HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Florida Panthers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Can Bettman truly be that stupid?

Old
08-12-2012, 06:32 PM
nhlfan9191

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PBPantherfan View Post
Have to agree with this. No way you let the season start without a new agreement with Fehr in charge. You get 3/4 of the way through the season and then the players decide to strike right before the playoffs would be way worse than a lockout.

If the season doesn't start on time can season ticket holders just say screw it give me my money back?
Bettman's a tool. But this is far from being all his fault.

BTW didn't mean to quote you.

Last edited by nhlfan9191: 08-12-2012 at 06:38 PM.
nhlfan9191 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2012, 09:15 AM
Haj
#CatsAreComing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markstrom Rules View Post
It's not just Bettman's decision, he just speaks for the owners. The owners are greedy, the players are greedy too. Unfortunately I expect a lockout for at least a couple months. The owners won last time so the players aren't going to budge this time, especially with Fehr at the helm. The owners though are trying to get rid of the ridiculous longterm cap-circumventing contracts though, so I do give them points for that.
They are trying to get rid of contracts they create ?

Owners are unwilling to accept responsibility for their own actions.

Ilya Kovalchuk didn't put a gun to Lamierello's head and force him to offer him cap circumventing contract.

Haj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2012, 09:40 AM
adam graves
Panther 20 yr sth

Quote:
It's not just Bettman's decision, he just speaks for the owners. The owners are greedy, the players are greedy too. Unfortunately I expect a lockout for at least a couple months. The owners won last time so the players aren't going to budge this time, especially with Fehr at the helm. The owners though are trying to get rid of the ridiculous longterm cap-circumventing contracts though, so I do give them points for that.
Didnt the owners write those contracts?

So what your saying is the owners have to legislate this because they dont trust themselves?

Last edited by adam graves: 08-13-2012 at 10:45 AM.
adam graves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2012, 10:17 AM
CoolburnIsGone

Quote:
But Bettman is just as much to blame then as the owners are too. Its just like how everyone will blame Fehr when he's just speaking for the players. The players seemed like the greedy ones during the last lockout but this time, the owners are going to come off as the greedy ones and it will hurt the league no matter how you slice it. Bettman & the owners are going to have to give in on a lot of what they're 1st proposal included and they know that or they are truly stupid.

If anyone hasnt read the Burnside article, its a good one for the fans

http://espn.go.com/nhl/story/_/id/82...e-new-cba-time

CoolburnIsGone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2012, 10:04 AM
CoolburnIsGone

Does help the owners to claim poverty when the commissioner and several top officers were getting pay increases last yr:

http://prohockeytalk.nbcsports.com/2...-year/related/

CoolburnIsGone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2012, 08:08 PM
Dread Clawz
LAWSonic Boom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haj View Post
They are trying to get rid of contracts they create ?

Owners are unwilling to accept responsibility for their own actions.

Ilya Kovalchuk didn't put a gun to Lamierello's head and force him to offer him cap circumventing contract.
Quote:
Originally Posted by adam graves View Post
Didnt the owners write those contracts?

So what your saying is the owners have to legislate this because they dont trust themselves?
Don't get me wrong, I'm not sticking up for the owners by any means, if that was how it was interpreted. All I'm saying is they've finally realized their mistake and are doing something about it. Better than nothing.

Dread Clawz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2012, 08:16 PM
Dread Clawz
LAWSonic Boom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coolburn View Post
But Bettman is just as much to blame then as the owners are too. Its just like how everyone will blame Fehr when he's just speaking for the players. The players seemed like the greedy ones during the last lockout but this time, the owners are going to come off as the greedy ones and it will hurt the league no matter how you slice it. Bettman & the owners are going to have to give in on a lot of what they're 1st proposal included and they know that or they are truly stupid.

If anyone hasnt read the Burnside article, its a good one for the fans

http://espn.go.com/nhl/story/_/id/82...e-new-cba-time
Bettman largely is just a puppet who has his strings pulled by the richest NHL owners. If he doesn't make them money, then he doesn't have a job. The owners are going to come off as the greedy ones, but it's due in large part to brilliant posturing by Fehr. He knows exactly how to play it, this isn't his first rodeo. Regardless, anyone really following the situation knows that both parties are equally to blame for the impasse that they are in now with a month left before training camps.

Both sides are going to have to give in a little(assuming the NHLPA's counter wasn't one written by angels), I think that is expected. That's the whole point of negotiating.

Old
08-15-2012, 08:23 PM
Dread Clawz
LAWSonic Boom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coolburn View Post
Does help the owners to claim poverty when the commissioner and several top officers were getting pay increases last yr:

http://prohockeytalk.nbcsports.com/2...-year/related/
Who is claiming poverty? The NHL wants to restructure revenue sharing to better support the franchises that need it the most and try to control salaries that are escalating out of control. The players want to get as much money as possible for their services. Who is in the wrong here? No one, that's capitalism.

Old
08-15-2012, 08:35 PM
Dread Clawz
LAWSonic Boom

Quote:
Originally Posted by PanthersHockey1 View Post
I dont really blame though he is an easy target and scapegoat. The question is why didnt the nhl buy the thrashers the way they bought the coyotes. But its a moot point now.
Two very different situations. The Coyotes were being propped up by the league financially for a long time before anyone knew about it. Therefore it later turned out that by right the NHL were the owners of the Coyotes and not the lenders that that the former owner owed money to. I'm sure if the NHL had it's way, it wouldn't want to be the owner of the Coyotes and would have prefered not to have sunk so much money into them over the years, which it will never get back. Even when the Coyotes are sold, it will be for a pathetic sum.

The Thrashers' owners wanted to sell their team to the highest bidder and did. It was a perfectly legal transaction and it shouldn't come with any negative connotations. Although, it is terrible for former Thrashers fans. I don't think the NHL wants to be the Bain Capital of the sports world, except unlike Bain not making a profit.

Old
08-16-2012, 07:55 PM
jol

Quote:
Who is claiming poverty? The NHL wants to restructure revenue sharing to better support the franchises that need it the most and try to control salaries that are escalating out of control. The players want to get as much money as possible for their services. Who is in the wrong here? No one, that's capitalism.
Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't NHLPA's proposal about restructuring revenue sharing, players agree to cut salaries, but saved earnings will go to fund which then will be handed to revenue sharing. Fehr and NHLPA are putting rich owners against poor owners.

JOL

jol is online now   Reply With Quote