HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Anaheim Ducks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Mighty Ducks/Ducks players who will get their number retired?

Old
08-12-2012, 06:18 AM
Corey Perry*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul4587 View Post
That's because Hiller came into the league in an era where save % has never been higher. Not to mention, it's a pretty flawed stat also.
I realize that, but I just thought that it was interesting.

Corey Perry* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2012, 08:28 AM
mightyquack
You're the man Teemu

Quote:
Originally Posted by justheducks View Post
In this order...

#9 (you have to retire his number. If it wasn't for Kariya, you may not have Ryan, Getzlaf, Perry or an Anaheim team period. He brought hockey to Anaheim. Yes he left in a terrible way but lets try and remember what he DID for the Ducks while there.)

For short term time with Ducks you have to throw in #77 Oates. The best passer to ever wear a Ducks uniform.
The only way #9 is retired is if Bobby Ryan becomes a lifetime Duck

mightyquack is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2012, 01:30 PM
navyduck

Quote:
Originally Posted by justheducks View Post
In this order...

#9 (you have to retire his number. If it wasn't for Kariya, you may not have Ryan, Getzlaf, Perry or an Anaheim team period. He brought hockey to Anaheim. Yes he left in a terrible way but lets try and remember what he DID for the Ducks while there.)

For short term time with Ducks you have to throw in #77 Oates. The best passer to ever wear a Ducks uniform.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mightyquack View Post
The only way #9 is retired is if Bobby Ryan becomes a lifetime Duck

As of now, I would agree.

The retiring of a number is pretty much the best way an organization can show it's gratitude toward a player for his service to their team.

With the way the whole Kariya thing went down, do you honestly believe the organization would extend that honor to him?

For me, I don't.

navyduck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2012, 02:24 PM
justheducks

Send a message via AIM to justheducks
Quote:
Originally Posted by navyduck View Post
As of now, I would agree.

The retiring of a number is pretty much the best way an organization can show it's gratitude toward a player for his service to their team.

With the way the whole Kariya thing went down, do you honestly believe the organization would extend that honor to him?

For me, I don't.
I do, I mean in reality he told the Ducks he wanted to come back but he was a free agent. He had the rights to choose where ever he wanted to go.
Also, you can put some of the blame on Teemu. I am sure I will get flamed for this and don't get me wrong Teemu is one of my favorite players of all time but he had a huge influence on where Kariya went and he and Kariya sat down and Teemu wanted to go to Colorado to win a cup. He could have easily come to Anaheim and Kariya would have signed here too. God who knows maybe we signed Fedorov too and had one of the best lines in NHL history.
Kariya-Fedorov-Teemu would have been nasty.
So you can't pull all the blame on Kariya. He's no Schultz.

justheducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2012, 03:05 PM
Eddie Shack
Bamboo Harvester

Can we please take all the Kariya discussion to the specific thread where it was already beat to death? Let's not re-start it here.

Eddie Shack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2012, 04:53 PM
Disgruntled Goat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddie Shack View Post
Can we please take all the Kariya discussion to the specific thread where it was already beat to death? Let's not re-start it here.
I've said it before, and I'll say it again, somebody brings up the Kariya thing on here at least every 6 months

Disgruntled Goat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2012, 05:20 PM
Eddie Shack
Bamboo Harvester

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disgruntled Goat View Post
I've said it before, and I'll say it again, somebody brings up the Kariya thing on here at least every 6 months
But since April of this year it has it's own home, so maybe it can stay tightly wound in it's own cocoon?

http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh...ghlight=kariya

Eddie Shack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2012, 05:07 PM
8inblack

Send a message via AIM to 8inblack Send a message via Yahoo to 8inblack
I kind of disagree that Giguere was key in the 07 run. I really think we would have won with Bryz.

8inblack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2012, 06:16 PM
Sojourn
Global Moderator
Where's the kaboom?

