HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Hockey Fights
Hockey Fights Discuss and rate hockey fights and fighters of today and from the past. Videos welcome!

Softest NHL Team

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
08-16-2012, 03:01 PM
  #51
Bruise Bros 2426
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 792
vCash: 500
Colorado is definitely tougher than Vancouver, in my opinion. Up front, Colorado has Steve Downie and Cody McLeod. Both will throw their weight around and drop the gloves. Their blueline is big and physical and features Ryan Wilson, Ryan O'Byrne, and Shane O'Brien.

Vancouver, in all fairness, has Dale Weise up front. He's physical and he'll fight on occasion. Max Lapierre fought 7 times last year, so he's worth a mention. He's a pest and knows his role. Kesler and Burrows finish their checks, but neither really fight. A lot of diving. On the blueline, Ballard and Bieksa are physical and fight here and there. Vancouver isn't the softest in the league, but I think Colorado will be tougher to play against.

Bruise Bros 2426 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2012, 03:25 PM
  #52
BruinsNeedaRussian
Registered User
 
BruinsNeedaRussian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 6,805
vCash: 1340
Not a single mention for Buffalo? Really? Them or Carolina.

BruinsNeedaRussian is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2012, 03:36 PM
  #53
MichiganWolverines
Big Mac Attack
 
MichiganWolverines's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Brampton, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,660
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruinsNeedaRussian View Post
Not a single mention for Buffalo? Really? Them or Carolina.
Do you honestly think Buffalo is one the softest teams in the nhl. They have Cody McCormick, Patrick Kaleta, Marcus Foligno, Steve Ott and Corey Tropp. Not to mention they will have John Scott and Joe Finley in the minors/scratched, i'm sure they will get to play some rivalry games.

MichiganWolverines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2012, 03:38 PM
  #54
Bruise Bros 2426
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 792
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichiganWolverines View Post
Do you honestly think Buffalo is one the softest teams in the nhl. They have Cody McCormick, Patrick Kaleta, Marcus Foligno, Steve Ott and Corey Tropp. Not to mention they will have John Scott and Joe Finley in the minors/scratched, i'm sure they will get to play some rivalry games.
Buffalo's top 6 looks pretty soft, but they've got some grit in the bottom 6. Carolina needs to make a move.

Bruise Bros 2426 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2012, 03:47 PM
  #55
MichiganWolverines
Big Mac Attack
 
MichiganWolverines's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Brampton, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,660
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruise Bros 2426 View Post
Buffalo's top 6 looks pretty soft, but they've got some grit in the bottom 6. Carolina needs to make a move.
They sure do, there are many players they can pick up in free agency. We'll what happens.

MichiganWolverines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2012, 04:09 PM
  #56
BruinsNeedaRussian
Registered User
 
BruinsNeedaRussian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 6,805
vCash: 1340
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichiganWolverines View Post
Do you honestly think Buffalo is one the softest teams in the nhl. They have Cody McCormick, Patrick Kaleta, Marcus Foligno, Steve Ott and Corey Tropp. Not to mention they will have John Scott and Joe Finley in the minors/scratched, i'm sure they will get to play some rivalry games.
They are an agitating team. Ott/Gerbe/Kaleta are far from tough/intimidating and their main jobs are to duck fights. McCormick is an average fighter who won't intimidate many players. Foligno/Tropp are both young and likely far from intimidators. Regehr and Scott are their toughest/grittiest players, but Scott will get very little playing time and he rarely fights. This team lacks toughness and has coaching that encourages agitating and ducking fights. A coaches mentality is often the most important part of a team's makeup. Which is why a team like Philly despite not being over the top tough, still intimidates and plays a gritty game on the ice. Buffalo has neither going for them, which is why they have consistently been one of the softest over the past 5+ years.

BruinsNeedaRussian is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2012, 04:55 PM
  #57
LatvianTwist
Global Moderator
 
LatvianTwist's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Houston
Country: Tibet
Posts: 17,901
vCash: 157
Saw some of the Dallas talk. We don't really have a good fight anymore. Benn is too valuable to let him fight more than a few times a year, Morrow is too old and battered to regularly fight, and Rome and Fistric aren't really fighters, more just hard hitting guys who'll fight if they need to.

To answer any questions, our line-up:

Eriksson - Benn - Jagr
Whitney - Roy - Ryder
Morrow - Eakin - Vincour
Wandell/Sceviour - Fiddler - Nystrom/Garbutt

No idea on the D pairings, but I'll take a shot.

Daley - Dillon
Goligoski - Robidas
Fistric - Larsen
Rome

LatvianTwist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2012, 09:54 PM
  #58
Marotte Marauder
Registered User
 
Marotte Marauder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 2,570
vCash: 500
Has anyone seen the Blackhawks roster from last year and heading into camp? Creampuffs!

