HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Shea Weber

Old
08-16-2012, 12:41 PM
Prongo
Beer

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unstable View Post
Fair enough. I don't think the Flyers have or will have the assets to make it possible or worthwhile to acquire him, but I guess there's no harm in hoping.
I think we have the assets. There are players I certainly would be willing to part with for Weber. Right now though there is no reason to discuss that until the year passes. And we all have no clue what will happen this year, so maybe Weber won't even be needed( I dream I dream)

Prongo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2012, 03:57 PM
Murphy7
Drop the puck

Quote:
Originally Posted by YuioIklo View Post
Well, I'll give you my source, not sure where it is in the CBA, but

"According to the terms of the current CBA, if Weber doesn’t sign his SPC by December 1 that means he is simply ineligible to play; it doesn’t not mean he and the Predators cannot sign and formalize the SPC after that date.

As far as his player status is concerned, that remains to be seen. According to the terms of the current CBA, he remains Predators property through July 24, 2013, deal or no deal. Weber turns 27 today (August 14), which means that effective July 1, 2013 (the beginning of the new league year) he is eligible as a Group 3 UFA. Keeping in mind that he is property of Nashville through July 24, 2013, that conceivably means that effective July 25, 2013, Shea Weber will be a UFA if he does not sign the current SPC. However, all of this assumes the rules of the current CBA being enforced."

http://thehockeyguys.net/weber-preda...or-the-flyers/

Take it FWIW.
That's not accurate at all. Sect. 10.3 spells it out specifically. They have entered a binding, 14-year agreement. All of that article's other speculation is nothing more than wishful thinking and applying out-of-context parts of the CBA.

Murphy7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2012, 04:46 PM
Prongo
Beer

http://www.ontheforecheck.com/2012/8...-hall-schedule

The article is the schedule for their Skate of the hall meeting(Nashville).

Quote:
NOTES: Players scheduled to appear include Jon Blum, Mike Fisher, Paul Gaustad, Hal Gill, Kevin Klein, Chris Mason, Brian McGrattan, Craig Smith and Colin Wilson.
Quote:
This all leaves one question hanging in the air... why the heck isn't Shea Weber scheduled to appear? I know some Preds fans got their hackles up when the guys on the 3HL raised the question of why he wasn't at the press conference following the team's decision to match the $110 million offer sheet, but it strikes me as really, really strange for a guy not to show his face in town for more than 3 weeks after a deal of this magnitude has been struck.

Prongo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2012, 05:33 PM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

Weber. Is. Pissed.

Nashville screwed him, and he wants an NMC so that he can decide where he goes should they trade him. Hell, I could see him demanding a trade in a year.

I could also see lawyers getting involved in this one quite frankly.

CS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2012, 05:38 PM
BleedOrange
BuildThroughTheDraft

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Shafer View Post
Weber. Is. Pissed.

Nashville screwed him, and he wants an NMC so that he can decide where he goes should they trade him. Hell, I could see him demanding a trade in a year.

Shea Weber will be a flyer after all this **** and the dust clears i hope homer screws nashville agian.

BleedOrange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2012, 05:50 PM
hockeyfreak7

So it looks like Weber really thought Nashville wouldnt match. It's a shame because he could have signed a 1 year deal and been a Flyer next summer for free. What could have been.....

hockeyfreak7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2012, 06:12 PM
FreshPerspective
Ed finally concedes!

Nostramorganti already guaranteed the Flyers would eventually get Weber...so dont fret Flyers fans....

FreshPerspective is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2012, 06:54 PM
DrinkFightFlyers
Provolone & The Neck

vCash: 470
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
Quote:
Weber. Is. Pissed.

Not sure what lawyers would do. The CBA is pretty clear.

DrinkFightFlyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2012, 07:08 PM
JABEE

Quote:
Weber. Is. Pissed.

Why has no one followed this story at all? If Toronto sent the offer sheet, TSN would be running hour long specials every night? No one has talked to Weber or his agent about this holdout. The media seems to have taken a vacation.

JABEE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2012, 07:38 PM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

Quote:
Originally Posted by JABEE View Post
Why has no one followed this story at all? If Toronto sent the offer sheet, TSN would be running hour long specials every night? No one has talked to Weber or his agent about this holdout. The media seems to have taken a vacation.
The hockey season from the eyes of a hockey journalist:

SEPTEMBER - camps and prospects
OCTOBER - season start
NOVEMBER - early season progress
DECEMBER - holidays and winter classic
JANUARY - injuries and standings
FEBRUARY - all-star break
MARCH - trade deadline
APRIL - push for the playoffs
MAY - playoffs
JUNE - stanley cup finals and draft
JULY - free agency
AUGUST - ~~~~~~VAAAAAAAACAAAAAATIIIIIIIIOOOOOOOOOOOOOOON~~~ ~~~
SEPTEMBER - camps

etc...

