HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Drafts since 2004

Old
08-16-2012, 05:46 PM
DJOpus

vCash: 500
Drafts since 2004

Didn't really feel like doing work so today I went through a bunch of scouting service rankings and I would like to know which of these lists would you have rather drafted:

----------------1------------2------------3-------------4------------5-----------6
2004 - 26 - Schneider-- Bolland----- Bolland----- Graham----- Bolland---- Green
2005 - 10 - Bourdon---- Kopitar ---- M. Staal----- Kopitar----- Kopitar---- Skille
2006 - 14 - Grabner---- Sanguinetti- C. Stewart-- Vasyunov--- C. Stewart- William
2007 - 25 - White------ Petrecki ----- Perron------ Mayorov---- Perron----- Katic
2008 - 10 - Hodgson--- Hodgson----- Hodgson--- Hodgson---- Myers------ Petrov
2009 - 22 - Schroeder-- Schroeder--- Schroeder-- Schroeder-- Schroeder-- Schroeder
2010 - NA - Ballard----- Etem--------- Merrill------ Merrill------ Kuznetsov- Merrill
2011 - 29 - Jensen------ Saad--------- Saad------ Grimaldi----- Rattie------ Khokhlachev
2012 - 26 - Gaunce----- Gaunce------- Gaunce---- Gaunce----- Gaunce---- Finn

I used CSB, ISS, Red Line Report, and TSN's pre-draft rankings to make these lists. I decided to avoid all goalies since they are usually ranked seperately. Sometimes services release multiple lists so I used real draft order to decide on stuff like NA vs Intl players or defense vs forwards. If anyone has ISS' list from 2004 I would like to confirm their pick on the final list.

Interesting to note that in 3 of the 4 Gillis years, where we had a pick, we picked exactly who people projected that we'd pick.

Personally I like #5 the best. I'd say if we followed that list, we'd have a Cup by now.

Last edited by DJOpus: 08-17-2012 at 07:08 AM. Reason: re-evaluated which list I like best
DJOpus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2012, 06:03 PM
4thlinegrinders

vCash: 50
5 is the correct answer

4thlinegrinders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2012, 06:08 PM
Bleach Clean

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4thlinegrinders View Post
5 is the correct answer

Agreed.

Bleach Clean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2012, 06:34 PM
DJOpus

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4thlinegrinders View Post
5 is the correct answer
Yep, re-evaluated, prioritized Kopitar and Myers.

#5 is CSB's pre-draft list combined NA + Europe list (I took the top guy left on NA list and Euro list and picked the one that was actually drafted higher on draft day).

Last edited by DJOpus: 08-16-2012 at 07:56 PM.
Old
08-16-2012, 06:45 PM
JohnWayne

prior to this draft a bunch of us on the draft board created a seperate discussion board and did a redraft for all teams. Results were interesting

JohnWayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2012, 06:53 PM
Lard_Lad

Who's 4? That seems to be all obvious guys who dropped and reaches that turned out terribly.

Lard_Lad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2012, 07:16 PM
Mason10
Bacon

Perron..the one that got away

Mason10 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2012, 08:01 PM
DJOpus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lard_Lad View Post
Who's 4? That seems to be all obvious guys who dropped and reaches that turned out terribly.
4 is ISS but Graham I'm not sure about as I could only find their top 15 which were all taken and I know they had him in the early 20s.

Old
08-16-2012, 08:03 PM
DJOpus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mason10 View Post
Perron..the one that got away
Kopitar is the one that got away. With all due respect to Bourdon.

Old
08-16-2012, 08:09 PM
Samzilla

vCash: 934
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJOpus View Post
Kopitar is the one that got away. With all due respect to Bourdon.
I'm fairly certain Bourdon would be awesome right now if he were still with us, so we wouldn't really be thinking of Kopitar as the one who got away because we'd have something to show for that draft pick. Just my opinion. I know some think differently about Bourdon.

Samzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2012, 08:14 PM
Lard_Lad

Quote:
4 is ISS but Graham I'm not sure about as I could only find their top 15 which were all taken and I know they had him in the early 20s.
23rd, looks like, so higher than we were picking. That would've been a Patrick White-level pick.

