HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

faceoff circle

Old
08-17-2012, 07:29 AM
turbodaze

vCash: 500
faceoff circle

I'll be starting hockey league pretty soon and where do I go if I'm a left or right wing in a faceoff circle? Like after you get offsides. Who goes where? Captains always do the faceoffs?

turbodaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2012, 11:29 AM
ChrisNI

vCash: 50
Nope centre takes faceoffs, if he gets thrown out of the faceoff for whatever reason then there's usually a predetermined guy to take the faceoff. Don't think this would happen often though.

As for faceoffs generally just stand at your hash mark of the faceoff dot on the left or right of your centreman depending on your position. At the faceoff there are hash marks on the side that you can straddle.....so put a foot either side of the line.

Depending on the level you'll probably just line up in the normal setup....
LW C RW
LD RD

However if your team wants to use more tactics there are different ways to lineup.
In the neutral zone you generally line up as above.

In either end zone you can have a look at this for a general idea:
http://www.knyght.net/hockey101/face1.jpg

Blue guys are obviously defending zone and green attacking.
So you can see the defending LW is standing behind the LD on the circle.
This is so the D can take the wing from going to the net and the LW can go straight up and mark the attacking RD.

The defending RW would go around the attacking LW and mark the attacking LD.
C takes C.
Defending RD takes attacking LW.

This is one of several ways to set up on zone faceoffs so ask your captain/coach how they run faceoffs and they should be able to walk you through it.

Hope it helps.

ChrisNI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2012, 03:38 PM
Propane Nightmares
Sales & Marketing

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisNI View Post
At the faceoff there are hash marks on the side that you can straddle.....so put a foot either side of the line.
No, both skates have to be on your team's side of the hash mark. That is what they are for.

Propane Nightmares is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2012, 10:42 PM
DJnet65

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbodaze View Post
I'll be starting hockey league pretty soon and where do I go if I'm a left or right wing in a faceoff circle? Like after you get offsides. Who goes where? Captains always do the faceoffs?
If you are playing wing you will usually lineup across from your center. If you ever watch any professional hockey, you wuill see this ll the time.

The Wingers lineup on either side of the center and the defensemen lineup behind them.

It would be very impractical for the Captain to take every faceoff. there is only on Captain on the team usually an he can't be on the ice every faceoff.

Generally whoever the Center is on you line will take the faceoff.

The best person to ask where you should lineup and what you should do when the puck drops is your center.

Most Centers have a plan or strategy when they go into the faceoff circle to take a faceoff, if you're on the same page as the center you can really help him out.

As you get more experienced and play with the same teammates you will start to know what they are going to do and what they want you to do.

DJnet65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2012, 10:59 PM
DJnet65

This is a good video on a defensive zone faceoff strategy that i think works well.

if everyone knows what they're doing and what their responsibilities are it is really effective.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tLgA1...eature=related

DJnet65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2012, 10:41 PM
Gibson19

Like others have mentioned, centers take the faceoffs typically speaking. Definitely in rec league.

The center should always have a plan. When I played center (I sometimes still do but prefer the wing) I would always let the folks know what my plan was. By and large I was gonna try to win a faceoff back to the D man on an offensive zone faceoff, or towards the net if I thought it would work. So I'd usually tell my wingers to get on the same side closest to the net so they could crash in for a rebound shortly after the faceoff.

In defensive zone I would always try to win to the least dangerous area of the ice, usually to the corner. So I made sure someone was there ready for it.

Long story short, ask the center, they've got a plan.

Gibson19 is offline   Reply With Quote