HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

Shea Weber

Old
08-16-2012, 11:26 PM
hockeyfreak7

vCash: 500
While I agree that it's not a story (yet), it's also certainly not a non issue.

If Weber was so okay with playing in Nashville for the next 14 years (as everyone suggested on the main boards), the SPC would be signed already.

I dont think there is anything to see here yet, but this certainly has the potential to be something controversial if Weber wants it to be.

hockeyfreak7 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2012, 11:31 PM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

Quote:
Originally Posted by 35NW8ING View Post
There is no contract dispute and nothing remotely close to a holdout. Your speculation on why he hasn't signed doesn't make it a story.
I thought there was a contract dispute over the NMC/NTC?

CS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2012, 11:36 PM
Prongo
Beer

I believe Dreger also talked about a 1 year offer sheet, but Weber and his agents were more comfortable with the 14 year deal. They wanted the long term deal, not one year, with a new CBA likely eliminating longer deals.

Prongo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2012, 07:06 AM
Snotbubbles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prongo View Post
I believe Dreger also talked about a 1 year offer sheet, but Weber and his agents were more comfortable with the 14 year deal. They wanted the long term deal, not one year, with a new CBA likely eliminating longer deals.
This.

Weber did a tour of all the big market clubs. He probably (speculation on my part) floated the 14 year offer sheet at all of them. The Flyers were desperate enough to take a shot.

Snotbubbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2012, 08:19 AM
StevensCakeBakerBacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snotbubbles View Post
This.

Weber did a tour of all the big market clubs. He probably (speculation on my part) floated the 14 year offer sheet at all of them. The Flyers were desperate enough to take a shot.
So, big clubs were extending Suter 10 year offers, but you feel they were too afraid to offer Weber (the best D-man in the NHL) a 14 year deal?

The Flyers need a #1 D, and they were not desperate making their offer to NSH. If PHI was desperate they would have traded Couts+Schenn to get the Weber deal done. It's not as though they made a 14 year offer to a mediocre D-man...

StevensCakeBakerBacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2012, 09:31 AM
Snotbubbles

Quote:
Originally Posted by StevensCakeBakerBacker View Post
So, big clubs were extending Suter 10 year offers, but you feel they were too afraid to offer Weber (the best D-man in the NHL) a 14 year deal?

The Flyers need a #1 D, and they were not desperate making their offer to NSH. If PHI was desperate they would have traded Couts+Schenn to get the Weber deal done. It's not as though they made a 14 year offer to a mediocre D-man...
They weren't afraid to do a 14 year deal with Weber. They thought (and correctly so) that Nashville would match anything other than a 1 year offer sheet so they felt that going that route was foolish.

From Mike Gillis:

Quote:
“Our issue was how do you get the player,” said Gillis. “Our issue wasn’t the money. It’s how do you actually get the player on your team. Our feeling was that a contract with term probably wouldn’t allow that to happen.”

Asked why he didn’t take a flier like Philadelphia general manager Paul Holmgren, Gillis measured his answer.

“Well.” He paused, took a breath. “I guess that’s one school of thought. To me I’d rather be trying to accomplish things rather than, ‘Okay, throw something up in the air and hope that it sticks.’

“We threw around trade possibilities. We threw around every possible scenario. I spoke to him [Weber] about every possible scenario, and his agent. At the end of the day, I guess Philadelphia was prepared to take that chance.”
Philly was desperate because they actually extended the offer sheet with term.

I see a lot of well if Weber gets a NTC he can force his way to Philly. I have serious doubts that Weber has a "Philly or bust" attitude. He wanted his money he got.

Old
08-17-2012, 09:40 AM
StevensCakeBakerBacker

Quote:
They weren't afraid to do a 14 year deal with Weber. They thought (and correctly so) that Nashville would match anything other than a 1 year offer sheet so they felt that going that route was foolish.

From Mike Gillis:

Philly was desperate because they actually extended the offer sheet with term.

I see a lot of well if Weber gets a NTC he can force his way to Philly. I have serious doubts that Weber has a "Philly or bust" attitude. He wanted his money he got.
1. Now none of those teams get Weber (Flyers remain neutral, or bettered their situation since he cant go to a rival).

2. If ALL Weber wanted was money than he would have signed the SPC weeks ago, and went to whatever event NSH just had going on.

Old
08-17-2012, 10:40 AM
Snotbubbles

Quote:
Originally Posted by StevensCakeBakerBacker View Post
1. Now none of those teams get Weber (Flyers remain neutral, or bettered their situation since he cant go to a rival).

2. If ALL Weber wanted was money than he would have signed the SPC weeks ago, and went to whatever event NSH just had going on.
If the Flyers remain neutral, then so do the rivals. Except the rivals didn't remain neutral because while Philly was waiting on Weber, the rivals added a Rick Nash.