Lard_Lad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2012, 08:16 PM
Nick the Viking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samzilla View Post
I'm fairly certain Bourdon would be awesome right now if he were still with us, so we wouldn't really be thinking of Kopitar as the one who got away because we'd have something to show for that draft pick. Just my opinion. I know some think differently about Bourdon.
Ya I agree - Bourdon would be a top4 dman now and that would make me not regret not getting Myers, who I think is the real one who got away ... but I'm still hoping the Hodgson pick turns out (ie Kassian)

Nick the Viking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2012, 09:33 PM
Henrik To Daniel

if we had drafted mike green instead of schneider our defense would be money right now and we wouldn't have this goaltending fiasco

Henrik To Daniel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2012, 12:53 AM
me2
Seahawks 43

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Samzilla View Post
Kopitar >> any Dman we have now or even since we passed on him. I can't see Kopitar being anything but a big jump up in value on Bourdon (RIP), but hey miracles can happen.

me2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2012, 02:24 AM
Wisp

It always perplexes me why do people do this to themselves. Not saying its a waste of time... redrafts are always interesting... just, a lot of people agonize over this what-if stuff.

Wisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2012, 07:06 AM
DJOpus

Quote:
Didn't really feel like doing work so today I went through a bunch of scouting service rankings and I would like to know which of these lists would you have rather drafted:

----------------1------------2------------3-------------4------------5-----------6
2004 - 26 - Schneider-- Bolland----- Bolland----- Graham----- Bolland---- Green
2005 - 10 - Bourdon---- Kopitar ---- M. Staal----- Kopitar----- Kopitar---- Skille
2006 - 14 - Grabner---- Sanguinetti- C. Stewart-- Vasyunov--- C. Stewart- Williams
2007 - 25 - White------ Petrecki ----- Perron------ Mayorov---- Perron----- Katic
2008 - 10 - Hodgson--- Hodgson----- Hodgson--- Hodgson---- Myers------ Petrov
2009 - 22 - Schroeder-- Schroeder--- Schroeder-- Schroeder-- Schroeder-- Schroeder
2010 - NA - Ballard----- Etem--------- Merrill------ Merrill------ Kuznetsov- Merrill
2011 - 29 - Jensen------ Saad--------- Saad------ Grimaldi----- Rattie------ Khokhlachev
2012 - 26 - Gaunce----- Gaunce------- Gaunce---- Gaunce----- Gaunce---- Finn
Here's who the lists were:

1 = Canucks
2 = TSN's pre-draft list
3 = TSN's pre-draft list but used FW when we picked FW or D when we picked D (BPA instead of goalies)
4 = International Scouting Services (ISS)
5 = Central Scouting Bureau (CSB) (they seperate NA from Euro, so I went with whover was picked 1st in real life to break ties)
6 = Redline Report (from NY Times, note they seperate FW from D so I went with whoever was picked first in real life to break ties) - I think Red Line actually compiles a sigle list but it wasn't available to me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wisp View Post
It always perplexes me why do people do this to themselves. Not saying its a waste of time... redrafts are always interesting... just, a lot of people agonize over this what-if stuff.
For me its about evaluation. All lists were either free services or avaialble for under $50 and were available pre-draft. I didn't change the lists or avoid busts at all or use a mechanism based on anything post-draft. I don't like re-drafts that use hindsight because its an unfair comparison.

I'd actually rank the Canucks second last or last with Red Line Report with ISS being close. For Red Line its about Green + Skille <> Schneider + Bourdon + Grabner which I'm inclined to give to the Canucks (giving credit for Bourdon as a hit) but for ISS IMO Kopitar > Bourdon + Schneider + Grabner. I can see that going the other way for some people but IMO not having Kopitar is the difference between us having a Cup ring right now and not. The sad part is, none of the other lists are even close and blow the Canucks out of the water.

I find it more fun than torture to think about the what-ifs though, if we had just used the free CSB list available to all teams (#5):

Sedin - Sedin - C. Stewart
Kopitar - Kesler - Perron
Burrows - Bolland - Hansen
Higgins - Lapiere - Raymond
(with Kassian/Hodgson, Schroeder, Kuznetsov, Rattie, and Gaunce up and coming)

Hamhuis - Myers
Edler - Bieksa
Garrison - Tanev
Alberts

Luongo
Lack

That being said, it's almost like Gillis is picking based on TSN's list. He has matched TSN 3 of 4 years we've had firsts with him as GM and Jensen was next on the list after Saad on TSN's 2011 list the one year he didn't match.

Last edited by DJOpus: 08-17-2012 at 07:13 AM.