Marotte Marauder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2012, 11:03 PM
  #59
Badger Mayhew
Registered User
 
Badger Mayhew's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 1,631
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by PJ StockBB View Post
how are the leafs barely being mentioned?

i put them in a four way tie with the canes, lightning and stars as the softest teams in the league. and i would say unless orr plays more then half the games this year they are THE softest.



Badger Mayhew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2012, 11:12 PM
  #60
Bruise Bros 2426
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 792
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marotte Marauder View Post
Has anyone seen the Blackhawks roster from last year and heading into camp? Creampuffs!
Chicago will be fun to watch. Up front, Dan Carcillo, Jamal Mayers, Bryan Bickell, Andrew Shaw, and Brandon Bollig all play a physical game. All will be regulars besides Bollig, unless injuries arise.

On the blueline, Sheldon Brookbank is a mean, physical presence. Steve Montador is gritty, however it was reported that they were shopping him around.

Bruise Bros 2426 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2012, 11:27 PM
  #61
SCBruCrew4
Registered User
 
SCBruCrew4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Boston, Ma
Country: United States
Posts: 580
vCash: 500
Softest team...Right now? I'd comfortably say Carolina, TB or even the Capitals. Cap's are physical but I don't see any real fighters on the team.

SCBruCrew4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2012, 11:30 PM
  #62
Ogie Goldthorpe
Piloted Ogre Hog
 
Ogie Goldthorpe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: NS via BC
Posts: 2,375
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruise Bros 2426 View Post
Colorado is definitely tougher than Vancouver, in my opinion. Up front, Colorado has Steve Downie and Cody McLeod. Both will throw their weight around and drop the gloves. Their blueline is big and physical and features Ryan Wilson, Ryan O'Byrne, and Shane O'Brien.

Vancouver, in all fairness, has Dale Weise up front. He's physical and he'll fight on occasion. Max Lapierre fought 7 times last year, so he's worth a mention. He's a pest and knows his role. Kesler and Burrows finish their checks, but neither really fight. A lot of diving. On the blueline, Ballard and Bieksa are physical and fight here and there. Vancouver isn't the softest in the league, but I think Colorado will be tougher to play against.
You missed Kassian, who should be a solid middleweight. Volpatti, who will rarely, if ever, play but can chuck 'em when he's in. And Alberts who, I guess, is at best a Hal Gill Jr. type tough guy... but is no shrinking violet. None of those guys changes the argument a huge amount, but all are worth mentioning.

Fortunately, Gilis has been drafting some toughness recently and if a few of our draft picks pan out, we'll be a much tougher team, fighting-wise and otherwise in the next couple of years.


Last edited by Ogie Goldthorpe: 08-16-2012 at 11:38 PM.
Ogie Goldthorpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2012, 11:35 PM
  #63
Bruise Bros 2426
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 792
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ogie Goldthorpe View Post
You missed Kassian, who should be a solid middleweight. Volpatti, who will rarely, if ever, play but can chuck 'em when he's in. And Alberts who, I guess, is at best a Hal Gill Jr. type tough guy... but is no shrinking violet. None of those guys changes the argument a huge amount, but all are worth mentioning.

Fortunately, Gilis has been drafting some toughness recently and in a few years time, if a few of our draft picks pan out, we'll be a much tougher team, fighting-wise and otherwise.
Forgot Kassian and Volpatti. Kassian seems to have a spot locked up, while Volpatti's role on the team seems uncertain. Will Alberts serve as their 7th defenseman?

Bruise Bros 2426 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2012, 11:40 PM
  #64
Bruise Bros 2426
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 792
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCBruCrew4 View Post
Softest team...Right now? I'd comfortably say Carolina, TB or even the Capitals. Cap's are physical but I don't see any real fighters on the team.
Some softies down there in the Southeast Division.

For Washington, up front, Jason Chimera, Troy Brouwer, Joey Crabb, and Matt Hendricks are physical. Hendricks is the only one that fights on a semi-regular basis.

Bruise Bros 2426 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2012, 05:36 AM
  #65
SCBruCrew4
Registered User
 
SCBruCrew4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Boston, Ma
Country: United States
Posts: 580
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruise Bros 2426 View Post
Some softies down there in the Southeast Division.

For Washington, up front, Jason Chimera, Troy Brouwer, Joey Crabb, and Matt Hendricks are physical. Hendricks is the only one that fights on a semi-regular basis.
That's what I mean though. They are physical but they aren't known to be fighters. Hitting hard and dropping them are two different things.

SCBruCrew4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2012, 06:11 AM
  #66
Marotte Marauder
Registered User
 
Marotte Marauder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 2,570
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruise Bros 2426 View Post
Chicago will be fun to watch. Up front, Dan Carcillo, Jamal Mayers, Bryan Bickell, Andrew Shaw, and Brandon Bollig all play a physical game. All will be regulars besides Bollig, unless injuries arise.

