HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Buffalo - Anaheim - Edmonton (Ryan + Getzlaf)

Old
08-16-2012, 12:41 AM
McTank

vCash: 500
Buffalo gets raptured

McTank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2012, 12:49 AM
Killem Dafoe
modus operandi

vCash: 50
I think the trade looks a lot sillier in a year or two, when Ennis is putting up 80+ pts

Killem Dafoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2012, 01:00 AM
TurdFerguson

Watch out Columbus, Anaheim is coming for your pick!

Seriously though, I think it probably puts Buffalo over the cap and Anaheim over the contract limit. It's not only Leaf fans that make these deals I guess.

TurdFerguson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2012, 04:09 PM
Layne Staley
The Future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuke View Post
To Edmonton:

- Andrej Sekera (D)
- Corey Tropp (RW)
- 2nd Round Pick (Buf)

To Buffalo:

- Ryan Getzlaf (C)
- Bobby Ryan (LW)
- Sam Gagner (C)
- 3rd Round Pick (Edm)

To Anaheim:

- Cody Hodgson (C)
- Tyler Ennis (C)
- Drew Stafford (RW)
- Luke Adam (C)
- Mark Pysyk (D)
- 1st Round Pick (Buf)
So Sabres gain: Ryan,Gagner and Getzlaf and lose Hodgson,Sekera,Tropp,Ennis,Stafford,Adam,Pysyk along with a 1st and 2nd round pick in 2013.No thanks.

Breaking the values down

Adam+1st for Gagner. Adam is still a decent prospect and the 13 draft is pretty deep so the 1st is extremely valuable.I wouldn't do this trade at a Sabres perspective but IMO it is the most even component of the 3 way deal.

Ennis+2nd+Sekera for Ryan. I would never do this trade.I am very high on Ennis and I can see him matching Ryan's point production as soon as this year.Sekera is a good top 4 d-man making only 2.75 a year, his contract adds to his value.A 2nd in the '13 Draft is valuable as well.I don't think trading a future #1 center and a good 2nd pairing d-man for a 30/30 winger is a good idea though it is no slight on Ryan.He is one of the best young wingers in the game but I feel Ennis has immense potential.

And lastly, Hodgson,Stafford,Pysyk and Tropp for Getzlaf?I would not do this trade.As a rookie Hodgson put up 40 points playing limited minutes.He projects as a 2 way 60 point center, an ideal #2 who can jump up to the 1st line if need be.Stafford is a solid ~25 goal winger with size who has scored 30 goals before.He is a proven 2nd line RW who can throw his body around.In fact, Stafford is a similiar player to Bobby Ryan, though Ryan is better and averages 10 more goals a season, though both are young, big, skilled wingers who can throw some checks,score goals and pull some nifty moves.

Mark Pysyk is one of the Sabres best prospects and projects as a top 4 d-man, possibly even a top pairing one.He can replace Schultz in the Anaheim organization.Corey Tropp is a hard working agitator who has a mean streak to his game.Buffalo is high on him, though I mainly see him as a 3rd liner at best, a 15-15-30 player.Still, he holds some value.

Getzlaf is an elite center and though I would love to get him on the Sabres and hope they throw him a mega deal next off-season, I think it's better if the Sabres keep Hodgson along with the other assets proposed in this trade.He is still on his ELC and is 5 years younger the Getzlaf, along with the fact that we would have to include Staff,Pysyk and Tropp to do the trade, which is just too steep of a price to pay for any player, not to knock Getzlaf.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viqsi View Post
Not a single current first-liner or top player is given up - just maybe-prospects like Ennis and Hodgson - and yet two first-liners come back.

"Maybe-Prospects"?

Ennis and Hodgson are 2 of the best young centers in the game.Both are future top 6 centers if they aren't ones already.Ennis is a future #1 center with 70-80 point potential.Hodgson is going to be a 2 way 60 point center.To be honest, Ennis and Hodgson remind me of a Briere-Drury duo.To call them maybe-prospects is a joke, both are extremely skilled and extremely valuable.

Last edited by Layne Staley: 08-16-2012 at 04:36 PM.
Layne Staley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2012, 04:16 PM
MillarWithASave
HUBY DOOBY SHUTUP

Quote:
Originally Posted by mightyquack View Post
yolo
I hate this saying so much, but I laughed so hard at this.

MillarWithASave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2012, 04:24 PM
bullseyed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papaspud View Post
Only 47 posts for this little nugget of a thread?? How is that possible? It's Getzlaf...and Ryan. There should be all sorts of insanity running rampant through here.
Sabres fans are fairly reasonable.

bullseyed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2012, 06:51 PM
Armond White
Go Sabres!

My mind can't process the Anaheim portion of it, so I'll focus on the Edmonton-Buffalo part, which I don't like. I want Sekera and Tropp on my team a lot more than I want Gagner. Edmonton is makin' out, yo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Layne Staley View Post
"Maybe-Prospects"?
I laughed, and then I noticed Ennis has outscored Getzlaf in each of the past two years, and then I laughed again. (No, I'm not arguing Ennis is in Getzlaf's league... it's just funny when paired with the maybe-prospect quote.)

