HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

HF Beer Thread

Old
08-16-2012, 03:43 PM
cfrancis

vCash: 5380
Send a message via AIM to cfrancis
I've only ever had their Dank Tank Imperial Pilsner. It was awesome and I've only heard good things on Sweetwater.

cfrancis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2012, 05:09 PM
Rita12

vCash: 500
Do they have Cristal beer (Cuba) at that Sherbrooke liquor store?

Rita12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2012, 10:09 AM
Reimer
Tambo Troll Face

Quote:
Originally Posted by BleedOil83 View Post
Innis & Gunn just released a special edition Scottish Pale Ale - purple label. Delicious if you can get your hands on it. I haven't looked that hard because I just bought the entire case at a friend's liquor store.
Yeah I grabbed a couple of these at Sherbrooke a couple weeks ago. Probably my personal favorite Innis that I've tasted but that because I absolutely love the hopp flavor.

Also I tasted a Canada Day 2012 and 2011 side by side. Prior to the tasting I had a 2011 last year and didn't really like it and then took a keen liking to the 2012 this year when I tried it. However after trying both of them side by side the 2011 blew the 2012 out of the water, I'm sure that beer got far better with age. I'm going to let my other 2012 cellar until next year and try it side by side the 2013.

Reimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2012, 10:13 AM
Reimer
Tambo Troll Face

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rita12 View Post
Do they have Cristal beer (Cuba) at that Sherbrooke liquor store?
I've personally never seen it myself but I've also never looked for it. A great site to see who has ordered what in the ast is this:

http://www.liquorconnect.com/Pages/default.aspx

Old
08-17-2012, 10:16 AM
Reimer
Tambo Troll Face

Also has anyone out east tried Great Lakes Brewery's Belgian Saisson? I keep hearing great things about it, curious to know if it's anygood.

Old
08-17-2012, 01:33 PM
cfrancis

I had the cask version last weekend at a cask festival. I'll be picking up a bottle when it gets released. You need one?!

Old
08-17-2012, 01:37 PM
cfrancis

I know you said you like Shipyard. Just an FYI LCBO is doing a Shipyard Feature

Pugsley’s Signature Series Imperial Porter/625mL/$7.95

Pugsley’s Signature Series XXXX IPA/625mL/$7.95

Pugsley’s Signature Series Barley Wine/625mL/$7.95

Pugsley’s Signature Series Smashed Pumpking/625mL/$7.95

They also have a couple bottles of the Blueberry Stout kicking around if you are interested let me know and I'll pick some up for you.

Here is the rest of the Autumn Release:

Pauwel Kwak/330mL/$3.50/Belgium

Tripel Karmeliet/330mL/$3.50/Belgium

Cannery Squire Scotch Ale/650mL/$5.80/Canada

Cannery Blackberry Porter/650mL/$5.80/Canada

Garrison Imperial IPA/500mL/$4.25/Canada

Ayinger Celebrator/330mL/$3.75/Germany

Weihenstephaner Hefeweissbier Dunkel/500mL/$3.50/Germany

Koningshoeven (La Trappe) St. Isid’Or/750mL/$6.50/Netherlands

Renaissance Craftsman Oatmeal Chocolate Stout/500mL/$5.95/New Zealand

Box Steam Funnel Blower/500mL/$3.95/United Kingdom

Meantime London Porter/750mL/$7.25/United Kingdom

St. Peter’s The Saints Whisky Beer/500mL/$3.95/United Kingdom

Celt Bronze Crafted Ale/500mL/$3.65/United Kingdom

Southern Tier Mokah/650mL/$9.85/United States

Old
08-17-2012, 01:59 PM
Reimer
Tambo Troll Face

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfrancis View Post
I know you said you like Shipyard. Just an FYI LCBO is doing a Shipyard Feature

Pugsley’s Signature Series Imperial Porter/625mL/$7.95

Pugsley’s Signature Series XXXX IPA/625mL/$7.95

Pugsley’s Signature Series Barley Wine/625mL/$7.95

Pugsley’s Signature Series Smashed Pumpking/625mL/$7.95

They also have a couple bottles of the Blueberry Stout kicking around if you are interested let me know and I'll pick some up for you.