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8inblack View Post
I kind of disagree that Giguere was key in the 07 run. I really think we would have won with Bryz.
The Detroit series would tend to disagree. That series was too close for our goalie to not be Giguere. If Giguere isn't the best goalie in that series, it's very possible the Ducks don't make it to the Cup Finals. The bottom line is that the 2007 team had a tendency to take the occasional game, or period off. Giguere was instrumental in surviving the onslaught, and giving the team a chance to wake up, and the number of one goal games that Anaheim was able to win is a testament to not just the defense, but the goaltending.

Sojourn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2012, 11:50 PM
navyduck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sojourn View Post
The Detroit series would tend to disagree. That series was too close for our goalie to not be Giguere. If Giguere isn't the best goalie in that series, it's very possible the Ducks don't make it to the Cup Finals. The bottom line is that the 2007 team had a tendency to take the occasional game, or period off. Giguere was instrumental in surviving the onslaught, and giving the team a chance to wake up, and the number of one goal games that Anaheim was able to win is a testament to not just the defense, but the goaltending.
Especially game's 5 and 6

navyduck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2012, 12:27 PM
justheducks

Send a message via AIM to justheducks
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sojourn View Post
I actually think that Giguere was okay in the 07' playoffs and I would tend to agree that Bryz could have won it for us as well.
Now don't get me wrong, in 03' Giguere was ridiculous and deserved is number retired just in that season!

justheducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2012, 05:59 PM
8inblack

Send a message via AIM to 8inblack Send a message via Yahoo to 8inblack
Quote:
Originally Posted by navyduck View Post
Especially game's 5 and 6
Game 5 is really the strongest point for Giguere, but Niedermayer and Pronger + the shutdown line really helped him out.

I don't agree that the Detroit series was as close as people think. Detroit got SHELLED in game 6. The reason it ended up being a close game was because the Ducks were on the Penalty Kill almost entirely for the last 10 minutes of the game.

I actually think the Vancouver series was tougher. The Ducks could have easily been down 3-1 in that series DUE to Gigueres goal tending.

8inblack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2012, 07:43 PM
Paul4587

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8inblack View Post
I actually think the Vancouver series was tougher. The Ducks could have easily been down 3-1 in that series DUE to Gigueres goal tending.
Really? They would have been down 3-1 because of Gigueres goal-tending even though he only allowed 7 goals in the first four games and outplayed Luongo who most regarded as the best goalie in the league at that point.

And Giguere was huge in the Detroit series, we don't win that with Bryzgalov in net. Without his game 5 effort, Anaheim doesn't have a cup.

Paul4587 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2012, 09:38 PM
la patineuse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul4587 View Post
Really? They would have been down 3-1 because of Gigueres goal-tending even though he only allowed 7 goals in the first four games and outplayed Luongo who most regarded as the best goalie in the league at that point.

And Giguere was huge in the Detroit series, we don't win that with Bryzgalov in net. Without his game 5 effort, Anaheim doesn't have a cup.
Exactly. And I'll add that Giguere was great in game 4 of the finals, especially in the first two periods.

I also think that he was a great leader off the ice. After the Ducks lost games 1 and 2 on the road in NJ, people were saying the Ducks had no business being in the SCF, it was Giguere, not the Ducks captain, who stood in front of the media and defended his team, saying they were a good team and deserved to be there.

And in 2007, during game 4 of the finals, Giguere stood up in the lockerroom between periods after the Ducks were being horribly outplayed by the Sens, and must have said something to the team. Whatever he said, along with the other team leaders, resonated with them because they played much better after that and went on to win. Todd Marchant recounted what happened on the Ducks Stanley Cup DVD. He said after the game, on the team bus, Giguere asked him if he went overboard and Marchant told him no, it was a wake up call and he said what needed to be said. And on the same DVD, Teemu said he was just warrior and the he was so proud of that guy and Rob said he (Giguere) was a guy you want in your foxhole. I don't think there was any question in the team's mind who their #1 goalie was at that time.

la patineuse is offline   Reply With Quote