Armond White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2012, 09:25 PM
Lonewolfe2015

vCash: 239
A lot of people seem to be focusing on how Buffalo has half an NHL team left and Anaheim can afford to place a second team in the city... but I'm curious how Edmonton manages to only move Gagner and a 3rd, but get Sekera, a 2nd and Tropp back.

Lonewolfe2015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2012, 09:38 PM
tsujimoto74

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonewolfe2015 View Post
A lot of people seem to be focusing on how Buffalo has half an NHL team left and Anaheim can afford to place a second team in the city... but I'm curious how Edmonton manages to only move Gagner and a 3rd, but get Sekera, a 2nd and Tropp back.
Gagner will obviously score 8 points every game for Buffalo, so it's worthwhile.
Just like Ville Leino continued his miraculous PPG playoff pace here last season.

tsujimoto74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2012, 09:55 PM
Crazy8oooo
k ؃

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armond White View Post
My mind can't process the Anaheim portion of it, so I'll focus on the Edmonton-Buffalo part, which I don't like. I want Sekera and Tropp on my team a lot more than I want Gagner. Edmonton is makin' out, yo.

I laughed, and then I noticed Ennis has outscored Getzlaf in each of the past two years, and then I laughed again. (No, I'm not arguing Ennis is in Getzlaf's league... it's just funny when paired with the maybe-prospect quote.)
Except Getzy isn't known for his goal scoring. As great of a shot as he has, he's always been a 'pass first' type guy. Maybe you didn't notice Getzlaf's assist totals are higher than Ennis' total points in each of those years you're referring to.

BTW, Ennis also outscored Henrik Sedin in both those years too...does that really mean anything when looking at the big picture?

Crazy8oooo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2012, 10:10 PM
Djp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy8oooo View Post
Except Getzy isn't known for his goal scoring. As great of a shot as he has, he's always been a 'pass first' type guy. Maybe you didn't notice Getzlaf's assist totals are higher than Ennis' total points in each of those years you're referring to.

BTW, Ennis also outscored Henrik Sedin in both those years too...does that really mean anything when looking at the big picture?
if you look at Ennis' first two seasons and Getzlaff first two seasons of their career...their scoring is very similar....Ennis played a full season his first and missed half his second season...Getlaff played about 10 more games his first season than Ennis and played full seacond

Getzlaff 39-58 in 139 games...Ennis...35-48 in 130 games...if you include Ennis 10 g call up for 3-9 in o9-10 would put ennis numbers at 38-54 in 140 games.

Seem pretty close......hmmm

Djp is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2012, 10:15 PM
Djp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Layne Staley View Post
So Sabres gain: Ryan,Gagner and Getzlaf and lose Hodgson,Sekera,Tropp,Ennis,Stafford,Adam,Pysyk along with a 1st and 2nd round pick in 2013.No thanks.

Breaking the values down

Adam+1st for Gagner.

Ennis+2nd+Sekera for Ryan.

And lastly, Hodgson,Stafford,Pysyk and Tropp for Getzlaf?

Gagner for Sekera + 2nd or Adam/Tropp

Ennis for Ryan...no way....

Ryan for Stafford/Pommenville + Adam/Tropp+ 2nd

Getzlaf (provided he could be signed to an extension) for Gagner Hodgson/Ennis (Hodgson is the preferred one to trade) + Pysyk + 2nd...If its Ennis then the pick is less.

Old
08-16-2012, 11:19 PM
Crazy8oooo
k ؃

Quote:
Originally Posted by Djp View Post
if you look at Ennis' first two seasons and Getzlaff first two seasons of their career...their scoring is very similar....Ennis played a full season his first and missed half his second season...Getlaff played about 10 more games his first season than Ennis and played full seacond

Getzlaff 39-58 in 139 games...Ennis...35-48 in 130 games...if you include Ennis 10 g call up for 3-9 in o9-10 would put ennis numbers at 38-54 in 140 games.

Seem pretty close......hmmm
You realize he wasn't comparing Getzlafs' first 2 seasons with Ennis', right? But, since you wanted to bring that up, let's look a bit more closely at it. Getzlaf played 3rd/4th line duties his first couple of seasons, hence the low minute totals. Based on that, it would look even more in Getzlaf's favor.

I can't believe Ennis is being portrayed as being on the same level as Getzlaf...whether it be now or when Getzlaf was younger.

Old
08-16-2012, 11:20 PM
Crazy8oooo
k ؃

Quote:
Gagner for Sekera + 2nd or Adam/Tropp

Ennis for Ryan...no way....

Ryan for Stafford/Pommenville + Adam/Tropp+ 2nd

Getzlaf (provided he could be signed to an extension) for Gagner Hodgson/Ennis (Hodgson is the preferred one to trade) + Pysyk + 2nd...If its Ennis then the pick is less.
You mean because Ennis is so much better than Ryan? lol

Edit: Both of your proposals are easy no's from the Ducks.

Old
08-16-2012, 11:49 PM
Petes2424

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eskimo44 View Post
Not a single asset from Buffalo's end is a spare part. They are all valuable pieces.
Break it up....

