Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Eastern Conference in 2012-13

Old
08-17-2012, 03:19 AM
Alan Ryan

vCash: 500
The Eastern Conference in 2012-13

The Bruins must ultimately beat everyone in the East to play for the Stanley Cup.

Other threads have bits and pieces of discussion and information about the Eastern Conference for 2012-13, but no comprehensive discussion of the conference at large. This tread can fill the gap.

Let's start with one author's prediction (Fred Poulin of the Hockey Writers) for the regular season standings in the East, with reasoning for all the teams. No doubt others will follow.

2012-13 NHL regular season predictions: Eastern Conference

Playoff Teams

1. NEW YORK RANGERS = 115 points
2. WASHINGTON CAPITALS = 101 points

3. BOSTON BRUINS = 100 points
The Bruins opted for stability next season as their roster will be almost identical to last year. The most noticeable changes will be the addition of rookie defenseman Dougie Hamilton in replacement of Joe Corvo who went back to Carolina and the emergence of Tuukka Rask as the #1 goalie with all-start Tim Thomas thinking about taking a sabbatical year. Because of their depth and their talent, the Bruins will win the Northeast Division for a third consecutive season.

4. PITTSBURGH PENGUINS = 104 points
5. CAROLINA HURRICANES = 98 points
6. TAMPA BAY LIGHTNING = 96 points
7. PHILADELPHIA FLYERS = 95 points
8. OTTAWA SENATORS = 93 points

No Playoffs

9. FLORIDA PANTHERS = 89 points
10. NEW JERSEY DEVILS = 87 points
11. MONTREAL CANADIENS = 84 points
12. WINNIPEG JETS = 82 points
13. TORONTO MAPLE LEAFS = 81 points
14. BUFFALO SABRES = 78 points
15. NEW YORK ISLANDERS = 75 points

Full article: http://thehockeywriters.com/2012-13-...rn-conference/

After you have a chance to read the article, with reasoning for all the teams, do you agree with the predictions?

Are the Rangers really so far ahead of the field? Will the Bruins do better than 100 points?

Alan Ryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2012, 06:01 AM
Newfie Bruin

Send a message via MSN to Newfie Bruin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Ryan View Post
The Bruins must ultimately beat everyone in the East to play for the Stanley Cup.

Other threads have bits and pieces of discussion and information about the Eastern Conference for 2012-13, but no comprehensive discussion of the conference at large. This tread can fill the gap.

Let's start with one author's prediction (Fred Poulin of the Hockey Writers) for the regular season standings in the East, with reasoning for all the teams. No doubt others will follow.

2012-13 NHL regular season predictions: Eastern Conference

Playoff Teams

1. NEW YORK RANGERS = 115 points
2. WASHINGTON CAPITALS = 101 points

3. BOSTON BRUINS = 100 points
The Bruins opted for stability next season as their roster will be almost identical to last year. The most noticeable changes will be the addition of rookie defenseman Dougie Hamilton in replacement of Joe Corvo who went back to Carolina and the emergence of Tuukka Rask as the #1 goalie with all-start Tim Thomas thinking about taking a sabbatical year. Because of their depth and their talent, the Bruins will win the Northeast Division for a third consecutive season.

4. PITTSBURGH PENGUINS = 104 points
5. CAROLINA HURRICANES = 98 points
6. TAMPA BAY LIGHTNING = 96 points
7. PHILADELPHIA FLYERS = 95 points
8. OTTAWA SENATORS = 93 points

No Playoffs

9. FLORIDA PANTHERS = 89 points
10. NEW JERSEY DEVILS = 87 points
11. MONTREAL CANADIENS = 84 points
12. WINNIPEG JETS = 82 points
13. TORONTO MAPLE LEAFS = 81 points
14. BUFFALO SABRES = 78 points
15. NEW YORK ISLANDERS = 75 points

Full article: http://thehockeywriters.com/2012-13-...rn-conference/

After you have a chance to read the article, with reasoning for all the teams, do you agree with the predictions?

Are the Rangers really so far ahead of the field? Will the Bruins do better than 100 points?
Interesting, don't see Buffalo that bad, but overall, decent.

Did anyone notice the article below though,

http://thehockeywriters.com/could-a-...boston-bruins/

Newfie Bruin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2012, 06:46 AM
A Healthy Kelly*
Zigenare

Send a message via AIM to A Healthy Kelly*
That article exclusive to the B's is an interesting take on things; I hadn't thought of chemistry playing into things, but perhaps that's a contributing factor in Chiarelli's lack of action this offseason too.

It's to my understanding that Horton will in all likelihood be ready for play by the start of the regular season, even sans a lockout, but that being said, if there is one we can be assured that he'll be there to start.. which is definitely a positive, he can have an impact even not at 100%. I think that's worth mentioning.

I generally agree with the bulk of your predictions here, OP. The only thing I see differently is the Devils. I think they'll make the playoffs as the 8th seed this season. They've got enough scoring, and I have a feeling that Bernier will have a breakout year for them. He's really a hell of a player. They've also got one of my favorite D-cores, Tallinder is a horse and Volchenkov is one of my favorite players. I like their chances to do a little damage this season. Josefson could be a big surprise too. I know I praise Swedish players too much, but I've seen that guy live a ton and if he can get a little stronger, he's got the frame, the vision, and the smarts to be a top-notch 2nd line tier playmaker in this league.

A Healthy Kelly* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2012, 06:54 AM
ODAAT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newfie Bruin View Post
Interesting, don't see Buffalo that bad, but overall, decent.

Did anyone notice the article below though,

http://thehockeywriters.com/could-a-...boston-bruins/
I`m a big believer in continuity, and in spite of the early exit last season and a season that was pedestrian outside of a great 2 months, I`m a firm believer in this group. There are questions of course , Hamilton`s acclimation to the pro`s, TR`s ability to play full time #1 for both regular season and playoffs, Horty`s ability to rebound with confidence from concussion #2, but from top to bottom, high end elite talent or not, this is a team who, as this article suggests, is built on chemisty through continuity.

Too bad we may have to wait til December to watch em but...

So funny to see the Leaf prediction, man, toooooooo funny

ODAAT is offline   Reply With Quote