Here is the rest of the Autumn Release:

Pauwel Kwak/330mL/$3.50/Belgium

Tripel Karmeliet/330mL/$3.50/Belgium

Cannery Squire Scotch Ale/650mL/$5.80/Canada

Cannery Blackberry Porter/650mL/$5.80/Canada

Garrison Imperial IPA/500mL/$4.25/Canada

Ayinger Celebrator/330mL/$3.75/Germany

Weihenstephaner Hefeweissbier Dunkel/500mL/$3.50/Germany

Koningshoeven (La Trappe) St. Isid’Or/750mL/$6.50/Netherlands

Renaissance Craftsman Oatmeal Chocolate Stout/500mL/$5.95/New Zealand

Box Steam Funnel Blower/500mL/$3.95/United Kingdom

Meantime London Porter/750mL/$7.25/United Kingdom

St. Peter’s The Saints Whisky Beer/500mL/$3.95/United Kingdom

Celt Bronze Crafted Ale/500mL/$3.65/United Kingdom

Southern Tier Mokah/650mL/$9.85/United States
Oh man Celebrator is a fantastic beer. I absolutely love that beer.

As for the shipyard stuff yeah I didn't really care for the regular line up but the signature series stuff was awesome, I tried it all except for the Barley Wine last year. Yeah I'd love to get a bottle of each(including the blueberry stout, heard this one was tasty) if you could as well as the GLB Belgian Saisson. Also I think that price is cheaper than what I paid for the Shipyard beers at the brewery.

Also this makes it easier for me in deciding what to bring back in my suitcase from my trip. It will be nice brining back some Canadian stuff as it won't count against my exemption it will just be the packing and weight issue in my suitcase that I'll have to deal with. So yeah if you could send me that shipyard that you listed that would be awesome.

Have you tried any of the beers I sent you?

Last edited by Reimer: 08-17-2012 at 02:06 PM.
Old
08-17-2012, 11:56 PM
BleedOil83

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reimer View Post
Yeah I grabbed a couple of these at Sherbrooke a couple weeks ago. Probably my personal favorite Innis that I've tasted but that because I absolutely love the hopp flavor.

Also I tasted a Canada Day 2012 and 2011 side by side. Prior to the tasting I had a 2011 last year and didn't really like it and then took a keen liking to the 2012 this year when I tried it. However after trying both of them side by side the 2011 blew the 2012 out of the water, I'm sure that beer got far better with age. I'm going to let my other 2012 cellar until next year and try it side by side the 2013.
Hold the phone - do you have any 2011 Canada Day left!?!?!? Can I buy it off of you? That is my favorite beer of all time, hands down. PM me if you do!

BleedOil83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2012, 12:03 PM
Reimer
Tambo Troll Face

Quote:
Originally Posted by BleedOil83 View Post
Hold the phone - do you have any 2011 Canada Day left!?!?!? Can I buy it off of you? That is my favorite beer of all time, hands down. PM me if you do!
Yeah I still have one. I got 6 of them this year on Canada Day when Sherbrooke did their special sale. You had to $18.63 and they would allow you to purchase up to 6 I&G Canada Day for $0.50 cents each.

As for the 2011 when I was at Sherbrooke last weekend they still had a handful on the shelf, I'd go check there man.

Old
08-19-2012, 05:13 PM
Tangerine
Tier II Fan

vCash: 120
I bought a case of Moosehead light lime today. I like moosehead so I thought I'd give this a go. Having tried Bud light lime, Big Rock Lime and Miller chill, I can say this is better than any of them. It actually has taste to it and is not too "limey", and it is free of that metallic taste sometimes found in those big American light brews.

At the end of the day, it's still a light beer, but certainly one of the better ones I've tried.

Tangerine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2012, 09:50 PM
Reimer
Tambo Troll Face

So I was our taking a gander for some beers on Friday night and I made 2 amazing discoveries. Sometimes I like to think this is one of the perks of living in Leduc. First I was at the Safeway liquor store and much to my surprise I found 2 6-packs of Red Racer IPA sitting on the shelf and I quickly grabbed both. I was never able to get my hands on this beer before Red racer pulled out of Alberta and everyone cracked this beer up to be one of the best IPA's out there. I must say that it definitely didn't dissapoint. Probably my favorite IPA(NA IPA anyhow) to this point definitely beating out Brew Dogs Punk IPA.

Next I went to Co-Opliquor to get my girlfriend some of "her" beer and much to my surprise there was one bottle of Phillips Double Barrel sitting on the shelf. This is my ultimate favorite barrel aged beer as this beer was initially aged in bourbon barrels and then matured in Chardonnay barrels afterwards. Phillips did this as a limited release back in the fall and to my knowledge it was long out everywhere.

cfrancis have you tried Red Racer before?