Old
08-16-2012, 07:51 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 450
Quote:
Weber. Is. Pissed.

Nashville didn't screw anyone. That's the risk Weber took signing the offer sheet. He signed the offer sheet knowing that one of the possible outcomes was that he would be stuck in Nashville for 14 years.

Flyers thought their bottomless pockets could get one over on the little guy, and it didn't work. That's not to their fault - I don't blame them if they felt this was the best chance they had of getting Weber. There were suitors for Weber, and the Flyers put themselves in a position where it would be 50/50 that he comes here or stays in Nashville. It was a valiant effort in that if the Predators matched, it would ensure that the Penguins/Rangers/Bruins/Capitals would be further stonewalled.

The best (really only) hope here is that he waits out the new CBA, hopes that the UFA age is lowered (I don't think it will happen). Weber can take this to arbitration claiming he fell through the cracks and should be a UFA on a technicality.

Stop Feeding the Rumor-Monger

"I wonder if Norstrom has Forsberg's spleen mounted on his wall." - KINGS17

My 50 Favorite Albums of 2014 (sorry it's late)
GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2012, 07:56 PM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

Quote:
Originally Posted by GKJ View Post
Nashville didn't screw anyone. That's the risk Weber took signing the offer sheet. He signed the offer sheet knowing that one of the possible outcomes was that he would be stuck in Nashville for 14 years.

Flyers thought their bottomless pockets could get one over on the little guy, and it didn't work. That's not to their fault - I don't blame them if they felt this was the best chance they had of getting Weber. There were suitors for Weber, and the Flyers put themselves in a position where it would be 50/50 that he comes here or stays in Nashville. It was a valiant effort to ensure that if they can't get him, then neither do the Penguins or Rangers or whoever.

The best (really only) hope here is that he waits out the new CBA, hopes that the UFA age is lowered (I don't think it will happen), and Weber can take this to arbitration claiming he fell through the cracks and should be a UFA.
Well, it's a little more complex of a scenario with the CBA negotiations. Don't players lose a year of their contract even if there is a lockout?

That means Weber would be tradeable without playing this year if there is a lockout. Weber could be sitting tight not only for a clause but for that as well.

Weber potentially holding out puts another twist in this as well. That's all without taking into consideration any new things written into the CBA itself.

Old
08-16-2012, 07:58 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 450
Quote:
Well, it's a little more complex of a scenario with the CBA negotiations. Don't players lose a year of their contract even if there is a lockout?

That means Weber would be tradeable without playing this year if there is a lockout. Weber could be holding out not only for a clause but for that as well.

Weber potentially holding out puts another twist in this as well.
They don't have to lose a year to get a new CBA. If that's what it comes to, it probably makes his case better, but I can see Bettman going to war on that one. The last thing he'll want to see coming out of this is another superstar leaving a small market for a northern power.

If they lose a year, the league and PA would have to agree that the year counts, which is what they did last time (precedence is in the PA's favor).

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2012, 08:03 PM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

Quote:
Originally Posted by GKJ View Post
They don't have to lose a year to get a new CBA. If that's what it comes to, it probably makes his case better, but I can see Bettman going to war on that one. The last thing he'll want to see coming out of this is another superstar leaving a small market for a northern power.

If they lose a year, the league and PA would have to agree that the year counts, which is what they did last time (precedence is in the PA's favor).
I could imagine, if Weber really doesn't want to remain in Nashville, him looking for any kind of loophole out. This is why he's pushing so hard for an NMC.

He could potentially demand a trade and limit the teams to contenders he feels are relevant.

In hindsight though, the Flyers probably should have discussed potentially a one-year deal at 10.00m or so to get Weber. If they could've convinced Weber to sign that with the promise of another multi-year extension as soon as he was in Philadelphia, then it would've tied Nashville's hands even further. That would have required a lot of faith in Weber re-signing on the Flyers' part though.

Old
08-16-2012, 08:39 PM
hockeyfreak7

Quote:
In hindsight though, the Flyers probably should have discussed potentially a one-year deal at 10.00m or so to get Weber. If they could've convinced Weber to sign that with the promise of another multi-year extension as soon as he was in Philadelphia, then it would've tied Nashville's hands even further. That would have required a lot of faith in Weber re-signing on the Flyers' part though.
I suggested this, too, but apparently we wouldnt have been able to give him that extension until January 1st (?) I believe.

By that time there could be a new CBA and bigger restrictions on the kind of money he could have made.

But if Weber truly wanted out of Nashville, even over the 110m, that may have been his safest bet.

hockeyfreak7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2012, 08:40 PM
ayshplaysh

Quote:
I could imagine, if Weber really doesn't want to remain in Nashville, him looking for any kind of loophole out. This is why he's pushing so hard for an NMC.

