HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Kovalev

Old
08-16-2012, 06:23 PM
SwedishBullet62
Never go full torts.

vCash: 500
no thanks

not a torts kind of guy and not an nhl player anymore the guy brings nothing positive to the table.

SwedishBullet62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2012, 06:33 PM
Bleed Ranger Blue

A lot of people forget just how critical a component Kovalev was in '94.

In fact, I think a pure talent like that is the missing link to making this current squad a champion.

But alas, Im talking about a 21 year old Kovalev. Not the 40 year old malcontent hes become.

Bleed Ranger Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2012, 08:25 PM
Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baby Punisher View Post
The worse thing that might have happened to him was that he won a cup so early in his career. After that the drive wasn't the same say for a couple of years in Pittsburgh, even than those teams were so talented Kov had to do just enough to get by.
You're wrong about his time with the Pens. In 01-02, Kovalev was a one man gang in Pitt. The secondleading scorer was Jan Hrdina and he trailed Ak27 by at least 20 points. The year before he was 2nd banana to Jagr and a year after, he was #2 behind Mario. That 01-02 team was probably perfect for Ak27, he could hold onto the puck as long as he wanted and extend his shifts because he was the only real scoring threat.

Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2012, 08:51 PM
I Am Classless

I don't think he'd flop here or anywhere else because of his attitude. I think he'd be quiet, he'd be hungry, and he'd be grateful to have even an outside NHL chance at 40.

I just can't think of extenuating circumstances that would excuse 6 points in 22 KHL games for a skill player. He's finished.

I Am Classless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2012, 09:00 PM
Wease

Kovalev is quite possibly the most opposite player Torts would want on his team. There is no way they'll offer him a camp tryout.

Wease is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2012, 09:05 PM
Kreider Typical
flex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleed Ranger Blue View Post

In fact, I think a pure talent like that is the missing link to making this current squad a champion.

But alas, Im talking about a 21 year old Kovalev. Not the 40 year old malcontent hes become.
you're looking at skill on the wrong end. we have plenty of o. gimme a 21 y/o leetch any day

a camp invite doesn't bother me ofc. i wouldn't mind him on the cheap for a 1 year if we have cap space. we have a lot of skill to compliment him. i doubt he has the legs but i wouldn't be worried if he has the drive. we have a serious shot at the cup. i'm sure that'd be in his mind playing. maybe torts would be able to hang onto him.

on the plus a 7m shift is longer than bickel plays in 2 games

Kreider Typical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2012, 09:11 PM
Baby Punisher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief View Post
You're wrong about his time with the Pens. In 01-02, Kovalev was a one man gang in Pitt. The secondleading scorer was Jan Hrdina and he trailed Ak27 by at least 20 points. The year before he was 2nd banana to Jagr and a year after, he was #2 behind Mario. That 01-02 team was probably perfect for Ak27, he could hold onto the puck as long as he wanted and extend his shifts because he was the only real scoring threat.
I said with the expection of a couple of years in pittsburgh. I watched him quite often when he was there. Mario came back mid way though the season the year before & ESPN was airing as many Pens games as possible. Age wise that was the peak of his career. That Pens team was loaded, they had Straka too. They may have won it all had they not run into the Devils & Broduer & laid everything on Hedberg's rookie shoulders.

Baby Punisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2012, 09:15 PM
Clowes Line
Cally's Chicken Parm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kershaw View Post
Kovalev = Coach Killer
Nope. Torts wins that battle 10 times out of 10.

Torts = Kovy killer

Clowes Line is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2012, 10:18 PM
Mrpuck

Quote:

I think Kreider can be our Kovalev this time around. I am not comparing the two, but comparing the situations if/when there is a post season again.

Mrpuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2012, 05:22 AM
egelband

Seems a bit of a random move for the Rangers. I don't think they want any distractions. And Kovy's upside isn't worth it. I also suspect the Rangers are happy to have a fairly homogenous roster. What is it? Swedes and North Americans only now? I'm sure they'd love to get a Malkin, but I don't see them tinkering with the 'chemistry' for so little potential gain.

egelband is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2012, 05:27 AM
GWOW
Two Pucks, One Cup

Quote:
Originally Posted by chosen View Post
You are right about second stint. Dead wrong about first.
Sorry for not clarifying. I was talking about the second stint.

GWOW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2012, 07:01 AM
Lion Hound
@JoeTucc26

This is just NOT and old-mans game anymore. It's not a bad idea, it's a terrible idea!

Lion Hound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2012, 07:23 AM
GWOW
Two Pucks, One Cup

Kovalev is also coming off knee surgery. No thanks.

Old
08-17-2012, 09:20 AM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrpuck View Post
I think Kreider can be our Kovalev this time around. I am not comparing the two, but comparing the situations if/when there is a post season again.
I still think we lack a guy that can create offense on his own - create something out of nothing. Kovalev and his oodles of skill did that regularly when he was engaged.

Kreider is young, promising, and the same age as when Kovalev made his greatest impact as a Ranger - but the similarities stop there.

Old
08-17-2012, 09:32 AM
Crease

Greatest practice player of all time.

Crease is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2012, 09:47 AM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
I still think we lack a guy that can create offense on his own - create something out of nothing. Kovalev and his oodles of skill did that regularly when he was engaged.

Kreider is young, promising, and the same age as when Kovalev made his greatest impact as a Ranger - but the similarities stop there.
I think Nash can be that guy.

08-17-2012, 10:04 AM
Amazing Kreiderman
Night-shift fan!

vCash: 50
Kovalev caused problems every week when he was with the Rangers, both 1st and 2nd stint. He had a good 3 months leading up to the Stanley Cup win, but half that season he was *****ing and moaning about everything and underachieving. I like to remember the 3 good months of Kovalev where he didn't cause problems and got us to the SCF.

Amazing Kreiderman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2012, 10:08 AM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amazing Kreiderman View Post
Kovalev caused problems every week when he was with the Rangers, both 1st and 2nd stint. He had a good 3 months leading up to the Stanley Cup win, but half that season he was *****ing and moaning about everything and underachieving. I like to remember the 3 good months of Kovalev where he didn't cause problems and got us to the SCF.
That's just not true. He was immature at times and the talent never seemed to match the production but he was hardly a trouble maker.

He really wasn't a trouble maker his second time around either. He was indifferent. You need to care to cause problems.

SingnBluesOnBroadway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2012, 10:24 AM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway View Post
I think Nash can be that guy.
You might be right. The guy has put up good to great numbers for a decade when the best player along his side was David Vyborny.

Maybe Im just trying to hedge my bets here when it comes to the offense. I wouldnt have minded a guy like Semin, or Radulov when those rumors were around. Guys that dont "fit the mold" but have undeniable offensive talent and skill. I still think this team could use a wild card like that, with the hope that he'd buy in on a championship run like Kovalev did.

Old
08-17-2012, 10:26 AM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway View Post
That's just not true. He was immature at times and the talent never seemed to match the production but he was hardly a trouble maker.

He really wasn't a trouble maker his second time around either. He was indifferent. You need to care to cause problems.
Agreed. Its not like he was Kevin Stevens or Theo Fleury who went out of their way to embarass themselves and the organization.

What made Kovalev so frustrating (especially in his second stint) was that element of not caring.

Old
08-17-2012, 10:50 AM
Inferno
HFB Partner

i dont see what the harm in a camp invite would be...at the very least its more motivation for the kids to get them to bring their A game and not have anything handed to them.

Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2012, 11:55 AM
GWOW
Two Pucks, One Cup

Aside from Rich Kromm and Mark Osborne, Kovalev was unmatched in his ability to consistently go 15+ games without a goal, sometimes two or three times a season.

One day when I have time, I'll compile a list of all his significant goal droughts.

God, what a frustrating player.