Getzlaf =

Ryan =

Nothing makes sense with any combination coming from Buffalo if you separate them. You can get one but only about 1/3 of the other.

Petes2424 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2012, 11:58 PM
gdsmack267

Quote:
Originally Posted by jBuds View Post
Laughed for a minute straight at this.
hahaha so did i

gdsmack267 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2012, 12:06 AM
Djp

Quote:
You mean because Ennis is so much better than Ryan? lol

Edit: Both of your proposals are easy no's from the Ducks.
You dont trade Centers for wingers unless you have depth at that position which Buffalo does not have.

On its own...no

Also...not going to give up Ennis for someone who could walk after two years.

How much of a difference is Bobby Ryan vs Stafford or Pommenville given different systems et all...not all that much.

Buffalo doesnt get Ryan---no big deal.

Old
08-17-2012, 12:20 AM
Djp

Quote:
You realize he wasn't comparing Getzlafs' first 2 seasons with Ennis', right? But, since you wanted to bring that up, let's look a bit more closely at it. Getzlaf played 3rd/4th line duties his first couple of seasons, hence the low minute totals. Based on that, it would look even more in Getzlaf's favor.

I can't believe Ennis is being portrayed as being on the same level as Getzlaf...whether it be now or when Getzlaf was younger.
Have you ever seen Ennis play? watch him a bit and learn. He is only 22. 5-6 years younger than Getzlaf?

Ennis makes the players around him better. He is physically close to Brierre.

Physically they may be different but in scoring/points they arent all that different given their age.

Old
08-17-2012, 12:54 AM
Sean Garrity
They call me Hampus

Quote:
Have you ever seen Ennis play? watch him a bit and learn. He is only 22. 5-6 years younger than Getzlaf?

Physically they may be different but in scoring/points they arent all that different given their age.
Ennis will never have the total package that Getzlaf has. Simply put, Getzlaf has the size, strength, physiclality and Skill that Ennis can never have because those Atteibutes dont grow on trees. As Domingo Ayala would say "es gawd given" .

Ennis may turn out to be a fantastic player, but not on Getzlafs level in terms of total package. Comparing Ennis to Getzlaf is asinine.

Sean Garrity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2012, 01:20 AM
Crazy8oooo
k ؃

Quote:
You dont trade Centers for wingers unless you have depth at that position which Buffalo does not have.

On its own...no

Also...not going to give up Ennis for someone who could walk after two years.

How much of a difference is Bobby Ryan vs Stafford or Pommenville given different systems et all...not all that much.

Buffalo doesnt get Ryan---no big deal.
Ryan's signed for 3 more seasons...not 2. However, I can understand not wanting to get rid of Center depth, because the Ducks are in the same position. As for the differences, I think Ryan's on a whole other level than Stafford. Pominville, much closer.

I've said it quite a few times in different threads, I hope the Ducks keep Ryan...I'm not a fan of him being traded. If they were to, however, and it ended up being with Buffalo then I would hope for Hodgson over Ennis. Ennis has more scoring upside, but Hodgson fits the Center position better, given his size vs. Ennis'. Ennis, to me, seems more fit to play the wing.

Old
08-17-2012, 01:25 AM
Crazy8oooo
k ؃

Quote:

I am not saying Ennis isn't good and won't be a wonderful player. I think he is and will be. I just don't see him as being on the same level as Getzlaf. Sean Garrity pretty much gave the reasons, which I agree with, so I won't repeat them. It's nothing against Ennis...I just don't see him bringing all the aspects to the game that Getzlaf does.

Old
08-17-2012, 05:54 AM
HiddenInLight

I can't believe this thread is still going.....I wish people wouldn't try to compare Ennis to Getzlaf. Skill wise, Ennis COULD be just as good, or even better, eventually, his ceiling is that high. BUT he doesn't have the size to bring the physicality that Getzlaf brings to his game. Ennis will never be able to Goon it up like Getzlaf can either. A lot of small things come from that size, and Ennis could never match that. Though Ennis could probably skate circles around Getzlaf. I think that IF Ennis reaches his full potential, he COULD be on the same level as Getzlaf, but for different reasons. Either way, right now its not even close, Getzlaf IS the better player, and will be better for at least another year or two as Ennis continues to develop his game. After that? Who knows, Ennis may be better, but may not reach that level. Let's keep it classy in here, and not start making outrageus comments. Nothing that can be said changes how aweful a proposal this is.

HiddenInLight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2012, 06:29 AM
broc

I like how buffalo gets both getzlaf and Ryan without even including their best prospects (Grigo, Girgensons).

= epic trolling

Well played, OP.. well played.

broc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2012, 06:47 AM
Clock

Quote:
Originally Posted by broc View Post
I like how buffalo gets both getzlaf and Ryan without even including their best prospects (Grigo, Girgensons).

= epic trolling

Well played, OP.. well played.
I think you just beat the OP there.

Clock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2012, 07:46 AM
Thee GM
TheMostInterestingGM

Buffalo's giving up waaay too much!!

Thee GM is offline   Reply With Quote