Old
08-17-2012, 11:21 AM
GoneFullHextall
adios Holmgren

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyfreak7 View Post
So it looks like Weber really thought Nashville wouldnt match. It's a shame because he could have signed a 1 year deal and been a Flyer next summer for free. What could have been.....
Nashville would of matched a 1 year offersheet quicker then the one they matched in July.
Weber may very well be pissed off, I still dont think Piolle is going to trade Weber to the Flyers so easily. Weber is going to get another 13 million from Nashville on July 1,2013 as well. Nashville sure as hell arent going to turn around and trade him less then a month of later after giving him that kind of change.
Weber is going to be a Pred for a long time. Both parties better get used to it.

GoneFullHextall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2012, 11:34 AM
StevensCakeBakerBacker

Quote:
If the Flyers remain neutral, then so do the rivals. Except the rivals didn't remain neutral because while Philly was waiting on Weber, the rivals added a Rick Nash.
1 rival added Rick Nash, not all of them. NJ and PIT both got much weaker, and Philly made it so that if they didn't get Weber he stayed in the West.

Old
08-17-2012, 01:08 PM
hockeyfreak7

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoneFullHolmgren View Post
Nashville would of matched a 1 year offersheet quicker then the one they matched in July.
Weber may very well be pissed off, I still dont think Piolle is going to trade Weber to the Flyers so easily. Weber is going to get another 13 million from Nashville on July 1,2013 as well. Nashville sure as hell arent going to turn around and trade him less then a month of later after giving him that kind of change.
Weber is going to be a Pred for a long time. Both parties better get used to it.
I meant a one year deal with Nashville. Then he could have signed with us long term as a UFA next summer.

Obviously it depends on his priorities-- would he rather have a 14 year deal for 110m or would he rather choose his destination? Considering he apparently hasn't signed his SPC yet, it's starting to seem like he may not want to be in Nashville for the next 14 years.

hockeyfreak7 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2012, 06:17 PM
MsWoof

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Shafer View Post
A potential holdout based off a contract dispute involving a marquee player is ALWAYS a story.
Except when it isn't. If his agent comes out and says he won't sign, then it's a story. If they're still trying to negotiate a NTC then he shouldn't comment. The TSN guys, on vacation or not, would be on this if there was something going on but they aren't.

Also, this talk about how he's pissed? Too bad. He wanted the money at all cost and he knew the risk of signing the offer sheet. If he had held off till next summer he could have gone wherever he wanted but he wanted mega bucks and mega term and knew there was a very good chance Nashville would match. If he hates it there so much he could have waited one more season.

MsWoof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2012, 06:46 PM
Mkoll
Inkvisiittori

vCash: 840
Quote:
Originally Posted by MsWoof View Post
Except when it isn't. If his agent comes out and says he won't sign, then it's a story. If they're still trying to negotiate a NTC then he shouldn't comment. The TSN guys, on vacation or not, would be on this if there was something going on but they aren't.

Also, this talk about how he's pissed? Too bad. He wanted the money at all cost and he knew the risk of signing the offer sheet. If he had held off till next summer he could have gone wherever he wanted but he wanted mega bucks and mega term and knew there was a very good chance Nashville would match. If he hates it there so much he could have waited one more season.
For all we know Weber is pissed at the Flyers. The Flyers FO probably assured him
"dont worry Shea we will create an offer Nashville can not afford and won't match. Trust us."

Mkoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2012, 03:56 PM
orangecrush8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mkoll View Post
For all we know Weber is pissed at the Flyers. The Flyers FO probably assured him
"dont worry Shea we will create an offer Nashville can not afford and won't match. Trust us."
There is no trust involved. Shea signed the Flyers offer. If in fact Weber wanted out of Nashville, he wouldn't have signed the offer if he believed that it could be matched.

orangecrush8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2012, 07:04 PM
Mkoll
Inkvisiittori

vCash: 840
Quote:
Originally Posted by orangecrush8 View Post
There is no trust involved. Shea signed the Flyers offer. If in fact Weber wanted out of Nashville, he wouldn't have signed the offer if he believed that it could be matched.
we really have no idea what went on...do we? sure we can make some educated guesses based on logic. However, logic may not have played a part.

Although, I seriously doubt Weber is pissed about anything.

Mkoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2012, 07:07 PM
35NW8ING
#LaviPondHockeyFail

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangecrush8 View Post
Exactly. If he wanted out of Nashville, the only way he could definitely make that happen would to play one more year and leave as a UFA. He wanted the big money over destination. Parise and Suter wanted destination first, the money was secondary.

35NW8ING is offline   Reply With Quote