates and go find some ice.

Still sorry there will be no prospect tourney though.

hockeyisforeveryone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2012, 09:56 PM
SoupNazi
Global Moderator
No Soup for You!!!

vCash: 545
Quote:
Originally Posted by VladTheImpaler View Post
Third lockout under Bettman's leadership. Inexcusable.
This.

SoupNazi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2012, 10:13 PM
Vatican Roulette
Mona Lisa Lily

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoupNazi View Post
This.
+2

Lockout's aren't good for either side at this moment. I hope both parties realize that, before they collectively shoot themselves in the foot.

----------------------------------

Crazy, dumb, borderline mouthbreather question.

Could there a possibility of another league starting in the next 10 years? I'm thinking something along the lines of the WHA. Not the KHL, cause it basically acquires most europeans and high level AHLers. I'm asking about more of a NA league.

Am I out to lunch?

Vatican Roulette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2012, 10:16 PM
Harnessed in Slums

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyisforeveryone View Post
An NHL lockout is (almost) meaningless if you yourself play the game of ice hockey. All I really care about this month is the new equipment I'm breaking in and getting my team's roster locked down. If there is a lockout the only way to keep any thread of sanity will be to at least get some skates and go find some ice.

Still sorry there will be no prospect tourney though.
No offense, but hey, why don't you go to the forum where everyone is eagerly talking about your team and the league you play in. What's that, there isn't one? No one thought there'd be the slightest interest in talking about your league? Big bummer there, pal.

Sorry, but you're basically being the spokesperson for the Iraq govt who claimed Iraq was stoutly defending it's nation against the infidels while in the background there were images of US tanks rolling down the streets of Baghdad.

Old
08-16-2012, 10:43 PM
hockeyisforeveryone

vCash: 420
Quote:
Originally Posted by fabricoh View Post
No offense, but hey, why don't you go to the forum where everyone is eagerly talking about your team and the league you play in. What's that, there isn't one? No one thought there'd be the slightest interest in talking about your league? Big bummer there, pal.

Sorry, but you're basically being the spokesperson for the Iraq govt who claimed Iraq was stoutly defending it's nation against the infidels while in the background there were images of US tanks rolling down the streets of Baghdad.
There is a forum here where we do, called "the rink".

I just feel that if you are an ice hockey player not getting to watch other men play the game isn't the end of the world. I still feel at this point that the NHL players and owners will iron out any remaining wrinkles. The current article on NHL.com is encouraging and positive that a new agreement will be made. Fret not, bro.

hockeyisforeveryone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2012, 10:53 PM
Harnessed in Slums

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyisforeveryone View Post
There is a forum here where we do, called "the rink".

I just feel that if you are an ice hockey player not getting to watch other men play the game isn't the end of the world. I still feel at this point that the NHL players and owners will iron out any remaining wrinkles. The current article on NHL.com is encouraging and positive that a new agreement will be made. Fret not, bro.
Yes, it is a thread about hockey equipment, which is all well and good. It doesn't have anything to do with your league or your team. By all means enjoy playing the game but the vast majority are here to talk about the NHL. So wait, the NHL website tells people to relax and not worry. Like Baghdad Bob! Well that's certainly comforting.