Old
08-20-2012, 12:50 AM
Kekumba

Send a message via AIM to Kekumba Send a message via MSN to Kekumba Send a message via Skype™ to Kekumba
Not sure how I ended up in the Oilers beer thread, but...

I love Red Racer. I'm scared they're one day gonna stop sending it to Ontario so I always grab a bunch when I see it. Definitely my favourite IPA brewed in Canada. Good job grabbing those six packs.

Kekumba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2012, 09:53 AM
cfrancis

Quote:

Red Racer is just starting to show up now as a regular item in Ontario. I grabbed a case a couple of months ago and just finished it off this weekend at the boys cottage weekend.

It's a fabulous beer.

But you guys are scaring me with this talk of them pulling out of AB. I hope that Ontario isn't on the cutting room floor.

I haven't had anything from your box yet. I was gone for the weekend and only had ****** keg beer and my Red Racer to give me a pick me up every three or four beers.

Old
08-20-2012, 10:03 AM
Reimer
Tambo Troll Face

Quote:
Red Racer is just starting to show up now as a regular item in Ontario. I grabbed a case a couple of months ago and just finished it off this weekend at the boys cottage weekend.

It's a fabulous beer.

But you guys are scaring me with this talk of them pulling out of AB. I hope that Ontario isn't on the cutting room floor.

I haven't had anything from your box yet. I was gone for the weekend and only had ****** keg beer and my Red Racer to give me a pick me up every three or four beers.
That's a solid ass pick me up for sure. I love the way the suds lace the glass. Haven't seen a beer that does it as well as the Red Racer, most other beers will stick around for a bit and then dissapate after a bit. The Red Racer lace just stuck around and I probably sipped on it over a 90-minute period.

As for them pulling out of AB they did so back in April or May. So if they haven't pulled out of ON yet then I wouldn't worry about it. Still have no idea why they pulled out of AB and they never respond to any tweets asking such a question either.

After tasting this fabulous IPA I wonder what their ESB tastes like. That's a style that when done right is phenomenal otherwise it just ends up being okay to whatever.

Old
08-20-2012, 10:05 AM
Reimer
Tambo Troll Face

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kekumba View Post
Not sure how I ended up in the Oilers beer thread, but...

I love Red Racer. I'm scared they're one day gonna stop sending it to Ontario so I always grab a bunch when I see it. Definitely my favourite IPA brewed in Canada. Good job grabbing those six packs.
Hey no worries. To secure some of this beer I really should just travel to Vancouver and visit the brew pub.

Old
08-20-2012, 10:30 AM
Matt Ryan
Falcons Rise Up

vCash: 50
Forced by dad to drink delirium and innis & gunn yesterday.

He forced me to drink

Matt Ryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2012, 10:41 AM
Reimer
Tambo Troll Face

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huge for Nuge View Post

He forced me to drink
Looks like a win/win for both sides.

Old
08-20-2012, 11:24 AM
Pterodactyl
Houston Texans Balla

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huge for Nuge View Post

He forced me to drink

I need to get me some of that

Pterodactyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2012, 05:23 PM
jbean

Quote:
As for them pulling out of AB they did so back in April or May. So if they haven't pulled out of ON yet then I wouldn't worry about it. Still have no idea why they pulled out of AB and they never respond to any tweets asking such a question either.
I heard a rumour that the reason they pulled out of AB was because of displeasure over the enbridge gateway pipeline. I work at a liquor store and the source was fairly but not 100% reliable. Could be total BS but I wouldn't be all that suprised if it was true or atleast a contributing factor -- the timing atleast makes perfect sense.

I also heard they just had beer shortages, but I don't know why they would ship to Ontario and not to their next door neighbours.

Whatever the reason I dreadfully miss red racer, please come back. : (

jbean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2012, 10:19 AM
Reimer
Tambo Troll Face

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbean View Post
I heard a rumour that the reason they pulled out of AB was because of displeasure over the enbridge gateway pipeline. I work at a liquor store and the source was fairly but not 100% reliable. Could be total BS but I wouldn't be all that suprised if it was true or atleast a contributing factor -- the timing atleast makes perfect sense.

I also heard they just had beer shortages, but I don't know why they would ship to Ontario and not to their next door neighbours.