On the blueline, Sheldon Brookbank is a mean, physical presence. Steve Montador is gritty, however it was reported that they were shopping him around.
Bickell plays as soft as they come, Mayers will get minimal minutes and Bollig will not be in the Fall lineup.

That leaves Carcillo and Shaw, 2 willing but undersized guys.

Very soft team, IMO.

Marotte Marauder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2012, 11:48 AM
  #67
Bruise Bros 2426
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 792
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marotte Marauder View Post
Bickell plays as soft as they come, Mayers will get minimal minutes and Bollig will not be in the Fall lineup.

That leaves Carcillo and Shaw, 2 willing but undersized guys.

Very soft team, IMO.
What about Brookbank?

I don't think they're really soft. They aren't the Bruins, but I think they're gonna be pretty tough to play against.

Bruise Bros 2426 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2012, 12:13 PM
  #68
MichiganWolverines
Big Mac Attack
 
MichiganWolverines's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Brampton, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,660
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruise Bros 2426 View Post
Some softies down there in the Southeast Division.

For Washington, up front, Jason Chimera, Troy Brouwer, Joey Crabb, and Matt Hendricks are physical. Hendricks is the only one that fights on a semi-regular basis.
Joey Crabb is a good physical forward but he's a terrible fighter, I have a lot of respect for him fighting Wayne Simmonds.


MichiganWolverines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2012, 12:32 PM
  #69
PJ StockBB
Registered User
 
PJ StockBB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Country: United States
Posts: 2,477
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Badger Mayhew View Post


oh wait, this genius argument has changed my mind, the leafs are tough. they are really, really tough. maybe the toughest in the league and definitely tougher then the Bruins...

don't take it personally man, its a thread about the softest teams in the league and if you look at the leafs personnel they aren't exactly a tough group. i mean to try and prove your point you showed a guy who played most his games in the AHL last year and a weak fight with a guy on the Bruins who really isn't much of a fighter, just more of a hot head.

PJ StockBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2012, 01:14 PM
  #70
Spitfire11
Registered User
 
Spitfire11's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,530
vCash: 500
The eternal answer to the OP's question is the Detroit Red Wings

Spitfire11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2012, 01:45 PM
  #71
ninetynine*
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Behind you...
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,730
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flames1217 View Post
Your seriously joking right, This is completely laughable.. I am not going to try and be a homer or anything but the flames are no where as soft as Edmonton, Colorado, and The Nucks. The flames have Jackman,Bouma,Alui,Iginla,Glencross,Gio, and Sarich who are not scared to throw around there weight. I understand that we have gotten smaller, but really we are not that soft.
You are a homer. Edmonton is WAYYYY tougher than Calgary, as is Colorado if Bordeleau makes it and Vancouver.

ninetynine* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2012, 01:48 PM
  #72
ninetynine*
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Behind you...
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,730
vCash: 500
Bouma, Giordano, and Sarich...are you kidding me....lol

Iginla and Aliu if he makes it are the only real fighters there. Bouma couldn't beat Duco last year. Giordano's a joke, and so is Sarich.

ninetynine* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2012, 07:35 PM
  #73
Bruise Bros 2426
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 792
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ninetynine View Post
You are a homer. Edmonton is WAYYYY tougher than Calgary, as is Colorado if Bordeleau makes it and Vancouver.
People keep saying Bordeleau has a shot to make the team. Where does he fit in the lineup? I wouldn't say Vancouver is tougher than Calgary.

Bruise Bros 2426 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2012, 09:00 PM
  #74
ninetynine*
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Behind you...
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,730
vCash: 500
IF he makes it, which is a big IF but I'm hopeful too, I'm guessing it'd be as a 14th guy [maybe 13th]. The good news is Sacco loves to play his 14th forwards [David Koci remembers] and could easily play half the season, on top of having a little skill, not much, but he's a Matt Kassian type by the looks of it, just a little lankier.

As for Calgary and Vancouver, that's fair enough, but there's no way Calgary's any tougher than Vancouver anymore, don't let the diving and the super-soft top 9 fool you.

ninetynine* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2012, 09:22 PM
  #75
Bruise Bros 2426
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 792
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ninetynine View Post
IF he makes it, which is a big IF but I'm hopeful too, I'm guessing it'd be as a 14th guy [maybe 13th]. The good news is Sacco loves to play his 14th forwards [David Koci remembers] and could easily play half the season, on top of having a little skill, not much, but he's a Matt Kassian type by the looks of it, just a little lankier.

As for Calgary and Vancouver, that's fair enough, but there's no way Calgary's any tougher than Vancouver anymore, don't let the diving and the super-soft top 9 fool you.
Lapierre, Weise, and Kassian will be their 4th line, most likely. Kassian may move up. I doubt Desbiens plays more than 20 games. I just don't see them as a tough team.

Bruise Bros 2426 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:06 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.