He could potentially demand a trade and limit the teams to contenders he feels are relevant.

Hm, in retrospect on a 1 year offer sheet do you think that Nashville even risks matching, possibly losing Weber to FA next year getting nothing in return or takes the 4 1sts to try and salvage something...

ayshplaysh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2012, 09:12 PM
35NW8ING
#LaviPondHockeyFail

Quote:
No one is following it because it isn't a story. The offer sheet is a BINDING agreement between Weber and Nashville. A player not formalizing a contract by signing it isn't a story. Contracts are signed all the time after agreements are made. It isn't always publicized.

35NW8ING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2012, 09:52 PM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

Quote:
Originally Posted by 35NW8ING View Post
No one is following it because it isn't a story. The offer sheet is a BINDING agreement between Weber and Nashville. A player not formalizing a contract by signing it isn't a story. Contracts are signed all the time after agreements are made. It isn't always publicized.
A potential holdout based off a contract dispute involving a marquee player is ALWAYS a story.

Old
08-16-2012, 10:09 PM
Alchemy
Philadelphia Flyers

IMO Weber might of really wanted to get out of nashville but he should of told Pollie straight up he was ready to move on instead of getting his agents to do the dirty work. I understand he maybe didn't want to come off as the bad guy but when you want something you go for it.

Alchemy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2012, 10:12 PM
Top 6 Spaling

Quote:
Weber. Is. Pissed.

How did Nashville screw him? I'm not denying his mad (personally, I think Weber wants to be a Flyer), but I don't see how we screwed him. We matched the offer-sheet. He had to know that was an option when he signed it. I don't see what that Preds did wrong here.

Anyways, casual Flyers fan and wish you guys best of luck next year.

Top 6 Spaling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2012, 10:34 PM
JABEE

Quote:
Originally Posted by sm0ka47 View Post
IMO Weber might of really wanted to get out of nashville but he should of told Pollie straight up he was ready to move on instead of getting his agents to do the dirty work. I understand he maybe didn't want to come off as the bad guy but when you want something you go for it.
I'm pretty sure he did when they started shopping him around. He picked the Flyers and the Preds didn't like only having one option. That's something people seem to forget about the Weber situation. Poile was actively shopping Weber because he knew that Weber wanted OUT. Weber chose his destination in Philadelphia. An NMC would serve the same purpose. Nashville did not make a 14 year commitment to Weber, they committed until July 25 of next year. They can trade his contract easily to any big market team. Weber already chose where he wants to go, let's see what happens.

Old
08-16-2012, 10:43 PM
Broad Street Elite

Quote:
I'm pretty sure he did when they started shopping him around. He picked the Flyers and the Preds didn't like only having one option. That's something people seem to forget about the Weber situation. Poile was actively shopping Weber because he knew that Weber wanted OUT. Weber chose his destination in Philadelphia. An NMC would serve the same purpose. Nashville did not make a 14 year commitment to Weber, they committed until July 25 of next year. They can trade his contract easily to any big market team. Weber already chose where he wants to go, let's see what happens.
If this were the case, he simply could have burned the organization to the ground between when they signed the offer sheet and Nashville matched. If he comes out and bashes the organization, it makes it really hard for them to match. I never understood why he didn't authorize his agents to say more directly and concretely that he had no intention of playing another game in Nashville.

They still might have called his bluff, but what did he have to lose, especially if it were through the agent.

Broad Street Elite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2012, 10:46 PM
Swic21

F Shea Weber lol. We have Braydon Coburn

Swic21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2012, 10:49 PM
JABEE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broad Street Elite View Post
If this were the case, he simply could have burned the organization to the ground between when they signed the offer sheet and Nashville matched. If he comes out and bashes the organization, it makes it really hard for them to match. I never understood why he didn't authorize his agents to say more directly and concretely that he had no intention of playing another game in Nashville.

They still might have called his bluff, but what did he have to lose, especially if it were through the agent.
Weber may want to keep his image as a team player. He let his agent do the talking for him. It was obvious that after Suter signed, stuff started leaking out about Weber being distraught.

Old
08-16-2012, 11:19 PM
35NW8ING
#LaviPondHockeyFail

Quote:
A potential holdout based off a contract dispute involving a marquee player is ALWAYS a story.
There is no contract dispute and nothing remotely close to a holdout. Your speculation on why he hasn't signed doesn't make it a story.

Terms were already set when Weber signed the offer sheet, 14 years at 100+ million. When he actually puts pen to an SPC isn't a story. Should ESPN satellite trucks be parked at his house and at Predator HQ?

35NW8ING is offline   Reply With Quote