Whatever the reason I dreadfully miss red racer, please come back. : (
Well with Ontario being a bigger market and they first shipment of the IPA selling out in 3 days would be pretty good reason to ship as much of their resources out there.

Hopefully with the gateway pipeline being squashed they will eventually return. It's understandable to take a political stance against the province especially when alcohol is heavily government taxed in AB.

Old
08-22-2012, 10:22 AM
cfrancis

Ontario is probably a bigger market and and easier shipping. We only have the government run LCBO. So they ship to one place, Toronto and their distributor puts it around. Probably a little more cost effective.

Also Ontario prices their beer super stupid. Instead of pricing it based on margins, they price it based on what their perception of the price should be in the market and work it backwards. So they could essentially pay more to a wholesaler than the beer is originally priced at in order to work into their pricing scheme.

Yeah, I love the LCBO

Old
08-22-2012, 10:28 AM
Reimer
Tambo Troll Face

Quote:
Ontario is probably a bigger market and and easier shipping. We only have the government run LCBO. So they ship to one place, Toronto and their distributor puts it around. Probably a little more cost effective.

Also Ontario prices their beer super stupid. Instead of pricing it based on margins, they price it based on what their perception of the price should be in the market and work it backwards. So they could essentially pay more to a wholesaler than the beer is originally priced at in order to work into their pricing scheme.

Yeah, I love the LCBO
Yeah there are definitely positives and negatives to the government controlling liquor.

Can you get the Quidi Vidi Iceberg beer out there?

Old
08-23-2012, 10:29 PM
northern2020

Quote:
So I was our taking a gander for some beers on Friday night and I made 2 amazing discoveries. Sometimes I like to think this is one of the perks of living in Leduc. First I was at the Safeway liquor store and much to my surprise I found 2 6-packs of Red Racer IPA sitting on the shelf and I quickly grabbed both. I was never able to get my hands on this beer before Red racer pulled out of Alberta and everyone cracked this beer up to be one of the best IPA's out there. I must say that it definitely didn't dissapoint. Probably my favorite IPA(NA IPA anyhow) to this point definitely beating out Brew Dogs Punk IPA.

Next I went to Co-Opliquor to get my girlfriend some of "her" beer and much to my surprise there was one bottle of Phillips Double Barrel sitting on the shelf. This is my ultimate favorite barrel aged beer as this beer was initially aged in bourbon barrels and then matured in Chardonnay barrels afterwards. Phillips did this as a limited release back in the fall and to my knowledge it was long out everywhere.

If your digging the red racer IPA then you would like

1) Garrison Imperial ( Imperial designate 100 IBU minimum )

2) Phillips Hop Circle IPA

3) Red Rogue IPA

4) Fat Tug IPA ( only in BC if your going that way )

5) Phillips Hopernation

6) Tree Brewing Hop IPA + the seasonal double IPA

7) alley cat Red Dragon double IPA

northern2020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-24-2012, 12:01 PM
Reimer
Tambo Troll Face

Quote:
Originally Posted by northern2020 View Post
If your digging the red racer IPA then you would like

1) Garrison Imperial ( Imperial designate 100 IBU minimum )

2) Phillips Hop Circle IPA

3) Red Rogue IPA

4) Fat Tug IPA ( only in BC if your going that way )

5) Phillips Hopernation

6) Tree Brewing Hop IPA + the seasonal double IPA

7) alley cat Red Dragon double IPA
I've had all of those except for 3 & 4. I also think you are mixing up the name for number 3. What brewery makes that one? As for the others they are all fantastic. The Garisson is probably my favorite on that entire list although the Red Dragon is pretty damn close and I only ever had like 2 or 3 bottles of it.

As for the "imperial" marking it doesn't really relate to IBU's at all. Generally when a beer is in the imperial category it just means it will have more malts and fermentable sugars in the beer. Basically the beers starting gravity will be much higher due to the extra malt used in the brewing process. To offset the extra sweetness and higher alcohol level that are common with these types of beers more hopps are often used to balance the flavors. Whether or not the ibu's get to 100 is not a signature of the style but probably dependant on how much extra malts are used. You can have an imperial IPA come in anywhere from 6.5% to possibly 10%. The ones with the higher alchohol will almost more than likely have a higher IBU and could be around that 100 mark but also they may not be.

Double IPA's are more commonly found around the 100 IBU but again it's not a directive for the style but rather a general benchmark. However the Alley Kat Dragon series double ipa's only come in around the 70 IBU mark.